God's Gift of Tongues Not for Private Use

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you.

Went to a church that had charismatic or speaking in tongues people, like this a few times in my life, it was scary. I don’t believe that the way people portrays speaking in tongues is always biblical when people have been taught by a tradition of something that is not truth.

In love, peace, kindness, patience, of Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

It is very clear what tongues is though if you read through the book of acts and you read through the scripture. I believe people can speak prophecy’s (however that is in the meaning of edification and teaching (by the spirit) if that is how it so defined in the concordance).

(Just my two cents.) I’m always capable of being wrong.

In joy, kindness, forbearance, peace, gentleness, of Christ,

Matthew Gallagher

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perception is relative to the observer and not a sound basis for judgment. We're doing pretty well so far in this thread, so let peace dwell and love rule. Okay brother?

I understand and yet there is this for why I had thought that was cold for saying because we are to care for one another in the assembly.

1 Corinthians 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

If Paul ignored how that assembly was doing tongues in his day, we probably would not have any thing about the gifts of the Spirit in His operations in the assembly, and yet we do.

You are my brother and I am not calling you cold but what you said seems kind of cold.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think prayer should be normally in our own tongue and with understanding. We are , after all, attempting to align our desire with God's will in prayer. However, as the Apostle said, we don't always know how we should pray and in this instance, the spirit prays for us and in inexpressible ways.

Now in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; Romans 8:26

If we're confident in our relationship to Him, I don't see why we should limit His expression to our understanding.

Not all Bible versions reads the same, thus the truth can be missing as found not aligning with truth in other scripture like in John 16:13

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. KJV

All Bibles testify to this truth in John 16:13 that the Holy Spirit cannot speak from Himself but speaks what He hears.

So there is no way the Holy Spirit can use tongues for His own use by praying for us out loud to God when God's gift of tongues are of other men's lips to speak unto the people as by the law & the prophets 1 Corinthians 14:21. So read your reference in the KJV.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. KJV

That means not even His groanings can be uttered; hence no sound at all

27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. KJV

This "he" is Jesus Christ as He is the One that searches our hearts of Whom we have to answer to. Hebrews 4:12-16 as this is the "he" that knows the mind of the Spirit to give the Spirit's silent intercessions to the Father which is in according to the will of God of there being only One Mediator between God & men, the man Christ Jesus 1 Timothy 2:5

This is so because Jesus that searches our hearts will give our prayer requests before we even ask, and give the Spirit's silent intercessions by knowing His mind & He has His own intercessions for us ( Hebrews 7:25 )to give to the Father so which ever intercession the father agrees to, the Son answers the prayers so that the Father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

That is how in Matthew 6:7-8 the Father knows everything before we even ask and that is why it is totally unnecessary for the Holy Spirit to turn God's gift of tongues around from speaking unto the people, to be speaking or praying back to God.

Romans 8:26-27 is for all believers for why that should not nor can it ever be applied to God's gift of tongues.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand and yet there is this for why I had thought that was cold for saying because we are to care for one another in the assembly.

1 Corinthians 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

If Paul ignored how that assembly was doing tongues in his day, we probably would not have any thing about the gifts of the Spirit in His operations in the assembly, and yet we do.

You are my brother and I am not calling you cold but what you said seems kind of cold.
I'm definitely not the warm fuzzy type, but God has never required that. While Agape engages feeling it is not an emotion, but an action (a choice to be charitable). We stumble when we mistake it for the English translation as "love." That translation is unfortunate as it's been abused widely by cultists interested in nothing more than fornication and the physical expression of intimacy.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm definitely not the warm fuzzy type, but God has never required that. While Agape engages feeling it is not an emotion, but an action (a choice to be charitable). We stumble when we mistake it for the English translation as "love." That translation is unfortunate as it's been abused widely by cultists interested in nothing more than fornication and the physical expression of intimacy.

I can understand why you would not be led to correct them if a lot of believers were doing it in the assembly, and especially those in charge allow this to happen.

I find it hard to love my enemies when they are provoking me by defrauding me and ruining my life by turning fellow employees against me to make me quit, and getting people mad at me or being ornery towards me in just about every place I go to, from the family doctor, to the dentist, to the theaters, to restaurants, safety inspection stations, car dealerships, to churches, and even Wal-Mart and so Jesus is helping me to lay my life down for them as He did for me while I was yet a sinner. It is easy to be vengeful towards them when they are not sorry but we are not to let the sun go down on our anger and He is enabling me to follow His example to forgive them for they know not what they do, but I find it intolerable to be around them as it is not possible for me as it does lie with me, to be at peace with those people, but Jesus still carries me through when I have to.

His grace is sufficient for me as His power is made great in my weakness. I do thank the Father in Jesus's name for keeping me as His friend.

I hope in Him I am leaving this world soon, be it by the rapture or an unforeseen death; nevertheless let it by the Father's will & not my own.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe God's gifts will be used as he sees fit. Gibberish claimed to be tongues is not among them.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems kind of cold saying that. Paul did not let that slide when there is supposed to be decency and order in the assembly.

