GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please try and avoid opinion especially when you have no proof for it. OP.

I do not believe it is an opinion. He has claimed six gifts of the Holy Spirit with zero proof.

And so many of the things he is already posted denies such a claim.

So I believe my statement was well grounded.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues is the ONLY gift given to everyone
The Bible clearly says no gift is given to every one.

Each part of the body of Christ has a different function and purpose.

No one gift is given to everyone.

1 Corinthians 12 New International Version (NIV)
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Reactions: tzcho2

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are four main manifestations of the gift of tongues and not all of these manifestations are for everybody - i.e. speaking in meeting, interpretation, for the benefit of non-believers - but the gift of tongues for personal edification is available to all who want it. Sadly a lot of people have been put off using tongues in this way because of wrong teaching. We are not free to choose which of the other gifts of the Spirit we are given, that is up to God, but we can choose to use this one which is given to all of us when we are baptised in the Spirit. The gift is given but some people never manage to unwrap it.
Interpretation is a different gift.

All the rest are the singular gift of tongues.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A good question Rita. My experience is that one can be given a gift and have the use of it for a defined period of time because that is the area that the Holy Spirit wants you to minister in so he brings to your attention situations where the gift is needed.

At one stage I was praying for people that had legs that were a different length. I would pray and the short leg would grow. Then I had a period when I was given the gift of discernment which seemed to be as much for my benefit as other people as it meant I had to get to the core of a matter before I prayed for people.

To give you an example. I spoke at a Full Gospel Businessman's Breakfast and when I got to praying for people, the Lord said don't ask them, I will tell you. That is what I did and as I knelt beside the first couple the word 'incest' came to me. I let the wife speak and she didn't use that word and when I prayed for them I prayed for a marriage that was born in sorrow and she burst into tears.

Afterward, when I had the chance to talk to them I said to her "It was incest wasn't it." She said it was.

Sometimes God moves us on because we get familiar with the gift and it becomes too easy for us so we step up by using another gift.

I like that. And agree totally.
Even with the gifts it is for sure , "times and seasons".
Maybe God just exercises us in different ways at different times.
And we learn to listen to that 'still small whisper' from within, and yield to it.

Then the gifts lay seemingly dormant for a while...but at any given time...in time of someones need God just stirs up what is already there and the "rod of Moses" is in our hand once again..

Reactions: marksman

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is what you call close minded.

You have been indoctrinated.

And so often your posts 'ring' of nothing...no life, no blessing, no light..

I find just as much inspiration in reading Lewis Carol -

“The time has come," the Walrus said,
“To talk of many things:
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings.”

========
Alice in Wonderland.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like that. And agree totally.
Even with the gifts it is for sure , "times and seasons".
Maybe God just exercises us in different ways at different times.
And we learn to listen to that 'still small whisper' from within, and yield to it.

Then the gifts lay seemingly dormant for a while...but at any given time...in time of someones need God just stirs up what is already there and the "rod of Moses" is in our hand once again..
I believe that apart from the gift of speaking in other tongues for our personal use the other gifts are given specifically. i.e. Somebody may be given the specific gift of knowledge or discernment. But I also think that from time to time we may all have a word of knowledge for somebody, or discern a bad spirit. Also the five ministries listed in scripture are specifically allotted to certain people but that doesn't mean that the rest of us can't teach, give pastoral care, or evangelise, prophesy or even preach occasionally, it just means it is not our specific calling.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so often your posts 'ring' of nothing...no life, no blessing, no light..

I find just as much inspiration in reading Lewis Carol -

“The time has come," the Walrus said,
“To talk of many things:
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings.”

========
Alice in Wonderland.

We all know you are in love and kisses type person.

But that does not always conform to the Bible.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We all know you are in love and kisses type person.

But that does not always conform to the Bible.

The road goes both ways.
Maybe you could act like you cared sometimes. And not just posts "at us" but to us.

Maybe you and I are two different ends of the same animal...
Maybe we could both use some 'balance' in how we post.

Oh whoops, I told myself I wouldn't bother to post to you any more.
That didn't last long...I must tighten my belt.

Reactions: Episkopos and Pearl

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The road goes both ways.
Maybe you could act like you cared sometimes. And not just posts "at us" but to us.

Because how I show I care does not conform to your thinking does not mean I do not care or show it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The road goes both ways.

I can't see who you are replying to Helen as they are my ignore list as I don't choose to read so much negative stuff.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I can't see who you are replying to Helen as they are my ignore list as I don't choose to read so much negative stuff.

Same here...still sometimes I peek to see who is disturbing the general peace. It helps to confirm my ignore list has a continued validity.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not believe it is an opinion. He has claimed six gifts of the Holy Spirit with zero proof.

And so many of the things he is already posted denies such a claim.

So I believe my statement was well grounded.

He doesn't have to have proof. Unless he is a liar and you can't prove he is, then what he says is true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bible talks about gifts many times, but only nine gifts of the Holy Spirit. There are no others.

I'm saying you have to distinguish between the different types of gifts and their purpose.

It doesn't matter if you have expressed an opinion or not. Others have on this thread.

Your OP set the Subject as being gifts of the Holy Spirit. Not all gifts.

I have made it clear in the first post that the subject matter is the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit so there is no need to discuss all the other types of gifts. If you want to do that, start another thread

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you are in line with those who believe the gifts stopped, then I am afraid I do not agree with you ' in the last days your daughters will dream dreams and your son will have visions ' ect I believe the last days started when Jesus died on the cross - I also have experienced the gifts, just never experienced the gift of tongues.
This isn't to bring about yet another debate on the subject and different view points, but just to make you aware of where I stand xx
( if you meant something other than that, then just ignore my post !!! Lol
Rita

I think you will find it is old men who will dream dreams. Which is good because you don't need a lot of energy to dream dreams when you are old.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are no 'elite groups' on Christ Jesus. Yet so many Christians seem to think there are. And they just trap us and make us afraid or demoralised. I've known you for a long time now and know you are a wise and godly woman so don't let this bring you down. You are a woman of faith too and I love you. <))))<

I am glad you said this Pearl. I was living in the UK when the charismatic renewal broke out in the 60s. People were speaking in tongues all over the place in all sorts of denominations.

Of course, to a lot of people, this was all new because they had not been exposed to Pentecostalism so they were very excited about it all.

Sad to say that people that were not experiencing this usually said: "I suppose you think you're better than us?" Which of course they didn't. I mean you can't give people a new car and expect them to keep quiet about it, can you?

Reactions: Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is what you call close minded.

You have been indoctrinated.

Whether we like it or not, we have all been indoctrinated one way or another. What we believe is determined by the indoctrination.

Our basic beliefs (indoctrination) should not change but the rest should be changing all the time as we grow in the Lord for the simple reason we don't feed a baby solid food, we feed them milk. As we grow in the faith we go on to solid food and then meat.

Sad to say, in many churches the leader is not growing so the congregation doesn't grow. They thrive and survive on the status quo. They do the same thing every week and hope for a different outcome. it ain't going to happen.