Freedom To Sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I mostly want to talk about is this idea that believing we are completely and permanently forgiven of all sin past present future somehow releases us into a cesspool of sinning.

I would love to know who, and how long ago, the phrase, "past, present and future" with regard to the forgiveness of sin started. 2 Peter 1:9 clearly says our past sins were forgiven.

I've never seen a scripture that claims that once born again, our present and future sins are already cleansed.

Reactions: Wynona and amadeus

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just saw this, Are you asking this of me? Are you meaning to say I think God saves us and abandons us? Does nothing more? Is that what you mean? Let me know if I understand the question, and I will give you my answer.

It was a response to @farouk.

Indeed the Holy Spirit works in believers; as quoted above: Philippians 1.6: "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

Eternal security is very assuring; for which there are many Scriptures.

And i agree with eternal security as a doctrine, but the problem is it is not something that can be taught as a doctrine but rather something that must be arrived at by experiencing the full assurance of the faith that comes from Spiritual growth. This is why all the passages are there in scripture about conditional security, and I am sure if you have debated with anyone you know which passages i am speaking of. Coming to the full assurance of the faith must be lived through, The valley of doubt must be traversed before security and assurance of the faith arrived at. To deny a person this experience is to deny them the victory over their doubts which in the end will lead them to falling away from the truth.

With a right understanding of how both conditional security and eternal security play a role in the Christian journey this perceived divide between the two sides comes to a mutual and respectful understanding of One another. Those who do not want this sort of understanding see this as compromise on truth, But in reality it is arriving at the truth. This is what it means to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.... Some verses to consider.

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.(Colossians 2:2-8)

Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. (Hebrews 10:22)

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12-13)

The Point of me bringing up John 15 is because this was the aha moment for me when i fully grasped what is said there. It is the Holy Spirit that yields the fruit of the Spirit in us, all we have to "do" is abide in the vine. The vine brings water (The Holy Ghost) to the branches without which the branch cannot produce fruit. fruit is not our work, but the work of the water, the lifeblood of the branch. Without the lifeblood there is no growth. Once a person begins to produce fruit, that is when a child of God is "pruned" this is the sanctification of the Spirit, that pruning process yields greater and greater fruit in us, and this pruning process is where we come to understand the full assurrance of the faith for we experience the Love of the Father for his sons and daughters as he disciplines and corrects us and we can only cry "Abba, Father"

So for me it is one thing to say we have eternal security, but you MUST live and experience the full assurance of the faith that comes from knowing the Love of God firsthand. It is then that he can begin to perfect his love in us. Until then we are merely teaching the traditions of men as opposed to Christ Jesus.

Just to give an analogy of this, a student can go to med school for eight years and if he has never had his residency he has never fully experienced what it means to operate on someone. He may know all the facts and what to do but he has no experience doing it. The fundamentalist textualist has studied scripture inside and out, and they know what it says, but they have not experienced those teachings.... Now I realize this is a generalization of the symptoms and not all fundamentalists are like this, but you can usually tell by how they respond to you raising a contrarian view on scripture, and you can see it here if you know how to look. What it boils down to is they are exclusivistic, and their camp gets smaller and smaller with each passing day, and Unity of The Spirit is never arrived at, and this is not a problem exclusively with the fundamentalist textualist But with the militant catholic or Calvinist or Methodist or whatever of the thousands of denominations and counting. Do You think this is how the blood bought church is supposed to be? Is she walking in the power of the Spirit or in the pride of man? The Pride of man is what keeps the church divided by claiming exclusivity of Truth, which is contrary to the apostle Paul who i dare say knew more than most yet he said he only knows in part. We as a church need to be more like Paul in this regard, and stop being hardened ground and instead be fertile ground for the seed to take hold and root in and grow.

If You read this, and you conclude that i am preaching legalism then you do not understand what Holiness is. Holiness is abiding in the vine, and letting the Holy Spirit work in you and teach you and thus allowing you to produce the fruit of the Spirit, and as Paul said, "against such there is no law" (Galatians 5:22-26). This is what it means to be free from sin.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David claims there is coming a second Pentecost, and THEN, but NOT NOW, Christians will be able to really live the kind of life God wants for us. And particularly as this involves our unity with each other. But until there is this "second outpouring", nothing will break through our desire for good sounding doctrine that soothes us in our pride and hardness of heart, our unrepentance and defiance of God, while we claim His forgiveness. But all the while unwilling to change. That's his thinking.

I Do not claim that, scripture prophesies this.... Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. (James 5:7)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have only experienced 2 forums... and both were polar opposite in how they approach things. At Worthy... the entire focus was on UNITY and REVIVAL... and being polite with one another at all costs... which sounds good in theory....but it was my experience that this gave birth to a lot of FALSE UNITY.

