For those who don't believe in prophets today....explain this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By claiming that John gave you the idea that there are no prophets since John, you are calling John, God, Joel, Peter, and Paul lairs.
That is a rather serious accusation, and I am not calling anyone in Scripture a liar. I simply showed you that the apostle John was the last genuine prophet, and you will not be able to prove otherwise. But I am calling today s so-called prophets liars, since the book of Revelation CLOSED OUT GENUINE PROPHECIES.

The Apostolic Fathers -- Clement of Rome, Polycarp, Ignatius, Papias, etc -- who followed on the heels of the apostles, could have claimed to be prophets (or identified prophets during their time). But they never did. That should be sufficient proof.

*In examining every work of the Early Church Fathers, all 37 volumes, there is not one reference to the continuing of the true prophetic office. The early church after the death of the apostle John ceased to acknowledge the office of apostle and prophet being in existence.

However, in 26 of the 37 volumes there is quite a bit written about the work of false prophets among the church. These references are partial, and I have not included all of them due to space considerations. There are several reference sites you can surf to read these entire accounts. I have cited just a few of these references below...*

*What Early Christians believed about PROPHETS OUTSIDE THE APOSTOLIC AGE

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a rather serious accusation, and I am not calling anyone in Scripture a liar. I simply showed you that the apostle John was the last genuine prophet, and you will not be able to prove otherwise. But I am calling today s so-called prophets liars, since the book of Revelation CLOSED OUT GENUINE PROPHECIES.

The Apostolic Fathers -- Clement of Rome, Polycarp, Ignatius, Papias, etc -- who followed on the heels of the apostles, could have claimed to be prophets (or identified prophets during their time). But they never did. That should be sufficient proof.

*In examining every work of the Early Church Fathers, all 37 volumes, there is not one reference to the continuing of the true prophetic office. The early church after the death of the apostle John ceased to acknowledge the office of apostle and prophet being in existence.

However, in 26 of the 37 volumes there is quite a bit written about the work of false prophets among the church. These references are partial, and I have not included all of them due to space considerations. There are several reference sites you can surf to read these entire accounts. I have cited just a few of these references below...*

Having experienced this personally I cannot share your beliefs. If I deny my experience as coming from God then I have to declare it came from Satan and I know it was not from Satan. The fact that I was sent to hear from this person by the Holy Spirit was good enough for me. I wasn't raised in a church that promoted prophets....never had even seen one in person...I was simply being obedient not knowing what to expect. I had simple child-like faith. But more importantly I was obedient to do whatever I was told to do by the Holy Spirit. I never asked for a prophetic word....but I am thankful that He gave me that Word because it gave me hope. And this person didn't ask for money, nor did he attempt to gain any recognition for anything. He was simply a vessel that God used to speak through. In time I learned to hear from Him myself and I no longer need a prophet to speak to me. I hear His voice and am able to walk and talk with Him on my own now.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I named those who have testified that you are wrong, for they all foretold the truth of these times, including prophets, the gift of prophecy, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon all flesh which includes prophecy.

It's all in the same book you have picked and chosen from to come up with your own doctrine against the whole truth of God. Anyone who has actually read it knows better.

Joel 2:28
“And it shall come to pass afterward That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.

John 16:13
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth;

Acts 2:16-17
But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams. Your old men shall dream dreams.

Romans 12:6
Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith;

1 Corinthians 12:4-11
There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge. The same Spirit gives great faith to another, and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing. He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.

Revelation 1:3

Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy,

Revelation 22:18-19
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

...Perhaps you should read all the books yourself, instead of listening to the teachings of men. His promises are so much more!

But thanks for showing just how off the church fathers were. Can you believe it!?

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact I could tell every child of God on this forum that they are in for some trials, tribulations, and testings, without the shadow of doubt.

However, it might take a prophetic gifting (or gift of discernment) to determine who on these forums is a child of God and who isn't!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you are telling the truth, but I don't think these preachers were above board. The bible says mediums exist but it does not say prophets continued beyond the apostolic era.

Careful, you are walking on shaky ground!

Still interesting such as self proclaimed healing powerhouse cannot heal yourself.

I believe that Jesus Himself somewhere in the New Testament gospels said at one point, Surely you will say to me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself!

So Kathryn Kullhman is in good company.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To @Dave L and @Enoch111,

I would ask each one of you whether you believe that the holy scriptures apply to us today?

Are we to be obedient to what is written in the Bible?

For your consideration I would ask you if you believe that 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 applies to us today?

How about 1 Corinthians 12 and 1 Corinthians 14? Do these scriptures apply to the church today?

If they don't, then where do you draw the line? How do you determine what scriptures apply to us and what scriptures don't?

A man could simply reject any scripture that he doesn't like according to this theology (cessationism and its logical outcome in reasoning).

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
However, it might take a prophetic gifting (or gift of discernment) to determine who on these forums is a child of God and who isn't!
But that is not our business. Only God determines who is and who is not. If you will note in the epistles by the apostles, they wrote to all the saints but did not try to determine who were really saved.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that is not our business. Only God determines who is and who is not. If you will note in the epistles by the apostles, they wrote to all the saints but did not try to determine who were really saved.
The point was, that the recipient of the prophecy in question, for all that prophet knew she was not a child of God...and yet he prophesied to her something that was in conjunction with her being a child of God...and that very knowledge that she was a child of God, may have very well been a supernatural occurence!

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree. The gift of discernment is not about detecting salvation.

Sometimes people say things and act in a way no Christian would or could.

Reactions: Nancy

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But that does not prove God gave a revelation.

It is a common tactic to collect random information and then present it as if God or some mystical source. I guarantee you they collected the names of the people in the audience first.

I did serious study on such people in the past. Never found one that was legit, but they did get rich.

Reactions: Nancy and Dave L

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that does not prove God gave a revelation.

It is a common tactic to collect random information and then present it as if God or some mystical source. I guarantee you they collected the names of the people in the audience first.

I did serious study on such people in the past. Never found one that was legit, but they did get rich.
No one asked my name nor even knew I was coming. I was a complete stranger to everyone there and they were a complete stranger to me. Did you read my OP? I didn't even know where this church was and was shocked when I did find it. You people are trying to deny this as a supernatural event and even I was in question about it when it happened but there is no logical explanation as to how this man of God could know all the specific details about me….absolutely NO EXPLANATION LOGICALLY....the only explanation is that it was God speaking through him.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one asked my name nor even knew I was coming. I was a complete stranger to everyone there and they were a complete stranger to me. Did you read my OP? I didn't even know where this church was and was shocked when I did find it. You people are trying to deny this as a supernatural event and even I was in question about it when it happened but there is no logical explanation as to how this man of God could know all the specific details about me….absolutely NO EXPLANATION LOGICALLY....the only explanation is that it was God speaking through him.
I do believe there are many false prophets taking the trusting public's hard earned money but, I see nothing outside, or beyond the bible in what these men said to you ♥

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you cannot find your experiences in God's word, who knows where they came from?

I would ask each one of you whether you believe that the holy scriptures apply to us today?

Are we to be obedient to what is written in the Bible?

For your consideration I would ask you if you believe that 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 applies to us today?

How about 1 Corinthians 12 and 1 Corinthians 14? Do these scriptures apply to the church today?

If they don't, then where do you draw the line? How do you determine what scriptures apply to us and what scriptures don't?

A man could simply reject any scripture that he doesn't like according to this theology (cessationism and its logical outcome in reasoning).

Reactions: Dave L