Fear

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does your relationship with God include fear?
Is fear compatable with faith?
Is love based on fear really love or simply duty?
Are you afraid of the end of the world?

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

zipzaddle

Aug 11, 2018
Västmanland County / Västerås
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden

God has given Christians His Spirit, because they testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world. Anybody that confesses that Jesus is the Son of God God dwells in them and them in God. These know and believe in the love that God has for them. God is love and they that live in love live in God and God lives in them. In this matter a Christian's love is made complete that they may have fearlessness in the day of judgment, because as Jesus is so are Christians in this world. Fear has pain and complete love casts out fear. They that fear do not know God and are tormented. They that know God have no fear, because they know God is love.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does my relationship with God include fear? Yes.

Is fear compatible with faith? Yes.

Is love based on fear really love or duty? Well thats a loaded question. My love of God includes fear, but is not based on it.

Am I afraid of the end of the world? Absolutely not! I look forward to the end of this world and the beginning of how it should be again. In other words, I look forward to getting back to what was going on in Gen 1 and 2.

We look at the word "fear" wrong. It should be looked at as "respect" with the knowledge that if we reject God, there will be dire consequences.

We are told the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdim. We are told to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. Yet we are also told to boldly come before the throne and have confidence in Christ.

I cannot help but to think this fear we must have means a level of respect and seriousness. Don't take God, salvation and the sacrifice lightly. Don't take faith, grace and the two commandments lightly. Respect them and be upset if you break them.

Love God and love the brethren. Not in word or in tongue, but in deed and truth.

I respect that and I fear not doing it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

yes
yes
no
no

The fear of the Lord is a good thing...it keeps what God has separated separate. It makes it a lot easier to do the right thing. Of course when one is filled with the Spirit there is no need to fear. But at all other times the fear keeps you close...

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is fear compatible with faith?
1. There are different kinds of fear, one of them being the reverential fear of God as Judge who examines the thoughts and intents of the heart. This is perfectly in line with the truth that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

2. Then we have (a) the fear of man, which becomes a snare (b) the fear of circumstances or acts of God, which are generally beyond our control, and (c) the fear of evil spirits, which should not be found among Christians who have the Holy Spirit. These are all unhealthy fears and are the opposite of faith.

3. Then we have the proper fear of germs and infections, and that reasonable precautions need to be taken regarding these things.

4. Love cannot be based on fear, since perfect love CASTETH OUT (unhealthy) fear. And we love God because He first loved us and gave His Son for our redemption.

5. As to "the end of the world" it is really "the end of the age", which culminates with the Second Coming of Christ and everything that follows. Christians -- of all people -- have nothing to fear since they are not subject to God's wrath (which will be poured out before the Second Coming).

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1. There are different kinds of fear, one of them being the reverential fear of God as Judge who examines the thoughts and intents of the heart. This is perfectly in line with the truth that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

2. Then we have (a) the fear of man, which becomes a snare (b) the fear of circumstances or acts of God, which are generally beyond our control, and (c) the fear of evil spirits, which should not be found among Christians who have the Holy Spirit. These are all unhealthy fears and are the opposite of faith.

3. Then we have the proper fear of germs and infections, and that reasonable precautions need to be taken regarding these things.

4. Love cannot be based on fear, since perfect love CASTETH OUT (unhealthy) fear. And we love God because He first loved us and gave His Son for our redemption.

5. As to "the end of the world" it is really "the end of the age", which culminates with the Second Coming of Christ and everything that follows. Christians -- of all people -- have nothing to fear since they are not subject to God's wrath (which will be poured out before the Second Coming).
All above I would agree with you but for the 5th one, well the fact is it's not going to be a good time for anyone at all the end of the world, it's like the start and end of WW2 it was just total sh1t ! I don't want any part in such madness, fact is all you need is Jesus Christ and all any person ever needed was Jesus Christ and if this was truly the case you would not have wars and so called Christians would not feel as they do, claiming to be looking forward to the end of the world or an age. I see this as satanic, don't you all know all you need is Jesus Christ and the whole problem is fixed and that's all anyone ever needed and at the end of the world or time, well well well what will it be that you will need ? Jesus Christ in your lives ! first and foremost, now all the problems are do to not being in tune with Jesus end of story.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh the second coming is being Born Again, Jesus comes into your heart and Soul, you don't need anything more.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Far to simplicit a set of questions.

None of us comprehend the Majesty and AWEFULL splendour of God.
In revelation the sight of Jesus's coming caused terror among those who did not know him.
Terror because of his Majesty and Splendour. Terror because they suddenly knew they were doomed.

We all treat God as if he was a kind old uncle who givesout presents to 'nice children. A cosmic Santa Claus.

Anyone who has no 'AWE' for God does not know God as he truely is. Yes awe means fear.

Here's an experiment.
When you next pray, follow this:-
A= adoration of God
C= confession of failure to God
T= thank God for....................
S= now ask for what it is you were going to ask for.

It is hard work praying this way.

