Friend of God and a Son of God, what's the difference?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW! Are you equating yourself to be the Son of God (spelled with a little "g"?) To tell the truth, I'm not surprised!!!

To you it might be but as long as there are people like you, I will keep telling the Gospel truth for I don't wish anyone to end up in hell.

To God Be The Glory

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, the Bible does teach there is a difference between being a friend of God or a son of God. This distinction can be found in both the Old and New Testaments. Isaiah 41:8 (NIV), “But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend…” James 2:23 (ESV), “… ‘Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness’–and he was called a friend of God.”

In the Old Testament, the closest relationship God had with a man or woman was as a friend of God. Even Moses was called a friend. Exodus 33:11, “So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend…”

In the Gospels, Jesus spoke to His followers as friends, but not as sons of God. John 15:15 (NKJV), “No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.” In summary, some benefits of friendship with God are receiving a clearer understanding of God’s will, being led by God, being used by God to do His will.

However, after Jesus died for our sins, people could be forgiven and thereby justified (made right) from God’s perspective. Jesus opened a new and living way. Hebrews 10:19-20 (ESV), “Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh”.

This narrow way (Matthew 7:14) is the call to follow only God’s will. When God accepts this consecration, the believer is begotten by the Holy Spirit as a new creature. At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was first given to believers and it was then that they became sons of God as new creatures.

What are the benefits of being a son of God?

Presently, true Christians have peace, hope, joy, answered prayers, and guidance. They have the great privilege of communion with the supreme Creator as their personal father. If faithful, these sons of God will be part of the little flock, the true Church of God, the Bride of Christ. Revelation 17:14 (NKJV), “those who are with Him (Jesus) are called, chosen, and faithful.” (See also Revelation 2:10.) They will be resurrected with the divine nature. (2 Peter 1:4, 1 John 3:2)

What will happen to God's friends of old and to the majority of mankind? Jesus died for all mankind and God loves everyone. In the resurrection, most people will learn to love righteousness and will conscrate their all to God. They will become perfect human sons (as was Adam, Luke 3:38). God's plan has always been to bless everyone during Christ’s reign on Earth. Genesis 12:3 (KJV), “…in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

There ought not be any difference between being a born son of God, and being a friend of God.

We are born again by faith in Christ, we are justified by Christ with works of friendship.

If a son of God by faith, is not being a friend of God by works, then he is taking his sonship for granted, and his confession of the Lord Jesus is becoming lip service only.

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men.

All they have left is a doctrinal relationship, not a real friendship.

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
None of the Old Testament patriarchs are called "sons of God". There is not ONE verse that describes them as one. The burden of proof is on you.
The OT saints were justified by grace through faith and declared to be "saints". But until the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost, they did not have the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. While we are not told that on that day all the OT saints also became children of God, it is a reasonable conclusion. And it is the indwelling Spirit who regenerates believers and makes them "children of God" (even though the Bible generally calls them "sons of God"). That is because they are born of God.

The Holy Spirit could not be sent until Christ had finished His work of redemption and ascended back to Heaven. He said that He would send the Comforter, and so He did.

As to the term "sons of God" in the OT, it applied strictly to angels as direct creations of God, hence "sons" of God. And "friend of God" applied to several of the OT saints.

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OT saints were justified by grace through faith and declared to be "saints". But until the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost, they did not have the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. While we are not told that on that day all the OT saints also became children of God, it is a reasonable conclusion. And it is the indwelling Spirit who regenerates believers and makes them "children of God" (even though the Bible generally calls them "sons of God"). That is because they are born of God.

The Holy Spirit could not be sent until Christ had finished His work of redemption and ascended back to Heaven. He said that He would send the Comforter, and so He did.

As to the term "sons of God" in the OT, it applied strictly to angels as direct creations of God, hence "sons" of God. And "friend of God" applied to several of the OT saints.
Hmmm ...So the Old Testament saints were begotten by the Holy Spirit? How did they receive the indwelling of the spirit at Pentecost having been dead for thousands of years?

RR

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hmmm ...So the Old Testament saints were begotten by the Holy Spirit? How did they receive the indwelling of the spirit at Pentecost having been dead for thousands of years?

RR
1. The OT saints would have received the gift of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. Therefore they are now "the spirits of just men MADE PERFECT". See Hebrews 12.

2. They were not "dead" for thousands of years but very much alive in Sheol/Hades. And following the resurrection of Christ they were all taken to Heaven by Christ as alive and awake saints, and made "a cloud of witnesses". See Hebrews 12.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This verse says NOTHING about them being in heaven.
I don't follow.

Mathew 8:11 YLT
11 and I say to you, that many from east and west shall come and recline (at meat) with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the reign of the heavens,

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why will a Christian Site disallow discussing the deity of Jesus if Jesus is the main central figure in the Bible?
I'm copying and pasting the following. If I'm understanding this correctly, one can NOT say that "Jesus is not God".

Christianity Board has alway prided itself in being a place of scholarly discussion, friendship and an environment where members can grow, learn and share their experiences in Christ.

Our team at Cyb have worked hard over the years to ensure that this ethos is maintained and upheld however, we would like to bring to your attention, certain recurring topics, that have caused much division and strife here over the years.