Although I have so often felt overwhelming frustration here at this site... I have to say that I have been given full liberty to express myself completely... and that is truly quite remarkable. I have never been silenced for what I think... feel or believe... I have however been CORRECTED on how I behave with my words towards others. I have copied this warning and highlighted it in bold.

I will just go ahead and address this in the forum....those guilty of flaming and goading....which also means instigating strife by the words you choose to reply with are asked to reply in kindness and respect of the other member.

In my opinion....It is IMPOSSIBLE to embrace the doctrine of "conditional salvation" and "eternal security" at the same time. The two beliefs are polar opposite and not meant to come together... One belief brings death and the other brings life. I have seen both sides of this belief system... I have LIVED both sides.... and they simply do NOT belong together... nor should they be treated as equal... so to state that one must respect the other side is speaking without the knowledge and/or understanding of how very damaging and dangerous the doctrine of conditional salvation is.

The word GRACE is such a beautiful word... it is a word that brings HOPE... and LIFE... however... sadly... it has become a word that has been used as a weapon by the side that states you aren't allowed to partake in it. The Grace police I call them... because they are stingily holding onto something that does not even belong to them.

GRACE is NOT free license to sin... it is NOT an excuse to be bad... it is NOT something that encourages dis-obedience and or luke-warm behaviour of any kind... nor is it something that promotes repetitive sinning. GRACE is the pure and precious action of forgiveness for our sins.

It is something HOLY and SACRED.

Grace is a life-line to the drowning... and we all need it... we are all so very BLESSED that it is AVAILABLE to us.

I will forever be a defender of this thing called GRACE. and I will never ACCEPT the other side because it is a lie to state that we are NOT secure in our salvation.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would love to know who, and how long ago, the phrase, "past, present and future" with regard to the forgiveness of sin started. 2 Peter 1:9 clearly says our past sins were forgiven.

I've never seen a scripture that claims that once born again, our present and future sins are already cleansed.
When Jesus was crucified on the cross His blood that was shed was for the remission of sin....He died for the whole world taking the whole world's sin upon Him....past, present and future....IMHO I think what is meant by saying His forgiveness of our sins....past, present and future....comes from the Omniscience of God having seen all from beginning to end. Meaning He has already seen every sin you have or will commit and already knows your beginning and end.
God, having already seen past, present and future used prophets to convey what would come to pass.
So any sin we have committed, or are committing, or will commit God has already seen.
We still must daily repent of our sins and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.
There are so many ways to sin that we sometimes engage in a sin and afterwards we are convicted in our heart by the Holy Spirit of it....we repent...He forgives.
Willingly sinning....that one is hard for me to grasp. Does a born again Christian willingly sin or does the weakness of the flesh become a stumbling block? Example....I don't willingly get angry and say mean things to someone who has offended me....but my mouth has already said the words that caused the person to be hurt or angered by.....it was a weakness in my flesh to react without thinking it through....
I tend to over-react and it causes alot of strife....where there is envy and strife there is all manners of evil present. We are putting on a party for evil to come and join when we strive against one another and I see that EVERYDAY here on the forum.
We have alot of sinners in here...lol.
Causing strife and division....and who will admit they are guilty of this as well?
I am....and I repent and ask forgiveness....

Reactions: marks

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have only experienced 2 forums... and both were polar opposite in how they approach things. At Worthy... the entire focus was on UNITY and REVIVAL... and being polite with one another at all costs... which sounds good in theory....but it was my experience that this gave birth to a lot of FALSE UNITY.

Although I have so often felt overwhelming frustration here at this site... I have to say that I have been given full liberty to express myself completely... and that is truly quite remarkable. I have never been silenced for what I think... feel or believe... I have however been CORRECTED on how I behave with my words towards others. I have copied this warning and highlighted it in bold.

I will just go ahead and address this in the forum....those guilty of flaming and goading....which also means instigating strife by the words you choose to reply with are asked to reply in kindness and respect of the other member.

In my opinion....It is IMPOSSIBLE to embrace the doctrine of "conditional salvation" and "eternal security" at the same time. The two beliefs are polar opposite and not meant to come together... One belief brings death and the other brings life. I have seen both sides of this belief system... I have LIVED both sides.... and they simply do NOT belong together... nor should they be treated as equal... so to state that one must respect the other side is speaking without the knowledge and/or understanding of how very damaging and dangerous the doctrine of conditional salvation is.

The word GRACE is such a beautiful word... it is a word that brings HOPE... and LIFE... however... sadly... it has become a word that has been used as a weapon by the side that states you aren't allowed to partake in it. The Grace police I call them... because they are stingily holding onto something that does not even belong to them.

