Gardening, Homesteading, Off-grid, etc

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been so busy lately I haven't had time for any more research on this...

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey I was just wondering if anybody here lived kinda off gridish...you know, unplugging from the system and such.

Thanks !

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey I was just wondering if anybody here lived kinda off gridish...you know, unplugging from the system and such.

Thanks !
Had a friend on Homestead Rescue....does that count?
Have you ever seen the miniature homes that can be hauled? There are people around here that set them up as homes and hunting lodges. Solar panels big enough to run small refrigerators.

Miniture house 2.JPG

Reactions: TLHKAJ

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey @TLHKAJ

I saw this thread pop up today and just commented on another thread. Mushrooms related.

Was wondering if you ever tried that thing where you crumble up mushrooms and stick them in coffee, and after a month the mushrooms are supposed to regrow.

I know growing mushrooms tend to smell bad, so I'm afraid to try it.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This may be really important information for those who want to and have the means to move toward food independence.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is something I enjoy a lot, watching other people's journeys related to homesteading and off-grid living. I watch for entertainment, as well as to learn from them how it's done. :)

I figured I'd share some videos from the YT channels I regularly watch.
I grew up on a farm...just like Old McDonald's farm...
Got our eggs from the chickens...and every Sunday we ate fried chicken...(which I had to pretend I didn't just watch my mom wring its neck and then the headless body would flop around for 5 or so minutes)...
Milk from the cows...we had one butchered twice a year...(I guess that makes 2 a year)
Pigs...ate a lot of pork...and how they slaughtered them was horrible to me.
Grew vegetables of every kind...
Even potatoes...
Fished out of the Arkansas River that ran along our property line...then we had a catfish fry once a month and invite friends and relatives...
Had a wood burning stove for heat so the guys would start cutting trees in late October and stockpile wood logs.
We had a bunch of pecan trees and in the fall would gather them all up...sell most of them and keep some for cooking.
Had a few apple trees and one peach tree.
In the summer we bailed hay and picked cotton...yuk.
Had a bunch of sheep and would sheer them and take the wool to the grain mill and sell it.
Had rabbits as well...occasionally we even ate squirrel and raccoon...greasy...
Yep I know what that living off the land is all about...:)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up on a farm...just like Old McDonald's farm...
Got our eggs from the chickens...and every Sunday we ate fried chicken...(which I had to pretend I didn't just watch my mom wring its neck and then the headless body would flop around for 5 or so minutes)...
Milk from the cows...we had one butchered twice a year...(I guess that makes 2 a year)
Pigs...ate a lot of pork...and how they slaughtered them was horrible to me.
Grew vegetables of every kind...
Even potatoes...
Fished out of the Arkansas River that ran along our property line...then we had a catfish fry once a month and invite friends and relatives...
Had a wood burning stove for heat so the guys would start cutting trees in late October and stockpile wood logs.
We had a bunch of pecan trees and in the fall would gather them all up...sell most of them and keep some for cooking.
Had a few apple trees and one peach tree.
In the summer we bailed hay and picked cotton...yuk.
Had a bunch of sheep and would sheer them and take the wool to the grain mill and sell it.
Had rabbits as well...occasionally we even ate squirrel and raccoon...greasy...
Yep I know what that living off the land is all about...:)
That's awesome, @Heart2Soul. Did y'all have to buy a lot of feed for your animals?
The reason I'm so interested in the info in the video above (and the rest in that series) is that they have gone a long ways to finding ways of feeding their animals off what they produce on the farm. So they have to purchase a lot less hay or feed for their animals.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's awesome, @Heart2Soul. Did y'all have to buy a lot of feed for your animals?
The reason I'm so interested in the info in the video above (and the rest in that series) is that they have gone a long ways to finding ways of feeding their animals off what they produce on the farm. So they have to purchase a lot less hay or feed for their animals.
Yes but honestly, the dogs cost us more in food than the livestock. We had 4 Great Pyrenees (to protect the sheep) and they get very big....the rest of the livestock wasn't a lot...most of what we had ate grass.