GOD’S Punishment For Disobeying His Fourth Commandment = Genesis 2;1-3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miz KJV Only

Oct 20, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2;1-3

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.

Exodus 20:8-11

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Numbers 16:31-38

And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them: And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest, that he take up the censers out of the burning, and scatter thou the fire yonder; for they are hallowed. The censers of these sinners against their own souls, let them make them broad plates for a covering of the altar: for they offered them before the LORD, therefore they are hallowed: and they shall be a sign unto the children of Israel.

Exodus 31:14-15

Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Isaiah 56;2, 6-7

Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Ezekiel 20:21

Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness.

II Chronicles 36:19-21

And they burnt the house of God, and brake down the wall of Jerusalem, and burnt all the palaces thereof with fire, and destroyed all the goodly vessels thereof. And them that had escaped from the sword carried he away to Babylon; where they were servants to him and his sons until the reign of the kingdom of Persia: To fulfil the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay desolate she kept sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years.

Ezekiel 20:12-13

Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 22:26

Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Ezekiel 23:38-39

Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths. For when they had slain their children to their idols, then they came the same day into my sanctuary to profane it; and, lo, thus have they done in the midst of mine house.

Jeremiah 17:24-27

And it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but hallow the sabbath day, to do no work therein; Then shall there enter into the gates of this city kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: and this city shall remain for ever. And they shall come from the cities of Judah, and from the places about Jerusalem, and from the land of Benjamin, and from the plain, and from the mountains, and from the south, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices, and meat offerings, and incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the LORD. But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Nehemiah 13:17-22

Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice. Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath. And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.

AMEN

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2;1-3

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them: And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense. And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest, that he take up the censers out of the burning, and scatter thou the fire yonder; for they are hallowed. The censers of these sinners against their own souls, let them make them broad plates for a covering of the altar: for they offered them before the LORD, therefore they are hallowed: and they shall be a sign unto the children of Israel.

Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Isaiah 56;2, 6-7

Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness.

And they burnt the house of God, and brake down the wall of Jerusalem, and burnt all the palaces thereof with fire, and destroyed all the goodly vessels thereof. And them that had escaped from the sword carried he away to Babylon; where they were servants to him and his sons until the reign of the kingdom of Persia: To fulfil the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay desolate she kept sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years.

Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths. For when they had slain their children to their idols, then they came the same day into my sanctuary to profane it; and, lo, thus have they done in the midst of mine house.

And it shall come to pass, if ye diligently hearken unto me, saith the LORD, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the sabbath day, but hallow the sabbath day, to do no work therein; Then shall there enter into the gates of this city kings and princes sitting upon the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: and this city shall remain for ever. And they shall come from the cities of Judah, and from the places about Jerusalem, and from the land of Benjamin, and from the plain, and from the mountains, and from the south, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices, and meat offerings, and incense, and bringing sacrifices of praise, unto the house of the LORD. But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice. Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath. And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy.

AMEN
Christians are not under obligation to observe the Sabbath day maam. The only one of those ten laws that we no longer have to observe. I might add, that was truly a blessing, as everyone you know would have to be executed under that law.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:10 - But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.”

Galatians 5:18 - But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2;1-3

Isaiah 56;2, 6-7

AMEN
I already own a Bible. What is your point?

BTW, Genesis 2:1-3 doesn't state a commandment.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the observance of a sabbath... the sabbath is a day of rest, i.e., a day when no work is required other than necessary tasks to live. IOW, it is a day off. It was an unknown concept in early agricultural societies, when people lived "hand-to-mouth" and had to work every day of the week. In modern societies, most people have a day (or two) off. Making into a law that must be scrupulously obeyed is absurd.

Luke 13: 14-16, "But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the Sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, “There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured and not on the Sabbath day.” But the Lord answered him and said, “You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it to water? 16 And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the Sabbath day?”

