God over free-will

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to reiterate my opening statement so as to keep the integrity of the topic intact. I seek to search the concept of human free-will in accordance with the sovereignty of God.

The reasoning of this subject is as such. It seems some in the church have this notion that God will not supersede man's free-will. I believe this to be false, and I believe scripture is in agreement with my assessment.

I think we have a clearly defined notion of free-will accepted throughout academia including the theological circles. I believe theologically we need to either disregard the notion of free-will for a more biblical notion of a limited-will or redefine free-will to mean something different than what we currently agree it to mean. I believe leaving things as a status-quo is misleading and leads to doctrinal errors that plague the church.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Or you could end up like John Piper said, and go crazy by following and training your mind to only see the truth threw the lens of total sovereignty.
He also quoted Spurgeon and I have already given you Spurgeons conclusion one can not exists with out the other. He also said it probably beyond our understanding but yet both spring from the same source.

Piper doesn't apparently believe that and chooses to drive himself and others crazy with the singular Calvin concept.

Reactions: Angelina

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rex said:
Or you could end up like John Piper said, and go crazy by following and training your mind to only see the truth threw the lens of total sovereignty.
He also quoted Spurgeon and I have already given you Spurgeons conclusion one can not exists with out the other. He also said it probably beyond our understanding but yet both spring from the same source.

Piper doesn't apparently believe that and chooses to drive himself and others crazy with the singular Calvin concept.
The funny thing is there is absolutely no "free-will" when it comes to the doctrines of predestination or election. Both of these are based solely on the decision of God.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
justaname said:
The funny thing is there is absolutely no "free-will" when it comes to the doctrines of predestination or election. Both of these are based solely on the decision of God.
I believe your traveling to far down the "free will" road Spurgen does a much better job than me stating the case.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/17376-god-over-free-will/page-3#entry180536

The actual cleansing or regeneration of the heart and mind is outside mans ability I agree. But from the very being all threw scripture we see a point where as God comes close to men a choice is made "by man" It can not be ignored any more than the sovereignty of God. If you choose to hold a hand over one eye in your pursuit of a greater understanding of God that is your choice as well.

Gen 4:6
6 So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

And I thought you placed the doctrines of predestination or election off the table?
I have already to the best of my ability given an explanation of them.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/17376-god-over-free-will/page-4#entry180671

here is the audio teaching of Spurgen If some want to listen instead of reading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jza0f_VPG7M&feature=player_embedded

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
justaname said:
As I asked earlier. What was the criteria God used therefore, to decide who would be destined for one thing and who for another? If a man's free will is out of the criteria, then we are left with God choosing based on what? A coin toss? Random selection?

In the meantime... I don't care to argue just what free will actually is. What I do see in scripture, however, is that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himsef, but then added a condition that we are to go out on Christ's behalf and plead (NKJ) with the world to be reconciled to God (2Cor.5:19,20), indicating that God is requiring a response and is not forcing it upon individuals but rather asking/pleading for it. If this is not in the category of free will, fine. But if you want to convince myself and others of your position, I respectfully ask you explain this text...and my apology if you have and I somehow missed it.
thank you for your earlier reply and clarifications, Howie

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Howie,

I actually organized my I ideas and reposted them in a different thread called "Free-will take two." And similarly how you don't care what free-will actually is I don't care to discuss why God elected some and not others, but for your sake I will post this.

Romans 9:11

11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,

Romans 9:19-22

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?”
20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it?
21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?
22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
justaname said:
Howie,

I actually organized my I ideas and reposted them in a different thread called "Free-will take two." And similarly how you don't care what free-will actually is I don't care to discuss why God elected some and not others, but for your sake I will post this.

Romans 9:11

11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,

Romans 9:19-22

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?”
20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it?
21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?
22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify. I did not say I don't care what free will actually is. My intention was to, for the moment, merely observe man's interaction with God, and vice versa without attaching labels to it. My bad for not wording it that way.

But it comes as no surprise to me that this seemed a convenient reason for you to avoid replying to my request as to why God has elected some and not others. You see, I believe that this is revealed in scripture. I shared a passage to that effect, to which I see you have no intention of explaining to me, as to how it fits in with your conclusions. This does nothing for me but cause suspicion, my friend.

As for the passages you have showed me, they do not amount to the conclusions you have drawn. The question.."why did you make me like this?" does not mean anything unless the words "like this" are explained, which they are not. Like what? A sinner? The answer is that God did not actually make us sinners. Adam did. I see no reply from God in that passage that admits anything.
But what did the potter actually make? He made Adam, and then promptly gave him a command to avoid a certain tree. Funny thing is that Adam had the ability and the prerogative to disobey the command. This is not free will?

And this thus became the lump that reproduced and filled the earth. Adam reproduced after his own kind, just like all of life does. And out of that lump that multiplied, were they not of the same mental capacity to go on certain paths? And out of God's foreknowledge would He not have know that some would end up as vessels of wrath and others vessels for honorable use? How do we conclude that He needed to orchestrate the outcome of each vessel that came out of a womb? The passage does not say that. It merely says that we have no right to question any of these things and blame God for them.

If a sinner refuses to be reconclied, he therefore becomes a vessel of wrath, which God would have had foreknowledge of, and therefore prepared this one for destruction. If another accepts the free gift of life, he would become a vessel for honorable use. God has the right to make these determinations. This is His authority and sovereignty in action. People always want to point the finger back at God, as Adam did when he said that the woman You gave me caused me to eat. This is what the passage you shared is talking about. Blaming God. In fact, why not ask God "why did you make me with this free will? It's your fault."

You see, there is way more than just one way to look at a passage. But when we look at all the bible we can see man going his own way over and over and God dealing with him. But in no way, shape, or form is there a rule of thumb concerning His actions and decisions in individual cases. But this is precisely what I see here. The attemtp to create a solid clad "rule of thumb" doctrine from a few examples while ignoring other examples that contradict the same rule of thumb. The bible says..many are called but few are chosen. In some cases God honors a man's choices and in others He intervenes. Is this too hard to accept?