Founding Fathers = Christians or...?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
With all the Fake News being published today, those quotes could well be bogus. But not your fault, since you were quoting a third party's materials.

Who in this world can believe anyone anymore.

Well..I guess 50 yrs ago we thought that we could believe what was said , written, or quoted...but now, who really knows what has ever been true of mans words or writings which are attributed to him...

It seems even re the OP anyone can find a 'for or against' about these men. According to what can be Googled ...they all had Schizophrenia
and none of them knew what they believed ...IF we are to believe what can be googled about them :D

Which sends us right back to the Good Book which tells us to not put confidence in any man.

THAT Book can be relied upon. Yay!! Praise God!!!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I agree with this on the surface... I'd have to read the whole context, though.

This one needs some background info to understand it... The "know nothing's" were a political party that was against immigration... They ceased to exist in 1860.

All these quotes are interesting, but again, I'd have to look at the context.
Yes, the context is needed for a better picture of the men supposedly quoted. I knew of some things such as who the "know nothings were from some of my own reading. A few years ago I decided to learn more about all of the US presidents. Regarding some, there is a large library of information available at the local library. Abraham Lincoln was a favorite for a great many students of history. Yet for others it was difficult to find a book about just the one president. You could only find articles about them in books which discussed several or even all of the presidents. There was one interesting one that discussed the Adams family [not from TV] and the connections with and impact on the United States. I guess we could find a lot on the Internet but not being accustomed to reading books on the computer [older school] I did not even look there.

A good study on any one of the presidents should not usually come from the reading of only one biographical book because writers do at times include their own biases in their writings. Would you believe that?

Thank you for your interest and comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHII and Helen

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In more recent years, I have learned finally to be more careful to annotate a saved document with at least the date I acquired it was much earlier than the date I saved it. Also it may be important I include the source of the information. Unfortunately there are many hundreds of saved documents with no date but the one showing when I saved it. Too often that was years after I actually obtained it.

I do sincerely hope that when I am gone, one of my children or grandchildren will make good use of what I have saved...
One of my favorite books is a book of quotes (not necessarily Christian quotes, but just general quotes). I love reading them and when I find something interesting exploring the occasion it was spoken or written.

I wish I could think of something smart to say....then I could live on in one of your quotes.

Unfortunately, all of the good quotes have been taken (and you can quote me on that :D ).

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good to see you here, Stranger. I've given up on visiting that other forum for a while. Perhaps in the future if time and interest gets hold of me.

Yes, the U.S. was established as a Bible believing Christian nation.
That is what I was taught in the public school system, but I graduated from high school in 1961 so my education differs in that respect probably from many others on this forum. In college I only took one required history course. I enjoyed it so much I considered changing my major, but did not.

I understand you, from what I have read on this forum, on the other hand, have done quite a lot of digging and researching on your own. While my conclusions are certainly different than yours, many of your points are well taken, by me anyway.

You must first go back to the beginning, not 1776. The founding of the New World coincided with the Reformation movements in Europe. In this you can see that God was providing a place for Protestants to go, where they could exist, and not be under the heavy hand of Romanism. The Roman Church was involved in the founding of the New World, but America would later become Protestant to the core.
The Catholics of course had an interest and strong connections early on in North America, but their staunchest supporters, the Spanish and Portuguese had their investments much farther south for different reasons. I have no doubt that God has His hand in the whole set up for His own purposes. Protestantism was necessary to His plan, I believe, even as His confusion of those building the tower of Babel was necessary to His plan. But... that is just my opinion. I would be slow to try to support it with scripture.

Seeing today where the United States is, I get some different ideas myself on just where we, as a nation, fit into His plan. Does make one wonder.

You look at Plymouth Rock and Jamestown to see how America started. It was Christian through and through. The fabric that made up the nation that would be America was Christian and had a high reverence for the Bible, the Word of God.
I don't disagree with you... at least not with this part. For many of the people who actually fled Europe to retain or obtain their ability to reach out to God without interference from political or religious powers what you said would have been the case. But... it was not only Catholics in Europe who suppressed for different reasons those who wanted to be left alone to serve God as they would. A formal connection to an established church group, Catholic or Protestant, for some [many?], was almost perhaps without doubt to obtain financial or polical gains.