Matthew 12:1-14, "At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath; his disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. When the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.” He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? How he entered the house of God, and they[a] ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him or his companions to eat, but only for the priests? Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and yet are guiltless? I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath. He left that place and entered their synagogue; a man was there with a withered hand, and they asked him, “Is it lawful to cure on the Sabbath?” so that they might accuse him. [sound familiar?] He said to them, “Suppose one of you has only one sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath; will you not lay hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a human being than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and it was restored, as sound as the other. But the Pharisees went out and conspired against him, how to destroy him."

Mark 2:27-28, "Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for humankind and not humankind for the Sabbath, so the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

John 5:1-24 "After this there was a festival of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

Now in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate there is a pool, called in Hebrew Beth-zatha, which has five porticoes. In these lay many ill, blind, lame, and paralyzed people One man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be made well?” The ill man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am making my way someone else steps down ahead of me.” Jesus said to him, “Stand up, take your mat and walk.”At once the man was made well, and he took up his mat and began to walk.

Now that day was a Sabbath. So the Jews said to the man who had been cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your mat.” But he answered them, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your mat and walk.’ ” They asked him, “Who is the man who said to you, ‘Take it up and walk’?” Now the man who had been healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had disappeared in the crowd that was there. Later Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, “See, you have been made well! Do not sin any more, so that nothing worse happens to you.” The man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. Therefore the Jews started persecuting Jesus, because he was doing such things on the Sabbath. But Jesus answered them, “My Father is still working, and I also am working.” For this reason the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because he was not only breaking the Sabbath but was also calling God his own Father, thereby making himself equal to God.

Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own but only what he sees the Father doing, for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise. The Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing, and he will show him greater works than these, so that you will be astonished. Indeed, just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whomever he wishes. The Father judges no one but has given all judgment to the Son, so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and does not come under judgment but has passed from death to life."

John 7:21-23, "Jesus answered them, “I performed one work [on the Sabbath], and all of you are astonished. Because of this Moses gave you circumcision (it is, of course, not from Moses but from the patriarchs), and you circumcise a man on the Sabbath. If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath in order that the law of Moses may not be broken, are you angry with me because I healed a man’s whole body on the Sabbath?"

John 9:13-17, "They brought to the Pharisees the man who had formerly been blind. Now it was a Sabbath day when Jesus made the mud and opened his eyes. Then the Pharisees also began to ask him how he had received his sight. He said to them, “He put mud on my eyes. Then I washed, and now I see.” Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not observe the Sabbath.” Others said, “How can a man who is a sinner perform such signs?” And they were divided. So they said again to the blind man, “What do you say about him? It was your eyes he opened.” He said, “He is a prophet.”

Colossians 2:15-17, "He disarmed the rulers and authorities and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in it. Therefore, do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food or drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or Sabbaths. These are only a shadow of what is to come, but the body belongs to Christ."

Forcing people to observe the Sabbath is putting them back under the OT law and is clearly contrary to the teachings and example of Jesus Christ, God's Son and our Savior.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each time I read a thread about the "the Sabbath," I would look for a particular post posted by someone that deals with it's true meaning. To my amazement, I have yet to find such a person, not even Seventh Day Keepers, who has the grasp and discernment on this significant law put upon mankind.

1. What is the reason that man was refrained from doing any work of any kind on the Sabbth?
2. Why is the punishment of "stoning to death" so severe as to pick up sticks
that we read about in Numbers 15?
3. Why is the warning "stone to death" carries on till this day?
4. Is there a spiritual significance to the Sabbath?
5. Did man or God changed the day of the Sabbath?
6. If God did, where can the Scripture reference be found? Hint: the Scripture references cannot be seen in our English Bible Translations!

Those would-be Bereans search the Scripture.

To God Be The Glory

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each time I read a thread about the "the Sabbath," I would look for a particular post posted by someone that deals with it's true meaning. To my amazement, I have yet to find such a person, not even Seventh Day Keepers, who has the grasp and discernment on this significant law put upon mankind.

