God is the cause of suffering.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
And how connect this with verses calling him kind, full of compassion and merciful?
Romans 8:28

Ethically what is good and evil doesn't correlate with what is comforting and suffering.

Example: Someone dies, but it provokes fear of death in another resulting in their turning their life to Christ.

God has compassion to reduce suffering, but also higher priorities. If distruction of the flesh will save the soul, the flesh may be handed over to the devil for destruction. Because the spirit has eternal value, but the flesh has no eternal value.

Reactions: Waiting on him

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a purpose for the suffering. So that we won't be forever babes, but rather battle tested faith warriors

James 2:2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

There is also a limit to the trials
1Cor 10: 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Most of our suffering is brought on by ourselves, our choices.

Would agree with this, as believers have trails, and various things that come in life; which produces a stronger faith - trust in God - trusting the Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:1-10)

Say suffering from losing a parent, friend, brother. ~ Something that can be learned from; though the only comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3) found is that of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ ~ Thankfully.

Say suffering from choices made in life ~ Something that can be learned from: Thankfully, God is love (1 John 4:7-21), merciful (Deuteronomy 4:31), and forgiving (John 3:15-20) ~ Thank God the Lord Jesus Christ paid for the sins (1 Timothy 2:6) of the entirety of the human population once and for all (Hebrews 9:28) on the Cross, bringing forth the (Matthew 5:17-20) fulling of the law and the prophets which were promised to becoming since the beginning to be fulfilled. ~ That anyone who believes can have (Romans 5:1-2) peace (Philippians 4:6-7), being justified by faith in and through the Lord Jesus Christ.

The thing is we must accept in the aspect of as human beings we are all responsible for how our soul is acting ~ which Jesus Christ and God Helps by - renewing our mind, and our hearts (Ephesians 4:23; Ezekiel 36:26; Ezekiel 11:19; Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10), and not being conformed to the world (Romans 12:2). Our soul - holds our Mind/Will/Emotion according to the Greeks.

Anyway just felt speaking a bit more, thank you for your post and time. Riverwalker.

Last edited:

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beacuse the God of the Bible is Just, He is Compassionate and Merciful, but also, actively punishes sinners. If God does not punish people, then what do you think hell is about?
Except suffering occurs outside of punishment you could be a "good" person and still suffer.

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:28

Ethically what is good and evil doesn't correlate with what is comforting and suffering.

Example: Someone dies, but it provokes fear of death in another resulting in their turning their life to Christ.

God has compassion to reduce suffering, but also higher priorities. If distruction of the flesh will save the soul, the flesh may be handed over to the devil for destruction. Because the spirit has eternal value, but the flesh has no eternal value.
So what do you make of someone who is considered "good" and tries to best not to sin but still suffers? They've already turned to Christ. Is it still God?

Reactions: Waiting on him

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can I ask the purpose of your thinking? You don't seem to know what the Bible says about God, in that He IS a "God of Vengence", not some pussy-cat
I didn't say God was scared not sure how you got that. The post was about does he cause suffering and you brought up how he punishes people. Punishment implies someone did something wrong and deserves that suffering. So I asked you what if a person doing wrong and still suffers is that from God?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
So what do you make of someone who is considered "good" and tries to best not to sin but still suffers? They've already turned to Christ. Is it still God?
If a Christian sins they still reap what they sow, like everyone else. Perhaps even more than if they were not Christian. I think it is sort of automatic, like if one commits a certain sin they become slaves to whatever demon tempted them. This can eventually lead to the formation of demonic strongholds within us. I believe anyone who submits to Christ will be fully liberated eventually. In which case the soul becomes a battleground.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say God was scared not sure how you got that. The post was about does he cause suffering and you brought up how he punishes people. Punishment implies someone did something wrong and deserves that suffering. So I asked you what if a person doing wrong and still suffers is that from God?
And that question has been answered: yes Christians still suffer. From thier/others wrong deeds, random events, and yes acts of God.

God is a good parent, one that encourages growth in His children, all things working to ultimate good. He sees the big picture that we do not.

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that question has been answered: yes Christians still suffer. From thier/others wrong deeds, random events, and yes acts of God.

