Female Pastors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
JB_ said:
Agree. Probably going for the longest thread.

As the scriptures say... A person that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself. [Titus 3:10 -11 KJV]

This thread ought to be locked!
Or maybe just renamed to 101 Ways to Gainsay Sound Doctrine & Scripture

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 ChristRoseFromTheDead
LOL, what's wrong with, you and jb, "sour grapes", have your teeth set on edge?. :D the old boys network aint working here?.

as usual empty wangons make a lot of noise. no scripture, no not one?,

This thread ought to be locked!
LOL, John 16:1 "These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. 2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me. 4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them".

Lord Jesus I remember.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7angels,

By your rationale, the bible is hardly necessary...we should only focus on what works. This argument would work well for a host of issues such as homosexuality, unmarried couples living together, and even Mormons and JWs for that matter.

Just because a male may be a poor pastor does not mean we can violate biblical teaching. Why not say, "Many heterosexuals are poor pastors, so why not have homosexual pastors? The ratonale is very weak.

The "bride of Christ" is a metaphor. It has no bearing on roles in the church. We are also called the "body of Christ." Does this mean we should have no leadership? Obviously not. Let Scripture speak and stop trying to use human reasoning to determine the will of God.

Reactions: KingJ

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wormwood

i understand why you think the way you do. but whether or not we agree on the same points regarding this topic are irrelevant. even though we don't agree on the same things concerning scripture i wish you the best. i know if i am wrong concerning my beliefs that God will reveal it to me and i will be praying for revelation to come to you with an open mind and open heart. i also pray that whether or not we agree with each other that we never stop asking questions concerning the Word and alway seek out truth no matter what we have to go through to find it.

sorry but i am not very good at explaining my beliefs but i know in my heart that they are true.

God bless

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to all who are in the faith of our Lord Jesus the Christ, greeting from the most high God.
and to wormwood, ChristRoseFromTheDead, and jb

our sister, or may I say my sister, since you are not sure. Phebe is a G1249 διάκονος diakonos (dee-ak'-on-os) n. better known as a deacon.

#1. to ChristRoseFromTheDead, you said that there was an order of deaconess in the early church. so where is the word for a deaconess in the bible that describe this?. if this is a function/office, well where is the word that describe the woman deacon as one say (deaconess). I'll be waiting for your answer.

2 worm, we have a question for you too. we do have a words for a female prophet.
prophetess
G4398 προφῆτις prophetis (prof-ay`-tis) n.
1. a female foreteller or an inspired woman
[feminine of G4396]
KJV: prophetess
Root(s): G4396
it says, [feminine of G4396] so what's G4396, the male counter part

G4396 προφήτης prophetes (prof-ay'-tace) n.
1. a foreteller ("prophet")
2. (by analogy) an inspired speaker
3. (by extension) a poet
[from a compound of ,G4253 and G5346]
KJV: prophet
Root(s): G4253, G5346
see, there is the two Greek word for a Male and female in the office of a Prophet.
but we do have the female Greek word for overseer, YES, G4368 προστάτις prostatis (pros-tat'-is) n.
1. a patroness, i.e. assistant
[feminine of a derivative of G4291]
KJV: succourer
Root(s): G4291
What's G4291,
G4291 προΐστημι proistemi (pro-is"'-tay-mee) v.
1. to stand before
2. (in rank) to preside
3. (by implication) to practise
[from G4253 and G2476]
KJV: maintain, be over, rule
Root(s): G4253, G2476
so wormwood, tell us why our sister Phebe hold this position?.
these two GREEK WORDS are for those who "OVERSEE", and "RULE".
now if our sister Phebe was the female equivalent of G4291 then she is a "OVERSEER". "BISHOP", and "ELDER" "PASTOR". so tell us wormwood how is she holding this position?.

