Fencing the table?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all. What type of communion does your church offer? Ie. closed, open, etc.

also, do you use grape juice or wine, or both?

how many of yall dont take communion because of paul’s warnings?

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On most churches I’ve been to (Greek Orthodox) the communion is open except for one of them. They’re a bit strict for some reason and won’t accept anyone who isn’t baptized.
All the churches use wine.

I don’t understand “Paul’s warning” though in regards to communion.

Reactions: Pythagorean12

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Methodists, of course, practice open communion:

Christ our Lord invites to his table all who love him,
who earnestly repent of their sin
and seek to live in peace with one another.

John Wesley being a tee-totaler (and not wanting to put stumbling blocks in the paths of recovering alcoholics), we use grape juice.

We do have one couple who quietly slips out the back during communion. I never asked them why; Paul’s warning could be the reason.

Reactions: Cassandra

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On most churches I’ve been to (Greek Orthodox) the communion is open except for one of them. They’re a bit strict for some reason and won’t accept anyone who isn’t baptized.
All the churches use wine.

I don’t understand “Paul’s warning” though in regards to communion.

Paul discussed who can and cant take communion.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Communion? I do not partake in doing it because haven't been to a church in such a long time on a Sunday. There is a lot of scriptural text on the notions of having communion. To me personally, when thinking about communion in the general sense, my thoughts go on to seeing and remembering what the Lord Jesus Christ had done for not just my own life, but for all lives and to show gratitude towards the Father in heaven for such a great free gift. That because of God working through the Lord Jesus Christ. The people of Israel wanted a king however they rejected Jesus as their king and instead chose Csaer to be their king.

That is what some of my thoughts run to when I heard communion.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all. What type of communion does your church offer? Ie. closed, open, etc.

For more than 35 years I have taken no communion at all according to the traditions I see as developed by men based on the type presented by Jesus in what is called today, "The Last Supper". That was the sharing the bread and the wine... But it was the last type because the Reality would soon be available to anyone who would partake of the Body and Blood of Jesus and thus, Life itself:

Joh 6:48 I am that bread of life.
Joh 6:49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
Joh 6:50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
Joh 6:52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

The flesh, that is the flesh of Jesus, is the Word of God.
The blood, that is, the blood of Christ, is the Holy Spirit.
Why not partake of more dead manna in the wilderness rather than in what Jesus brought for us?

What did Jesus bring?

Did they did receive it at that Last Supper table or was the beginning when the Holy Spirit was poured out on that day of Pentecost as per Acts chapter 2?

Reactions: MatthewG

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Lifelong_sinner In the end it's good for the local congregation to take responsibility for who it is that partakes of the Lord's Supper.

Inevitably one place will be slightly different from another; but this is all part of the beauty of letting local congregations take responsibility; Acts 20, etc. (Trying to impose rules on congregations from a distance does not seem the right way to proceed.)

Reactions: marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Communion? I do not partake in doing it because haven't been to a church in such a long time on a Sunday. There is a lot of scriptural text on the notions of having communion. To me personally, when thinking about communion in the general sense, my thoughts go on to seeing and remembering what the Lord Jesus Christ had done for not just my own life, but for all lives and to show gratitude towards the Father in heaven for such a great free gift. That because of God working through the Lord Jesus Christ. The people of Israel wanted a king however they rejected Jesus as their king and instead chose Csaer to be their king.

That is what some of my thoughts run to when I heard communion.
@MatthewG Interesting that the breaking of bread is mentioned as one of the activities of the early believers in Acts 2.42.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @farouk, reading 1 John 5; 2 John; 3rd John, and Jude a little while ago.

Seems the last days were completely arising in that time then that they were written. People completely rejected, Jesus Christ. The rejected the Author of Life; the anointed one who gives life was willingly denied.

It was very interesting to read all of what the scripture has to say if you take time enough to consider what it is saying.

Am very thankful for God and the Lord Jesus Christ and what they have been able to do for the entire world.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello @farouk, reading 1 John 5; 2 John; 3rd John, and Jude a little while ago.

Seems the last days were completely arising in that time then that they were written. People completely rejected, Jesus Christ. The rejected the Author of Life; the anointed one who gives life was willingly denied.

It was very interesting to read all of what the scripture has to say if you take time enough to consider what it is saying.

Am very thankful for God and the Lord Jesus Christ and what they have been able to do for the entire world.
@MatthewG Those are very searching Epistles, indeed...