Should we use wine or grape juice for communion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 26:

27And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”
Pulpit Commentary:

The offspring of the vine is a poetical way of describing wine (cf. Deuteronomy 22:9; Isaiah 32:12, etc.). It is absurd to find in this term an argument for unalcoholic grape juice. Wine, to be wine, must undergo fermentation, and if it is not to putrefy or to become vinegar, it must develop alcohol.
You can't keep grape juice from naturally fermenting into wine without refrigeration. Historically, alcoholic wine was used in the Last Supper.

What about today?

If you want to stick to historical context, you should use wine. Moreover, to be consistent, you would also need to use unleavened bread. However, that is not necessary. Today, we can keep grape juice in the fridge and some people, like me, are sensitive to alcohol. So grape juice is more suitable for more people, including kids. The important point is to understand that the drink represents the blood of Jesus.

Either is fine. For my taste, I prefer grape juice :)

Reactions: Lambano and Bob

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 26:

Pulpit Commentary:

You can't keep grape juice from naturally fermenting into wine without refrigeration. Historically, alcoholic wine was used in the Last Supper.

What about today?

If you want to stick to historical context, you should use wine. Moreover, to be consistent, you would also need to use unleavened bread. However, that is not necessary. Today, we can keep grape juice in the fridge and some people, like me, are sensitive to alcohol. So grape juice is more suitable for more people, including kids. The important point is to understand that the drink represents the blood of Jesus.

Since Jesus was observing Passover with his Disciples while still under the Old Covenant, why would he recommend they continue to observe it in the same way under the New Covenant? It seems they did not, because in transmitting the custom to the Gentile world, who had never been under the Law, parts of the custom were retained while others became unnecessary.

The elements of the Law that were transitory were no longer necessary, since Christ had fulfilled them. But remembering him was the central thing, even though the practice was initiated before he left them.

So in order to "remember Jesus" we don't have to remember him by viewing him in OT terms, since he is no longer there. We can use the bread and the wine in any way that helps us to remember him and to remember that we directly participate in him spiritually in order to benefit from his redemption and in order to reproduce in our lives his virtues.

In other words, I generally agree with your sentiments. Thanks for raising the question--it's another good one.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One positive development I see today is the use of gluten-free bread in the Eucharist. This allowed my father (who had severe gluten allergies) to take Communion after 50 years of being forced to abstain.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I remember (several decades ago) hearing a talk from someone who had served as a missionary in a remote part of Thailand or Burma (I can't now remember which) . In that area, neither bread nor wine were available, so for communion they used rice (dipping hands into the same bowl instead of eating from the same loaf) and tea.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember (several decades ago) hearing a talk from someone who had served as a missionary in a remote part of Thailand or Burma (I can't now remember which) . In that area, neither bread nor wine were available, so for communion they used rice (dipping hands into the same bowl instead of eating from the same loaf) and tea.
I love that!

A young man from my old Bible Study group came from a remote island nation in the Pacific. We were studying the Gospel of John, and he joked that if Jesus had come to his country instead of Israel, John 6:35 would read, "I am the bananas and coconuts of Life". :jest:

I chuckle, but I can also see a profound truth in that.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyChanYT

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 26:

Pulpit Commentary:

What about today?

Neither, both give me terrible stomach pain. I recently had flu symptoms that lasted on an off for 3 months accompanied by terrible stomach discomfort. The doctor assured me it was nothing more than stomach acid. So I cut out my daily drink of grape juice and haven't had any problems since.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both.... And.... You should have members over for a full meal/supper! No thin wafers or cracker bits followed by a Thimble full... of what ever.... in the last 10min of your Chruch service.

Did you know for the first 1500 plus years... only the Catholic prest took communion...You just got to watch...

Think about it.... Things have not gotten better....

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I love that!

A young man from my old Bible Study group came from a remote island nation in the Pacific. We were studying the Gospel of John, and he joked that if Jesus had come to his country instead of Israel, John 6:35 would read, "I am the bananas and coconuts of Life". :jest:

I chuckle, but I can also see a profound truth in that.
How about "Give us this day our daily rice"?

Reactions: Lambano

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Should we use wine or grape juice for communion?​

The communion trays are made with two levels. a small raised on in ther middle, and a larger surrounding area. Since the consumption of alcoholic beverages is NOT forbidden Biblically, but certain people could be injured by partaking (alcoholics), depending on the individual denomination's beliefs, the center section is either for "the real stuff", with Welch's in the larger portion, or vice-versa. Welch's was specifically created for Communion use, with alcoholism problems as the driving consideration.