Seems cold to you perhaps, but that is of no importance to me. I speak directly to God in the prayer language that He gave me.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues for private use has bene gained by another calling and thus another gospel when saved believers seek after another baptism with the "holy Ghost" with evidence of tongues or by that sign of tongues as that calling used to be known by.

This is apostasy; this is the falling away from the faith prophesied; 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 & 2 Corinthians 13:5 & 1 Timothy 4:1 & Isaiah 8:19

Your disbelief is of no concern to me, nor are your out-of-context verses. I speak in the language that God gave me when I was saved and healed. I simply asked him for my prayer language and He gave it to me -- a true gift of the Spirit! It is how I -- or really the Spirit within me -- communicates with my heavenly Father.

"It is written in the law: “By people with strange tongues and by the lips of strangers I will speak to this people, yet not even in this way will they listen to me,” says the Lord." 1 Corinthians 14:21

BTW, can you spell 'jealously'?

Last edited:

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your disbelief is of no concern to me, nor are your out-of-context verses. I speak in the language that God gave me when I was saved and healed. I simply asked him for my prayer language and He gave it to me -- a true gift of the Spirit! It is how I -- or really the Spirit within me -- communicates with my heavenly Father.

"It is written in the law: “By people with strange tongues and by the lips of strangers I will speak to this people, yet not even in this way will they listen to me,” says the Lord." 1 Corinthians 14:21

:( Before or after you spell, pride and hubris? It seems to me you boast overmuch and think others are jealous.
Is that a gift?

Reactions: Christ4Me

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your real issue?

You are making such a big deal about tongues when Paul never posed such condmenations as you do. I am sure he knew of pagan glossolalia. He was simply giving instructions on the proper how to for tongues! Corinth was a hot bed of paganism and debauchery.

Pagan glossolalia was before Pentecost and for sinners to repent in coming to Christ & the church from that is why God's gift of tongues cannot also be that

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perception is relative to the observer and not a sound basis for judgment. We're doing pretty well so far in this thread, so let peace dwell and love rule. Okay brother?

God's judgment is what counts and since pagan glossolalia was before Pentecost and for sinners to repent in coming to Christ & the church from that is why God's gift of tongues cannot also be that.

John 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Discern this with Him now.

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

Suddenly, God's gift of tongues can also sound like that? That which was of evil in the occult can now be good for believers? His words would say no way for how can we prove all things and abstain from all appearances of evil if God made the occult tongue an option for His gift of tongue also?

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not when I can pray just fine without tongues to the Lord so that when I get an answer from the Lord I can give the Father thanks in Jesus's name.

You cannot know what that tongue is doing when you speak in tongues for private use; self edification? Holy Spirit praying? Praising God in worship? How does that not make God the author for confusion but you do not see it that way at all because you just like that supernatural tongue.

Try praying normally next time and maybe you will get an answer to prayer to give the Father thanks in Jesus's name for answers to prayers that you know you had prayed for in Jesus's name.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can understand why you would not be led to correct them if a lot of believers were doing it in the assembly, and especially those in charge allow this to happen.

I find it hard to love my enemies when they are provoking me by defrauding me and ruining my life by turning fellow employees against me to make me quit, and getting people mad at me or being ornery towards me in just about every place I go to, from the family doctor, to the dentist, to the theaters, to restaurants, safety inspection stations, car dealerships, to churches, and even Wal-Mart and so Jesus is helping me to lay my life down for them as He did for me while I was yet a sinner. It is easy to be vengeful towards them when they are not sorry but we are not to let the sun go down on our anger and He is enabling me to follow His example to forgive them for they know not what they do, but I find it intolerable to be around them as it is not possible for me as it does lie with me, to be at peace with those people, but Jesus still carries me through when I have to.

His grace is sufficient for me as His power is made great in my weakness. I do thank the Father in Jesus's name for keeping me as His friend.

I hope in Him I am leaving this world soon, be it by the rapture or an unforeseen death; nevertheless let it by the Father's will & not my own.
I understand the way that you feel but forgiving your enemies is entirely possible, not by our efforts, but by the power of God in us. You're being tested. You'll continue to be tested until you learn how to respond to evil attacks with mercy, kindness, and love.

Christian virtue is the fruit of the spirit and like real fruit, takes time to grow and remaining in His commandment, abiding in Him and His word. If you do well, even your enemies will eventually approve your behavior.

This is in part the exercise of learning humility. It's very difficult to admit being wrong about something, but it's even harder to be "in the right" but submit to unrighteous treatment for the sake of a good conscience toward God.

If you have the opportunity to hear or read the personal testimony of Corrie ten Boom, you'll understand what God Is able to work in our hearts. She was witness to the abuses of a Nazi camp guard responsible in part for the death of family members, who later approached her for forgiveness. The idea repulsed her, but God was greater than her desire for vengeance. It's a powerful and true story. God can do for us and in us what we can't do for ourselves, and does so through prayer.

