God is the cause of suffering.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that the Bible implies that God at times makes believers suffers on his own demand. Typically when something bad happens a Christian will say "God doesn't cause pain it's the devil" but how true is this?

Acts 9:16

I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."

Philippians 1:29

"For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him,"

1 Peter 4:19

So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

1 Peter 3:17

For it is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

Holy999

Feb 18, 2020
stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
he also says suffer for your wife so he isent really that evil like you think.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It seems that the Bible implies that God at times makes believers suffers on his own demand. Typically when something bad happens a Christian will say "God doesn't cause pain it's the devil" but how true is this?

"For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him,"

So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

For it is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

There is no doubt that God does "cause" direct and indirect suffering for His children. The Old Testament is full of such examples, with God's dealing with His people, the children of Israel. Hebrews 12:8, "But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons". 1 Peter 1:6-8, "Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, ye have been put to grief in manifold temptations, that the proof of your faith, [being] more precious than gold that perisheth though it is proved by fire, might be found unto praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ: whom not having seen ye love; on whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice greatly with joy unspeakable and full of glory"

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello @saisigh; God doesn't cause suffering (James 1:13-15). What causes suffering is suffering on behalf for Christ ~ Is when a believer is mocked, hated, persecuted (Matthew 5:44), because of having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. For the sake of Christ as believers ; are to deny ourselves (Matthew 16:24; Luke 9:23) as take up our cross, and die in baptism with Christ (Romans 6:3-6)dying to our fleshly ways (Galatians 5:19-20) and being resurrected spiritually with Christ (Romans 5, Romans 6, Galatians 2:20, Galatians 5) - As Christ raised from the dead we also; (Romans 8:11; Romans 8; 2 Corinthians 5:17) into new life which is spiritually and lived by walking in the spirit and allowing Christ Jesus to work in and through you by faith and trusting in God.

What is being talked about is the suffering for Christ Jesus - on behalf of our love for Him, because He loved us first; along with spiritual maturity.

These are some of my thoughts on the topic.

Typically when something bad happens a Christian will say "God doesn't cause pain it's the devil" but how true is this?

To your question: Well... Us as human beings can cause suffering as internally and externally for ourselves, and others; by and through our own choices we decide to make in our soul; Not everyone has had a perfect life where they have no suffering in their life; that would be a lie.

Everyone has and goes through suffering and ups and downs in life ; and one of the only answers to have peace and be justified by and through the Lord Jesus Christ by faith and can have peace with God.

( I personally believe that the Devil/Satan has been defeated; and everyone for the most part whom are mentally well, and can do for themselves, are responsible for every single action they make; just the same for me in my own actions and choices to make with-in the context of life.)

Thank you for the questions, take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @saisigh; God doesn't cause suffering (James 1:13-15). What causes suffering is suffering on behalf for Christ ~ Is when a believer is mocked, hated, persecuted (Matthew 5:44), because of having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. For the sake of Christ as believers ; are to deny ourselves (Matthew 16:24; Luke 9:23) as take up our cross, and die in baptism with Christ (Romans 6:3-6)dying to our fleshly ways (Galatians 5:19-20) and being resurrected spiritually with Christ (Romans 5, Romans 6, Galatians 2:20, Galatians 5) - As Christ raised from the dead we also; (Romans 8:11; Romans 8; 2 Corinthians 5:17) into new life which is spiritually and lived by walking in the spirit and allowing Christ Jesus to work in and through you by faith and trusting in God.

What is being talked about is the suffering for Christ Jesus - on behalf of our love for Him, because He loved us first; along with spiritual maturity.

If he doesn't then would you mind explaining and dissecting the verses I quoted if you don't mind

These are some of my thoughts on the topic.

Typically when something bad happens a Christian will say "God doesn't cause pain it's the devil" but how true is this?

To your question: Well... Us as human beings can cause suffering as internally and externally for ourselves, and others; by and through our own choices we decide to make in our soul; Not everyone has had a perfect life where they have no suffering in their life; that would be a lie.

Everyone has and goes through suffering and ups and downs in life ; and one of the only answers to have peace and be justified by and through the Lord Jesus Christ by faith and can have peace with God.

( I personally believe that the Devil/Satan has been defeated; and everyone for the most part whom are mentally well, and can do for themselves, are responsible for every single action they make; just the same for me in my own actions and choices to make with-in the context of life.)

Thank you for the questions, take care.

Reactions: MatthewG

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no doubt that God does "cause" direct and indirect suffering for His children. The Old Testament is full of such examples, with God's dealing with His people, the children of Israel. Hebrews 12:8, "But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons". 1 Peter 1:6-8, "Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, ye have been put to grief in manifold temptations, that the proof of your faith, [being] more precious than gold that perisheth though it is proved by fire, might be found unto praise and glory and honour at the revelation of Jesus Christ: whom not having seen ye love; on whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice greatly with joy unspeakable and full of glory"
Interesting and how do you connect this with the numerous verses calling him compassionate and merciful?

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a purpose for the suffering. So that we won't be forever babes, but rather battle tested faith warriors

James 2:2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

There is also a limit to the trials
1Cor 10: 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Most of our suffering is brought on by ourselves, our choices.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Following God is the path to the ultimate happiness. But that doesn't mean that there won't be pain points on the way there! Certainly, there will indeed be pain in life: pain from your/others wrong doings, pain for random events, trials placed by God, etc. Yes, God permits this, and ultimately turns it all to a person's good & growth.

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Following God is the path to the ultimate happiness. But that doesn't mean that there won't be pain points on the way there! Certainly, there will indeed be pain in life: pain from your/others wrong doings, pain for random events, trials placed by God, etc. Yes, God permits this, and ultimately turns it all to a person's good & growth.
So you... agree he does cause suffering?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how connect this with verses calling him kind, full of compassion and merciful?
One in the same.

As any good parent knows, loving & teaching children does involve those children going through some hard times.
In contrast, a poor parent whom instantly gives anything the second the kid asks for it is only raising an unhappy spoiled brat.

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One in the same.

As any good parent knows, loving & teaching children does involve those children going through some hard times.
In contrast, a poor parent whom instantly gives anything the second the kid asks for it is only raising an unhappy spoiled brat.
Yes but I'm sure you see the difference right? You as a parent would never kill, torture or inflict your child with sickness as part of hards times right? So I wouldn't say equate this to parenting so to speak

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but I'm sure you see the difference right? You as a parent would never kill, torture or inflict your child with sickness as part of hards times right? So I wouldn't say equate this to parenting so to speak
When I was 6, my mom knowingly sent me to play with a kid whom had chicken pox, so that I would get infected, sick, and then develop that immunity.

Was this evil of her? No! It was a caring parent whom sees the bigger picture than a little kid. God sees the much bigger picture.