For those who don't believe in prophets today....explain this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Paul says those who speak in tongues speak not to men, but to God. No man hears them.
Congratulations! You have found a Bible contradiction! Unless there are two types of tongues. Or, unless (I was confused for a moment because you misquoted it; it actually says no one understands him in 1 Corinthians 14:2) no one understands him because no one is present in that church setting who understands the language they are speaking in; which is not to say that someone who might understand him might not be present somewhere else, since the context is the protocol for speaking in tongues in a church setting.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what the scripture says. It says that every man heard them in his own tongue. They were surprised because they knew they were Galileans and couldn't have been speaking in their tongues in the natural. They weren't speaking in Galilean and everyone heard them in their own language, they were speaking in tongues!
And we have no idea, at all, what sounds they made.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's see quotes. Not ideas.
You want to see quotes? Go back and read them - they are there already...just as I said already.

So, no, I am not going to repeat myself. This is on you. I have already done my part.

No wonder you are in the mess you are in - you are not paying attention.

D

Dave L

You want to see quotes? Go back and read them - they are there already...just as I said already.

So, no, I am not going to repeat myself. This is on you. I have already done my part.

No wonder you are in the mess you are in - you are not paying attention.
Direct quotes without a song and dance proves the point.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spend more time reading the passages.

re (primarily) #463.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devout Jews received the gift of interpretation. Only one kind of Tongues gift.
Even with that (even if that is so), there is an interpretation presented of the Corinthians passage that validates my interpretation of the passage in Acts.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture speaks for itself.
Yes it does. If anyone is hungry enough to look up the passages referenced, I have won the debate with them, if not with the other kind who look at things only at the surface level.

D

Dave L

Even with that (even if that is so), there is an interpretation presented of the Corinthians passage that validates my interpretation of the passage in Acts.
There is only one gift of tongues with several different applications.

D

Dave L

Yes it does. If anyone is hungry enough to look up the passages referenced, I have won the debate with them, if not with the other kind who look at things only at the surface level.
If you want to be macho, please be so. But the clear passages of scripture speak for themselves. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

- Albert Einstein

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Direct quotes without a song and dance proves the point.
Dave, speaking plainly with you was promise by Christ. Are we done here then?

'Cause I have done all of that and more - more than you deserve.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
I can if I want to; but as I said, I have a specific style in which I minister: that of concealing knowledge while at the same time dispersing it.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were born again just like Abraham or King David. They were coming into the New Covenant as believers.
They were convicted by the Holy Spirit (Acts of the Apostles 2:37); which indicates that they were not believers (John 16:8-9).

Last edited: