Godless chatter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
2 Tim 2:16-18 NIV Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17 Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Interesting. Were false teachings considered godless chatter, or did godless chatter lead to the false teaching?

thirdeyezero

Aug 27, 2015
ATP said:
2 Tim 2:16-18 NIV Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17 Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.
9781846462252.jpg

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Note the difference between the NIV and the following KJV

16: But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17: And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18: Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

The meaning questioned seems much clearer in the KJV.

thirdeyezero

Aug 27, 2015
DPMartin said:
Note the difference between the NIV and the following KJV

16: But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17: And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18: Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

The meaning questioned seems much clearer in the KJV.
KJV rules!

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
A little out topic but could someone explain.
"Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."

A few pastors I had meant said the resurrection is past already. In a sense that Jesus had done suffering and is now glorified.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
davidnelson said:
A little out topic but could someone explain.
"Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."

A few pastors I had meant said the resurrection is past already. In a sense that Jesus had done suffering and is now glorified.
Paul doesn’t go into what they are basing their theology of the "resurrection has passed" that seems to be a teaching Paul and the rest had to deal with, but your question seems unexpected seeing it’s predominant in most Christian denominations that the resurrection is yet to come or be fulfilled in us. I mean that’s the whole point of waiting for the return of Christ in the Christian view? What could possibly be the reason for waiting if you are already hopelessly out of the picture, so to speak?

Jesus has risen for sure but what Paul is talking about is the resurrection promised to us by the Lord Jesus in the Lord Jesus Christ. That hasn’t come to pass yet. Jesus is the first for a whole host of reasons in the will of God, that you will discover as you read scripture. If you go into the section on this site that discusses prophesy, you will find many trying to figure out when the resurrection of God’s People promised in Christ shall come to pass in the order of things prophesied.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Have no idea what I just asking to be honest. Now that I had read what I wrote I don't understand what I was even typing... It's 2 a.m. here...