Reactions: Mjh29

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I need to change mine...I NO...but by rethinking I remember that Jesus said ...
"Have faith, and fear not.."
Meaning...in all our challenges and sometimes fears...we are to have more faith than fear.

Like one preacher says often.. as walking on the water was to Peter......Do it afraid...but , do it..

Then we can become overcomer's. We cannot be overcomer's if there is nothing to overcome. There cannot be a victory if there is not a battle to win.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aspen:

When I was much younger, fear did have a hold of my heart in my barely recognizable walk with God.

This fear was of sin, and sinning and when I sinned. It sometimes haunted me for years and I became a little depressed at times. As time rolled on, and my faith grew through prayer and reading the word of God, fear has become a rare commodity in my now brisk walk with God. Fear suddenly subsided as a pesky noise that eventually diminished and was barely ‘audible.’

God gave me the faith that is much stronger today. He has taught me to overcome this fear as the spirit of Christ within me overcame the world.

Whilst overcoming fear in my life, my love for God has grown tremendously. I am growing more and more into and like the spirit that Christ possessed/ possesses, and my staying power in this spirit lasts much longer before I need a ‘refill.’

I look forward to the coming of the Messiah and the ‘end’ of the world. Yes indeed-dee!

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aspen, fear and faith can grow together when it is God we speak of. As with all words, jealousy for instance, His definition is different than what the world displays as jealousy. Same as love. Same as fear. Fear in the world is torment for sure, so how can faith and fear in God grow together? I ask you to consider your pet doctrine OP. Spend a month at least going right to what you find offensive in the word. What is offensive? What verses in the OT contradict love? I’m talking of the verses that you refuse to look at because they make you question God. go search out those verses, especially where you see God as offensive to you. If you will push yourself to face those offenses and ask Him, He will show you. Then you will see how fear (in God) and faith(in God) grow together. If you don’t, you will remain offended (somewhere;somehow) in God. “blessed is he who is not offended in Me. ” Maybe you have already did this, it is just a suggestion that really changed my walk with Him.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Several good answers here even though viewed together they may to some seem to contradict each other. This is perhaps why Jesus spoke in parables and why there is a gift of speaking in an unknown tongue.

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

Reactions: bbyrd009

Small Fish

Aug 18, 2018
Boksburg
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It depends. At times when revelation comes I feel anchored and at peace, and I just want to stay in that atmosphere. I guess mostly, when I read His Word or pray, or speak to Holy Ghost filled people, I have an approach of reverence.
But when I have done wrong, I have feared Him. I have begged for mercy and feared His judgement. When I get corrected, I feal dread at times.

Scripture say that it is a fearfull thing when you land in the Hands of the Living God. I can testify to that. But in those times you know you have to keep on approaching Him if you expect to receive mercy. Take your punishment.

My grandfather remarked that when he was still in the air force, the night he received the Holy Ghost and was born again, as God's Great Presence filled the dark room where my grandfather was kneeling, that it was so overwhelming and fearfull that my grandfather wished the earth will open up and swallow him for fear of God. He was a changed man after that. Needless to say. But the love of God was evident in my grand's life to anyone who met him.

And for those who knows of William Branham, it was said that when that Angel of the Lord came down, that he went white from fear. He was at times paralyzed. Sometimes not responding to anything or anyone around him. Even stopped breathing that I know of once. The people that came near Him when that happened were petrified. My Pastor remarked "there is no question in your mind that God is real after that experience"

In Hebrews 12 it said Moses exceedingly feared and quaked and Israel did not want God to speak to them but rather Moses.

In Revelation 1 John fell like one as dead. Daniel also had a very similar experience in Daniel 10:8.

I think if more people have the experience of the fear of the Lord, Christianity in general would have been more effective globally. You will know this is real.

Yes, I fear the Lord, but I also Love Him. I want to experience Him and surrender to Him. Just Worship Him. If I need to go through these fearful moments to get there, so be it. I want Him to be real for me and those around me. Better you deal with it now while the Blood still atones.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you mean the "shaking in your boots" kind of fear-only when I was 'of the world'.
Now, saved and walking- It has turned into a reverence more than a fear...good post!

Reactions: Willie T

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you mean the "shaking in your boots" kind of fear-only when I was 'of the world'.
Now, saved and walking- It has turned into a reverence more than a fear...good post!

...BTW- I did fear my earthly father, but I never respected him- pretty much up to the day he died. He was an angry man but, did the best he could, he was broken...I did not honor him at the time and sadly, cannot honor him in life so I will in his death. After many years of struggling with seeing God as a "Perfect Father figure" because of this kind of fear, I see Him in a different light. Jesus first came to the lost in Love, not fire and brimstone. Where is the freedom in Christ? Should we not "rest in Him"? Are we not in the family of God right now? I do not believe our Perfect Father in Heaven want's us to live under the gun all the time, that is not resting in Christ and His finished work. Now I can see how fear could and should scare the unsaved but, not those that are His.

Reactions: bbyrd009