For those who don't believe in prophets today....explain this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

To @Dave L and @Enoch111,

I would ask each one of you whether you believe that the holy scriptures apply to us today?

Are we to be obedient to what is written in the Bible?

For your consideration I would ask you if you believe that 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 applies to us today?

How about 1 Corinthians 12 and 1 Corinthians 14? Do these scriptures apply to the church today?

If they don't, then where do you draw the line? How do you determine what scriptures apply to us and what scriptures don't?

A man could simply reject any scripture that he doesn't like according to this theology (cessationism and its logical outcome in reasoning).

Paul was speaking to his present audience. You = 2nd person.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was speaking to his present audience. You = 2nd person.
So then, all of scripture doesn't apply to us today?

How do we determine which scripture applies and which scripture doesn't apply (today)?

I can take any scripture and say that Paul was talking only to his present audience; and therefore it doesn't apply to me.

I can pick and choose which scriptures apply to me and which ones don't...i.e. smorgasborg religion.

D

Dave L

So then, all of scripture doesn't apply to us today?

How do we determine which scripture applies and which scripture doesn't apply (today)?

I can take any scripture and say that Paul was talking only to his present audience; and therefore it doesn't apply to me.

I can pick and choose which scriptures apply to me and which ones don't...i.e. smorgasborg religion.
The gifts expired with the last of the apostles. Paul was speaking to his audience in the 2nd person about seeking the gifts. Not to us.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominational worship is unseen by the captives there of. Walking birds telling us that fly that there is no more flight.

Denominational bondage is ANTI-CHRIST. Over and over their indoctrination denies God's fidelity and unchanging nature.

Those of you that may be confused let no man tell you God's power has passed away or was for a season only. Their hearts are wrong.

D

Dave L

Apparently you decided this. Dave someone really did a number on you that you would oppose God.
Scripture replaced tongues and prophecy when it became complete. They were fragments of what would become scripture. Which at the time Paul said "we know in part". But when the perfect (Greek = complete) comes, that which is in part shall cease. If you think scripture is perfect, as I do, there is no problem using scripture alone.

D

Dave L

Denominational worship is unseen by the captives there of. Walking birds telling us that fly that there is no more flight.

Denominational bondage is ANTI-CHRIST. Over and over their indoctrination denies God's fidelity and unchanging nature.

Those of you that may be confused let no man tell you God's power has passed away or was for a season only. Their hearts are wrong.
I haven't found this to be true. I don't belong to any church but I view them objectively and can see strengths and weaknesses in all.

Reactions: Nancy

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one asked my name nor even knew I was coming. I was a complete stranger to everyone there and they were a complete stranger to me. Did you read my OP? I didn't even know where this church was and was shocked when I did find it. You people are trying to deny this as a supernatural event and even I was in question about it when it happened but there is no logical explanation as to how this man of God could know all the specific details about me….absolutely NO EXPLANATION LOGICALLY....the only explanation is that it was God speaking through him.
I was dealing with statements about Katherine
Kulman and others historically.

I fully believe in gifts, have experienced healing myself and have some gifts, about which I won't share here because I can't prove anything.

What I do know is what some people claim is genuine, sometimes self-deception and sometimes demonic.

All I'm saying is until you've tangled with demonic issues that appear from God or are currently demonic, be careful. Things may not be what they seem. Or they may be.

Reactions: Dave L

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't mention denominations, only individual churches (Greek = assemblies).
Frank Lee said:

I haven't found this to be true. I don't belong to any church but I view them objectively and can see strengths and weaknesses in all.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I was dealing with statements about Katherine
Kulman and others historically.

I fully believe in gifts, have experienced healing myself and have some gifts, about which I won't share here because I can't prove anything.

What I do know is what some people claim is genuine, sometimes self-deception and sometimes demonic.

All I'm saying is until you've tangled with demonic issues that appear from God or are currently demonic, be careful. Things may not be what they seem. Or they may be.

Can't we tell what is demonic by their limits and modus operandi? In one of Jesus' rebuke of the pharisees he revealed a house divided against itself will fall. This is true concerning God's house and Satan's. In my understanding of the spiritual, this is even more so in the heavens than on earth.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can't we tell what is demonic by their limits and modus operandi? In one of Jesus' rebuke of the pharisees he revealed a house divided against itself will fall. This is true concerning God's house and Satan's. In my understanding of the spiritual, this is even more so in the heavens than on earth.

Most the time, yes, but not all the time.

Especially true with these faith healers, etc., Etc. on TV, exploiting people for money.

But many people want it to be true so badly they blind themselves. Or the truth presented to them they find so offensive as to ignore it.

We see those realities in the Bible.

It is not an easy subject. That is why I refuse to go into my personal history from such experience.

I am urging caution and learning over wishful thinking and blind doctrinal acceptance.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture replaced tongues and prophecy when it became complete.
And yet scripture tells us not to despise prophecies; and implies that to do so is to be quenching the Spirit.

If you would open your eyes and see more clearly, you would know that all of scripture applies to us today.

Because if it doesn't, then we can pick and choose what scriptures we count as being for us today; and it amounts to smorgasborg religion; as I have said before.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Especially true with these faith healers, etc., Etc. on TV, exploiting people for money.
Even Paul the apostle confessed that he "robbed other churches" (2 Corinthians 11:8).

Of course, when it is done to excess and for the sake of fleecing the flock so that the minister can become rich (and that is his motivation), it amounts to what is spoken of in 2 Peter 2:1-3.

But if their motivation and purpose is to win souls for Jesus Christ and they are using their resources that they receive for that purpose, then I do not see anything wrong with them. Of course we are not the judge of them; only Jesus is: except for 1 Corinthians 6:2-3.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even Paul the apostle confessed that he "robbed other churches" (2 Corinthians 11:8).

Of course, when it is done to excess and for the sake of fleecing the flock so that the minister can become rich (and that is his motivation), it amounts to what is spoken of in 2 Peter 2:1-3.

But if their motivation and purpose is to win souls for Jesus Christ and they are using their resources that they receive for that purpose, then I do not see anything wrong with them. Of course we are not the judge of them; only Jesus is: except for 1 Corinthians 6:2-3.
2 Corinthians 11:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

The difference is donations from one church to serve another versus the charlatans conning people for their money to serve themselves.

Peter didn't live like a millionaire nor was he one.

These people do.

There are three or four in the area where I live. They all live in mansion behind iron gates and drive expensive luxury, where expensive clothes and jewelry.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 11:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

The difference is donations from one church to serve another versus the charlatans conning people for their money to serve themselves.

Peter didn't live like a millionaire nor was he one.

These people do.

There are three or four in the area where I live. They all live in mansion behind iron gates and drive expensive luxury, where expensive clothes and jewelry.
Yes; I hope that you understand that I have qualified my statements.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, was it wrong for Mary of Bethany to worship Jesus extravagantly by rendering her wealth to Him in pouring the oil/perfume on his head and/or feet?

Was Jesus wrong to have his daily needs met by certain women who followed Him?

Is it necessarily a sin for a minister to not live in abject poverty; as some people think it should always be?