Unfortunately the true seekers are too often lumped together with everyone else who was not part of the formal Catholicism.

And yes, these were white Europeans. Oh my! Perish the thought Yet it was Europe that was Christianized by God. From King to peasant. That too was God's decision. (Acts 16:6-10) (Gen. 9:27)
I am familiar with some of your ideas on this as I have read quite a few of your posts although I did not usually actively participate in those threads. As I have already at least intimated, I do believe God was involved in the exodus from Europe and the development of the United States as a nation. Being primarily white anglo saxon protestant [W.A.S.P.] through my father, I also benefited somewhat, [although for years unbeknownst to me] as a "white" man. God uses what is available to Him to further His plan.
As to Abraham Lincoln's quotes, he had little to do with the origin of America. He had much to do with destroying it. He indeed has replaced Washington as the father of America.

You have always been it seems to me quite strongly against most anything that Lincoln did. He was certainly no sinless saint, but neither was George Washington nor any of those listed among the ones known as the founding fathers of this country. None of us is qualified to judge them ultimately.

Lincoln fought for what he believed as probably did many of the men in the southern Confederacy in that bloody war from 1861-1865. Who among them were truly Christ-like in the totality of their walk with God... if they had such a walk? You are biased toward the general causes of the South and I can understand that. However, I am not so sure that their solution of dividing the country into two nations would have been the best result for anyone. Perhaps I am biased somewhat in Lincoln's favor on some things and to be honest I cannot say that the mess I see around me with our strong central government instead of a group of strong state governments was the best possible result. Ideally a strong states solution may have been better, but without the central strength could they or would they have been able to endure against the power of other greedy imperialistic nations?

It is a moot point, because we have what we have in spite of what may have been. God is working with the now for us as we are in the now. History makes a difference because people are in a large measure probably formed by that history. Our best position as I see it is to remain always on God's side. Where then is that...hmmm?

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who in this world can believe anyone anymore.

Well..I guess 50 yrs ago we thought that we could believe what was said , written, or quoted...but now, who really knows what has ever been true of mans words or writings which are attributed to him...

It seems even re the OP anyone can find a 'for or against' about these men. According to what can be Googled ...they all had Schizophrenia
and none of them knew what they believed ...IF we are to believe what can be googled about them :D

Which sends us right back to the Good Book which tells us to not put confidence in any man.

THAT Book can be relied upon. Yay!! Praise God!!!
Give God the glory, Helen!

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorite books is a book of quotes (not necessarily Christian quotes, but just general quotes). I love reading them and when I find something interesting exploring the occasion it was spoken or written.

I wish I could think of something smart to say....then I could live on in one of your quotes.

Unfortunately, all of the good quotes have been taken (and you can quote me on that :D ).
It perhaps related to your reasoning that I strongly emphasize inclusion of the Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastics,
and Song of Solomon in my reading of Bible. Oh, I read all of the Bible more than once each year, but I read those books of the Bible more often than any others except the 4 gospels. I have a little notebook where I write out longhand verses I encounter anywhere in the Bible that really have caught my attention. Without a doubt, most of them are from those books. Of course over the years, LOL, I have written my way through a lot of those little notebooks.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good to see you here, Stranger. I've given up on visiting that other forum for a while. Perhaps in the future if time and interest gets hold of me.

That is what I was taught in the public school system, but I graduated from high school in 1961 so my education differs in that respect probably from many others on this forum. In college I only took one required history course. I enjoyed it so much I considered changing my major, but did not.

I understand you, from what I have read on this forum, on the other hand, have done quite a lot of some digging and researching of your own. While my conclusions are some thing are certainly different than yours, many of your points are well taken, by me anyway.

The Catholics of course had an interest and strong connections early on in North America, but their staunchest supporters, the Spanish and Portuguese had their investments much farther south for different reasons. I have no doubt that God has His hand in the whole set up for His own purposes. Protestantism was necessary to His plan, I believe, even as His confusion of those building the tower of Babel was necessary to His plan. But... that is just my opinion. I would be slow to try to support it with scripture.

Seeing today where the United States is, I get some different ideas myself on just where we, as a nation, fit into His plan. Does make one wonder.

