Finding Hope in Times of Darkness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not trying to be rude, but darkness is often not ok at all. You need to both see and feel the light

I would argue that it is sometimes inevitable but also sometimes our hardships make us stronger. Nobody knew suffering like Christ himself and pretty much ALL of the prophets suffered.

Romans 5:3-4

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Darkness isn't in itself a good thing but God knows how to use it. What about Jesus in the desert?

Matthew 4:1

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Now why do you think that is?

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Nancy

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would argue that it is sometimes inevitable but also sometimes our hardships make us stronger. Nobody knew suffering like Christ himself and pretty much ALL of the prophets suffered.

Romans 5:3-4

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Darkness isn't in itself a good thing but God knows how to use it. What about Jesus in the desert?

Matthew 4:1

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Now why do you think that is?
You should not be suffering, if you feel that you are you need help. It's that simple

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should not be suffering, if you feel that you are you need help. It's that simple

Alvertsky, 11 of the 12 disciples died horrible deaths as martyrs. Jesus was hung on a cross after being beaten.

We have something in our culture today, partly contributed with the pressure of social media, called "toxic positivity" which is the culture that follows the idea that we have to be perfect and positive all of the time. But the denial isn't healthy and being open about it is, because this is a broken world it will always have some form of suffering in one way or another. Telling people in their suffering to just "be happy" has and never will work. That is why the gospel gives us hope.

The Bible is the opposite of toxic positivity, and instead tells us forthright that life is hard and hardships will come, and the point is that it teaches us how to endure and overcome with faith, love, and hope, and that our answer despite it all is Christ.

That is why Revelation 21:4, "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Jesus himself said that we would have trouble in this life. John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

Meaning God knows that it is hard and that God has a greater gift for us more precious than we will ever find on earth. It doesn't exist here. We are not in Heaven. We don't worship God for the belief that life will suddenly be great if we come to him and we never suffer again. We worship God because we know it is truth, and his word is truth, and his word being truth is honest. Pain exists, Jesus Christ is our comfort.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alvertsky, 11 of the 12 disciples died horrible deaths as martyrs. Jesus was hung on a cross after being beaten.

We have something in our culture today, partly contributed with the pressure of social media, called "toxic positivity" which is the culture that follows the idea that we have to be perfect and positive all of the time. But the denial isn't healthy and being open about it is, because this is a broken world it will always have some form of suffering in one way or another. Telling people in their suffering to just "be happy" has and never will work. That is why the gospel gives us hope.

The Bible is the opposite of toxic positivity, and instead tells us forthright that life is hard and hardships will come, and the point is that it teaches us how to endure and overcome with faith, love, and hope, and that our answer despite it all is Christ.

That is why Revelation 21:4, "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Jesus himself said that we would have trouble in this life. John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

Meaning God knows that it is hard and that God has a greater gift for us more precious than we will ever find on earth. It doesn't exist here. We are not in Heaven. We don't worship God for the belief that life will suddenly be great if we come to him and we never suffer again. We worship God because we know it is truth, and his word is truth, and his word being truth is honest. Pain exists, Jesus Christ is our comfort.
Quote, 11 of the 12 disciples died horrible deaths as martyrs. Jesus was hung on a cross after being beaten.

The fact is that you are obsessed with death and suffering, this is just not normal. It is possible to create ones own pain and suffering you know. So do you ever think of nice things? Or just pain and death

man psych exams are sure fun

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him You may have forgotten that Job did struggle and lament over his sufferings. And still, God said that he was a righteous man. He went through intense suffering and didn't understand why.... yet, he still clinged to God.

Job 3 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹ After this opened Job his mouth, and cursed his day. ² And Job spake, and said, ³ Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived. ⁴ Let that day be darkness; let not God regard it from above, neither let the light shine upon it. ⁵ Let darkness and the shadow of death stain it; let a cloud dwell upon it; let the blackness of the day terrify it. ⁶ As for that night, let darkness seize upon it; let it not be joined unto the days of the year, let it not come into the number of the months. ⁷ Lo, let that night be solitary, let no joyful voice come therein. ⁸ Let them curse it that curse the day, who are ready to raise up their mourning. ⁹ Let the stars of the twilight thereof be dark; let it look for light, but have none; neither let it see the dawning of the day: ¹⁰ Because it shut not up the doors of my mother's womb, nor hid sorrow from mine eyes. ¹¹ Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly? ¹² Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck? ¹³ For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest, ¹⁴ With kings and counsellors of the earth, which built desolate places for themselves; ¹⁵ Or with princes that had gold, who filled their houses with silver: ¹⁶ Or as an hidden untimely birth I had not been; as infants which never saw light. ¹⁷ There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at rest. ¹⁸ There the prisoners rest together; they hear not the voice of the oppressor. ¹⁹ The small and great are there; and the servant is free from his master. ²⁰ Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul; ²¹ Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures; ²² Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave? ²³ Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in? ²⁴ For my sighing cometh before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters. ²⁵ For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. ²⁶ I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came.

