For I acknowledge my transgressions; and my sin is ever before me. Psalms 51:3.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. But I have known a lot of ex-Catholics that are now either agnostics or atheists, and one is Buddhist.
Then again, some people don't openly call themselves by the label Christian because so many who do take on the label do not at all resemble the Jesus described in the scriptures.

Especially, I guess, in "Western" countries there have been "benefits" available to those calling themselves Christian as opposed to those who refuse to apply the word to themselves. In America certainly many have redefined even that word, Christian, to be something that Jesus would not recognize. It is similar to what the Jews at time of Jesus had done with what God had given them through Moses and other OT prophets.

"Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. " Mark 7:13

If we are to judge at all should it not be by the fruits manifested rather than by the label someone does or does not bear?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then again, some people don't openly call themselves by the label Christian because so many who do take on the label do not at all resemble the Jesus described in the scriptures.

Especially, I guess, in "Western" countries there have been "benefits" available to those calling themselves Christian as opposed to those who refuse to apply the word to themselves. In America certainly many have redefined even that word, Christian, to be something that Jesus would not recognize. It is similar to what the Jews at time of Jesus had done with what God had given them through Moses and other OT prophets.

"Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. " Mark 7:13

If we are to judge at all should it not be by the fruits manifested rather than by the label someone does or does not bear?

The core doctrines of Catholicism are fine, but they are weighed down by the additions of so many unscriptural "holy traditions" that are obviously false, causing disillusionment even for the core issues. Sort of like "throwing out the baby with the bath water."

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The core doctrines of Catholicism are fine, but they are weighed down by the additions of so many unscriptural "holy traditions" that are obviously false, causing disillusionment even for the core issues. Sort of like "throwing out the baby with the bath water."

I agree. I think Protestantism went too far in one way and not far enough in another. The Catholic views on spiritual things is actually superior to the Protestant. The Protestant views have created monsters like Westboro baptist....and all manner of hate.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So, if you are a Christian, your sin is NOT ever before you.
i think that is a way to express "i examine myself, my sins, i do not pretend that they do not exist" iow. i could suggest several sins that we all engage in, only being acceptable to us now they would not be considered sins, see, that's what hypocrites do right

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
for instance we all buy the cheapest stuff we can, right, from wage-slaves, who are required to build in planned obsolescence now, it's the law, but someone comes and hauls all of our trash away to...somewhere, we don't care, right. So that makes it all good. If you don't want to sin at least keep all of your trash, assuming you still produce trash, etc

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. I think Protestantism went too far in one way and not far enough in another. The Catholic views on spiritual things is actually superior to the Protestant. The Protestant views have created monsters like Westboro baptist....and all manner of hate.

I agree. The whole idea of grace is a license to sin is far worse. Jude 1:4

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree. The whole idea of grace is a license to sin is far worse. Jude 1:4

Although they will deny this and say they are trying not to sin...in their own power. Which is a denial of the very grace they claim to have.

As in..."I am under grace so it is ok for ME to try not sinning (although I sin all the time). But unbelievers that are trying to do EXACTLY like me are condemned because they are not under grace like me. Why don't they just accept Jesus as their covering for sin...like me. Then they can sin like me without penalty."

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Indeed! FRUIT!!!! We pray for discernment, and He gives it. Even in America, politics are "using" the Christian extreme right to get votes. They themselves are for the most part as far as my own observation, are professors only as their fruit calls them out. Great post Amadeus!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although they will deny this and say they are trying not to sin...in their own power. Which is a denial of the very grace they claim to have.

As in..."I am under grace so it is ok for ME to try not sinning (although I sin all the time). But unbelievers that are trying to do EXACTLY like me are condemned because they are not under grace like me. Why don't they just accept Jesus as their covering for sin...like me. Then they can sin like me without penalty."

The most common type Christian today are those who are lukewarm, that don't even reason spiritual beliefs as far as what you've presented. They call themselves Christians, like calling themselves an American. If they have a Bible, it has dust on it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The most common type Christian today are those who are lukewarm, that don't even reason spiritual beliefs as far as what you've presented. They call themselves Christians, like calling themselves an American. If they have a Bible, it has dust on it.

...or they go looking for verses to feel good about themselves. As in..."See how saved I am...I've memorized all the verses that support my own self-interest."

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...or they go looking for verses to feel good about themselves. As in..."See how saved I am...I've memorized all the verse that support my own self-interest."