GRACE is NOT free license to sin... it is NOT an excuse to be bad... it is NOT something that encourages dis-obedience and or luke-warm behaviour of any kind... nor is it something that promotes repetitive sinning. GRACE is the pure and precious action of forgiveness for our sins.

It is something HOLY and SACRED.

Grace is a life-line to the drowning... and we all need it... we are all so very BLESSED that it is AVAILABLE to us.

I will forever be a defender of this thing called GRACE. and I will never ACCEPT the other side because it is a lie to state that we are NOT secure in our salvation.
I fully accept God's Mercy and Grace which is new everyday...He knows my beginning and end and I am thankful for His love and patience towards me.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I fully accept God's Mercy and Grace which is new everyday...He knows my beginning and end and I am thankful for His love and patience towards me.
Yep... and what a way to enter into a NEW DAY... knowing full well that God is on our side... He is for us... NOT against us... HE is doing a good work in us... and even when that does not seem to be the case ( for the outsider looking in )... It remains the truth for each and every believer.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep... and what a way to enter into a NEW DAY... knowing full well that God is on our side... He is for us... NOT against us... HE is doing a good work in us... and even when that does not seem to be the case ( for the outsider looking in )... It remains the truth for each and every believer.
When He became my Father is when I knew I was secure in Him....I am a mother of 2 and I could never imagine not loving them.....no matter how many times they disobey or break the rules....i will always love them.
And if me, being human, can attain such a great depth of love for my children how much more can my heavenly Father love me...so much more that I can't comprehend it!:)

Reactions: Pearl

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When He became my Father is when I knew I was secure in Him....I am a mother of 2 and I could never imagine not loving them.....no matter how many times they disobey or break the rules....i will always love them.
And if me, being human, can attain such a great depth of love for my children how much more can my heavenly Father love me...so much more that I can't comprehend it!:)
That is exactly the THING.... If our human parents can love us unconditionally... ( and sadly mine did not )... then how much MORE can our Heavenly Father love us??? YOU hit the nail right on the head... Children that come from loving homes... NEVER EVER question if they are loved from one day to the next... and so why should we as God's kids think it would be any other way. Your words were RIGHT on the MONEY... HONEY... LOL

For me... It has only been about one year... and actually more accurately in these last recent weeks... that I have been able to BASK in....the fact that I am TRULY LOVED by GOD... that I am CHERISHED by HIM.... THIS has changed EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING for me...

I am filled with JOY like I cannot express.... I feel like a child... and I am running in the meadow... FREE as a BIRD.... It is so beautiful... but I cannot seem to find the words to articulate what has happened to me. I am in AWE of EVERYTHING about God... His LOVE... His GRACE... His MERCY... His LONG-SUFFERING... His POWER and His MIGHT.... It has left me speechless...

I am a testimony ... that HE will replace our mourning with JOY.... IT is true... and OH the JOY that now floods my soul....

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So are you saying you exclude large segments of the Christian faith (Wesleyanism) because they hold to this doctrine? I Know too many who have a deep deep love for Christ Jesus who share this belief, and they have a very good reason for these beliefs backed up by ample scriptures to prove its validity. If you actually study these things you cannot deny this, and there is a reason that God via the inspiration of the Holy Ghost put those words therein. You see the problem is not with what God has done, the problem is with the sin in mankind, and until mankind addresses the sin problem they will fall into the pride of mankind which involves exclusivity of doctrine. We see this everywhere, from Catholic Dogma to Calvinist election to Baptist immersion and fundamentalist textualism etc. these are the things that divide the church, the pride of mankind which must be overcome if the church is to walk in the fulness of Christ. Revival is in essence a mutual throwing away of this pride and coming together unified in Christ Jesus it is not a small camp, but one that rejoices with all who have received the Gospel of Christ from all backgrounds. This is where the concept of "camp meetings" come from, they are not denominational revivals, they are Revivals in Unity of the Spirit, and we have not seen a real revival since the turn of the 20th century and much of this is the result of the pluralistic atmosphere of the church. One that is content to live not in one accord.

As I said I firmly believe in eternal security myself but I had to walk through the valley of doubt and we all must in order to overcome this doubt. to teach eternal security as a doctrine denies the individual the experience of overcoming their doubts, and that is where conditional security plays a role in our Christian walk, it is a steppingstone along our path that we all must overcome, if we do not experience this overcoming we are likely to fall away when the trials and cares of this world happen in our lives.... The fiery trial. That is because their ground was not good, and the seed never took root and is choked out by the cares of this world, even though they receive it with joy in some cases.

