GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The young woman I mentioned has a controlling personality, feels that she was rejected by her mother who walked out when she was a child and has fairly recently been to consult clairvoyants. She is my son's ex and he left because he couldn't stand being controlled and manipulated but there is a small child involved and she is now using the child as a weapon to get at the father. She is not a believer. Please pray for her if you feel led, she's called Rachel. It's spiritual warfare.
I can tell you that she does not have a Jezebel Spirit. Jezebel's main purpose in the Bible was to destroy the prophets and she used her own false prophets to deceive the church and those who listened to her. A Jezebel Spirit is a religious spirit but not of God. It is one of the most cunning and wisest of Satan's demons.
Your daughter in law is more likely influenced by a spirit of anger and a spirit of rebellion.
Both of these are manifested in ways such as control and manipulation.
If you want more information you can PM me.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are nine gifts of the Spirit, or in Greek terms nine charismas where we get the word charismatic. Those of you that are secessionists need not read this as you will disagree with everything I will say.

These nine charismas are listed in 1 Corinthians 12. There are other gifts and ministries that are not included in this chapter, such as Ephesians 4:11. These gifts were the province of the ascended Christ to give. It is important to note these are gifts/ministries, not positions.

I will list the nine and then make a few points for clarification.

1. Words of wisdom
2. The gift of knowledge
3. The gift of faith
4. The gift of healing
5. The working of miracles
6. The gift of prophecy
7. The ability to distinguish between spirits (discernment)
8. Various kinds of tongues
9. The interpretation of tongues

It is important to note that the original Greek tells us that they are spirituals. The word gift is not in the original. The word spirituals mean supernatural so we are not talking about making the coffee after the meeting.

The reason the Holy Spirit gives these nine charismas is for the common good. In other words for the benefit of the body of Christ, not for the individual who is operating in the charisma.

Every one of them is inspired by the Holy Spirit and he is the one that decides who will use what gift. We, regardless of our rank or position have no control over their uses and by whom.

The Spirit can use the lowliest people if he chooses to be used and to use any of these nine charismas.

I have been asked if a person can have more than one of the gifts? The answer is simple. That is up to the Holy Spirit to decide. They can if the Spirit so decides. They can't if the Spirit so decides.

They are given at the will of the Spirit so it is important to be ready at any time to be available for the Holy Spirit to work through you and manifest any one of the nine gifts.

That will do for now. I will come back to it for more unraveling of the subject.
Thank you for this thread. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit is a subject that needs to be taught more often!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife speaks in tongues. I've rarely heard her, it's her prayer languague.

Much love!
Praying in tongues is different than the Gift of tongues. When we pray and allow the Holy Spirit to pray for us with groans and utterances then we are allowing Him to pray what we don't know to pray.
Gift of tongues is used expressly in a fellowship of believers whether in a church setting or a bible group or whatever as long as there is an interpreter then it is a message from the Holy Spiri to the body of believers to receive corporately edifying and exhorting them.

Reactions: Pearl

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Miracles, signs, wonders, and mighty deeds are called "the signs of an apostle". That IMPLIES that they were temporary. Why do Christians always want EXPLICIT statements about everything? There are no miracle workers within Christian churches today. If you know of any, tell us exactly what they have done with specific details.
Never does it say to quit raising up disciples to become apostles. Apostle means:
Definition of APOSTLE
Apostles carry the message of Jesus Christ where they are lead.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marksman,

I'd add from Romans 12:

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

1. Words of wisdom
2. The gift of knowledge
3. The gift of faith
4. The gift of healing
5. The working of miracles
6. The gift of prophecy
7. The ability to distinguish between spirits (discernment)
8. Various kinds of tongues
9. The interpretation of tongues
10. Gift of Serving
11. Gift of Teaching
12. Gift of Encouragement
13. Gift of Leading
14. Gift of Showing Mercy

Are we on the same page?

