God is the cause of suffering.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I was 6, my mom knowingly sent me to play with a kid whom had chicken pox, so that I would get infected, sick, and then develop that immunity.

Was this evil of her? No! It was a caring parent whom sees the bigger picture than a little kid. God sees the much bigger picture.
I can see the wisdom in that. The version of chicken pox for an adult is Shingles, and it is a much more painful condition, and gets more painful the older a person is who gets it. So, having chicken pox as a child where the symptoms are relatively mind prevents the person from getting the more painful form of the condition later in life.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God is gracious, compassionate and merciful. He loves every one of us without exception and without favorites. That love compels God and directs Him in all that He does, with them ultimate goal being our eternal life. But we are fallen creatures.
We have issues. Sin. Selfishness. Evil habits. Addictions. Sick attitudes. Poor characters. We love to hate. We hate to do good. In order to live in the company of God and holy angels all the above has to change. In other words, that fallen nature that is comprised of all the above, must die. And it hurts to die. And we have to die every day to all the crap that is inside us and makes us what we are, which we cherish, but needs to be let go of. Unbelief. Unforgiving Spirit. Desire for revenge. Hunger for retribution upon real and imagined hurts. We must die.
Yet God doesn't expect us to do it alone. In fact, He sent His Son to do it all before us that we might take hold of His power, His strength, His Divine nature that enables is to do the same.

God does not put us through anything He hasn't already experienced.

All suffering is for your good. Even work was ordained by God to change your character.

But. And this is a big but. Innocent people also suffer. The sin, the greed, and the selfishness of man brings suffering upon others. It isn't always God that inflicts suffering. We even inflict suffering upon ourselves. Smoking tobacco brings disease and death. A lifetime of suffering for many... Apart from the financial cost. One packet a day at over $30!!!! EACH!!!!! that's real suffering. And it affects your family as well.

Don't blame God for everything. It ain't His fault at all, and what comes from Him is always, always, for your good.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It seems that the Bible implies that God at times makes believers suffers on his own demand. Typically when something bad happens a Christian will say "God doesn't cause pain it's the devil" but how true is this?

Interesting and how do you connect this with the numerous verses calling him compassionate and merciful?
Hi saisigh,
You post a meaty question which has an equally meaty answer. If you are familiar with the parable of the sower you will recall that some of the seed fell on ground where it sprung up but was choked by weeds and thorns. These symbolised the cares and woes of the world that some hearers of the Word of God use as an excuse to backslide from faith in God. I think we have all been challenged in this area at times, and indeed the atheist argument that there is no God because if there was He would not allow suffering, is also a challenge Christians encounter from time to time.

Points to Note:
  • Suffering is a consequence of sin. Gen 3:14-24
  • God's grace is sufficient to meet the needs of His People. 2Cor 12:9
  • Christ is an example as a suffering servant who endures to secure victory. Heb 2:9-10
  • Paul lists numerous sufferings which serve to keep him humble. 2Cor 11:16-2Cor12:10
Rom 8:18-30 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which will be revealed toward us. (19) For the creation waits with eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. (20) For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but because of him who subjected it, in hope (21) that the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of decay into the liberty of the glory of the children of God. (22) For we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now. (23) Not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for adoption, the redemption of our body. (24) For we were saved in hope, but hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for that which he sees? (25) But if we hope for that which we don’t see, we wait for it with patience. (26) In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weaknesses, for we don’t know how to pray as we ought. But the Spirit himself makes intercession for us with groanings which can’t be uttered. (27) He who searches the hearts knows what is on the Spirit’s mind, because he makes intercession for the saints according to God. (28) We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. (29) For whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (30) Whom he predestined, those he also called. Whom he called, those he also justified. Whom he justified, those he also glorified.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that the Bible implies that God at times makes believers suffers on his own demand. Typically when something bad happens a Christian will say "God doesn't cause pain it's the devil" but how true is this?

Acts 9:16

I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."

Philippians 1:29

"For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him,"

1 Peter 4:19

So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

1 Peter 3:17

For it is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

suffering is caused by sin
Adams sin brought death

But Suffering is good for us cos of grace
Persecution purifies the faithful

Heb 2:9-10 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

He is our model in everything!

Christian suffering!

Patience Implies suffering!

In order to bear fruit we must deny ourself, suffer, and die!

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Verses of Christian suffering:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: