1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Finding a church

Discussion in 'The Church Forum' started by Windmillcharge, Oct 7, 2021.

1. amadeus

amadeus Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    [​IMG]

michaelvpardo likes this.
  2. michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You're a funny guy, but I get your point. There are proper rules for exegetical study, biblical hermeneutics, but Christ isn't received through scholarship, nor is spiritual understanding.

bbyrd009 and GRACE ambassador like this.
  3. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    :rolleyes:

4. MatthewG

MatthewG Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thankfully the days of playing church are really over. In my opinion @michaelvpardo

5. MatthewG

MatthewG Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I’ll go to any church I desire,

and I’ll see flaws all the time,

we are flawed human beings

To teach the word comes at a price of teaching it and trying exegesis and all those things properly introducing history and backgrounds and cultures and the times of the people is really time consuming, so that people can learn and expand in their knowledge of God.

that is what I would like to try to aim for, growth of those who are seeking to know the Bible and what it has to say.

6. amigo de christo

amigo de christo Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    March on in the glorious Lord . And let the LORD be praised

7. GRACE ambassador

GRACE ambassador Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Amen! My last (of several) baptist pastors, was quizzed by me,
    after I had studied a "Baptism And The Bible" book that I found in/
    /borrowed (secretly) from his library. Not necessarily was it "a
    challenge," but more like a (life-long professional) student
    searching for the Truth:

Are all of Paul's Scriptures, excepting 1Co_1:14-17, about
    "Spiritual" baptism? His answer was: "Yes, but (red flag?)
    we have to remember water baptism." (TWO baptisms?)

After more prayer, review of Scripture, and more prayer, I did as
    you say: "shook the dust from my feet." Of course the people,
    our friends, "loved us," as my wife had cancer, and God sent us
    our Special blind daughter ("angel" Now 31!), and they brought
    us meals to help out.

After we left, the pastor brought a couple of elders to visit and find
    out "why" we left. After explaining the "New (Never-Before-heard)
    doctrine" of ONE Baptism, I had studied, then he finished with:
    "In our fellowship group, we Disagree with the teacher you have
    been reading and studying with."

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but, to me, that didn't
    sit very well, because after pondering it, this came to mind:

"JESUS Came To His Own (with Truth), and they
    received Him not...(Disagreed?)...crucifying Him,"
    Correct?​

So that, Also "with God's Math, ie: ONE does not Equal two,"
    solidified my decision to depart. Have Never looked back.

A very few have responded to my (challenging?) "Divider" Poll...
    about this (apparently NON-important?) doctrine of ONE Baptism.
    Of course, perchance, I am being "divisive"?

GRACE And Peace...

8. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Awesome, sister. I completely understand and "the Lord our provider" is certainly one of my favorite names of God. He knows our need and meets it. He's entirely faithful and makes me wish that I were as well. May the Lord bless you, keep you close, and bless you in every way according to His great and awesome promises. Amen.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Ziggy likes this.
  9. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I agree, and the pastoral Epistles exhort us to avoid putting the spiritually young into leadership positions as this can be a form of temptation and a cause for a fall.

I left the church where I was baptized as an adult, not for any fault of the pastor or congregation except a certain jealous guarding of ministries within the church, a fault picked up from the Pastor himself. My former wife and I found no place for ministry, even as helpers. We wanted to grow and how does one grow without using the gifts that God gives?

A small congregation may not have much room for service, but denying help is either prideful or selfish. We became members at our second church because they encouraged ministry participation in a normal order starting with limited responsibilities and increasing them according to demonstrated gifts. We remained there comfortably for about 7 years and had a lot of opportunity to serve in various capacities. I didn't mind raking gravel in the parking lot, but was willing to stand behind the pulpit (with a little fear and trembling). The Lord makes His church prosper. We're just vessels that He uses and blesses in the process.

amadeus and Pearl like this.
  10. amigo de christo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Ps , ziggy is a sister . Just reminding . Now let all that draws breath praise and thank the glorious LORD .

Ziggy, amadeus, Pearl and 1 other person like this.
  11. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It wasn't the kindest thing for me to say, and my desire is to see new life, but there's a reason that the Lord snatched me out of their grip as a child. I don't question the wisdom of God.

amadeus likes this.
  12. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thanks. I had no clue.

Ziggy and amigo de christo like this.
  13. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You may be right. I don't receive broadcast TV out in the boonies, and cable TV is way too expensive here, but I need internet service to use my phone at home and just stream news and entertainment. ABC has a segment for "faith fridays" and their lady "reverend" talks about things like "karma" and reminds me of an old Flip Wilson skit on "the church of what's happening now."

I don't know how men like Joel Osteen are doing these days, but frauds find ways to prosper.

