God Checks To See If You Pay Attention in His Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God often puts things in His Word that are to draw your attention, IF... you are paying attention in His Word. Here's an example...

This is about the genealogy of Judah (see 1 Chronicles 4:1). Notice all the begats...

1 Chron 4:6-13
6 And Naarah bare him Ahuzam, and Hepher, and Temeni, and Haahashtari. These were the sons of Naarah.

7 And the sons of Helah were, Zereth, and Jezoar, and Ethnan.

8 And Coz begat Anub, and Zobebah, and the families of Aharhel the son of Harum.

9 And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, 'Because I bare him with sorrow.'

10 And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, "Oh that Thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that Thine hand might be with me, and that Thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!" And God granted him that which he requested.

11 And Chelub the brother of Shuah begat Mehir, which was the father of Eshton.

12 And Eshton begat Beth-rapha, and Paseah, and Tehinnah the father of Ir-nahash. These are the men of Rechah.

13 And the sons of Kenaz; Othniel, and Seraiah: and the sons of Othniel; Hathath.
KJV

Got all those begats of the seed of Judah going, and then all of sudden -- and Jabez pops out of nowhere. What gives with that?

Do you also notice above it does not tell us who Jabez was descended from, nor his offspring after him?

So what in the world is Jabez doing being mentioned here, right in the middle of Judah's genealogy? And then in verse 11, Judah's genealogy picks up again! What's going on there? Where did Jabez come from?

1. The first thing to note, is that Jabez was NOT of bloodline Judah, otherwise his father would have been mentioned there in the begetting, and Jabez's lineage of begats would also have been listed.

2. The second thing to note is just who dwelt at the city named after Jabez, because he did pray that God would bless him, and enlarge his coast.

1 Chron 2:55
55 And the families of the scribes which dwelt at Jabez; the Tirathites, the Shimeathites, and Suchathites. These are the Kenites that came of Hemath, the father of the house of Rechab.

KJV

Who were the Kenites? We are shown back in Genesis 15, and they are not the Midianites that were descended from Abraham...

Gen 15:18-21
18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, "Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,

20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.
KJV

Per Deuteronomy 20, God told the children of Israel when going into the land of Canaan to literally destroy the nations there. The Kenites were a people living among the those lands mentioned above, and were not of the children of Israel.

Some argue that the Kenites were Midianites, supposedly like Mose's father-in-law who was actually a Midianite priest. That is impossible for Moses' father-in-law to be of the Kenites, because Midian, the actual father of the Midianites, was a descendant of Abraham and his wife Keturah (Genesis 25:2). And the above Scripture shows God is pledging the lands of Canaan to Abraham, wherein the Kenites were already dwelling in the lands of Canaan among those other nations.

So who was that Jabez that is listed among the bloodline of Judah? Well, the 1 Chronicles 2:55 verse reveals Jabez was most likely of the Kenites, a scribe among the children of Israel. My point in all this is how God showed Jabez, even though listed among Judah's genealogy, actually was not... born in Judah's genealogy.

Reactions: marks

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's another example, this time by our Lord Jesus, and you also have to have notice His answer in another Bible Book.

Luke 17:30-36
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

32 Remember Lot's wife.

33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
KJV

No mistake what day Lord Jesus was talking about there. He was talking about the day of His coming to gather His faithful Church. But WHICH ONE there is gathered, the one "taken"?

If you just stop right there, and then think Jesus is talking about the rapture, and that the ones 'taken' there means His gathering of His Church, then you would be very... WRONG! Why? Because you probably skipped the FINAL VERSE!

Luke 17:37
37 And they answered and said unto Him, "Where, Lord?" And He said unto them, "Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together."

KJV

In Matthew 24:28, Jesus gave another version of that answer to His disciples...

Matt 24:28
28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

KJV

In the above Matthew 24 version, no mistake that Lord Jesus is pointing to the deceived being like a DEAD CARCASE where the fowls will be gathered to feast upon! That is the SAME answer He gave His disciples in that Luke 17:37 verse!

So being TAKEN there is NOT about His gathering of His faithful Church. It is instead about the DECEIVED being taken to where the fowls will be gathered eating on the dead carcase (spiritually).

Many preachers just bypass that final Luke 17 verse, not reading it to the congregation. Others only pull a couple of those first one taken verses and then push a false pre-trib rapture theory. But what are Christ's servants to do? We are to READ ALL OF THE CHAPTER, not simply pull single verses out of it. God's people want the WHOLE LOAF OF BREAD, not just fragments like the false prophets offer.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has always intrigued me because it can be read as the living body of Christ or the Lost(carcass).

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has always intrigued me because it can be read as the living body of Christ or the Lost(carcass).

Not so brother, the word "carcase" means a DEAD body, and not simply generic for 'body'.

NT:4430
ptoma (pto'-mah); from the alternate of NT:4098; a ruin, i.e. (specifically) lifeless body (corpse, carrion):

KJV - dead body, carcase, corpse.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006, 2010 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so brother, the word "carcase" means a DEAD body, and not simply generic for 'body'.

NT:4430
ptoma (pto'-mah); from the alternate of NT:4098; a ruin, i.e. (specifically) lifeless body (corpse, carrion):

KJV - dead body, carcase, corpse.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006, 2010 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
So I use blue letter bible and in Luke 17:37 the word body can mean a dead body or corpse or a living body. Here is a link: G4983 - sōma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I use blue letter bible and in Luke 17:37 the word body can mean a dead body or corpse or a living body. Here is a link: G4983 - sōma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv)

Try using the Englishman's Concordance.

In the Textus Receptus (that the KJV used), it only translated as:
1. "carcase" (Matthew 24:28)
2. "corpse" (Mark 6:29)
3. "dead bodies" (Revelation 11:8 and 9)

In the Nestle-Aland 27th edition Greek text, it is always about a 'dead' body also.