Garb in the Churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In a word no. We are who we are before God every day of the week so why should Sunday be any different. We have to be able to be ourselves and express our individual personalities. As a new Christian many moons ago, I felt people in the church looked down on me because I wore earrings and make-up so I stopped and became rather dowdy. But then I learned to accept who I am and be myself because God love the me he created me to be and I am allowed to wear dangly earrings and make up and I am now free to be myself. But I would never be immodest but then I suppose that is something for the individual to define for themselves. We need to just accept each other - tattoos and all.
FYI:
QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

@Pearl: So then does this quote ring true/make any sense to you?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FYI:
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

@Pearl: So then does this quote ring true/make any sense to you?

We don't see many 'religious' tattoos here in the UK and to be honest I can't understand why a young woman would want to go to such extremes.

Reactions: Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We don't see many 'religious' tattoos here in the UK and to be honest I can't understand why a young woman would want to go to such extremes.
My wife and I talked to a young lady with the wording of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done. My simple reaction: glad to see she did it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My son has 'Only God can judge me.' tattooed up his arm.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No in my opinion it's not biblical. Look at the bible, the apostles didn't adorn themselves with riches, or give themselves fancy titles & own fancy bridled horses. What's our example? Seems to me Jesus had no place to lay His head and one cloak. The early church was not rich or decked out like the Romans.
Btw, I attended one of those churches with one of those self-named "Bishops" everybody in the place went nuts when he was introduced, they stood up and clapped and cheered. I stood but I did not clap or cheer and I marveled at the people around me.
Since when do you clap & cheer for your Pastor on Sunday entering to preach the word of God? We give glory to God. The Pastors in my church are great guys , ordinary husbands , fathers , who love the Lord & fear God, they are overseers & and caretakers of the flock. We clap & rejoice together for the Lord, our Pastors in my church are like us, but who have studied to show themselves approved in preaching the word of God, they are not celebrities. We are an inclusive little church family. I think the small community churches are more to my liking.
There are some really odd church set-ups around...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen.

I like your other post too. God knows who we are 24/7..so why on earth would we act or dress differently on a Sunday!! o_O

Dave has 6 tattoo's...he he preached for decades.

I guess for girls though or anyone really, it is sad to se them marking their bodies up. If God wanted us with ink markings , he's have made us that way..He didn't.

I picture a baby being born with inking on her...No, God is not in favour at all.
Even the children of Israel male and female...had earring..no problem there.

@farouk must have done the dance of joy when he saw this thread...its one of his pet subjects :D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you think that is biblical?
There is nothing biblical about clericalism (clergy vs laity with all the religious titles applied), special clothing for Christian ministry, and definitely not biblical to wear fancy clothing, jewelry etc. FHII mentioned the attire of priests in the Old Covenant. But since the Old Covenant was abolished, everything relating to the tabernacle and temple was also abolished.

At the same time, the modern trend to follow modern fashions and dress casually or super-casually (as though everyone in on a picnic) is also unacceptable. Just as businessmen wear business attire, the Lord's business requires appropriate modest clothing for all.

Christ Himself is our example. He was a plain man dressed in plain clothing. We also read of "the simplicity of Christ" in Scripture.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Keep praying for him! :)

So I don't suppose he or anyone else in the family has ever recommended a tattoo...

I used to like wearing a stick on version of a tattoo which was a hummingbird. I think if I got a real one I would have a poppy.

Reactions: Helen and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I used to like wearing a stick on version of a tattoo which was a hummingbird. I think if I got a real one I would have a poppy.
So you like red as a colour? Even a very small tattoo can be bright.

I guess you've thought a bit about preferred placements.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are some really odd church set-ups around...

I would dress for church the same way as I dress the rest of the time; decently and attractively. I don't have clothes for special occasions - just clothes.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So you like red as a colour? Even a very small tattoo can be bright.

I guess you've thought a bit about preferred placements.
As this is all hypothetical it would be on my upper arm. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The oriental emblem on my arm faded quickly and was not successful. A tattoo really needs good planning, doesn't it?
Can't say I've ever thought about it.