Much love!
There is a difference between a calling and a gift of the Holy Spirit...Gifts of the Holy Spirit are supernatural manifestations of His power through His chosen vessels.
Some of the things you list here are callings not gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.

to the OP, good topic. and many of the posters are on target. but may we say this just for starters, consider the very first gift on the list. 1 Corinthians 12:8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit".
not saying any are right or wrong, but consider this. these two gifts are actually one Gift. the word of wisdom, not wisdom her self, but a word of wisdom gives "understanding". and the "word of knowledge". what gift fit this pattern of Knowledge and understanding? let's see. Jeremiah 3:15 "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding".

so the first two gifts are really one gift which is the Pastoral Gift. yes pastoring is a gift and not an office. this is bared out in the same chapter at verse 28. 1 Corinthians 12:28 "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues".

now, God set, or ordained these gifts in the church what are the pastoral gifts. one might say well we don't see pastor in verse 28. well it's there, the apostle is a pastor. let us open your spiritual eyes. Paul was an apostle, right.... right. let's see if he's a pastor. just go to the very next chapter of 1 Corinthians, chapter 13, listen.

1 Corinthians 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1 Corinthians 13:2 "And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing".

here, the apostle said that he had the "Gift" of prophecy, meaning that he's a prophet. the second gift set or ordained in the church. then he said, "and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge". knowledge, and understanding, Jeremiah 3:15 "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding". so the apostle is a PASTOR.

What about the third ordained gift, "Teacher?", according to 1 Corinthians 12:28 . 1 Corinthians 4:17 "For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church". so the apostle Paul was also a prophet, and a teacher in the church, because God "set" or ordaind in his church apostles first, second prophets, and teachers, which are "pastors", that feed the flock of God. no where in his word did he say that they are ceased or done away with.

a posted stated that a person can have more than one gift, TRUE, as we just seen with Paul. this is a good topic which has many truths and eliminate the tradition of men.

a re-read of this post might be nessary for clarity

PICJAG.
I disagree with you that the ministry positions are the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. People are called into ministry like when Jesus called out to the disciples and said "Follow me"....the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is given to us no matter what our position in the church is. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit are available to whomever He has chosen to operate and manifest His power through.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can tell you that she does not have a Jezebel Spirit. Jezebel's main purpose in the Bible was to destroy the prophets and she used her own false prophets to deceive the church and those who listened to her. A Jezebel Spirit is a religious spirit but not of God. It is one of the most cunning and wisest of Satan's demons.
Your daughter in law is more likely influenced by a spirit of anger and a spirit of rebellion.
Both of these are manifested in ways such as control and manipulation.
If you want more information you can PM me.
Thank you.

Reactions: Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.
Your welcome...I will pray for her, I will pray that the Holy Spirit will begin to draw her to Jesus. I will pray for your son that God will give him supernatural favor even with his ex and that she will allow him to be a father to his children.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The young woman I mentioned has a controlling personality, feels that she was rejected by her mother who walked out when she was a child and has fairly recently been to consult clairvoyants. She is my son's ex and he left because he couldn't stand being controlled and manipulated but there is a small child involved and she is now using the child as a weapon to get at the father. She is not a believer. Please pray for her if you feel led, she's called Rachel. It's spiritual warfare.

Thank you for that update

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jezebel was a domineering, controlling female sexual seductress whose brand was sexual immorality, she called herself a prophetess. She was similar to a pagan witch who made offerings to false gods. . She was also known for being controlling & manipulating her weak husband King Ahab. She was unrepentant.
What is the Jezebel spirit?

Jesus spoke of her & condemned her, in his letter to the church of Thyatira btw, he never accused her of being a "religious spirit"
Rev 2:
20But I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads My servants to be sexually immoral and to eat food sacrificed to idols. 21Even though I have given her time to repent of her immorality, she is unwilling.

22Behold, I will cast her onto a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her will suffer great tribulation unless they repent of her deeds. 23Then I will strike her children dead, and all the churches will know that I am the One who searches minds and hearts, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds."

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jezebel was a domineering, controlling female sexual seductress whose brand was sexual immorality, she called herself a prophetess. She was similar to a pagan witch who made offerings to false gods. . She was also known for being controlling & manipulating her weak husband King Ahab. She was unrepentant.

Jesus spoke of her & condemned her, in his letter to the church of Thyatira btw, he never accused her of being a "religious spirit"
Rev 2:
20But I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads My servants to be sexually immoral and to eat food sacrificed to idols. 21Even though I have given her time to repent of her immorality, she is unwilling.