I don't disagree with you... at least not with this part. For many of the people who actually fled Europe to retain or obtain their ability to reach out to God without interference from political or religious powers what you said would have been the case. But... it was not only Catholics in Europe who suppressed for different reasons those who wanted to be left alone to serve God as they would. A formal connection to an established church group, Catholic or Protestant, was almost perhaps without doubt to obtained financial or polical gains.

Unfortunately the true seekers are too often lumped together with everyone else who was not part of the formal Catholicism.

I am familiar with some of your ideas on this as I have read quite a few of your posts although I did not usually actively participate in those threads. As I have already at least intimated, I do believe God was involved in the exodus from Europe and the development of the United States as a nation. Being primarily white anglo saxon protestant [W.A.S.P.] through my father, I also benefited somewhat, [although for year unbeknownst to me] as a "white" man. God uses what is available to Him to further His plan.

You have always been it seems to me quite strongly against most anything that Lincoln did. He was certainly no sinless saint, but neither was George Washington nor any of those listed among the ones known as the founding fathers of this country. None of us is qualified to judge them ultimately.

Lincoln fought for what he believed as probably did many of the men in the southern Confederacy in that bloody war from 1861-1865. Who among them were truly Christ-like in the totality of their walk with God... if they had such a walk. You are biased toward the general causes of the South and I can understand that. However, I am not so sure that their solution of dividing the country into two nations would have been the best result for anyone. Perhaps I am biased somewhat in Lincoln's favor on some things but to be honest I cannot say that the mess I see around me with our strong central government instead of a group of strong state governments was the best possible result. Ideally the strong states may have been better, but without the central strength could they or would they have been able to endure against the power of other greedy imperialistic nations?

It is a moot point, because we have what we have in spite of what may have been. God is working with the now for us as we are in the now. History makes a difference because people are in a large measure probably formed by that history. Our best position as I see it is to remain always on God's side. Where then is that...hmmm?

Good to talk to you.

In your time you were part of the school system that still operated on Christian beliefs. That has long since been cast aside. This is why there is the great movement today to rewrite history. To write it in light of secular atheism.

To remark on your last paragraph, concerning my statement about Lincoln, I believe it is important, though not the place to start. Our country is tearing down the statues and monuments of the Southern people whenever it can. But it, our country, is also interested in taking away Washington's name and his monuments as well as Coloumbus's. And make no mistake, they will one day get them. These same people are of the ones who want to remove every vestige of Christianity from our government. Thus the 10 commandments are often removed from government property.

Of course no nation comes into existence without God's will. Whether it be Babel or Israel. And good and evil will be found in any nation. But, I believe there is a 'spiritual authority' over every nation that is either good or evil. This authority has to do with the angelic realm and the spirit of the people who make up the nation. Even though the atheist does not believe he has a spirit, is no matter. It makes him all the more susceptible. See (Dan. 10:10-20)

So, as I mentioned before, we must start with the original founding of the New World to determine if our country was founded as a Christian country. Yes Europe was Roman Christianity at that time. But that really doesn't matter. It was Christian. As I have said before, from King to pauper. As Columbus was one of the main players in this era of discovery here are some quotes from him.

Quotes are from a letter dated March 14, 1493. These come from (Select Letters Of Christopher Columbus, etc., etc., R.H. Major, ed, London, 1847, pp. 1-17). I have found them in the book, (Annals of America, Vol. 1, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., 2003, p. 1-5)

"To the first of these islands, which is called by the Indians Guanahani, I gave the name of the blessed Savior (San Salvador), relying upon whose protection I had reached this as well as the other islands;" (p. 1)

"But these great and marvelous results are not to be attributed to any merit of mine but to the holy Christian faith and to the piety and religion of our sovereigns; for that which the unaided intellect of man could not compass, the Spirit of God has granted to human exertions, for God is wont to hear the prayers of His servants who love His precepts even to the performance of apparent impossibilities." (p. 5)

"Therefore, let the King and Queen, our Princes, and their most happy kingdoms, and all the other provinces of Christendom render thanks to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who has granted us so great a victory and such prosperity." (p. 5)

"Let Christ rejoice on earth, as He rejoices in heaven in the prospect of the salvation of the souls of so many nations hitherto lost. Let us also rejoice, as well on account of the exaltation of our faith as on account of the increase of our temporal prosperity, of which not only Spain but all Christendom will be partakers."

