God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all just you! I believe this is what Jesus would have said to the Pharisees and Scribes.

Good! One down and - - - - to go?

Yes! And you can laugh all the way to ...... ?

To God Be The Glory
All the way to where? Go ahead and finish it! Now I know why more people don't become Cristians.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Catholic.com:

The early Church Fathers compared the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of the rite of circumcision, and from that they demonstrated that if the apostles abolished circumcision (Gal. 5:1-6), so also the observance of the Sabbath must have been abolished.

The problem is that circumcision is not part of the ten commandments and, therefore, is incomparable to the Sabbath. Before the mid-20th century, no one believed that the ten commandments were just another part of the "obsolete Mosaic law."

No one.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read in Acts 13:42, 44
42) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
44) And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Please note that the Jews gathered together on the seventh day of the week [Saturday] and also note the term "next" in Strong's Concordance means "between" therefore, in this case, "next/between sabbaths" would mean the day after Saturday will have to mean Sunday the first day of the week.

Now the most significant and profound Scripture reference concerning the change from Saturday Sabbath to Sunday Sabbath worship [which BTW, can't be seen in the English translation] is Matthew 28:1 that reads:
"In the end of the sabbath as it began to dawn towards the first day of the week came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher."

Please note that the printer is warning the English reader that words in italicize in the KJV Bible, are not in the original manuscripts. Also note that the word "week" is the plural Hebrew word "sabaton" that can be proven.

Hence, Matthew 28:1 can be rendered thus:
"In the end of the sabbaths as it began to dawn towards the first of the sabbaths came Mary..."

Now Matthew 28:1 seems to be in harmony and that God teaches us that He changed the Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to the First Day Sabbath which to us is Sunday.

To God Be The Glory

The Sabbath was not commanded by Jesus in the New Testament nor by the Apostles. Why? It was part the Law. Calendars have changed. Who knows what day is really since Creation. But the important aspect in the OT was that we need a day of rest, to not be busy with work or anything and devote that to God and family worship, not consumed by or destracted by worldly things. FOR CHRISTIANS, that could be any day of the week. Some have to work weekends. Our church had service's Friday, Saturday and Sunday - your choice.
Jesus said, I am the Lord of the Sabbath. We find rest in Him - He us our Sabbath. A day is a day, physical time. Spiritually we are in Christ. Just a rest is ours.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read in Acts 13:42, 44
42) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
44) And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Please note that the Jews gathered together on the seventh day of the week [Saturday] and also note the term "next" in Strong's Concordance means "between" therefore, in this case, "next/between sabbaths" would mean the day after Saturday will have to mean Sunday the first day of the week.

Now the most significant and profound Scripture reference concerning the change from Saturday Sabbath to Sunday Sabbath worship [which BTW, can't be seen in the English translation] is Matthew 28:1 that reads:
"In the end of the sabbath as it began to dawn towards the first day of the week came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher."

Please note that the printer is warning the English reader that words in italicize in the KJV Bible, are not in the original manuscripts. Also note that the word "week" is the plural Hebrew word "sabaton" that can be proven.

Hence, Matthew 28:1 can be rendered thus:
"In the end of the sabbaths as it began to dawn towards the first of the sabbaths came Mary..."

Now Matthew 28:1 seems to be in harmony and that God teaches us that He changed the Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to the First Day Sabbath which to us is Sunday.