22Behold, I will cast her onto a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her will suffer great tribulation unless they repent of her deeds. 23Then I will strike her children dead, and all the churches will know that I am the One who searches minds and hearts, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds."
A Jezebel Spirit is a religious spirit that is particularly found in churches.
But your full description of Jezebel is correct.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Jezebel Spirit is a religious spirit that is particularly found in churches.
But your full description of Jezebel is correct.
Jesus never referred to Jezebel as a religious spirit though.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say He did.
Never said you said he did.
My point is we should stick with what the Bible says & here what Jesus accused her of rather then declaring that Jezebel is a religious spirit-that imo, is adding to scripture our own view, rather then what the Bible and Jesus explicitly said.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rev 2:

My point is we should stick with what the Bible says & here what Jesus accused her of rather then declaring that Jezebel is a religious spirit-that imo, is adding to scripture our own view, rather then what the Bible and Jesus explicitly said.
Ok, you do know there is another Jezebel in the old testament.
This link is very informative if you want to check it out.
Who Is Jezebel in Revelation 2 verse 20?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it is accepted in addressing a person in the church who has the character of Jezebel...much like saying the antichrist or the spirit of antichrist.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, you do know there is another Jezebel in the old testament.
This link is very informative if you want to check it out.
Who Is Jezebel in Revelation 2 verse 20?

Interesting H2S,
These two Jezebel's in OT and NT - I do believe the OT Jez. was, of course a real woman. I am more convinced that the Jez. of Rev. is a spirit of idolatry, evil and shamelessness. Or simply, a spirit of corruptedness?
"Thyatira was a highly commercialized center of trade. Therefore, it is conceivable the Jezebel of Revelation 2:20 was rich and influential, wielding some power in the local economy. Note what Halley’s Bible Handbook says about this ancient city and this Jezebel:"
Good article. I wonder if the Rev. Jez. is referring to the Church as having been corrupted, in part, in the same way that Jez. wife of King Ahab corrupted. And, since she was rich and had influence...The messenger to the Church of Thyatira, after praising what they had right, listed all the bad characteristics of the OT Jez. So, how can it NOT be a spirit? IMHO - we can name the demons but, they are all of the spirit of Satan.
BTW-I also have Halley's Bible handbook :)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting H2S,
These two Jezebel's in OT and NT - I do believe the OT Jez. was, of course a real woman. I am more convinced that the Jez. of Rev. is a spirit of idolatry, evil and shamelessness. Or simply, a spirit of corruptedness?
"Thyatira was a highly commercialized center of trade. Therefore, it is conceivable the Jezebel of Revelation 2:20 was rich and influential, wielding some power in the local economy. Note what Halley’s Bible Handbook says about this ancient city and this Jezebel:"
Good article. I wonder if the Rev. Jez. is referring to the Church as having been corrupted, in part, in the same way that Jez. wife of King Ahab corrupted. And, since she was rich and had influence...The messenger to the Church of Thyatira, after praising what they had right, listed all the bad characteristics of the OT Jez. So, how can it NOT be a spirit? IMHO - we can name the demons but, they are all of the spirit of Satan.
BTW-I also have Halley's Bible handbook :)
Yes, I do believe it is referring to the church becoming corrupt by allowing this influence to be in the church luring members to partake of her immoral acts.
IMHO...I believe all seven churches addressed in Revelation is to be interpreted in a spiritual sense and how it relates to churches today. Which church represents best our spiritual strengths and weaknesses...in other words...the church you attend today....can you see where it compares to any of the seven?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus described Jezebel and never said she was a religious spirit is what I said.
Jezebel in the NT claims to be a prophetess...and was operating in the church...so it is just a category that she falls in.
List of spirits -
Religious spirits – keeping the Sabbath/tithing/legalism/denying the trinity/Jesus is the Father/Holy Spirit is not God/One God – Jesus, the Father and Holy Spirit are one person/ Jezebels teaching and prophesying/ kundalini experiences
Lester Sumrall describes it very well but most of his stuff is on youtube.