Gifts Of The Spirit Are NOT Proof That You Have The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
340396_574975d7a32719c4c230f4396819ca25.png

Regardless of the gift you have, according to the Bible, a spiritual gift is not proof that you have received the Holy Spirit. To determine whether or not you have the Holy Spirit, you must adhere to a certain set of beliefs which are the teachings of Jesus without compromising or manipulating them.

The gift of prophecy is the gift you should eagerly pursue, but this gift can put you in opposition with the established church and denomination (as it was with every prophet in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament with Jesus and the Apostles). The church also understands that if you haven’t developed any spiritual gifts as a result of their teachings, you may doubt the authenticity of their doctrinal teachings and find another church or change denominations. And so, the Pentecostal church pushes speaking in tongues as irrefutable proof of the Holy Spirit.

The Apostle Paul himself states that speaking in tongues is the least of all the gifts and that we should desire the greater gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:28 – And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:31 – Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

This is because the purpose of speaking in tongues does not usually benefit the people around, as it is more of a personal edification. Unless there is someone around who can interpret (which is rare precisely due to inauthentic tongues speakers), those around you who hear, cannot grasp what you are saying and you both become foreigners to each other. For these reasons, Paul encourages us to excel in gifts that build up the church.

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regardless of the gift you have, according to the Bible, a spiritual gift is not proof that you have received the Holy Spirit. To determine whether or not you have the Holy Spirit, you must adhere to a certain set of beliefs which are the teachings of Jesus without compromising or manipulating them.

Greetings, and welcome to the forum. I would agree with the first statement, but not the second. Just as a counterfeit spirit can imitate true tongues, so too can a counterfeit spirit adhere to a certain {proper} set of beliefs, and yet slip in heresy to create a false "Christian" system that leads people astray.

Likewise, prophecy can be spoken through demonic spirits as well, so seeking the greater gifts wouldn't necessarily fix things either. I think the gift of discerning of spirits is the real key when dealing with the issue you are addressing above.

God bless, and welcome once again.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016

The gift of prophecy is the gift you should eagerly pursue, but this gift can put you in opposition with the established church and denomination (as it was with every prophet in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament with Jesus and the Apostles). The church also understands that if you haven’t developed any spiritual gifts as a result of their teachings, you may doubt the authenticity of their doctrinal teachings and find another church or change denominations. And so, the Pentecostal church pushes speaking in tongues as irrefutable proof of the Holy Spirit.

The Apostle Paul himself states that speaking in tongues is the least of all the gifts and that we should desire the greater gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:28 – And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:31 – Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

This is because the purpose of speaking in tongues does not usually benefit the people around, as it is more of a personal edification. Unless there is someone around who can interpret (which is rare precisely due to inauthentic tongues speakers), those around you who hear, cannot grasp what you are saying and you both become foreigners to each other. For these reasons, Paul encourages us to excel in gifts that build up the church.

so what is proof that you have the spirit?

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
@Amos Ministries
To whom is it necessary to prove that we have the Holy Spirit?

right on Mozart! i mean Amadeus.
if your going around desiring the spirit to prove yourself before other men, you probably will never get it. i think this is the same mistake Simon Mages made when trying to buy it. your relationship with the Lord should be between you and the Lord, like Jesus taught, pray in secret, not on the corner for everyone to hear you.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if your going around desiring the spirit to prove yourself before other men, you probably will never get it. i think this is the same mistake Simon Mages made when trying to buy it. your relationship with the Lord should be between you and the Lord, like Jesus taught, pray in secret, not on the corner for everyone to hear you.

correct-a-mondo, even Jesus teaches that one should seek the Father's approval and not the approval of men. and if it be the Lord's pleasure He will show His association with you, as He did with most who walked with Him.

Reactions: Pearl and amadeus
Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
correct-a-mondo, even Jesus teaches that one should seek the Father's approval and not the approval of men. and if it be the Lord's pleasure He will show His association with you, as He did with most who walked with Him.
You need to prove to yourself that you have the Holy Spirit to make sure your not taking the kingdom by violence meaning just forcefully claiming to have the Holy Spirit through following your own compromised ways.

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Yes but you need to examine yourself to make sure you are indeed of the faith and have the Holy Spirit or you might just be fooling yourself.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
right on brother

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so what is proof that you have the spirit?

That your interpretation of the scriptures and standard of right and wrong are completely aligned with the teachings of Jesus with no compromise manipulation and then to live by it. You shall know them by there fruits there actions and the fruit of there lips meaning the philosophies they live by.

Reactions: Mayflower

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Yes but you need to examine yourself to make sure you are indeed of the faith and have the Holy Spirit or you might just be fooling yourself.
but how do you know if you have the spirit? i presented this question and it was ignored.
i think we agree the the majority of tongues today, the babbling stuff that anyone can mimic, is not a real gift. but if i get sent to russia to teach and all of a sudden i can speak russian, a language i have never spoke before, a tongue, i would call that the power of the spirit.
the power of the spirit is not IMO something one proclaims, its an action one does.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
That your interpretation of the scriptures and standard of right and wrong are completely aligned with the teachings of Jesus with no compromise manipulation and then to live by it. You shall know them by there fruits there actions and the fruit of there lips meaning the philosophies they live by.

so Elijah calling down fire and Jesus walking on water are not signs of the power of the Most High?

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Greetings, and welcome to the forum. I would agree with the first statement, but not the second. Just as a counterfeit spirit can imitate true tongues, so too can a counterfeit spirit adhere to a certain {proper} set of beliefs, and yet slip in heresy to create a false "Christian" system that leads people astray.

Likewise, prophecy can be spoken through demonic spirits as well, so seeking the greater gifts wouldn't necessarily fix things either. I think the gift of discerning of spirits is the real key when dealing with the issue you are addressing above.

God bless, and welcome once again.
no an unclean spirit cannot and will not follow the teachings of Jesus without compromise or manipulation it must do these things to suit itself.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Amos Ministries
To whom is it necessary to prove that we have the Holy Spirit?
Good question. Only God, Christ, and the believer know who has received THE GIFT of the Holy Spirit. And all those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ receive the Holy Spirit as a GIFT from God (Acts 2:38).

Why is salvation (eternal life) a free gift? (Rom 6:23) Because the Lord Jesus Christ paid the full price for this gift, and purchased the Church with His own blood. The blood of God (Acts 20:28). The parable of the Pearl of Great Price illustrates this truth.

Dec 28, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but how do you know if you have the spirit? i presented this question and it was ignored.
i think we agree the the majority of tongues today, the babbling stuff that anyone can mimic, is not a real gift. but if i get sent to russia to teach and all of a sudden i can speak russian, a language i have never spoke before, a tongue, i would call that the power of the spirit.
the power of the spirit is not IMO something one proclaims, its an action one does.

Jesus said many will say to me did I not do many miracles in your name and cast out demons yet I will say depart from me you who practice iniquity. So these signs of tongues and healing etc mean nothing. We must make sure we do it practice iniquity.