1. What is the reason that man was refrained from doing any work of any kind on the Sabbth?
2. Why is the punishment of "stoning to death" so severe as to pick up sticks
that we read about in Numbers 15?
3. Why is the warning "stone to death" carries on till this day?
4. Is there a spiritual significance to the Sabbath?
5. Did man or God changed the day of the Sabbath?
6. If God did, where can the Scripture reference be found? Hint: the Scripture references cannot be seen in our English Bible Translations!

Those would-be Bereans search the Scripture.

To God Be The Glory
As I have said before, the sabbath is a day off. Nothing more and nothing less.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have said before, the sabbath is a day off. Nothing more and nothing less.
Day off from what? Because God ceased from His work of creation therefore, needed to rest? Really?

True. God had a more significant reason to rest from His labor but one must be spiritual to see it, as per 2 Timothy 3:16-17! And, when this is understood, spiritual blessings come.

If the Sabbath is indeed true why did the Jews accused Jesus of working miracles on the Sabbath which was not lawful to do on a Sabbath? Does God have a law for Himself and another for mankind? Didn't Jesus say that He came to fulfill the law?

I gave six reasons and not one has been answered!!!

To God Be The Glory

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Day off from what? Because God ceased from His work of creation therefore, needed to rest? Really?

True. God had a more significant reason to rest from His labor but one must be spiritual to see it, as per 2 Timothy 3:16-17! And, when this is understood, spiritual blessings come.

If the Sabbath is indeed true why did the Jews accused Jesus of working miracles on the Sabbath which was not lawful to do on a Sabbath? Does God have a law for Himself and another for mankind? Didn't Jesus say that He came to fulfill the law?

I gave six reasons and not one has been answered!!!

To God Be The Glory
The sabbath is simply a day off from unnecessary work. It was an unknown thing in the days of primitive agriculture, when the great majority of people lived in extreme poverty and had to work ceaselessly to have any reasonable chance of survival.

The most powerful Jews of Jesus' time overdid their sabbath rules interpretation, insisting that absolutely no work of any kind should be done on the sabbath, but Jesus showed them the absurdity of that belief. Healing people, recuing an animal, eating when you're famished, etc. didn't fall under their legalistic definition and they were furious when Jesus showed them their error. Rather than understanding Jesus' teaching, they stuck by their extreme legalism and plotted to kill Him for his supposed disobedience.

And nobody is obligated to answer your six questions.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What scripture says that the seventh day Sabbath no longer needs to be observed and states the moment when the non-observance change took place?
(Colossians 2:16-17) . . .Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; 17 for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.

(Romans 10:4) . . .For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.

Reactions: Jim B

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Colossians 2:16-17) . . .Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; 17 for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.

(Romans 10:4) . . .For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.
I know you're a JW therefore, you will read and see Scripture in light by the presuppositions your church affiliation sees and understands.

Indeed, eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath, are a shadow of things to come but the reality belongs to Christ. Do you know the reason why the sabbath is a shadow that is, NO substance?

You have misunderstood Romans 10:4 [as usual]. If a person has faith, why does he need to exercise it?

Why are you spreading or sowing heresies in these forums that belongs for Christians Only?

To God Be The Glory

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know you're a JW therefore, you will read and see Scripture in light by the presuppositions your church affiliation sees and understands.

Indeed, eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath, are a shadow of things to come but the reality belongs to Christ. Do you know the reason why the sabbath is a shadow that is, NO substance?

You have misunderstood Romans 10:4 [as usual]. If a person has faith, why does he need to exercise it?

Why are you spreading or sowing heresies in these forums that belongs for Christians Only?

To God Be The Glory
(John 8:46, 47) . . .If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. . . .

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(John 8:46, 47) . . .If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. . . .
The word "if" can be found in Scripture over 1000 times!!! So tell me, if [pardon the pun] you are speaking the truth, which Sabbath do you think God has in view, The Seventh Day Sabbath or The First Day of the Week Sabbath?

To God Be The Glory

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "if" can be found in Scripture over 1000 times!!! So tell me, if [pardon the pun] you are speaking the truth, which Sabbath do you think God has in view, The Seventh Day Sabbath or The First Day of the Week Sabbath?