Some folks feel strongly that WINE SHOULD BE USED, and others (like myself) couldn't care less. My only PERSONAL ADDICTION was to Cigarettes (Long story). Addictions are essentially violations of the FIRST COMMANDMENT (no other gods) Pall Malls were a god that I served with single-minded devotion for years.

The Bible, while not forbidding alcoholic beverages, does present guidelines where THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED (Rulers, Judges, Nazarites, etc.). It recommends wine for celebratory occasions (like wedding feasts - the first recorded miracle), and STRONG DRINK for those that are mourning. Some folks actually believe the Jesus made "Grape juice" for the wedding celebration. BETTER grape juice in fact than was originally supplied.

One of the deacons in a former AG church was unable to either drink anything alcoholic, OR even to take pain deadening medication because of his addictions.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the deacons in a former AG church was unable to either drink anything alcoholic, OR even to take pain deadening medication because of his addictions.
So glad He came to Christ! And a deacon too. Makes me happy!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The communion trays are made with two levels. a small raised on in ther middle, and a larger surrounding area. Since the consumption of alcoholic beverages is NOT forbidden Biblically, but certain people could be injured by partaking (alcoholics), depending on the individual denomination's beliefs, the center section is either for "the real stuff", with Welch's in the larger portion, or vice-versa. Welch's was specifically created for Communion use, with alcoholism problems as the driving consideration.
John Wesley was of a similar opinion, and my understanding is that the Methodist Discipline prohibits the use of wine in Communion. I should probably fact check that.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know for the first 1500 plus years... only the Catholic prest took communion..
This is wrong......
Catholic priests did not exist until the 4th century.
Communion has always been a congregation event.
Now if you want to talk about the Host.....and only the priest drinking the wine, that is a different topic.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some folks feel strongly that WINE SHOULD BE USED, and others (like myself) couldn't care less. My only PERSONAL ADDICTION was to Cigarettes (Long story). Addictions are essentially violations of the FIRST COMMANDMENT (no other gods) Pall Malls were a god that I served with single-minded devotion for years.

The Bible, while not forbidding alcoholic beverages, does present guidelines where THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED (Rulers, Judges, Nazarites, etc.). It recommends wine for celebratory occasions (like wedding feasts - the first recorded miracle), and STRONG DRINK for those that are mourning. Some folks actually believe the Jesus made "Grape juice" for the wedding celebration. BETTER grape juice in fact than was originally supplied.

Well Christianity does not need to conform to people’s issues. So Sam has issues with gluttony so all church dinners are canceled? So George is homosexual so no males are allowed to attend church for fear of tempting him? Bill has diabetes so no more cakes or pies at church dinners?

Christianity is not a theory focus group. But that does not mean you cannot make accommodations in certain circumstances…..For people that do not like alcohol or like it too much or cannot take the sugar they can sit in an area that they are given sugar free Kool-aid.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 26:

Pulpit Commentary:

What about today?

Drink wine for communion….

Wine is wine. The people in this era definitely knew what wine and new wine was. The term new wine actually means the intent would be to make it into wine. There is no example in the scriptures of someone mixing wine with water. Christ used the wine as His blood…. “This is my watered down blood” No that is not what He said and He knew the difference. He was not providing a watered down sacrifice or a watered down salvation…. it is the real thing.

At the marriage at Cana He did not turn water into watered down wine it was described as fine wine. Paul did not tell timothy to drink watered down wine for his stomach.

Historically the symbolic connection between blood and wine is there. Today some people have a negative view of wine and want to change the scriptures accordingly. Christ never reflected that….

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 26:

Pulpit Commentary:

What about today?

On the other hand I agree with you, usually I do not care if it is kool-aid and crackers. I go to a lot of different churches. So it is what they do. The reason I do not care is that I do not believe that you have to do communion often. On occasion I will particapte in a more exact communion….A person reads the scriptures and the person at the head of table takes a glass of wine and take drink and passes the glass around….same thing for the unleavened bread… breaks a piece off and hands it around the table.

I also believe in foot washing.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Christianity does not need to conform to people’s issues.
Absolutely true!!! But we're not talking about "Christianity" - just "religious tradition", and "meeting formats" - all of which have nothing to do with being Born Again, or maturing in the FAITH. So no problem with making adjustments to how things are done.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Wesley was of a similar opinion, and my understanding is that the Methodist Discipline prohibits the use of wine in Communion. I should probably fact check that.
Not "prohibited", but juice is "Recommended".

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should we use wine or grape juice for communion?​

Should we use water or H2O?