Forever Conscious Torment Near Death Experiences are Impossible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was talking to my Christian Universalist friend Larry, and they were showing me some Near Death Experiences (NDEs) that promote Christian Universalism. Everyone will become believers in Jesus Christ and all people will be permanently saved.

1 John 2:2 Jesus "is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world."

This lead me to a realization. First, there’s the false doctrine of “Eternal Conscious Torment” or more precisely named “Forever Conscious Torment”. Because “eternal” means aionios in Greek and olam in Hebrew which truly means “pertaining to an age”. Literally, from an accurate translation of Biblical scripture. eternal never means forever. Hell is never forever. The term “hell” doesn’t even show up in the Bible. There’s Sheol, which is realm of the dead, from Hebrew, where people go when they die. And all of Sheol will be emptied out.

EZEKIEL 18:23 Have I any desire, says the Lord God, for the death of a wicked man? Will I not rather that he should mend his ways and live?

So, using the precise name “Forever Conscious Torment”, we can see that, in order for that to be true, the torment would need to be first “conscious” and second “forever”.

LAMENTATIONS 3:31-33 For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though he may punish cruelly, yet he will have compassion in the fullness of his love; he does not willingly afflict or punish any mortal man.

However, how conscious are people when they have an Near Death Experience? Some of them have a dream before they die, and then suddenly wake up and regain some sort of consciousness. So how much “consciousness” would be required for it to be “Conscious Torment”. This shows that Near Death Experience’s cannot show complete conscious torment, because a person would need to be fully conscious, and how can they be if sometimes it’s a dream, or a vision while asleep?

Acts 3:21 In Jesus Christ is "the restoration of ALL THINGS, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began."

Alright, so instead of Forever Conscious Torment Near Death Experiences, now it’s just Forever Torment Near Death Experiences. Because you can be dreaming. But wait a minute! When someone falls asleep, they can wake up. They don’t dream “forever”, since they’re alarm clock’s going to come off and wake them up, or maybe they’ll wake up on their own, that can be a bit tricky without an alarm lol.

Rev. 15:4 "ALL nations shall come and worship You, for your judgments have been made manifested."

But let’s say someone dreams for a long time. Maybe they’re on their death bed, and they are not conscious, just laying there, but they’re not awake. Maybe for a month? Let’s say. Then, the fundamental problem is… a month is not forever! A year is not forever! A day is not forever! A second is not forever! A minute is not forever! Forever would need to be… well… forever! Thus, it’s impossible for someone to have a Near Death Experience, a dream close to death, that lasts forever, because eventually you have people telling the stories who indeed woke up.

Psalm 86:9 "ALL nations whom God has made will come and worship before Him"

So… if someone woke up from a Near Death Experience and told others that it was Forever Torment… how do they know? They weren’t there “forever” because they woke up! That’s how they’re able to tell others their story after all. Thus, it’s literally impossible for Forever Conscious Torment Near Death Experiences to even exist! Mathematically impossible. Statistically impossible. It logically doesn’t make any sense!

Heb. 8:11 "ALL shall know the Lord, from the least of them to the greatest of them."

And of course, not all Near Death Experience’s show torment, a lot of them show Jesus’s love for all of mankind. Christ saving everyone, so it’s more so proof for Christian Universalism.

Isaiah 40:5 "The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and ALL FLESH shall see it together; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

Personally, when it comes to Near Death Experiences, I see them as oftentimes just dreams people have when they’re close to dying. Sometimes, dreams can reveal something that’s true. Othertimes, people dreaming of ECT might have just watched a scary movie close to bed time, or were already believers in the false doctrine of ECT and were biased to have a dream because of it. NDE’s can be subjective, emotional, variable.

Psalm 145:16 God will "open His hand and satisfy the desire of EVERY living thing."

So in general, for any NDE, it’s best to look at the Bible first as the primary authority, and then, with scripture verses, go back to the NDE and see if it lines up with God’s word. If it contradicts God’s word, then it’s not true. If a specific portion of a dream or NDE aligns itself with God’s word, then you’ll be more safe when trying to interpret it. Because the Bible never has any contradictions. All of the New Testament agrees with perfection to all the Old Testament. There’s no errors there. God’s word is always true!

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Other NDE’s might show the false doctrine of reincarnation, where you can lose your salvation, as opposed to the truth of resurrection, where once you are saved, you are always saved. Or a reincarnation that requires you to suffer multiple lives for some reason in order to be saved of your own works, which is false. Works salvation is false. Only faith alone in Jesus Christ saves us. When we are saved, the Holy Spirit comes inside of us, making our salvation permanent. Someone dies, they’re stuck in Sheol, the realm of the dead, and only belief in Christ Jesus can wash them from their wages of sin, which is death. That’s resurrection, the truth.

John 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Harold, many Christians become very upset when they learn that God loves everybody and won't allow anyone to remain lost forever and tortured for eternity.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 40:5 "The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and ALL FLESH shall see it together; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken."
I believe this verse is talking about the return of Christ when it says "all flesh shall see". It's talking about those still living in the flesh. While I agree that ALL will be saved, eventually, this verse isn't talking about that.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Other NDE’s might show the false doctrine of reincarnation, where you can lose your salvation, as opposed to the truth of resurrection, where once you are saved, you are always saved.
This caught my eye. A comparison of the following verses disproves OSAS:

Matthew 24:12-13 KJV
1 John 5:3 KJV
Romans 8:7 KJV

These "many" of Matthew 24:12 who allow widespread iniquity to turn their agape love cold and dead which leaves them unable to endure to the end and be saved...ARE SAINTS...because "agape" can only be demonstrated by those who happily keeping God's commandments, while the wicked can't keep them even if they wanted to. What say you?

Tarantass

Jun 22, 2023
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there, forum folks! So, I stumbled upon this post about near-death experiences and whether forever conscious torment is possible. Well, it's a pretty deep topic, but here's my take on it. I'm no expert, but from what I've read and heard, near-death experiences can vary greatly from person to person. Some people describe peaceful moments, while others mention intense emotions. It's a subjective thing, you know? As for forever conscious torment, well, I like to think that our Memorial is shaped by the positive moments and connections we make in life rather than dwelling on eternal suffering.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We
Hey there, forum folks! So, I stumbled upon this post about near-death experiences and whether forever conscious torment is possible. Well, it's a pretty deep topic, but here's my take on it. I'm no expert, but from what I've read and heard, near-death experiences can vary greatly from person to person. Some people describe peaceful moments, while others mention intense emotions. It's a subjective thing, you know? As for forever conscious torment, well, I like to think that our Memorial is shaped by the positive moments and connections we make in life rather than dwelling on eternal suffering.
Welcome to Christianity Boards.
I pray you are greatly blessed and a blessing !

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Forever Conscious Torment Near Death Experiences are Impossible​

I'd have to agree with this statement.

Anyone who "returns" being resuscitated or the like was not dead, did not go through the judgment, was not cast into the lake of fire, did not remain forever there.

So yes, I agree. No one in this world - short of a special act from God, but the Bible tells us when He will be doing this - can possibly have experienced the fires of the second death.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador