Gifts Of The Spirit Are NOT Proof That You Have The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Amos Ministries
To whom is it necessary to prove that we have the Holy Spirit?
so Elijah calling down fire and Jesus walking on water are not signs of the power of the Most High?
When Jesus sent his followers out 2 by 2 they cast out demons raised the dead healed the sick yet the Holy Spirit had not come yet. And Judas was included in this group doing these signs.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Jesus said many will say to me did I not do many miracles in your name and cast out demons yet I will say depart from me you who practice iniquity. So these signs of tongues and healing etc mean nothing. We must make sure we do it practice iniquity.

since you were born, how many have you seen walk on water? zero on my end.
however correct scripture interpretation i see every day. anyone can claim correct interpretation, the pharisees did this everyday just as modern day politicians do it when they lie to the masses.

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good question. Only God, Christ, and the believer know who has received THE GIFT of the Holy Spirit. And all those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive the Holy Spirit as a GIFT from God (Acts 2:38).

Why is salvation (eternal life) a free gift? (Rom 6:23) Because the Lord Jesus Christ paid the full price for this gift, and purchased the Church with His own blood. The blood of God (Acts 20:28). The parable of the Pearl of Great Price illustrates this truth.

But to be completely repentant you must throw away as garbage Paul states your former thought ways, your culture and traditions, your parents philosophies your employers priorities your children’s standards of a good parent , everything and only follow Jesus ways and teachings.

Reactions: Enoch111

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
When Jesus sent his followers out 2 by 2 they cast out demons raised the dead healed the sick yet the Holy Spirit had not come yet. And Judas was included in this group doing these signs.
if the spirit didnt exist until after Jesus how did Elijah do that stuff?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Amos Ministries Any man who calls himself pastor, prophet, minister of even father, is the last man i would ever listen to, if its your ministry its not His. That flattering title thingy, i have a ministry so you must listen gives me cause to rather not.

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
since you were born, how many have you seen walk on water? zero on my end.
however correct scripture interpretation i see every day. anyone can claim correct interpretation, the pharisees did this everyday just as modern day politicians do it when they lie to the masses.
No I have yet to hear correct interpretations in the church. For example Luke 14:33 so none of you can be my discipline unless he gives up all his own possessions.

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
if the spirit didnt exist until after Jesus how did Elijah do that stuff?
The Holy Spirit in its fullness as in dwelling in people did not come until after Jesus was glorified. John 7:39 New International Version
By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Holy Spirit in its fullness as in dwelling in people did not come until after Jesus was glorified. John 7:39 New International Version
By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.
Actually he did, at Christ baptism, He was the first to receive Him.

Luk_3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Reactions: pompadour
Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Amos Ministries Any man who calls himself pastor, prophet, minister of even father, is the last man i would ever listen to, if its your ministry its not His. That flattering title thingy, i have a ministry so you must listen gives me cause to rather not.
1 Peter 5:5
New King James Version
Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of yoube submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually he did, at Christ baptism, He was the first to receive Him.

Luk_3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
Lol of course Jesus had the Holy Spirit but no one else.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Peter 5:5
New King James Version
Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of yoube submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”
Like I said, men give themselves tiltles than demand we listen gives us cause to not.

Reactions: pompadour
Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like I said, men give themselves tiltles than demand we listen gives us cause to not.
I agree many pastors maybe most donor speak the truth and we must discern the truth for ourselves not by being blind believers of the pastor we must use the berean method.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree many pastors maybe most donor speak the truth and we must discern the truth for ourselves not by being blind believers of the pastor we must use the berean method.
No, we just trust Jesus and the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Paul encourages us to excel in gifts that build up the church.
Hi Amos Ministries,
As you have it, the purpose of the gifts of the Spirit in their manifestation is not to prove something about ourselves as individuals but to be helpful in promoting the spiritual growth of the whole body of Christ.
Spiritual Gifts
…6There are different ways of working, but the same God works all things in all people. 7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
Berean Study Bible

On a number of occasions I have observed a gift of the Spirit operating through otherwise spiritually blind and unrepentant sinners, but edification of the body of Christ has resulted.

1Co 1:25-29 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. (26) For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. (27) But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; (28) and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, (29) that no flesh should glory in His presence.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
No I have yet to hear correct interpretations in the church. For example Luke 14:33 so none of you can be my discipline unless he gives up all his own possessions.

makes no difference what you hear, people that folow this logic can say they are the final authority. its a can of worms.

edit just trying to explain this a bit further. if interpertating scripture is a sign of the spirit, the problem you have with this is you might have 3 churches reading the same scripture 3 different conflicting ways and they all claim they are correct.
this is why this logic does not hold water.
the spirit IMO is not sent to be used a a tool to wield power over others, "my way is right because i have the spirit!" this is just want the church did in the middle ages when they burned people alive.

Last edited:

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016

thats great!
so back to the question, did you have an answer or you just gonna stick to the distraction attempt?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the power of the most High may be seen throughout the scriptures, both OT and NT. Different gifts were perhaps available in the NT, but God, who has never changed, remained the same!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
340396_574975d7a32719c4c230f4396819ca25.png

Regardless of the gift you have, according to the Bible, a spiritual gift is not proof that you have received the Holy Spirit. To determine whether or not you have the Holy Spirit, you must adhere to a certain set of beliefs which are the teachings of Jesus without compromising or manipulating them.

The gift of prophecy is the gift you should eagerly pursue, but this gift can put you in opposition with the established church and denomination (as it was with every prophet in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament with Jesus and the Apostles). The church also understands that if you haven’t developed any spiritual gifts as a result of their teachings, you may doubt the authenticity of their doctrinal teachings and find another church or change denominations. And so, the Pentecostal church pushes speaking in tongues as irrefutable proof of the Holy Spirit.

The Apostle Paul himself states that speaking in tongues is the least of all the gifts and that we should desire the greater gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:28 – And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:31 – Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

This is because the purpose of speaking in tongues does not usually benefit the people around, as it is more of a personal edification. Unless there is someone around who can interpret (which is rare precisely due to inauthentic tongues speakers), those around you who hear, cannot grasp what you are saying and you both become foreigners to each other. For these reasons, Paul encourages us to excel in gifts that build up the church.
Every person who is genuinely converted to Christ has the Holy Spirit and therefore has the potential to manifest any of the spiritual gifts. The examples in Acts show clearly that conversion and filling of the Holy Spirit are one and the same.

Anyone can give prophecies, speak in tongues, give words of knowledge from the flesh. None of the "prophecies to the nation" given by self-appointed "prophets" is of the flesh and not of the Spirit, because that role passed into history after John the Baptizer. Anyone can dream up stuff and say it is the Lord speaking, but in fact it is taking the Lord's name in vain. Most of the public uncontrolled tongues without interpretation is of the flesh because it is not in accordance with Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 14. False "words of knowledge" are basically on the same level as what Psychics do, and can not only be in the flesh but can go into New Age occult divination. In fact, false personal prophecies giving indications of wealth and fame contain spirits of divination which can attack a person in the spirit and body and the "victim" may need deliverance to get freedom from the effects of it.

A person genuinely filled with the Spirit shows the fruit of the Spirit as listed in Galatians 5. This is the foundation of having the assurance that a genuinely Spirit-filled person is living and walking in the Spirit and therefore when any spiritual gift is manifested, it is correct and genuine, and points others to Christ.

Reactions: mjrhealth