Don't be discouraged by life. Man was made for trouble "as the sparks fly upward." But God is greater than our troubles. He's greater than our sin. Just trust Him and walk on in faith.

The trick is to be less concerned about changing others, and more concerned with letting the Lord change us. It's a process that isn't always pleasant, but can be in time. Everything in life has it's season and there is a purpose to all things under heaven. Amen.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's judgment is what counts and since pagan glossolalia was before Pentecost and for sinners to repent in coming to Christ & the church from that is why God's gift of tongues cannot also be that.

John 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

Discern this with Him now.

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

Suddenly, God's gift of tongues can also sound like that? That which was of evil in the occult can now be good for believers? His words would say no way for how can we prove all things and abstain from all appearances of evil if God made the occult tongue an option for His gift of tongue also?
Actually the Church's judgment counts too. God judges those outside, the church is to discipline those inside, but with the goal of restoration to fellowship, not condemnation. However, some seemed to have missed those passages of scripture.

I find church fellowship frequently an exercise in forgiveness, but less so as we move toward maturity. That's a process over time and there are no shortcuts. As some say "ya' can't get there from here." Patience is a perfected work in us and as the word implies, takes time.

There's always pain associated with taking up your cross, and it really isn't optional in Christ, but a fellowship with Him in His suffering, a closer walk that changes us forever.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Praying in the spirit is praying in tongues.

You can’t pray always in church, because most of the week you’re not in church.

Reactions: Rita

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the other gifts has not ceased yet, like prophesying which is edifying one another by the scriptures. I do not see the need for tongues with interpretation when a believer is in an assembly where they all speak the same language with the written scripture available for us, but God could still use that gift of tongues in outward ministry and in assemblies in remote places where foreigners are among them where there is no Bible available yet. His ministry has not ceased but God is not vain to manifest tongues with interpretation in an assembly where every one speaks the same language when the whole purpose is to edify the body of believers as a whole. 1 Corinthians 12:7

Anyway, there is cause for reservation, but yes, I agree that in America, when we all speak the same language in the assembly and has the written scripture available to us, I see no need for tongues with interpretation, but whenever a scripture pops into our heads to edify one another, that to me is the gift of prophesy as the Holy spirit is bringing into remembrance of all He has said to us through His written word.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The Holy Spirit will hear the words of Christ and share them with us and since His words are found in scripture, He will be relaying His words from scripture too.

So the gift of prophesy is active but I can still give pause that He may be using the gift of tongues with interpretation in remote assemblies where the written scripture is not available nor every one is speaking the same language in that assembly since the Lord wants to edify the whole assembly.

The Lord may still be using some missionaries in doing outreach ministry in remote places.

But when Pentecostals / Charismatics testify of any tongue in those incidences as being gained by the Holy Spirit coming over those believers "again" apart from salvation, I discount those testimonies as either fake or another example of how bad the signs of the times are when believers in remote places are also being led astray to seek after the Holy Spirit by a sign of that tongue for private use too.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

2 Corinthians 11:1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Of course prophecy is not the same as then Chris, but you are correct, that is how we receive the understanding. Jesus said he would feed us through the faithful slave during these last days, I can attest they feed us well. Mat 24:45-47

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know who "we" is, but if you believe the gifts of the spirit ended with the death of the apostles and the completing of the Bible, you're wrong. I was healed by a female pastor praying to Jesus for that purpose and received my personal prayer language -- "tongues" -- immediately thereafter. If you disagree, that's okay, but I know and experienced what actually happened to me.

I don't know any way to say this that does not sound harsh Jim, and for that I apologize, The Bible states: (1 Corinthians 13:8-10) . . .if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially, 10 but when what is complete comes, what is partial will be done away with.

the key is who is behind it sir. satan only has power over satan, Christs disciples had the gift of healing, meaning they could heal every infirmity, whereas that is no longer a reality, but if an infirmity is the result of demon possession, then certainly that can be cured today. I know that sounds rude, and I am simply ignorant on how to sugar coat it, but please consider researching it

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Seventh Day Adventist do not employ tongues!!!!!!!! Our church teaches that tongues are a real language, not what is expressed today. It was given to the apostles to preach the Word, so people could hear the Good News in their own language. Not really needed today.

From google: " Seventh-day Adventists believe that the spiritual gifts such as "speaking in tongues" are used to communicate the truth to other people from differing languages, and are skeptical of tongues as practiced by charismatic and Pentecostal Christians today."

I'd bet Jehovah's witnesses don't speak in tongues either, and maybe not Mormons @Robert Gwin , and @Jane_Doe22 , what do you say?
No maam, we do not. We believe it is satanic, and there is no longer a need for it, as the Bible is complete, and available to most everyone on earth.

Reactions: Cassandra