Stranger

B

brakelite

I think that IMO one of the greatest of your founding fathers, though a minister of the gospel and not a politician, was Roger Williams. Way before his time his practice and teaching on religious liberty and the separation of church and state, and his establishment and nurturing of a free society in Rhode island laid the foundation for the later first amendment.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus
B

brakelite

I think also that in much of their thinking, those politicians such as Jefferson, Madison, and the Adams, was indeed to be free from the persecuting power of Rome. Yet their brilliance lay not in what some would assume was a provision against Catholics immigrating, but within the framework of religious liberty, their acceptance, all the while understanding that should Catholicism gain the upper hand in American politics, the same liberty of conscience they themselves supported, would by the Catholics be quickly rescinded.
Abraham Lincoln saw this very clearly in his lifetime, describing the work of the Jesuits in politics as a dark cloud that threatened the nation. His subsequent assassination was testimony to the truth of his words.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, but like the ones I posted someone apparently picked statements fitting their own purposes. They don't really tell us much about where the individual actually was in any walk with God... or even if he did walk with God.

Jefferson was sincere in what he believed but few if any Christian groups today would want someone with his beliefs among them. Maybe I am being more severe toward them than of him. I remember reading a detailed biography about him a few years ago and my main problem was with his inability to take action with regard to freeing his own slaves because it would cost him so much money and force him to diminish his expensive life style. Yet, in his writings anyway he really did express a desire to eliminate slavery in the United States. He was unable however, for aforesaid reasons to ever take the necessary first step himself.

As for Lincoln, I liked this one quotation I got from book about him I read over 20 years ago. It was a library book but it was read during a time when I did not really believe I could forget something like the name of a book I had enjoyed... I have forgotten and have given up hope of every knowing it again. I saved the quotation to my computer but neglected to annotate it with a source and date. I do agree with the essence of his statement:

"I have never united myself to any church, because I have
found difficulty in giving my assent without mental reservation,
to the long complicated statements of Christian doctrine which
characterizes their Articles of Belief and Confessions of Faith.
When any church will inscribe over its altar as its sole qualification for membership the Savior's condensed statement of both Law and Gospel, 'thou shalt love the Lord thy God
with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and
thy neighbor as thyself' that church will I join with all my heart and all my soul"
Abraham Lincoln
Full text of "Bassett's scrap book"
maybe?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, the U.S. was established as a Bible believing Christian nation.
i guess in truth they were actually running away from western european protestantism, not toward it, at least at the time
You must first go back to the beginning, not 1776. The founding of the New World coincided with the Reformation movements in Europe. In this you can see that God was providing a place for Protestants to go, where they could exist, and not be under the heavy hand of Romanism. The Roman Church was involved in the founding of the New World, but America would later become Protestant to the core.
although i have seen this concept forwarded too. Prolly depends on whom in history we ask, so to speak

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider these quotes:

"The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian Doctrine."
George Washington

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
Thomas Jefferson

"The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."
Abraham Lincoln

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
Thomas Paine

"During almost fifteen centuries the legal establishment known as Christianity has been on trial, and what have been the fruits, more or less, in all places? These are the fruits: pride, indolence, ignorance, and arrogance in the clergy. Ignorance, arrogance, and servility in the laity, and in both clergy and laity, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."
James Madison

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classified with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and the freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated Reformer of human errors."
Thomas Jefferson

"When the Know-Nothings get control, it [the Declaration of Independence] will read: "All men are created equal except negroes, foreigners and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy."
Abraham Lincoln

"In every country in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. "
Thomas Jefferson, from letters to Horatio G. Spafford and Dr. Thomas Cooper.

"An alliance or coalition between Government and religion cannot be too carefully guarded against......Every new and successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance........religion and government will exist in greater purity, without (rather) than with the aid of government."
James Madison
It is important to know of what time in history that those things were spoken: It was the time of reformation among the Christian church, and of escaping both forms of religious tyranny. Nonetheless, each signed according to their faith in God, those things "endowed by their Creator."

