GOD’S Punishment For Disobeying His Fourth Commandment = Genesis 2;1-3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; Deuteronomy 5:15; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need to apologize. Most Christians didn't see that God changed the day of the Sabbath from the "seventh day" to "the first day of the week. We can't see it in our English Bible Translations, but Matthew 28:1 reads

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

This verse tells us that the era of the seventh day sabbaths has come to an end and a new era of sabbaths (first day of the week) is coming into view.

Note that the word "day" is italicized, meaning it is not in the original manuscripts. And, the word "week" is the same Greek plural word "sabbaton."
Go ahead and check me out.

Whereas, the Old Testament Sabbath required no work to be done, the New Testament Sabbath requires an intense spiritual work that is we go to church and give our tithes, listen to the preaching, visit friends in hospitals and speak of the Gospels, write letters to loved ones who missed church that day.....and many other spiritual things.

There is one other reason why God changed the day of worship from the seventh day to the first day of the week, but the above reasons will suffice for now

To God Be The Glory
Sunday is the first day of the week, and the reason why Mary was going to the grave as Jesus said he would be raised on that day, Sabbath was still on the same day and had just ended as the verse stated. No change of Sabbath day there sir.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each time I read a thread about the "the Sabbath," I would look for a particular post posted by someone that deals with it's true meaning. To my amazement, I have yet to find such a person, not even Seventh Day Keepers, who has the grasp and discernment on this significant law put upon mankind.

1. What is the reason that man was refrained from doing any work of any kind on the Sabbth?
2. Why is the punishment of "stoning to death" so severe as to pick up sticks
that we read about in Numbers 15?
3. Why is the warning "stone to death" carries on till this day?
4. Is there a spiritual significance to the Sabbath?
5. Did man or God changed the day of the Sabbath?
6. If God did, where can the Scripture reference be found? Hint: the Scripture references cannot be seen in our English Bible Translations!

Those would-be Bereans search the Scripture.

To God Be The Glory

Here is your answer and the Answer as to WHY God Rested from His WORK on the 7th Day.

the 7th Day of Rest is a Person and that Person is Christ

When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that Rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the OP: Genesis 2:1-3 is not God's fourth commandment. It simply says, " Thus the heavens and the earth were finished and all their multitude. On the sixth day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all the work that he had done in creation."

Deuteronomy 5:12-14 expresses the commandment, " Observe the Sabbath day and keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, or your son or your daughter, or your male or female slave, or your ox or your donkey, or any of your livestock, or the resident alien in your towns, so that your male and female slave may rest as well as you."

This brings up a more relevant question: if you are a Christian, why do you put yourself under the Old Testament law? Christians are dead to the law, as Paul clearly writes in Romans 7. You cannot be in Christ and be under the law simultaneously.

The sabbath is simply a day of rest, when one performs essential tasks only. As Jesus clearly demonstrated...

"Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, “Woman, you are set free from your ailment.” When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the Sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, “There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured and not on the Sabbath day.” But the Lord answered him and said, “You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it to water? And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the Sabbath day?” When he said this, all his opponents were put to shame, and the entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things being done by him." Luke 13:10-17

In other words, the sabbath is just "a day off".

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Gwin, @Jim B, @David in NJ, and others,

God rested from His WORK of creation, likewise, Jesus rested for three days and three nights in the tomb for His work of atonement.

Question, "What work did man do that he rested from his labor?"

Because when you find out then you will know the reasons why God the Father and Jesus rested after their work of creation and atonement.

Until then....?

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God rested from His WORK of creation, likewise, Jesus rested for three days and three nights in the tomb for His work of atonement.

Because when you find out then you will know the reasons why God the Father and Jesus rested after their work of creation and atonement.

Until then....?

To God Be The Glory
The exact reason as to "Why God rested from His works" is found in Scripture.

Now, if you could, please go to Bible Study thread: Day of Rest or day of death

and choose from any of the 6 questions to see what God has answered in His word.

Peace

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Until then....?

To God Be The Glory
fyi - that's too easy of a question = if you know truth

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fyi - that's too easy of a question = if you know truth
If the question was too easy, why did you not answer since you know truth?

Look, I posted a question first to you which you elected to evade, and in return posted six other questions instead.

To be fair, answer my original question first and in return, I will try to answer all six of your questions.

To God be The Glory

Reactions: David in NJ

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Until then....?

To God Be The Glory
He believed that Jesus died for his (the man's) sins. So "man" rested in God's salvation and ceased from his own works.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the question was too easy, why did you not answer since you know truth?

Look, I posted a question first to you which you elected to evade, and in return posted six other questions instead.

To be fair, answer my original question first and in return, I will try to answer all six of your questions.

To God be The Glory
fair enough
Your question: "What work did man do that he rested from his labor?"

Your question is earthbound and cannot Rise UP.

Man can only work with his hands in hope of earning enough to find earthly rest from his work = retirement with benefit$.
Ecclesiastes 3:22
So I perceived that nothing is better than that a man should rejoice in his own works, for that is his heritage.
Ecclesiastes 8:15
"So I commended enjoyment, because a man has nothing better under the sun than to eat, drink, and be merry;
for this will remain with him in his labor all the days of his life which God gives him under the sun."

