God does not destroy sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Shalom,

God destroyed the consequences of sin on the cross, namely punishment. He didn't destroy sin itself, or every believer would be sinless. Truth is, we will continue to sin even after accepting Christ, simply because his sacrifice atones for our sin, - this doesn't mean we're miraculously transformed into sinless beings the moment we accept Christ.

Elysian

prophetic

Dec 19, 2011
Shalom,

God destroyed the consequences of sin on the cross, namely punishment. He didn't destroy sin itself, or every believer would be sinless. Truth is, we will continue to sin even after accepting Christ, simply because his sacrifice atones for our sin, - this doesn't mean we're miraculously transformed into sinless beings the moment we accept Christ.

Elysian
it's truth and i agreed with your thoughts
Hi mate

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
What is being preached is gnosticism... Something men like John fought against, and also the disciples of John, even to a few generations down. If this is true, then man is saved by receiving a gospel that is powerless... He is saved by believing a story and yet his life remains unchanged. But that is not what the scriptures tell us! Christ came to destroy sin!

[sup]4[/sup]Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
[sup]5[/sup]And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
[sup]6[/sup]Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him
[sup]7[/sup]Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
[sup]8[/sup]He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
[sup]9[/sup]Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is too funny! :) God is preserving sin? It seems any excuse is offered rather than simply believe God.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Pshaw... from the moment I awake to the moment I pass into a fitfull and restless sleep I am either sinning, thinking about sinning, or repenting of the sin I just committed.

If any Christian tells you different they have no concept of sin or repentence.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pshaw... from the moment I awake to the moment I pass into a fitfull and restless sleep I am either sinning, thinking about sinning, or repenting of the sin I just committed.

If any Christian tells you different they have no concept of sin or repentence.

Does your experience qualifies you to comment on the issue?

Like someone who says it is easy to quit cigarettes because he quits every day. ;)

A person who repents turns away from sin...he doesn't continue in it. So much for being an expert on repentance, eh?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
"A person who repents turns away from sin...he doesn't continue in it." sounds as if you have zero experience in either.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is sad that the Bible Alone cannot clearly define this basic doctrine.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think it is sad that the Bible Alone cannot clearly define this basic doctrine.

I agree that the bible is written in such a way, it seems, that you can come away with a variety of possible interpretations. However, only the actual truth makes all the verses line up together. :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that the bible is written in such a way, it seems, that you can come away with a variety of possible interpretations. However, only the actual truth makes all the verses line up together. :)

Your truth or mine?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
You are making a good argument for the necessity of sacred scripture and sacred tradition as equal authority

Sacred tradition according to who's opinion?

This would actually leave us with the same dilemma! Rather it is the Spirit that interprets (teaches us) scripture.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012

You are correct. Christ didn't destroy sin on the cross; he destroyed the power of sin. Sin still hinders and afflicts our lives and wreaks havoc on the lost. Anyone who thinks sin has been destroyed, or that they are not sinful beings, is delusional. Sin will be with us until it is destroyed in the lake of fire. That is the mystery of Azazel.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Let's look at it another way. We have accepted Christ, so why are we still in this world?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's look at it another way. We have accepted Christ, so why are we still in this world?
There are those who have not yet accepted Christ, have compassion! In truth burn as a beacon to the masses.
Matthew 28:16-20

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Christ is not looking to be accepted. He has no emotional issues. Jesus Christ is the Lamb of GOD...not OUR sacrifice. He doesn't need our approval......and He did not offer Himself to please us.

You are correct. Christ didn't destroy sin on the cross; he destroyed the power of sin. Sin still hinders and afflicts our lives and wreaks havoc on the lost. Anyone who thinks sin has been destroyed, or that they are not sinful beings, is delusional. Sin will be with us until it is destroyed in the lake of fire. That is the mystery of Azazel.

Only those who abide in Christ can overcome sin. Sin is everywhere around us....but God has a refuge in His people who walk in the Spirit. We have a refuge in God who follow Christ in the Spirit! :)

You are making a good argument for the necessity of sacred scripture and sacred tradition as equal authority

Really? How so?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I posted this in another thread and feel it is relevant here.

Here I want to refer to John.
John 1:29 NASB
The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
In accordance to the gospel, Jesus "takes away the sin of the world". No longer is sin covered as it was in the old covenant, now under the new covenant sin is taken away. We are no longer bound to sin and it's penalty which is death for we have been delivered and overcame sin and death.

Those who say we are still sinners are mastered by sin, and do not have the Spirit in them.
Is that to say we, those who do have the Spirit, never sin again? My prayer for all is yes, yet I am a realist. I have failed and fallen short the glory of God, Jesus Christ, in that fashion. The very reason no man could do what was done by God through His Son. Yet a ray of light and hope is I am not bound to that sin any longer for my Master has delivered me, and I am not destined to continuance in that sin. We are all being shaped closer to the perfection of Christ, and every act of repentance from sin strengthens us in our struggle. This struggle begins with the reshaping and renewing of the mind. To think we are still tied to sin is to be mastered by it, but to believe in the renewing Spirit, that is Christ Jesus, is to die to the flesh and to walk according to the Spirit.
Romans 6:5-7
Romans 8:6-8