Ziggy, amadeus and amigo de christo like this.
  14. amigo de christo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I will answer them according to the IDOLS of their heart . Joel and others are and have become very rich
    and yet they are poor blind and naked .
    If we read the bible , It says they teach deciet and etc , and therefore they have waxed RICH .
    ITS a delusion . THEY think they hear from GOD .
    JESUS I KNOW HEARD FROM GOD and HE teaches , BEWARE of covetouness , for a man life consists not the the abundance of what he possess .
    YET these teach and say and twist what JESUS said , WHEN HE SAID I HAVE COME TO GIVE THEM LIFE
    and LIFE ABUNDANTELY , into a LOVE OF MONEY SERMON . YET JESUS said STORE NOT UP
    YET JESUS warned of covetousness . THEY are being answered according to the idols of their hearts .
    I say , COVET THE GLORIOUS LORD JESUS and LOVE AND EMBRACE UPON THE HEART all THINGS HE DID TEACH and SAY .
    LET THE HEART CLING TO THE LORD . Many decievers have abounded and now
    are being given over even unto a very strong delusion . THE LIE . The lie of the braod way and the broad path unto GOD .
    AKA , the DELUSION OF THE ALL INCLUSION . And its sucking up whole houses and churches now
    as they cry UNITY , let us be one and have made their bed with a HARLOT for said unity . WE MUST resist the lie
    through FAITH IN JESUS . NOW MARCH ON in the GLORIOUS LORD my friends .

Ziggy, amadeus and michaelvpardo like this.
  15. michaelvpardo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well, I'm not sure what you're specifically defining as that doctrine (or whoever is defining it,) but there's only One Holy Spirit, so identifying with Christ in His death by receiving His Spirit is one baptism and the only one that counts toward salvation. The ordinance of Baptism, whether being sprinkled or dunked, is just an act of obedience to identify with the congregation and be recognized with the making of the good confession before men and justified according to Christ's teaching.

“Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. Matthew 10:32
    I know that this is a contentious topic, but the value is in the confession and identification, and for most of us, not in taking a bath.

16. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    while i dont know for sure, i have a feeling that what we call “church” now are deemed “love feasts” by the Bible, which would change the dynamic there quite a bit i guess, but one point might be that we are now worried about abandoning our love feasts, and not Church, having mis-labeled “Church”
    ah, did the number work for you? It just struck me as a commentary that it was disconnected; doesnt mean that it is though i guess
    well, id agree with “counterfeit” maybe, but as much as i dislike Rome, i guess we also still need Rome, kinda weird. Plus, we are all in some sort of counterfeit anyway, imo; Protestants are really in the same boat as Catholics imo, just different window-dressing, both cult of sol invictus, no disagreement between them on any essential matters that i can find

and Catholic Charities is the best modern example of “storehouse” that i have been able to find; they help anyone in need! Although i guess they are more like a satellite of the RCC

michaelvpardo and amadeus like this.
  17. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I was once a sincere, faithful to God, young Catholic altar boy. I never had any serious complaints about Catholics as a whole when I was among them... but I honestly did not know much. I never even owned a Bible then.

As a practicing Catholic I was blessed by God and cannot ever forget or deny that... even though God did bring me out of there a great many years ago.

Off the top of my head, today, I would not recommend that any person join the Catholic Church. However, I do not always know God's pathway for other people, so I try stand back in silence unless a person or God presses me to speak... We need to be careful about letting people do that.

Since my participation in online forums began more than 20 years ago, I have encountered at least two Catholics, who, to me, presented better walks with God than many of the apparently Protestant members. One of them was on this forum.

Give God the glory!

Ziggy, michaelvpardo and bbyrd009 like this.
  18. amigo de christo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Just remember this , we cannot be faithful to GOD and to men who are and have gone wrong .
    Yes we do learn as we grow . but a lamb will feed from its bible and by the SPIRIT it will learn and grow .
    This is why out of great love for the souls of men i warn any and all who are in a false place to get out
    and yes i do name names of false teachers .
    As did paul ,
    Today we have been taught not to name names . But i say we must protect the sheep .
    And thus we would do all for their sake to call them out of any dangerous place
    and also warn one not to enter into any such deadly place . Believe it or not , ITS NOT HATE for me to do such a thing .
    ITS LOVE , ITS TRUE LOVE that comes FROM GOD . FOR as HE desires not one to perish , well by HIS grace
    I NOW DESIRE none to perish . thus i warn .

19. amigo de christo

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    POINT TO CHRIST and let it be the BIBLICAL ONE . HE ALONE is who saves and can keep us safe and from falling .
    And any true lamb who has grown in the grace would also do all to keep others far from dangerous places and dangerous men
    and dangerous doctrine which has taken many captive to a lie .
    Now pull those boots on and let us finish the race . DOING all as did the early church leaders , as did CHRIST to protect
    the SHEEP . For it is by HIM , HIS SPIRIT that seasoned lambs would protect and speak and warn and exhort .

20. amadeus

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I am not disagreeing with you, my friend. You must do what God leads you to do to help others in need of help... most especially those who really want to be helped. My calling is not precisely the same, but we certainly agree that God's purposes are altogether good. Lots of warnings are in order!