HOWEVER - There is a work that enables a man to find Rest = John 6:28-29 and Hebrews 4:9

Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.
For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What man's works is referred to in Hebrews 4:10?

That which pertains to the Law and carries over into today which we call religion.

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Matthew 7:21-23

OK - i have answered your question twice = your turn = on the Thread Day of Rest or day of death

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What man's works is referred to in Hebrews 4:10?
EXTRA EXTRA - Read all about it - God cancels work

For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Until then....?

To God Be The Glory
God rested from His creation because He had finished His intended creation Jun. All He intended was finished. Adam chose however to stand in opposition to God, while creation was over, more work had to be done to restore the damage Adam has done. None of us know what God will do when His day of rest ends. We do know that His purpose for the earth will be complete however.

At any rate it will be interesting to see.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EXTRA EXTRA - Read all about it - God cancels work

For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast
You finally "got it." Better late than never. You have heard in Christendom that many denominations teach that a person can become saved by just accepting and believing in Jesus. Well, what do you know, isn't that a works gospel performed by man?

All this is summed up in Ephesians Chapter 2:1-13 as you quoted also verses 8-9 above.

Yes the severity and implication set forth in Numbers 15 by "stoning to death" someone who picked up sticks still holds true today, that is the punishment is still death.

To God Be The Glory

• Haha

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You finally "got it." Better late than never. You have heard in Christendom that many denominations teach that a person can become saved by just accepting and believing in Jesus. Well, what do you know, isn't that a works gospel performed by man?

All this is summed up in Ephesians Chapter 2:1-13 as you quoted also verses 8-9 above.

Yes the severity and implication set forth in Numbers 15 by "stoning to death" someone who picked up sticks still holds true today, that is the punishment is still death.

To God Be The Glory
A person is saved by accepting and believing in Jesus. Here are two parts of Scripture that demonstrate that...

John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life."

Acts 16:30-31, "Then he brought them outside and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They answered, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Also, Ephesians 2:8-9, which you cited above.

And what are you trying to say by citing Numbers 15? Do you really think that if someone picks up sticks on the Sabbath s/he deserves to be stoned to death??? Your understanding of the OT and the application of the law to Christians is seriously flawed.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus clearly changed our relation to the Sabbath! "Then he [Jesus] said to them, “The Sabbath was made for humankind and not humankind for the Sabbath, so the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.” Mark 2:27-28

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person is saved by accepting and believing in Jesus.
You are in ERROR [big time]. Accepting and believing in Jesus is what man does and therefore a works gospel.
John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life."
John 3:16 is the most quoted verse in the world yet is also the least misunderstood. Many in Christendom believe that by believing in Jesus they will not perish and have everlasting life, when in reality they are in violation of John 6:44! Christians should do some intense bible studying.
Acts 16:30-31, "Then he brought them outside and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They answered, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
Again, the words "do" and "believe" appear and again are works that man performs.
And what are you trying to say by citing Numbers 15? Do you really think that if someone picks up sticks on the Sabbath s/he deserves to be stoned to death??? Your understanding of the OT and the application of the law to Christians is seriously flawed.
Do you not see??? By doing any kinds of work on the Seventh Day Sabbath is still punishable by death!!! God changed the day of the sabbath from the seventh day to the first day of the week [Matt. 28:1] which cannot be seen in our English Bible Translations.

Whereas, it was forbidden to do any kinds of work on the Seventh Day Sabbath, it is now an intense spiritual work for the believers. Although the days have changed from the seventh day to the first day of the week, the implications still remain the same. But now it is intense spiritual work so that the Gospel may be preached throughout all the earth. and most importantly, now we have a "rest" in Jesus and no need to work out our salvation for God has done ALL the work that were required!!!

BTW, the Seventh Day Sabbath was a precursor pointing to the Lord Jesus that He did all the work to save us and none of us can say we did our part also, NONE!

To God Be The Glory

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are in ERROR [big time]. Accepting and believing in Jesus is what man does and therefore a works gospel.

John 3:16 is the most quoted verse in the world yet is also the least misunderstood. Many in Christendom believe that by believing in Jesus they will not perish and have everlasting life, when in reality they are in violation of John 6:44! Christians should do some intense bible studying.

Again, the words "do" and "believe" appear and again are works that man performs.

Do you not see??? By doing any kinds of work on the Seventh Day Sabbath is still punishable by death!!! God changed the day of the sabbath from the seventh day to the first day of the week [Matt. 28:1] which cannot be seen in our English Bible Translations.

Whereas, it was forbidden to do any kinds of work on the Seventh Day Sabbath, it is now an intense spiritual work for the believers. Although the days have changed from the seventh day to the first day of the week, the implications still remain the same. But now it is intense spiritual work so that the Gospel may be preached throughout all the earth. and most importantly, now we have a "rest" in Jesus and no need to work out our salvation for God has done ALL the work that were required!!!

BTW, the Seventh Day Sabbath was a precursor pointing to the Lord Jesus that He did all the work to save us and none of us can say we did our part also, NONE!

To God Be The Glory
These are simply your opinions.

a) Believing is not "work".
b) You claim that by doing any kinds of work on the Seventh Day Sabbath is still punishable by death!!! That is a Pharisaic argument, which Jesus clearly refuted.
c) You got one thing right: now we have a "rest" in Jesus and no need to work out our salvation for God has done ALL the work that were required!!!