Gardening, Homesteading, Off-grid, etc

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I'm familiar with how huge pyrenees dogs are. Lol

We had a Pyrenees/Hound mix and he still was about 125+lbs. He was beautiful. People thought he was a giant collie. lol

We now have an Anatolian Pyrenees. He's at least 150lbs. In fact, I'm a bit banged up after rounding him up day before yesterday. He wanted to run and I had ahold of his collar. I went down on my stomach pretty much ....pulled muscles, shoulder, wrist, back ....thankfully, after a couple days I'm mainly dealing with pulled muscles. lol

Thankfully, I have a secret weapon to getting him to calm down. He loves scratches around his ears. It puts him down on the ground like a big old baby! lol

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's awesome, @Heart2Soul. Did y'all have to buy a lot of feed for your animals?
The reason I'm so interested in the info in the video above (and the rest in that series) is that they have gone a long ways to finding ways of feeding their animals off what they produce on the farm. So they have to purchase a lot less hay or feed for their animals.
The money we made from the sheep wool would cover the cost of feed we bought for all the animals.
Our pecans covered the cost of seeds for the garden and fertilizer as well...we also sold eggs...
But the big money came from the sale of the calves and Pigs at.the sale barn.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We had a Pyrenees/Hound mix and he still was about 125+lbs. He was beautiful. People thought he was a giant collie. lol

We now have an Anatolian Pyrenees. He's at least 150lbs. In fact, I'm a bit banged up after rounding him up day before yesterday. He wanted to run and I had ahold of his collar. I went down on my belly pretty much ....pulled muscles, shoulder, wrist, back ....thankfully, after a couple days I'm mainly dealing with pulled muscles. lol

Thankfully, I have a secret weapon to getting him to calm down. He loves scratches around his ears. It puts him down on the ground like a big old baby! lol
Oh mercy...have you recovered?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh mercy...have you recovered?
I heard some things pop ...wrist, back, and idk what else. I was very achy for a day and a half and had my right arm in a sling. Using my hand was painful. Neck pain, headache. But I used a lot of ice packs and moist heat ....and red light therapy. I noticed a significant improvement after the red light therapy. I was having trouble with my right shoulder/arm/hand prior to the fall and it just aggravated it. We'll see what's what when I get back to my chiropractor. lol
But I think I'm at least 50-60% recovered.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is him from a distance after I sheared most of his fur down. He looked kinda pathetic. lol
I had to have him leashed and my son and husband helping keep him still because he didn't like the sound of the shears. He started to enjoy it more once it was more about brushing. He's about 5 yrs old. Still a big old puppy who loves to play!
IMG_20210801_154014837.jpg

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is him from a distance after I sheared most of his fur down. He looked kinda pathetic. lol
I had to have him leashed and my son and husband helping keep him still because he didn't like the sound of the shears. He started to enjoy it more once it was more about brushing. He's about 5 yrs old. Still a big old puppy who loves to play!
View attachment 19035
Oh I bet he loves you to the moon and back for that!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gardening, Homesteading, Off-grid, etc
OP ^

@TLHKAJ and others interested in an Extreme off-grid chronicle of one man,
DVD’s for sale, and you-tube viewing available. Very interesting.

Richard “Dick” Proeneke ... beginning at age 51 chronicled his life for next 30 years, alone in the wilderness.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I bet he loves you to the moon and back for that!
He's a big old baby (puppy) who still loves to run and play. lol
I spent some time outside with him today ....he's such a goofball. Sometimes he'll be tossing around his metal bowls and barking at them. Sounds like someone banging pots and pans. Then I have to taken them away. Lol

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really enjoy watching this channel .....very relaxing, and lots to glean.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 19035

Beautiful dog. :)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We now have an Anatolian Pyrenees. He's at least 150lbs. In fact, I'm a bit banged up after rounding him up day before yesterday. He wanted to run and I had ahold of his collar. I went down on my stomach pretty much ....pulled muscles, shoulder, wrist, back ....thankfully, after a couple days I'm mainly dealing with pulled muscles. lol