The way we handle adversity and suffering is very important.

Job 1 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ²⁰ Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, ²¹ And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. ²² In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

And if anyone believes we shouldn't suffer or won't suffer, consider this....

Romans 8 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹⁷ And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. ¹⁸ For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

“Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” — 2 Timothy 3:12 (KJV)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote, 11 of the 12 disciples died horrible deaths as martyrs. Jesus was hung on a cross after being beaten.

The fact is that you are obsessed with death and suffering, this is just not normal. It is possible to create ones own pain and suffering you know. So do you ever think of nice things? Or just pain and death

man psych exams are sure fun
What would you have said to Job in his sufferings? You do believe Job was a real person, right?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him You may have forgotten that Job did struggle and lament over his sufferings. And still, God said that he was a righteous man. He went through intense suffering and didn't understand why.... yet, he still clinged to God.

Yes indeed. It's never easy, that I agree. I had genuine concern when I was going thru my stuff. But in the middle of the sufferings there's just something that rises up in you. It's like an obstinance, for lack of a better word; a determination, and a steeling of the will in faith.

I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about : )

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider the life of Jesus....

Isaiah 53 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹ Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? ² For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. ³ He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. ⁴ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. ⁵ But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. ⁶ All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. ⁷ He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. ⁸ He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. ⁹ And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. ¹⁰ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. ¹¹ He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. ¹² Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes indeed. It's never easy, that I agree. I had genuine concern when I was going thru my stuff. But in the middle of the sufferings there's just something that rises up in you. It's like an obstinance, for lack of a better word; a determination, and a steeling of the will in faith.

I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about : )
That, I do, brother. All of my life has been of sufferings that I didn't choose. I learned early how to survive ....but in Christ, there is peace that passes understanding.... when everything around looks dark and nothing makes sense .....HE is the ROCK that never never moves....PRAISE GOD!!!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider the life of Jesus....

Isaiah 53 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹ Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? ² For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. ³ He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. ⁴ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. ⁵ But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. ⁶ All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. ⁷ He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. ⁸ He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. ⁹ And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. ¹⁰ Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. ¹¹ He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. ¹² Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
And a few of those apostles reminded us of the same . Just as it is written , MANY are the afflictions of the righteous .
OH our LORD is with us no matter what we are suffering . As it is said , He makes our bed in our sickness .
And not only is it given unto us to believe in HIM but to also suffer for His name sake .
Look at how sick ephpharus got . Says he nearly died . and for doing the work of CHRIST . OH yes we suffer things in this life
but through it all , OUR GLORIOUS LORD is with us and we have HOPE in HIM . SO sing it sister . SING IT and praise the LORD .
And if any be sick then we pray for them . But nevah preach or heed those who do preach
that ya best life now prosperity health wealth n stealth stuff . They got their hopes IN THIS WORLD , and on its money .
BUT our hope is Above on JESUS my dear sister . Yes indeed . Now leap up and praise the KING .

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That, I do, brother. All of my life has been of sufferings that I didn't choose. I learned early how to survive ....but in Christ, there is peace that passes understanding.... when everything around looks dark and nothing makes sense .....HE is the ROCK that never never moves....PRAISE GOD!!!

@FluffyYellowDuck.

This would be the person to talk to on this subject, come to think of it. :) Might change your perspective some. ;)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I would say that when you find yourself in the fierce storm and everywhere you look is darkness and danger ....cling to that Rock ....trust Him to keep you. You will find that no matter how long and dark the storm, when the storm has passed ...He will still be there. ❤

Reactions: Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IF anyone wants hope , THEN HOPE ONLY IN JESUS . Now that is the hope that abounds no matter what the cost .
For a lamb whose heart and mind are stayed on the LORD , that one has peace , and wont be moved when adversity comes for them .
NOPE . They will sing even in prison , they will rejoice in the LORD . BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD . Let all praise HIS NAME .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like this one very much. I love the story of Habakkuk, and I think it applies to our times right now. I don't have much time to expand it personally but I'll leave this up...
For those that don't have time to watch, basically, I'll try to sum it up as quickly as I can.

Habakkuk was disappointed in God because it seemed like he wasn't doing anything in times of trouble and then decides he'll wait for God's response. He says, "How long, Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, “Violence!” but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?" Habakkuk 1:2-7 (Again cutting this short, best for everyone to read it themselves to see the whole picture.)

