For those who don't believe in prophets today....explain this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nearly all those type of things are staged. Someone knew you went to the dentist and set that all up. It's the copycat Peter Popoff syndrome.
"A wicked and adulterous generation shall seek for a sign and shall receive none except the sign of Jonah the prophet."

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's precisely why it could be a hoax. There are no prophets today and anybody who claims to be one is a false prophet.
Not true. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8.

And your statement is besides the point. There are those who are not wicked and adulterous who have indeed received signs other than that of the prophet Jonah; which, btw, is identified by Jesus Christ as His resurrection.

Reactions: amadeus and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no prophets today and anybody who claims to be one is a false prophet.
That is not biblical. The gift of prophecy was among the gifts of the Spirit given to the church for these last days.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is not biblical. The gift of prophecy was among the gifts of the Spirit given to the church for these last days.
Except that it would come to an end according to Scripture. How do people forget this:Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; [CEASE] whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Cor 13:8)

The apostle John -- the last genuine prophet -- made it perfectly clear in Revelation that there would not be any more genuine prophecies. And the Lord Jesus Christ made it perfectly clear that false prophets would abound before His second coming: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.(Mt 24:11)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The abundance of false prophets in the last days does not preclude that none would be true...very likely the two witnesses and every one of the 144,000 will be like the prophets in many ways.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except that it would come to an end according to Scripture. How do people forget this:Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; [CEASE] whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (1 Cor 13:8)

The apostle John -- the last genuine prophet -- made it perfectly clear in Revelation that there would not be any more genuine prophecies. And the Lord Jesus Christ made it perfectly clear that false prophets would abound before His second coming: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.(Mt 24:11)

1 Cor 13:8
Does not say prophecy will actually end. It says the gifts, all of them, will end before love ends.

The KJV uses charity, but the actual word is love.

Prophecy is not limited to foretelling the future. It includes knowledge that does not add to the Bible, but simply aids the holder of the gift in their efforts for God.

So indeed after the book of Revelation there will be no new Bible level Revelation prophecy. But the other kinds of prophecy continue to this day.

Even in the Old Testament there were many prophets whose words and works were not recorded in the Bible. Even to female ones.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You answered your own question: It is not that the gift of prophecy has been taken away, but there are also false prophets. Which, as it says, will deceive "many", not all.

Thus, since you have combined what should not be combined (the one book of Revelation with all others), you risk violating John's warning and curse not to take away, and this you do by your own judgement, not God's.

Reactions: mjrhealth

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a difference between prophets and the gift of prophecy.

Same voice is it not? As in “My sheep hear my voice.” Ephesians 3:3-5
[3] How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, [4] Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) [5] Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Acts 13:27
[27] For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him .

1 Corinthians 14:32-33
[32] And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. [33] For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that he has shown in post #515 that the gift of prophecy and the office of prophet are very much inclusive.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How many people are members of this forum and how many believe that they have a message from God to deliver to others, whether on this forum or in face to face engagements with other people.

I wonder how many there are. Can anyone guess?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many people are members of this forum and how many believe that they have a message from God to deliver to others, whether on this forum or in face to face engagements with other people.

I wonder how many there are. Can anyone guess?

Some do believe they are messengers from God. Others, such as myself, believe we have knowledge and experience of value to share with the others.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some do believe they are messengers from God. Others, such as myself, believe we have knowledge and experience of value to share with the others.

You have confirmed what I posted above, there are many on this forum who are false prophets.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"A wicked and adulterous generation shall seek for a sign and shall receive none except the sign of Jonah the prophet."
I was not seeking a sign of any kind.....I was being obedient to the voice of the Holy Spirit. I go where He says to go, I do what He says to do.

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a difference between prophets and the gift of prophecy.
I only said the gift of prophecy, but I also meant prophets...and so do the scriptures say BOTH "the gift of prophecy" and also "some prophets."

So, no, you are wrong. A prophet is simply one who has the gift of prophecy.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I'm saying is that today, a person who prophesy's isn't a prophet!
That's silly. And one who sews is not a tailor, and one who bakes is not a baker, etc..

Apparently you have reinvented the word by your own private interpretation.

Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does not say prophecy will actually end.
How can you say that when the Scripture plainly says "they shall fail". The Greek word there is καταργηθήσονται (katargēthēsontai).

Strong's Concordance
katargeó: to render inoperative, abolish
Original Word: καταργέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: katargeó
Phonetic Spelling: (kat-arg-eh'-o)
Definition: to render inoperative, abolish
Usage: (a) I make idle (inactive), make of no effect, annul, abolish, bring to naught, (b) I discharge, sever, separate from.

Prophecy is not limited to foretelling the future.
I did not suggest any such thing. Prophecy = DIVINE REVELATION. Those revelations have ceased, and all that we need in terms of revelations is right there in the Bible.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thus, since you have combined what should not be combined (the one book of Revelation with all others), you risk violating John's warning and curse not to take away, and this you do by your own judgement, not God's.
How very profound. I love your gobbledygook, but there is no denying that genuine Bible prophecies came to an end with the book of Revelation, which is an integral part of the NT and should indeed by combined with all Bible prophecy.

So if you would like people to think that Prophet Scott is speaking by divine inspiration, forget it. Please strive for clarity at least.