To God Be The Glory

The Sabbath was not commanded by Jesus in the New Testament nor by the Apostles. Why? It was part the Law. Calendars have changed. Who knows what day is really since Creation. But the important aspect in the OT was that we need a day of rest, to not be busy with work or anything and devote that to God and family worship, not consumed by or destracted by worldly things. FOR CHRISTIANS, that could be any day of the week. Some have to work weekends. Our church had service's Friday, Saturday and Sunday - your choice.
Jesus said, I am the Lord of the Sabbath. We find rest in Him - He us our Sabbath. A day is a day, physical time. Spiritually we are in Christ. Just a rest is ours.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of this is valid evidence that the 4th commandment has been abrogated. All of these things have been refuted plainly several times in this thread.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald David Bruno

Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
(Romans 7:12)

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! (Isaiah 5:20)

Reactions: JunChosen

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of this is valid evidence that the 4th commandment has been abrogated. All of these things have been refuted plainly several times in this thread.
Jesus said He was the Lord of the Sabbath. The Jews as slaves in Egypt were accustomed to working 7 days/wk. God gave them that day of rest. The Sabbath was for man to rest not man for the Sabbath.
But if you insist, try and keep it - all 256 Sabbath laws while you are at it - you will fail. It was a burden fir them and Christ releaved them of that burden.
Don't put judgment on others if they choose their own day or everyday.
"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath." Col. 2:16
To me everyday, I worship and pray and have a relationship with Christ everyday.
>> If you live by the Law you will be judged by the Law!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is ridiculous. Murder, adultery, lying, stealing are all commanded against by Jesus and the NT. You can't have it both ways.
Yes, 9 of the 10 commandments were reiterated by Jesus except the Sabbath and that again was during a time when they were still under the Law, pre-death and resurrection. Take it up with Jesus.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald David Bruno

Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
(Romans 7:12)

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! (Isaiah 5:20)
Absolutely agree. :)
Liberals/ left wingers are committing all all sorts of lawlessness these days, Antifa and the current government, calling evil good and good evil. Are you one of those?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if you insist, try and keep it - all 256 Sabbath laws while you are at it - you will fail. It was a burden fir them and Christ releaved them of that burden.
The ten commandments contains only one (1) Sabbath law--not 256. I don't do the 'throwing out the baby with the bathwater' thing, myself. Just sayin'. We've been through this before. All you have to do is read through the thread to see all the answers to objections to keeping God's moral law. The ten commandments were spoken by God Himself. I'm just warning--not judging--there's a difference. God said it. That "judging me" business could be applied to anything from the Bible. You're judging me for warning you. Stop judging me. (Not really--even if you are judging me, it's okay--I forgive you). People don't keep the Sabbath because they've been taught erroneously that it's not necessary or because their lifestyle won't allow it.

Links:

Remember Lot's Wife | Free Book Library | Amazing Facts
Does God's Grace Blot Out the Law? | Free Book Library | Amazing Facts

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you agree that the ten commandments are holy and just and good? Or just 9? Simple question. No need for an elaborate rationalization.

Just ten (10) or nine (9). What'll it be?
Of course they are. We obey them, it is just that salvation does not come from keeping the Law. Jesus fulfilled it for us. All laws fall under Jesus two commandments referred to as the Law of Love.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course they are. We obey them, it is just that slavation does not come from keeping the Law. Jesus fulfilled it for us. All laws fall under Jesus two commandments referred to as the Law of Love.
Who ever said slavation comes from keeping the law?

Nobody--that's who.

So, 10 or 9?

10 or 9? Simple question

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who ever said slavation comes from keeping the law?

Nobody--that's who.

So, 10 or 9?

10 or 9? Simple question
Lol. Did I do dat?
I created a new word, slavation: the state of being a slave to someone or something.
We are now slaves to God - what di ya know, it works!

10 OR 9?

SIMPLE Answer: 2

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All the thrashing, all the manoeuvring, all the many words does not alter one jot or title re the Commandments.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All laws? Even the ceremonial and sacrificial laws?

Why do you call them "Jesus two commandments?"

Where in Scripture are they called the "Law of Love?"
"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” Matt. 22:40

A commandment is a law, (rule, requirement, duty)
Love is the command, and so we put them together and we get the Law of Love.

Barney, you must have at least common sense to figure this stuff out - gee whiz. I am surprised. A Deputy, even for such a small town like Mayberry needs to know about laws. But maybe that is why Andy always has to correct you?

Reactions: JunChosen