To God Be The Glory
I am sorry Jun, I do not understand the question. The 4th commandment for God's people was observed from dusk on Friday, until dusk on Saturday. I am ignorant of the first day of the week sabbath, where is that located in the Bible sir?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry Jun, I do not understand the question. The 4th commandment for God's people was observed from dusk on Friday, until dusk on Saturday. I am ignorant of the first day of the week sabbath, where is that located in the Bible sir?
No need to apologize. Most Christians didn't see that God changed the day of the Sabbath from the "seventh day" to "the first day of the week. We can't see it in our English Bible Translations, but Matthew 28:1 reads

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

This verse tells us that the era of the seventh day sabbaths has come to an end and a new era of sabbaths (first day of the week) is coming into view.

Note that the word "day" is italicized, meaning it is not in the original manuscripts. And, the word "week" is the same Greek plural word "sabbaton."
Go ahead and check me out.

Whereas, the Old Testament Sabbath required no work to be done, the New Testament Sabbath requires an intense spiritual work that is we go to church and give our tithes, listen to the preaching, visit friends in hospitals and speak of the Gospels, write letters to loved ones who missed church that day.....and many other spiritual things.

There is one other reason why God changed the day of worship from the seventh day to the first day of the week, but the above reasons will suffice for now

To God Be The Glory

Biblethumper

Feb 19, 2023
Delran
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church moved from buildings in the Old Testament to being in dwelt in believers. You don’t need to go to church to worship and pray, you can do that anytime anywhere. Christians should learn to be able to read the Bible themselves, there are many free tools online such a a good commentary to explain passages to you. However the Lord wants us to be in fellowship with other believers at church but your body is the temple of the Lord now

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church moved from buildings in the Old Testament to being in dwelt in believers. You don’t need to go to church to worship and pray, you can do that anytime anywhere. Christians should learn to be able to read the Bible themselves
Hebrews 10:21-25 reads:

21 And [having] an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of [our] faith without wavering; (for he [is] faithful that promised;)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

there are many free tools online such a a good commentary to explain passages to you. However the Lord wants us to be in fellowship with other believers at church but your body is the temple of the Lord now
Yes, but are all commentaries faithful to the word of God? Lol

To God Be The Glory

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:16
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—

There are 613 Mosaic Laws, which includes what people believe are the Ten Commandments. They are Jewish Laws, still in affect for the Jews, not Christians. Of the 613 Mosaic Laws there are a lot of them that Christians are not required to observe.

The Jewish sabbath is on Saturday, Christians observe "the Lord's Day" on Sunday. Should we go to church and praise and worship the Lord and fellowship? Sure thing. Does God take attendance? Nothing in the scriptures for that. Different today then back then. The word church in the New Testament meant congregation....no church buildings....eventually Christians gathered in private homes.....house churches where meals were prepared. But back then if Christians were following the Mosaic Law walking more than half a mile to those house churches would be a violation of the Sabbath and the meal would be a dish of sin.

The Jewish practice of the day of rest....the Sabbath....was very literal and very restrictive. No meals were prepared, travel restricted to half a mile? Basically no movement that would accomplish anything. If we observed it today, it would mean we could not walk more than half a mile? Driving a car would be considered work, no cooking of food, no talking on the phone, no use of lighting at night, no changing clothes or no putting something in the trash, no feeding pets, no adjusting the thermostat, no flushing the toilet etc.

Today the Jews have to deal with all this but it is not a concern for Christians. For Christians the day belongs to the Lord, we work at going to church and work at organizing worship services for the Lord....it is all effort that would not be allowed on the Jewish Sabbath.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2;1-3

Isaiah 56;2, 6-7

AMEN
Yes we should observe the Sabbath. But strict adherence is not necessary. We should keep it holy though and do the Lord's service on the Sabbath. We should not be working as it is a day of rest. The slaves of Egypt got no rest.