These topics have tended to cause heated debate, strife and division between members and/or inappropriate behavior within those discussions, which simply will not be tolerated here at CyB

We are not disputing the fact that these topics are important however, they also tend to bring out the worse in members. To a point where such behavior is unacceptable in a Christian forum

At the moment, we only have issue with one particular topic, which is "The Trinity".

This topic may not be initiated, discussed or debated at Christianity Board, whether it be for or against the Trinitarian view. Included in this is the side mantra of "Jesus is not God"
Such posts/threads will be deleted immediately and disciplinary action will be taken in the form of warning points and/or bans depending on the outcome. Old threads will also be removed from public view as well as new ones.

Please Note: This does not include the 3 non-christian sections however, rules of engagement still apply for all members there.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm copying and pasting the following. If I'm understanding this correctly, one can NOT say that "Jesus is not God".
You are correct, of course, because Jesus is God and only God can forgive sins!

Consider Isaiah 43:11:
I, [even] I, [am] the LORD (Jehovah); and beside me [there is] no saviour.

Jesus forgave sins while on earth and He is the savior of the world according to Scripture, that means Jesus is JEHOVAH GOD in Isaiah 43:11.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't follow.

Mathew 8:11 YLT
11 and I say to you, that many from east and west shall come and recline (at meat) with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the reign of the heavens,
Is not the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth? Isn't that what we pray for, "Thy Kingdom Come on earth"?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you say "most"? Aren't ALL destined to be with God in his kingdom on the new Earth?
Not if you mean "all" as "each and every." The Bible is very clear, hell will heavily be populated! Only those that God predestinated to salvation and were given eternal life are destined to be with God in His kingdom in the New Earth.

To God Be The Glory

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those that God predestinated to salvation...
Why would a loving God condemn BILLIONS of people, who he created in HIS image, to an eternity of endless torture? Please read the following statements from Jesus.

1 John 4:7-21 esv

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. 19 We love because he first loved us. 20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot[a] love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

Why would Jesus come for sinners if he had already predestined them to an eternity of torture?

Matthew 9:13 esv
Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL will be given the opportunity, not all will avail themselves of it.
And that's why they will need to be refined in the great crucible that we know as the "Lake of Fire". God refines us, in this world as well as in the hereafter. There are numerous verses that describe God as a refiner and we are what is being refined, constantly. Our refinement will be finished after we die.

1 John 3:3 esv
And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

Mark 9:49
For everyone will be salted with fire.

Malachi 3:2-3 esv
But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, and they will bring offerings in righteousness to the Lord.

Hebrews 1:3 ESV
He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Zechariah 13:9
And I will put this third into the fire,
and refine them as one refines silver,
and test them as gold is tested.
They will call upon my name,
and I will answer them.
I will say, ‘They are my people’;
and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”

1 Peter 1:7 esv
So that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 1:25 esv
I will turn my hand against you and will smelt away your dross as with lye and remove all your alloy

Isaiah 48:10 esv
Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in the furnace of affliction

Psalm 66:10 esv
For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried.

Proverbs 17:3 esv
The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts.

Job 23:10 esv
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.

Jeremiah 9:7 esv
Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts: “Behold, I will refine them and test them, for what else can I do, because of my people?

Jeremiah 6:29 esv
The bellows blow fiercely; the lead is consumed by the fire; in vain the refining goes on, for the wicked are not removed.

Proverbs 25:4 esv
Take away the dross from the silver, and the smith has material for a vessel

Revelation 19:20 YLT
and the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet who did the signs before him, in which he led astray those who did receive the mark of the beast, and those who did bow before his image; living they were cast -- the two -- to the lake of the fire, that is burning with brimstone

Revelation 20:10 YLT
and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [are] the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night -- to the ages of the ages.

Revelation 3:18 esv
I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.

1 Peter 5:10 esv
And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

Titus 2:14 esv
Who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Ezekiel 22:18-22 esv
Son of man, the house of Israel has become dross to me; all of them are bronze and tin and iron and lead in the furnace; they are dross of silver. Therefore thus says the Lord God: Because you have all become dross, therefore, behold, I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem. As one gathers silver and bronze and iron and lead and tin into a furnace, to blow the fire on it in order to melt it, so I will gather you in my anger and in my wrath, and I will put you in and melt you. I will gather you and blow on you with the fire of my wrath, and you shall be melted in the midst of it. As silver is melted in a furnace, so you shall be melted in the midst of it, and you shall know that I am the Lord; I have poured out my wrath upon you.”

Psalm 12:6 esv
The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times.

Revelation 14:10 esv
He also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since we are not allowed to discuss the diety of Jesus on this site, I would appreciate it if you keep your opinions to yourself Jun
We are allowed to say Jesus is God. No one is allowed to argue that Jesus is NOT God.
But trinity debate is not allowed AT ALL from either side.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please do not respond to my posts maam, I was not speaking to you.
I can respond to whatever posts I want to respond to. I know that’s hard sometimes, believe me. I am myself learning how to deal with difficult people. So just consider me a difficult person God sends to you sometimes to teach you something.

Reactions: JunChosen