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But, I believe there is a 'spiritual authority' over every nation that is either good or evil. This authority has to do with the angelic realm and the spirit of the people who make up the nation.

For see, I am raising up Chaldea, that bitter and unruly people, That marches the breadth of the land to take dwellings not his own.

Terrible and dreadful is he, from himself derive his law and his majesty

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good to talk to you.
Likewise!

In your time you were part of the school system that still operated on Christian beliefs. That has long since been cast aside. This is why there is the great movement today to rewrite history. To write it in light of secular atheism.
Yes, indeed, but even then the erosion seemed to be was well underway. My old pastor speaks to me of an even earlier time when as a boy in Ontario, Canada scriptures was read every morning in public school and everyone prayed together prior to entering the class room for work on the 3Rs.

In my elementary public school, we were all released one day a week in what was known as "religious release". The nuns met us at the school to walk to nearby building where we were taught from the catechism. A protestant counterpart [there was only one Protestant church in our town] took away the interested Protestant children. Those remaining at the school, mostly Mormons, had lightly supervised free time in the classrooms until we returned. This was done during regular classroom hours and covered everyone from the 1st through the 8th grades.

How Christian was it? Well it was more Christ-like anything I've seen the public schools allow or offer lately.

To remark on your last paragraph, concerning my statement about Lincoln, I believe it is important, though not the place to start. Our country is tearing down the statues and monuments of the Southern people whenever it can. But it, our country, is also interested in taking away Washington's name and his monuments as well as Coloumbus's. And make no mistake, they will one day get them. These same people are of the ones who want to remove every vestige of Christianity from our government. Thus the 10 commandments are often removed from government property.
We are mostly together here. Whatever there has been of Christ-like practices on any kind of an official level by governments is diminishing. People who know not God at all [along with some who claim to know God] see the superficial part as an improvement, but the miss what is missing in the changes... a real attempt by many to remove God from our lives. This is not really possible for some with a real connection, but as some would say, satan is a past master as accomplishing the wrong things.

Of course no nation comes into existence without God's will. Whether it be Babel or Israel. And good and evil will be found in any nation. But, I believe there is a 'spiritual authority' over every nation that is either good or evil. This authority has to do with the angelic realm and the spirit of the people who make up the nation. Even though the atheist does not believe he has a spirit, is no matter. It makes him all the more susceptible. See (Dan. 10:10-20)
Yes, the battles continue although many do not see who are on God's side and who are not. They have walked and talked blindly without much real understanding. I've walked blindly in too many places myself to pat myself on the back here... The good thing for me is that God is not finished with me yet. The trouble for many is, as I see it, is that they think that the work is already finished in them.

So, as I mentioned before, we must start with the original founding of the New World to determine if our country was founded as a Christian country. Yes Europe was Roman Christianity at that time. But that really doesn't matter. It was Christian. As I have said before, from King to pauper. As Columbus was one of the main players in this era of discovery here are some quotes from him.

Quotes are from a letter dated March 14, 1493. These come from (Select Letters Of Christopher Columbus, etc., etc., R.H. Major, ed, London, 1847, pp. 1-17). I have found them in the book, (Annals of America, Vol. 1, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., 2003, p. 1-5)

"To the first of these islands, which is called by the Indians Guanahani, I gave the name of the blessed Savior (San Salvador), relying upon whose protection I had reached this as well as the other islands;" (p. 1)

"But these great and marvelous results are not to be attributed to any merit of mine but to the holy Christian faith and to the piety and religion of our sovereigns; for that which the unaided intellect of man could not compass, the Spirit of God has granted to human exertions, for God is wont to hear the prayers of His servants who love His precepts even to the performance of apparent impossibilities." (p. 5)

"Therefore, let the King and Queen, our Princes, and their most happy kingdoms, and all the other provinces of Christendom render thanks to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who has granted us so great a victory and such prosperity." (p. 5)

"Let Christ rejoice on earth, as He rejoices in heaven in the prospect of the salvation of the souls of so many nations hitherto lost. Let us also rejoice, as well on account of the exaltation of our faith as on account of the increase of our temporal prosperity, of which not only Spain but all Christendom will be partakers."