The testing of your faith worketh patience (Romans 5:3, James 1:3) This patience is not as modernity understands patience but is defined as stead fastness. Here is its biblical usage from strong's
  1. steadfastness, constancy, endurance
    1. in the NT the characteristic of a man who is not swerved from his deliberate purpose and his loyalty to faith and piety by even the greatest trials and sufferings

2. patiently, and steadfastly
  2. a patient, steadfast waiting for

3. a patient enduring, sustaining, perseverance
This is the difference between a faith that will fall away, and a faith that will persevere, and we are living in a time of the seduction of Christianity a time of prosperity of the churches with for the most part very few trials and our faith has gotten soft and comfortable which enables us to walk and live in the absence of the Power of the Spirit amongst us and we have no need of the unity of the Spirit. This feminization of the church has caused her to lose her savor and saltiness, and she is no longer a light to the world. What I am saying here is an attempt to reform the church in the fulness of Christ not a compromise but a focus on the Truth, and Jesus is the Truth, and you shall know the truth and the truth will set you free. How you get from a to b is to submit to the sanctifying work of the Holy Ghost who will lead you into all truth, not just partial truth, and partial erro as is what happens when we are led by men and the traditions of men.

God Bless.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@David H. I am absolutely fine with the fact that you and I do not see things in the same way.

What I am saying is that there are a large number of Christians whom I will NOT ALLOW to teach me about Christianity. I listed
the majority of them.

It is very simple. I do not desire to argue with you regarding this matter. God bless you also.

Reactions: Pearl

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disobedient children cannot remain in fellowship with their parents until their disobedience has been dealt with. But they remain children.

Earthly parents are affected by favoritism. In this case many parents would allow their ‘out of fellowship’ children to enter heaven (if it were up to them). This notion of ‘being in/out of fellowship’ is just another invention of the Once Saved Always Saved doctrine; just like the “rewards, loss of rewards” lie. The tired overly used “children remain children/the born again cannot be unborn” are just phrases spawned from this false doctrine that many repeat often without one scripture that teaches these witty sayings.

But God does not work this way. The wilfull sins of a born again believer cannot be reconciled.

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins," (Hebrews 10:26)

At this point this persons’ heart becomes hardened and he will be incapable of repenting seeing that he is no longer the ignorant lost man he once was before as a new comer to the faith in ignorance of the word of God.

"But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." (Hebrews 3:13)

He is now what is referred to in scripture as a cursed child.

"…cursed children: Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray" (2 Peter 2:14-15)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Goodness Gracious @Michiah-Imla .... Your life must be so unpleasant...
Willful sin??? That is simply a way to EXCUSE the sins that you commit.

I am so BLESSED to live my life in peace and away from all this despair.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wilfull sins of a born again believer cannot be reconciled

all sin is willful, and no one is without sin.

if any misstep after having come to belief results in loss of salvation, without possibility of reconciliation ((as you say)) - then there is no salvation and no one will be saved, because there is not a single one of us who walks upright and never stumbles.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
all sin is willful, and no one is without sin.

if any misstep after having come to belief results in loss of salvation, without possibility of reconciliation ((as you say)) - then there is no salvation and no one will be saved, because there is not a single one of us who walks upright and never stumbles.
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... a breath of FRESH AIR..... Good morning sir....

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your life must be so unpleasant...

@Addy

My life has ups and downs like any other person.

But these times are very trying.

"…now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations" (1 Peter 1:6)

I have had to draw nearer to God because I felt like I was drifting off a little; getting caught up in the affairs of this evil world (COVID, vaccine oppression, rigged elections, evil democrats, weak republicans, etc.).

More prayer, more meditation in the word, more patience toward confused Christians. Loving my enemies. It all takes prayer and close fellowship with God through the Spirit and his word.

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:7)

"So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure: Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer" (2 Thessalonians 1:4-5)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all sin is willful

This statement flies in the face of scripture. How can you make such an erroneous statement like this?

Hear what the word says here:

"And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a she goat of the first year for a sin offering." (Numbers 15:27)

"But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him." (Numbers 15:30-31)

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My life has ups and downs like any other person.

as i was saying..

I have had to draw nearer to God because I felt like I was drifting off a little;

you were saying there is no more sacrifice for sin, so if you drift away, there is no coming back..

More prayer, more meditation in the word, more patience toward confused Christians.

substituting 'prayer' and 'meditation' and 'trying to be patient' for a sacrifice for sin?
bro it takes blood.

remember your own words:

The wilfull sins of a born again believer cannot be reconciled.

doesn't your comment apply to yourself?
so then how is it that you are 'still saved' if indeed you consider yourself to be?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This statement flies in the face of scripture. How can you make such an erroneous statement like this?

Hear what the word says here:

"And if any soul sin through ignorance, then he shall bring a she goat of the first year for a sin offering." (Numbers 15:27)

lack of knowledge is not equivalent to lack of will.

Status
Not open for further replies.