God gives his response, and the answer isn't exactly what Habakkuk wanted, but Habakkuk rejoices in the Lord anyway. He ends with my favorite verse in the entire Bible, which serves as a reminder that it's our rejoicing in the Lord that gives us our strength in hope, regardless of circumstance.

Hebrew 3:17-19

"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights."

Really rushing this in between chores but hope that helps to anyone that can't give it a listen.
You accidentally put hebrew . but i knew what ya meant . Praise the glorious LORD .

Reactions: DuckieLady

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck.

This would be the person to talk to on this subject, come to think of it. :) Might change your perspective some. ;)
Thank you for that ....wow, humbling. I haven't always walked through these things the way I should. When my son was fighting for his life, I lamented ..."Father, why more suffering? I know You're our healer. I know my son is healed. Let us see Your hand!" ....and then He took my baby Home. We don't always understand why we have to walk through things ....but we can trust He is a good....GOOD Father! And He is not duplicitous ...in Him there is no darkness, neither shadow of turning.
He knows the end from the beginning and His plans for ALL of us is for good and not for evil.

One day ....He will wipe away every tear ....including His own. Jesus still weeps, you know? The tears won't be wiped away until a future time. I've seen His tears ...He let me see the tears He weeped for me ....not only for me, but WITH me ...because He is our Great High Priest who is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He suffered it all ....with each of us. He took that cup and drank it ....when I suffered traumas, He was there and ..... "inasmuch as you've done it unto the least of these...you've done it unto Me" ....He suffers with us. When I saw His tears, it was like there wasn't a dry place on His face ....I tried to wipe them away, but they didn't diminish. He doesn't just feel sorry for us when we hurt ....He is right there, suffering with us ....and He cares for us.... boy, I sure needed this!!! God bless you, @FluffyYellowDuck for this thread. It is very profitable and needed for as many as will hear.❤

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for that ....wow, humbling. I haven't always walked through these things the way I should. When my son was fighting for his life, I lamented ..."Father, why more suffering? I know You're our healer. I know my son is healed. Let us see Your hand!" ....and then He took my baby Home. We don't always understand why we have to walk through things ....but we can trust He is a good....GOOD Father! And He is not duplicitous ...He knows the end from the beginning and His plans for ALL of us is for good and not for evil. One day ....He will wipe away every tear ....including His own. Jesus still weeps, you know? The tears won't be wiped away until a future time. I've seen His tears ...He let me see the tears He weeped for me ....not only for me, but WITH me ...because He is our Great High priest who is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He suffered it all ....with each of us. He took that cup and drank it ....when I suffered traumas, He was there and ..... "inasmuch as you've done it unto the least of these...you've done it unto Me" ....He suffers with us. When I saw His tears, it was like there wasn't a dry place on His face ....I tried to wipe them away, but they didn't diminish. He doesn't just feel sorry for us when we hurt ....He is right there, suffering with us ....and He cares for us.... boy, I sure needed this!!! God bless you, @FluffyYellowDuck for this thread. It is very profitable and needed for as many as will hear.❤

Aw. Hugs to you, TLJKAJ. You're right. We don't always understand things and he IS good. I totally agree.

That's part of why I started this thread. Not for myself. I'm doing pretty well, but because of having gone through a lot of trauma, I know there are others too and it's not widely talked about. The church (we being the church) needs to be a place of healing, openness, and gracious understanding in a fallen world. A safe place to be heard and to be comforted, as it is said, "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)

Psalm 51:17

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aw. Hugs to you, TLJKAJ. You're right. We don't always understand things and he IS good. I totally agree.

That's part of why I started this thread. Not for myself. I'm doing pretty well, but because of having gone through a lot of trauma, I know there are others too and it's not widely talked about. The church (we being the church) needs to be a place of healing, openness, and gracious understanding in a fallen world. A safe place to be heard and to be comforted, as it is said, "Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.
Yes, yes! Precious insights ...a blessing to read and a breath of fresh air.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would you have said to Job in his sufferings? You do believe Job was a real person, right?
I live in the present and prepare for the future. However if you choose to ignore the present and future to ask hypothetical questions about the past, this is your choice.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Fluffy, are you getting help for the trauma that you suffered and may still be suffering? Because help is available for those who ask? Because jesus suffering in the past is no reason that you should suffer now

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I live in the present and prepare for the future. However if you choose to ignore the present and future to ask hypothetical questions about the past, this is your choice.
That answer doesn't even address my question at all. What does that have to do with Job?