now to jb,
the word "SERVANT" in Roman 16:1 to identify our sister Phebe, instead of the same word "DEACON". what is a servant, spiritually speaking, it's the Greek word, G32 ἄγγελος aggelos (ang'-el-os) n.
1. a messenger
2. (especially) an "angel" of God
3. (of evil, Satan) a demon
4. (by implication) a person carrying forth a message from God, i.e. a servant (a disciple, pastor, elder, prophet, etc.)
5. (also, by implication) a thing or event carrying forth a message from God, i.e. a hardship (pestilence, wind, etc.), or an animal (donkey, locusts, etc.))
[from aggello "to bring tidings" (possibly derived from G71)]
KJV: angel, messenger
Compare: G34
See also: G71
4. (by implication) a person carrying forth a message from God, i.e. a servant (a disciple, pastor, elder, prophet, etc.)

so, jb by definition, our sister Phebe is a carrier of God word, "SERVANT", just as the apostle said in acts 6:4 " But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word". they are to be SERVANT to the WORD of GOD. so our sister was a "MINISTER". a "SERVANT" of the Lord, who service was to preach the gospel. Romans 16:1 " I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea". and take note she is the equivalent of the Male in the same position,G4291 προΐστημι proistemi (pro-is"'-tay-mee). an "Overseer", "Bishop", "Pastor".
so jb can you please explain why this young woman is holding this position.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7angels,

Don't take my words as being hostile. They are not intended that way. Paul had a true heart and he was wrong in persecuting Christians. I wouldn't wait for some subjective experience to illumine you. You have the clear teaching of God's Word on this matter. Thanks for the prayers.

101G,

Prostatis is not the Greek word for a female overseer. Where are you getting this information? As I told you already, it can mean "lead, rule or direct" or it can mean "assist, help or care for." Clearly this context means the latter as Paul would hardly of said that Phoebe was ruling over or leading the Apostle Paul! Here are quotes from 4 different Greek lexicons. Notice that NOT ONE says this is the Greek word for an overseer. It was a patron or someone who took care of another with their wealth...plain and simple.
προστάτις prostátis; gen. prostátidos, fem. noun from proı̈́stēmi (4291), to set before. It meant not only a leader, ruler, or director (Sept.: 1 Chr. 27:31; 29:6; 2 Chr. 8:10), but was also used by Plutarch for the Lat. patronus, a patron, a defender of a lower person. The word denoted those in Athens who were the patrons, i.e., took care of strangers. In Rom. 16:2 it means a patroness, helper.
προστάτις, ιδος, ἡ (προΐστημι, cp. προστάτης; Cornutus 20 p. 37, 20; Lucian, Bis Accus. 29 θεὰ προστάτις ἑαυτῶν; Cass. Dio 42, 39 al.; PGM 36, 338; also pap ref. New Docs 4, 243) a woman in a supportive role, patron, benefactor (the relationship suggested by the term πρ. is not to be confused w. the Rom. patron-client system, which was of a different order and alien to Gk. tradition
προστάτις, ιδος, ἡ prostatis protectress, helper, assistant
προστάτις prostatis; fem. of a der. of 4291b; a patroness, protectress:—helper(1).

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 wormwood,
Prostatis is not the Greek word for a female overseer. Where are you getting this information?

where am I getting this information? Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries
G4368 προστάτις prostatis (pros-tat'-is) n.
understand, feminine of a derivative of G4291
and G4291 means,
1. to stand before
2. (in rank) to preside
[from G4253 and G2476]
and worm, here's a scripture to prove it out, 1 Thessalonians 5:12 "And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you".

the words "over you", is the male G4291 προΐστημι proistemi. and Phebe is the female equivelent in the same position. (feminine of a derivative of G4291), now do you understand?. so answer me.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
101G,

This is another classic example of why someone who does not know Greek should not be trying to use it to establish doctrine. Words mean what their contexts allow. This is like saying "Samson was strong" and then saying, "Melissa made a strong argument." For someone to come along and say, "See, Samson and Melissa were equally strong! The same word, "strong" is used for both of them!" One refers to physical strength and the other does not. Even though the SAME WORD is used, it does not always mean the same thing. And even if both referred to physical strength, the context determines much about the word...the same word does not mean the same thing in ever sentence. Nor does it equate the subjects to which they refer.