God is a good parent, one that encourages growth in His children, all things working to ultimate good. He sees the big picture that we do not.
So when he is possibly causing affliction, pain and torture that is also intertwined with being merciful and having compassion? Or do those words have a different context with God and different than humans?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when he is possibly causing affliction, pain and torture that is also intertwined with being merciful and having compassion? Or do those words have a different context with God and different than humans?
Was my mom being cruel when she knowing exposed my 6 year old self chicken pox?

No!! It’s a bigger picture.

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was my mom being cruel when she knowing exposed my 6 year old self chicken pox?

No!! It’s a bigger picture.
I didn't answer this the first time because Chicken Pox poses no immediate danger to children and thus vastly different and secondly your mother wasn't the creator of Chicken Pots so it's not like she created the situation for you.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't answer this the first time because Chicken Pox poses no immediate danger to children and thus vastly different and secondly your mother wasn't the creator of Chicken Pots so it's not like she created the situation for you.
My mother knowingly & purposefully placed me into a situation where I would become sick and miserable. Yes, she knew I would make it through, and it would all be for my ultimate good.

My Father in Heaven likewise knowingly & purposefully placed me into a situation where I would become sick and miserable. Yes, He knew I would make it through, and it would all be for my ultimate good.

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother knowingly & purposefully placed me into a situation where I would become sick and miserable. Yes, she knew I would make it through, and it would all be for my ultimate good.

My Father in Heaven likewise knowingly & purposefully placed me into a situation where I would become sick and miserable. Yes, He knew I would make it through, and it would all be for my ultimate good.
So if you didn't make it through would it be fore your ultimate good and would that still be compassion and mercy?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if you didn't make it through would it be fore your ultimate good and would that still be compassion and mercy?
How would somebody not make it through when it comes to God?
Death? That's not the end. Suffering? Again, not the end. Loosing material goods? Totally not the end.

Like my mother & the chicken pox, God's actions are ultimately for our good & we'll make it through better than before.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suffering sucks but he uses it for our benefit. There is a reason behind it and it's not evil. The suffering we experience brings patience and spiritual maturity. And when we get to heaven we will realize that all the suffering we experienced doesn't compare to the glory the Lord and his heaven that we will get to enjoy, forever.:)

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

saisigh

May 20, 2021
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would somebody not make it through when it comes to God?
Death? That's not the end. Suffering? Again, not the end. Loosing material goods? Totally not the end.

Like my mother & the chicken pox, God's actions are ultimately for our good & we'll make it through better than before.
So then what was the point of inflicting the suffering? Your mother in your example exposed you to Chicken Pox (again which is no immediate danger to children but alright) to avoid you getting it as an adult. You see the clear benefits there and clearly she had no other choice but to do that unless you were alive when a vaccine was prepared. What is the ultimate benefits of suffering when it comes to God causing it. Your salvation is based on believing Jesus and God yes? So if you do suffer and don't make it how is it benefiting you and making you better? You already have salvation. That's why your comparison is factually inept. The difference is you can tell me the benefits of her exposing you but not of the latter.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then what was the point of inflicting the suffering? Your mother in your example exposed you to Chicken Pox (again which is no immediate danger to children but alright) to avoid you getting it as an adult. You see the clear benefits there and clearly she had no other choice but to do that unless you were alive when a vaccine was prepared. What is the ultimate benefits of suffering when it comes to God causing it. Your salvation is based on believing Jesus and God yes? So if you do suffer and don't make it how is it benefiting you and making you better? You already have salvation. That's why your comparison is factually inept. The difference is you can tell me the benefits of her exposing you but not of the latter.
A person's growth and spiritual maturity. Learning compassion. Learning true joy. Learning perspective. Etc.

Running with a personal example: in his early 30's my husband suddenly lost his eyesight. This was a source of hardship for him and our family -- lots of difficulties. But through it, both he & I grew much in spiritual/emotional maturity. We learned how to thoroughly depend on each other, know each other's strength & weaknesses, and work as one. We, being traditionally very independent folks, learned that it's ok to ask for help and let others serve us. We learned more compassion towards others, especially those with disabilities. Our young daughter learned more independence, as she needed to help daddy with some things or do them herself. We re-learned the importance of taking care of your health. And several years later, when surgery was able to restore my husband's sight, we were all the more appreciative of it.