We have a pit, dropped off near our woods, about 5 years ago and guess his age about 6 now. No cropped ears or tail. So sweet and scheduled/routined. Kind of weird to the hour I know what he wants or expects. He is given food first and then treats at “supper” time 5:00. If I set his food and treats out at 3:00 for example, he looks, sniffs, walks on by, until about 5:00. On stormy rainy days, when it is “time” to run, or walk the trails in the woods, he sits by the door, I open the door, he sticks his nose out, looks at me, as if to say...
“Make it stop raining” or “get your umbrella and my drying towel and let’s go out”...If storming, thunder clapping, he goes and gets a toy to play chase inside. If regular rain, he eyes the umbrella, then me, back and forth, waiting to see if I reach for the umbrella. If I do, he dash’s outside, and does what I call his “spring dance”, all four standing still to 4 feet off the ground.
Dogs can be such awesome pets. I just do not get animal (of any kind) owners that pen and restrain animals daily with scant or no needs or attention. Disturbing and sad, and common.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We have a pit, dropped off near our woods, about 5 years ago and guess his age about 6 now. No cropped ears or tail. So sweet and scheduled/routined. Kind of weird to the hour I know what he wants or expects. He is given food first and then treats at “supper” time 5:00. If I set his food and treats out at 3:00 for example, he looks, sniffs, walks on by, until about 5:00. On stormy rainy days, when it is “time” to run, or walk the trails in the woods, he sits by the door, I open the door, he sticks his nose out, looks at me, as if to say...
“Make it stop raining” or “get your umbrella and my drying towel and let’s go out”...If storming, thunder clapping, he goes and gets a toy to play chase inside. If regular rain, he eyes the umbrella, then me, back and forth, waiting to see if I reach for the umbrella. If I do, he dash’s outside, and does what I call his “spring dance”, all four standing still to 4 feet off the ground.
Dogs can be such awesome pets. I just do not get animal (of any kind) owners that pen and restrain animals daily with scant or no needs or attention. Disturbing and sad, and common.
@Taken Sounds like you know quite a bit about animals (I myself am not into animals at all.....)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken Sounds like you know quite a bit about animals (I myself am not into animals at all.....)

Still learning! Watching. Observing. See what works. See what doesn’t.

Animals seem by nature routined. They can deviate somewhat from a precise “time” schedule, but remain routined.
Since our animals are within boundaries we have set, we have to make sure, their “natural routine” (if they had no boundaries), can still be accomplished.
They all have acres, open, trees, toys, things to climb on, access to covered buildings, water, food, companions, grooming, attention, etc.
They can not get out, but deer, possums, coons, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, moles, mice, Amarillo’s, birds can get in, so they still get some concept of the natural wild experience.
IF their “routine” is not accomplished, you can tell by their behavior, sad, depressed, (whatever word fits). Interesting to me.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Still learning! Watching. Observing. See what works. See what doesn’t.

Animals seem by nature routined. They can deviate somewhat from a precise “time” schedule, but remain routined.
Since our animals are within boundaries we have set, we have to make sure, their “natural routine” (if they had no boundaries), can still be accomplished.
They all have acres, open, trees, toys, things to climb on, access to covered buildings, water, food, companions, grooming, attention, etc.
They can not get out, but deer, possums, coons, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, moles, mice, Amarillo’s, birds can get in, so they still get some concept of the natural wild experience.
IF their “routine” is not accomplished, you can tell by their behavior, sad, depressed, (whatever word fits). Interesting to me.
Sounds like you've learned a lot about their routines, anyway...

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like you've learned a lot about their routines, anyway...

We speak completely different languages, but understand each other’s speech perfectly.
Dogs are smart. I use words, sign language, body posture, a look, and he appropriately responds.
Our dog for example; uses sounds, different barks, different whimpering, sighs, looks, gestures, body posture, head posture, ear posture, and I know what he is saying.
Sort of like communicating with a toddler, but without the tantrum. Lol

Reactions: farouk