Yes, I find that disturbing, especially those who do study, but don't read in context. Then when they come up with their own doctrine, they won't even allow correction when someone points out the real meaning of the passage they've twisted. Romans 7:14-23 and 1 John 1:8 are the two passages that are most commonly misinterpreted and superimposed as depicting the life of a Christian, when they actually depict life BEFORE Christ and the Spirit's change in them. The contrasting scriptures are actually right there adjacent to these passages and are willfully overlooked. And I find that if a person believes the false about one of the two passages, they do the other as well, as if they are sister passages. I wish I had a nickel for every time these passages are erroneously used. 1 Corinthians 14:38.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I find that disturbing, especially those who do study, but don't read in context. Then when they come up with their own doctrine, they won't even allow correction when someone points out the real meaning of the passage they've twisted. Romans 7:14-23 and 1 John 1:8 are the two passages that are most commonly misinterpreted and superimposed as depicting the life of a Christian, when they actually depict life BEFORE Christ and the Spirit's change in them. The contrasting scriptures are actually right there adjacent to these passages and are willfully overlooked. And I find that if a person believes the false about one of the two passages, they do the other as well, as if they are sister passages. I wish I had a nickel for every time these passages are erroneously used. 1 Corinthians 14:38.

Agreed! Very much so. I confront this...all the time. :) Most are stuck...seemingly for good. But others have just been taught wrong...although there is life in them. We soon see which is the case.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
. Then when they come up with their own doctrine, they won't even allow correction when someone points out the real meaning of the passage they've twisted

This is the doom of the protestant rebellion and its unwritten tenant of faith.. ' I and I alone, determine what is Truth'

Pax!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed! Very much so. I confront this...all the time. :) Most are stuck...seemingly for good. But others have just been taught wrong...although there is life in them. We soon see which is the case.

I'm sick of it. Now I'm like a bull seeing red, full of righteous indignation when someone uses those verses which negate what Christ actually did for us. They depict Christians as full of weakness and despair. I've even seen Spirit-filled preachers in the AOG preach that nonsense! I can relate to Christ turning over the tables of the money changers!

But, I just have to count to 10 and let the longsuffering and self control kick in from the Spirit, and teach the truth once again, only to have these pearls trampled on. :mad:

Reactions: Episkopos

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the doom of the protestant rebellion and its unwritten tenant of faith.. ' I and I alone, determine what is Truth'

Pax!

The Spirit did a good job of writing scripture to confirm scripture. When the truth of a scripture is twisted, it is glaringly obvious, and has a detrimental effect on the believer of the false doctrine produced.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why do you call Me good? No one is good but God

That was a trick question to see if they acknowledged Him or not. He didn't tell them NOT to call Him good.

He then says,

Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

Why Him, and not "God."

Besides, Jesus was keeping His identity hidden for a long time during His ministry. He (the Word) had also emptied Himself to become man, so He could die. Then asked the Father at the end of His ministry He asked to be glorified again with the Glory He had with the Father at the Beginning.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That was a trick question to see if they acknowledged Him or not. He didn't tell them NOT to call Him good.
ok then, but there are several more passages that should be considered too, might even be in my copypaste still,

"The Greek version of the name Joshua is Jesus, and Constantine's version of Jesus became the recipient of a vast personality cult: in effect, Constantine made Jesus the new and everlasting Caesar of the Roman Empire. This was obviously a blatant perversion of everything Jesus had preached, so the official next step was to discourage people from reading the Bible. That worked wonders too, and still does in many regions of the 'Christian' world..." Evolution, the Bible and the halting of the sun over Gibeon
badabing.

But regardless of your beliefs here, which i am not inclined to condemn, i would find Nehushtan and make sure he is broken up ok
God will still be the head of Christ when you are done i guess

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. But I have known a lot of ex-Catholics that are now either agnostics or atheists, and one is Buddhist.
I know...ex-Catholics can really be mad 'at God'...go figure...and become atheists...I know of some!
What I have heard is that some that went to a parochial school got really soured!
Or someone from a Catholic family where there were drunken beatings and
the kids prayed to be saved for decades...with no help!
THEY are supper mad at God ...um, the God that they don't believe in, that is!
Ha! I have caught them in this mixed up thinking sometimes.;)

Reactions: Nancy

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know...ex-Catholics can really be mad 'at God'...go figure...and become atheists...I know of some!
What I have heard is that some that went to a parochial school got really soured!
Or someone from a Catholic family where there were drunken beatings and
the kids prayed to be saved for decades...with no help!
THEY are supper mad at God ...um, the God that they don't believe in, that is!
Ha! I have caught them in this mixed up thinking sometimes.;)

How have you evolved since then. What to you believe? Any particular denomination you prefer?