Gardening, Homesteading, Off-grid, etc

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting homestead channel with some wildlife education. He is a Christian, but as far as the booklet he has written on End Times, I have not read it.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one is a bit humorous, but also educational.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is something I enjoy a lot, watching other people's journeys related to homesteading and off-grid living. I watch for entertainment, as well as to learn from them how it's done. :)

I figured I'd share some videos from the YT channels I regularly watch.
I would LOVE to live off the grid, that is awesome!

Reactions: TLHKAJ and farouk

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would LOVE to live off the grid, that is awesome!
I like my electricity just fine...
From turning on a light to blower motors for heat/ac and ovens and refrigeration.

Living off the grid?
No thanks...

I'm not opposed to farming and animal husbandry...just need my grid services.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like my electricity just fine...
From turning on a light to blower motors for heat/ac and ovens and refrigeration.

Living off the grid?
No thanks...

I'm not opposed to farming and animal husbandry...just need my grid services.

Lol...city boy are ya? The older I get, the more I want to move from where I am. I will be putting my house up for sale in the Spring and am praying that God will open doors for me to get out of this VERY loud city. I love the country, the peace, the animals, His beauty and PEACE! Not pulling myself away from the places I go to, 2 pantrys and a soup kitchen and Tuesday mornings, meals on wheels. So, it won't be THAT far off the grid...and yes, I also like my electric, frigerator and such and DO plan on having them in my house, lol.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In some countries there's not 24 hour electricity in all areas....
Other than North Korea and China exactly where do you think that this happens?

Former Soviet Block countries have stable power grids... been there and checked that.
Both Central and South America have stable grids... seen that too. Only heard about Egypt and the middle east...but apparently it's stable as well.
They don't use a lot...but just about every household has one 30 amp service that will run a satellite television.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Other than North Korea and China exactly where do you think that this happens?

Former Soviet Block countries have stable power grids... been there and checked that.
Both Central and South America have stable grids... seen that too. Only heard about Egypt and the middle east...but apparently it's stable as well.
They don't use a lot...but just about every household has one 30 amp service that will run a satellite television.
Some countries in Africa.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol...city boy are ya? The older I get, the more I want to move from where I am. I will be putting my house up for sale in the Spring and am praying that God will open doors for me to get out of this VERY loud city. I love the country, the peace, the animals, His beauty and PEACE! Not pulling myself away from the places I go to, 2 pantrys and a soup kitchen and Tuesday mornings, meals on wheels. So, it won't be THAT far off the grid...and yes, I also like my electric, frigerator and such and DO plan on having them in my house, lol.

I used to live in rural Idaho...I know all about the quiet life.
I just happen to like a blend of the two.
The peace and quiet at times and then large parties and get togethers with friends...
And I like the conveniences that city life has to offer. (Fast food and grocery and other items)

I wouldn't mind having a farm to raise some fruits for jams and jellies...and a couple of hogs for trash and slaughtering. Lots of work though.

Reactions: Nancy

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sir, I really would prefer not to argue with you. Blessings.
Well,
I happen to have a non-profit organization that does Electrical work out n international settings. (Yes, I've done Electrical work everywhere including places that are very scary)
I am an industrial/commercial professional Electrician.
And my most recent place I was heading to (China towards the Burmese border) got shut down due to Christian persecution. (Everyone got arrested and thrown in jail)

And I currently don't have anywhere to go focus my trade.

Now I have heard about some places in Ghana and Ivory Coast that run off of generators for an entire village...but these are very rural areas...there's what they call a road but you and I would call them game trails. They might turn them off or run out of diesel...but then again if they really wanted to have regular jobs etc they would live somewhere else. (They don't) They too idealize the rural lifestyle. But we have places here in the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains that are exactly the same way. If they wanted electricity they would have it.

Electrical grids don't just turn on and off...it takes days to "turn on" a generating facility and days to turn it off without blowing the place up.
Transmission lines go down, distribution lines go down...but no one turns off and on the power generating facilities.
The generating facilities are all interconnected for stability. The power from one supplies the working power for another. Synchronizing the AC waves from each plant with the others.
In case of catastrophe there's plans for a Black Start here in the US. Everywhere in the world there's a power grid they have a similar plan. There's no "turning off for a while".

So...that's what I'm asking questions about.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well,
I happen to have a non-profit organization that does Electrical work out n international settings. (Yes, I've done Electrical work everywhere including places that are very scary)
I am an industrial/commercial professional Electrician.
And my most recent place I was heading to (China towards the Burmese border) got shut down due to Christian persecution. (Everyone got arrested and thrown in jail)

And I currently don't have anywhere to go focus my trade.

Now I have heard about some places in Ghana and Ivory Coast that run off of generators for an entire village...but these are very rural areas...there's what they call a road but you and I would call them game trails. They might turn them off or run out of diesel...but then again if they really wanted to have regular jobs etc they would live somewhere else. (They don't) They too idealize the rural lifestyle. But we have places here in the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains that are exactly the same way. If they wanted electricity they would have it.

Electrical grids don't just turn on and off...it takes days to "turn on" a generating facility and days to turn it off without blowing the place up.
Transmission lines go down, distribution lines go down...but no one turns off and on the power generating facilities.
The generating facilities are all interconnected for stability. The power from one supplies the working power for another. Synchronizing the AC waves from each plant with the others.
In case of catastrophe there's plans for a Black Start here in the US. Everywhere in the world there's a power grid they have a similar plan. There's no "turning off for a while".

So...that's what I'm asking questions about.
Okay, fine, blessings. You know a lot more about it than me.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to live in rural Idaho...I know all about the quiet life.
I just happen to like a blend of the two.
The peace and quiet at times and then large parties and get togethers with friends...
And I like the conveniences that city life has to offer. (Fast food and grocery and other items)

I wouldn't mind having a farm to raise some fruits for jams and jellies...and a couple of hogs for trash and slaughtering. Lots of work though.

A blend is good, and necessary sometimes. Where I want to live will be near all the highways and byways so as to get to the city quickly. I lived most all of my adult life in the city and, it draws no desire for me anymore. I used to love it but then, that was when I was not walking with Christ, and did the partying and the bars like all the others. Get togethers are awesome and will continue to hold them and attend them.
Ahh, yes a farm...and yes, a lot of work for sure!

Reactions: TLHKAJ and JohnDB