Stranger

There is still good available to whosoever will and among many in our past much can been seen by those who have proper eyesight!

Give God the glory!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think also that in much of their thinking, those politicians such as Jefferson, Madison, and the Adams, was indeed to be free from the persecuting power of Rome. Yet their brilliance lay not in what some would assume was a provision against Catholics immigrating, but within the framework of religious liberty, their acceptance, all the while understanding that should Catholicism gain the upper hand in American politics, the same liberty of conscience they themselves supported, would by the Catholics be quickly rescinded.
Abraham Lincoln saw this very clearly in his lifetime, describing the work of the Jesuits in politics as a dark cloud that threatened the nation. His subsequent assassination was testimony to the truth of his words.
Thank you for this. I really wish I remembered enough to comment but I have simply forgotten so many of the details. Some of this stuff I am probably relearning from this thread.

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps some well read historians will visit us and help in this. The only ones I would tend to believe based on personal reading to be authentic would be Jefferson and Lincoln.
Let me rush to Washington's defense.

The quote attributed to Washington is from the Treaty of Tripoli which was signed by John Adams. Work on its started during Washington's administration; but it got signed when Adams was President. The Muslims wanted to make the treaty but not if the United States was going to have a policy that had motivated the Crusades.

Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia

For three centuries up to the time of the Treaty, the Mediterranean Sea lanes had been preyed on by the North African Muslim states of the Barbary Coast (Tripoli, Algiers, Morocco and Tunis) through privateering (government-sanctioned piracy). Hostages captured by the Barbary pirates were either ransomed or forced into slavery, contributing to the greater Ottoman slave trade (of which the Barbary states were a segment). Life for the captives often was harsh, especially for Christian captives, and many died from their treatment. Some captives "went Turk", that is, converted to Islam, a choice that made life in captivity easier for them.

The treaty ended the attack on American ships by Barbary pirates.

Article 11 reads:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

According to Frank Lambert, Professor of History at Purdue University, the assurances in Article 11 were "intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers." Lambert writes,

By their actions, the Founding Fathers made clear that their primary concern was religious freedom, not the advancement of a state religion. Individuals, not the government, would define religious faith and practice in the United States. Thus the Founders ensured that in no official sense would America be a Christian Republic. Ten years after the Constitutional Convention ended its work, the country assured the world that the United States was a secular state, and that its negotiations would adhere to the rule of law, not the dictates of the Christian faith. The assurances were contained in the Treaty of Tripoli of 1797 and were intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers.

Washington was definitely a Christian; and while he was a member of an Episcopalian Church, he often attended other churches. I think he did that to discourage the idea that he was in favor of an official state church and perhaps to foster Christian unity. When he visited my town, he went to the First Presbyterian Church that is right across the street from the Episcopal Church.

That treaty passed the Senate unanimously.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the context is needed for a better picture of the men supposedly quoted. I knew of some things such as who the "know nothings were from some of my own reading. A few years ago I decided to learn more about all of the US presidents. Regarding some, there is a large library of information available at the local library. Abraham Lincoln was a favorite for a great many students of history. Yet for others it was difficult to find a book about just the one president. You could only find articles about them in books which discussed several or even all of the presidents. There was one interesting one that discussed the Adams family [not from TV] and the connections with and impact on the United States. I guess we could find a lot on the Internet but not being accustomed to reading books on the computer [older school] I did not even look there.

A good study on any one of the presidents should not usually come from the reading of only one biographical book because writers do at times include their own biases in their writings. Would you believe that?

Thank you for your interest and comments.
I agree with your comments about biographies. It's kind of coincidental that I am on a long-term quest to read a biography for each of the Presidents. I am on my third (John Adams... I already read Grant's).

For Adams I chose David McCollough's book. He writes beautifully! But I have already read reviews, and despite it being an award winning book, not all his peers we're thrilled with the book. Moreover, his writing somethimes comes off as show-offish. It seems he is interested in producing a masterpiece as much or more than he is about giving information. He's also a bit rough on Jefferson, which will make it interesting when I tackle him in a couple of weeks.

In any sense, I understand what you are saying about biographers having bias.