Moreover, prostatis and proestemi are not the same word. They are derivatives of each other but they are not the same. Again, you need to stop with the Greek. You don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well worm, you don't know GREEK. Online Parallel Bible, with its extensive word study,
http://biblesuite.com/greek/4291.htm
proistemi: I rule
Original Word: προΐστημι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: proistemi
Phonetic Spelling: (pro-is'-tay-mee)
Short Definition: I rule
Definition: I preside, rule over, give attention to, direct, maintain, practice diligently.
WORM, notice the single word "I", I rule. :D
4291 proístēmi (from 4253 /pró, "before" and 2476 /hístēmi, "to stand") – properly, "pre-standing," referring to a pre-set (well-established) character which provides the needed model to direct others, i.e. to positively impact them by example. (Impact by EXAMPLE, that's an ELDER)
4291 /proístēmi ("diligent to take the lead") (THAT'S a BISHOP), underlines the effectiveness of influencing people by having a respected reputation, i.e. one built on a solid "track-record." This happens by setting the example of excellence by living in faith (cf. Ro 12:3,8).
[See also the derivative, 4368 /prostátis, which is used of a woman who has an impressive Christian reputation (Phoebe, Ro 16:2).]

did you get that worm?. 4368 /prostátis, which is used of a woman who has an impressive Christian reputation (Phoebe, Ro 16:2).]

2 worm,
well?....... if you still didn't get it, listen
see how God, the Lord Jesus put thing right in front of you and you still can't see them. that word "succourer", which can be used as a LABORER, or HELPER in the GOSPEL. see I suspected you didn't understand the word when you said, "Clearly this context means the latter as Paul would hardly of said that Phoebe was ruling over or leading the Apostle Paul!", see your ignorance. some context understanding on your part. but now you have a basic understand of the word. lets proceed. question, what is a helper?. according to Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, notice worm, I don't just use one dictionary. Helper,
[ 2,,G4904, sunergos ]
an adjective, akin to B, No. 7, under HELP, "a fellow worker," is translated "helper" in the AV of Rom 16:3, (STOP, THIS IS SPEAKING OF OUR SISTER PHEBE). Rom 16:9, RV, "fellow worker;" in 2Cor 1:24, AV and RV, "helper;" in 2Cor 8:23, AV, "fellow helper," RV, "fellow worker;" so the plural in 3John 1:8. See CAMPANION, LABORER, etc.

now worm, lets see this word in uses in scriptures, 1 Thessalonians 3:2 "And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith". HOLD IT, two things, Timothy here is identified as a fellowlabourer in the GOSPEL. and two he's also called a minister of God. now what do you think that word "minister" means here, that's right G1249 διάκονος diakonos (dee-ak'-on-os) n.
1. an attendant, a servant
2. (genitive case) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties)
3. (specially) a male Christian serving in a specific function and post (i.e. tending the widows and the poor, teaching, pastoring, etc)
[probably from an obsolete diako "to run on errands"]
KJV: deacon, minister, servant
question what is our sister at the church of Cenchrea?. that's right a MINISTER, of the GOSPEL. G1249 διάκονος diakonos (dee-ak'-on-os) n. the same as Timothy. now aint that something. but now in Romans 16:2 she is being approved, or commended, by the apostle Paul to moved up into the "OVERSEER" position in ROME.
see worm, you still don't know Greek, because that word "Commend" is appoint, or ordain. now get this, "to commit to one's charge". (LOL). :blink: say what?. that's right "to commit to one's charge".

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4368 /prostátis, which is used of a woman who has an impressive Christian reputation (Phoebe, Ro 16:2).]

Did you get that 101G? "impressive reputation" Not female elder. Not teacher. "Impressive reputation." THERE IS NO GREEK WORD FOR FEMALE ELDER. Quit making stuff up.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
G4368 προστάτις prostatis (pros-tat'-is) n.
feminine of a derivative of G4291
and G4291 means,
1. to stand before
2. (in rank) to preside
[from G4253 and G2476]

feminine of a derivative of G4291
maintain, be over, rule

get that, LOL.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you don't seem to understand is that the word means "patron." The ROOT of the word derives from ruling. The English word "understanding" is comprised of two roots "under" and "stand". Thus, the word pictures someone underneath something cognitively. However, the ROOTS "under" and "stand" do not override the actual meaning of the compound word "understanding." The root gives us a sense of the word, but the root does not define the word.

