.
Also, I never claimed that Isaiah 40:22 teaches that the earth is a sphere. I would say that there is no passage of Scripture that tells us the shape of the earth.
Rather then, for starters, we can both certainly agree that there is NO scripture that teaches the earth is a
sphere.
I know the Job verse is not about the earth. I just meant that the same Hebrew word that is translated "circle" in Isaiah 40:22 is translated "circuit" in Job [22:14].
Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he seeth not; and he walketh in the circuit of heaven. - Job 22:14
Is God walking around inside (or outside) the three dimensions of a sphere??? Makes me dizzy even thinking about it. Or, is God walking "normally" on a plane?
You have two choices: sphere or plane.
and
Can you explain how a circle has corners?
The "four corners" was covered previously on page #131
here.
I believe that if you are using a compass on a circle, you end up with four sections, four directions. The corners are in the center, but it's more likely at the North, South, East, and West points.
and
As neither a sphere nor a circle have corners, then unless we say that the earth is some shape such as a square or a cube which does have corners, we must take it as meaning something such as the four main compass bearings, north, south, east and west, which is what the commentators I have read say.
In reality, there are no "four main compass bearings". A compass can only point to a magnetic north! Why do you think that is??? Things move on an east-west trajectory - not a north-south trajectory - in relation to that magnetic north...
And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from
the four corners of the earth. - Isa. 11:12
corner = kānāp̄
- source
Somehow, I'm not able to justify anything remotely relating to a sphere with the above definitions...
.