Your rationale would be like arguing that in order for someone to "understand" something, they have to be "standing" because they have the same ROOT/derivative. Maybe that is why I don't understand your word studies...im in the wrong posture.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 worm
Word Origin
fem. of a derivation of proistémi
do you know what derivation mean?
derivation: 1, the source from which something is derived; origin. 2. the systematic description of such processes in a given language.
you do know what description means here in the source? . what the female is, was derived from the male. simply put what the position the male is in as like wise is the female.

How hard is that?.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I think im far more aware of language studies than you realize. The word protozoa is derived from two Greek words, protos "first" and zoe "life." Its an evolutionary idea that a single celled organism is less evolved than a multicelled organism. However, the etymology of this word does not define it. Protozoa are not the "first life." Greek is not much different than English. Words are defined more by their context than they are their origins or how the word was derived. Tell me, can you actually read a Greek sentence without looking up every word in a lexicon? Just a simple answer, yes or no?

One more question. Since the Greeks had a word (in your crazy view) of a female overseer. Can you give me one 1st century reference of a female overseer in a Jewish synagogue? I mean, surely if such a position had its own word, we can find all kinds of historical examples.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me, can you actually read a Greek sentence without looking up every word in a lexicon? Just a simple answer, yes or no? NO

and two you better examine every word in the sentence.

Now back to what I have said, is G4368 προστάτις prostatis (pros-tat'-is) n.
is it feminine of a derivative of G4291 a YES or NO.

well worm, a yes or no will do.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't think so. You should quit trying to discuss linguistics.

Yes. However, you are confusing derivative with inflection. A derivative is a different word formed from the same root. Determine and determination are two different words with the same root. The words do not mean the same thing but they are both derived from the same root word. Inflection is the same word with different endings. Cough, coughing, and coughed are all the same word with different inflections that indicate their tense (coughing is a participle).

Thus, these two words are not the same word with different inflections that indicate male and female. They are DIFFERENT WORDS with DIFFERENT MEANINGS.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
since worm can't answer, lets Look at this male position which Phebe is the female counterpart.
STRONGS NT 4291: προΐστημι
προΐστημι: 2 aorist infinitive προστῆναι; perfect participle προεστώς; present middle προισταμαι; from Homer, Iliad 4, 156 down;

1. in the transitive tenses to set or place before; to set over.

2. in the perfect pluperfect and 2 aorist active and in the present and imperfect middle a. to be over, to superintend, preside over (A. V. rule) (so from Herodotus down): 1 Timothy 5:17; with a genitive of the person or thing over which one presides, 1 Thessalonians 5:12; 1 Timothy 3:4f, 12.
b. to be a protector or guardian; to give aid (Euripides, Demosthenes, Aeschines, Polybius): Romans 12:8 ((others with A. V. to rule; cf. Fritzsche at the passage; Stuart, commentary, excurs. xii.)). (sound like our sister Phebe)

c. to care for, give attention to: with a genitive of the thing, καλῶν ἔργων, Titus 3:8, 14; for examples from secular writings see Kypke and Lösner; (some (cf. R. V. marginal reading) would render these two examples profess honest occupations (see ἔργον, 1); but cf. ἔργον, 3, p. 248b middle and Field, Otium Norv. pars iii, at the passage cited).

well worm, it it a yes or a NO.

Determine and determination are two different words with the same root.

Determine and determination do they mean the same thing Yes or No

worm, understand, OK, listen, feminine of a derivative of G4291. do you see the two "of".
Look up the word "OF" and view the meaning. dictionary. com is a good to reference this.
#2. (used to indicate derivation, origin, or source): a man of good family; the plays of Shakespeare; a piece of cake.

Now read it slow, feminine of a derivative of G4291

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did answer. Slow down and read.

Yes. However, you are confusing derivative with inflection.

No. Determine and determination are not the same word.

Noun - Determination

1. Firmness of purpose; resoluteness.
  2. The process of establishing something exactly, typically by calculation or research.

Verb - Determine

1. Cause (something) to occur in a particular way.
  2. Firmly decide: "she determined to tackle him the next day"; "he determined on a plan".

Now I'm giving both Greek AND English lessons. I cant believe I have to show you that determine and determination are defined differently.