Gods Standard is...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hahaha...Like I said earlier, yes - we have "dominion" not "control" IMO. I thought God was in control?? :)
hmm. So, unfort choice of terms maybe, dominion, control, but note that you say you have dominion, yet you are faced with either/or choices every day, and i guess apparently anyway feel (think) as though nothing you do matters, somehow, or i might be characterizing that incorrectly; i never did quite get the point of our other discussion, even after you stated your point, wadr, which was after all that "the obvious?" And in conflict with your opening argument/statement? Which i maybe just misunderstood, dunno.
Anyway, ok, good talking atchya! :)

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and He will do what?
why, if God is going to do "it?"
sometimes maybe, preferable to directing, sure, but what are you waiting for, if i may ask? Trust God for...what?

Fwiw our perception of this undefined "waiting patiently" which i know where you read that is maybe at odds with vv about today which are admittedly much briefer and more occluded even; but i could suggest a good reason for that i think

Go and proclaim the Gospel to the world
You won't run out of towns before I come

rather strange thing to say to newbies on their first exercise, innit?

And He will do EVERYTHING. See that you have enough temporally, change your mind about a lot of things, change your heart, guide your steps so you don't even really HAVE to always be asking Him which job you should take or where you should live, etc. Because it is the obedience of trust to believe Him when He says: a man may make his plans, but it is God who guides his steps.

As to your question regarding cultivating faithfulness: why, if God is going to do it? Because once He has shown us a place where we aren't trusting, we struggle through it and with it and have tests of our trust (faith,) and pray for help with our lack and this causes our trust to grow and we become more firm in it when we learn that obedience of trust.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm. So, unfort choice of terms maybe, dominion, control, but note that you say you have dominion, yet you are faced with either/or choices every day, and i guess apparently anyway feel (think) as though nothing you do matters, somehow, or i might be characterizing that incorrectly; i never did quite get the point of our other discussion, even after you stated your point, wadr, which was after all that "the obvious?" And in conflict with your opening argument/statement? Which i maybe just misunderstood, dunno.
Anyway, ok, good talking atchya! :)

Well, this conv. was all over the place and, MUCH was lost in translation! I'm thinking, much lost in "mis-understanding/intention" too? JMHO

Reactions: bbyrd009

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, this conv. was all over the place and, MUCH was lost in translation! I'm thinking, much lost in "mis-understanding/intention" too? JMHO

Whuut...? A conversation with Bbyrd that's all over the place? Whatever are you talking about?? :D:D:D:D:D

B

brakelite

And He will do EVERYTHING. See that you have enough temporally, change your mind about a lot of things, change your heart, guide your steps so you don't even really HAVE to always be asking Him which job you should take or where you should live, etc. Because it is the obedience of trust to believe Him when He says: a man may make his plans, but it is God who guides his steps.

As to your question regarding cultivating faithfulness: why, if God is going to do it? Because once He has shown us a place where we aren't trusting, we struggle through it and with it and have tests of our trust (faith,) and pray for help with our lack and this causes our trust to grow and we become more firm in it when we learn that obedience of trust.
It never takes too long before one Cynthia to a stark revelation that he had moved somewhere he shouldn't. What often takes a long time is getting back to where you should have been all along. And only with God's help to extricate oneself out of the mess he's got himself into.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I quite liked that, at first read! Some stuff is leaking out tho, to me anyway, so some questions to maybe ponder,
Why will you "do" anything today, if God will do everything? What is your purpose?
If you are oh say cancerous, or diabetic, or have gut or skin issues--particularly the first three but i guess all four will kill you--my Q is what about those believers who obv suffer lack, yet appear to have much belief? Say someone like an Aspen or a ViJ? Bc going by the first statement, God has done that to/for them, yes?

Change your mind about a lot of things? Do you think that honors the intent there?
How does that reflect Change your mind and become like a little child" iyo?
Iow that now seems like a way to avoid really changing your mind; although it also maybe describes the process too, only imo it can also only too easily become...the top step on that ladder, rather than the bottom one?

I dunno if changing your mind about "things" is...well, maybe you could rephrase that, see bc "things" are what i had for breakfast, that i could have "changed my mind" if i had wanted, even though as you say God does everything, even feeding me breakfast? If i had changed my mind about what to eat for breakfast would i have been sinning?

Doesn't God change our hearts, if they change? Hey and what about that heart of flesh, huh? Pretty sure i could say that to many believers, "you have a heart of flesh," and prolly get stoned for it i bet?
Flesh?

See i'm hearing "God does everything," but then you immediately say that i should do this and that, change my mind about things, change my own heart, guide my own steps even, which i sorta don't disagree even, but these are coming in as contrary to the first thing imo.
Which job you should take?

Why are you working for food if God does everything?

well, sounds good, but i note faith and trust are conflated right away, when...they are two different roots, right? Even if they do share a synonym, sure, but they also more likely do not imo. Faith is not trust, iow, at least imo. Now belief is trust i guess...yup, except for that one of the five, Abe's belief was conditional apparently, and i get the sense anyway that that is not ezackly trust, "I believe you for now, and we'll see" or similar, but anyway, do you see any diff at all in faith and trust/belief? Ever? Can you Quote any conflation of faith and trust in Scripture, and by that i mean "faith = trust?" What I'm trying to get at is that you can have all the trust in the world, and yet have no faith, imo

What is the Nietzsche quote..."Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
Why does this so often seem to manifest among Christian believers, do you think?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well, we could go back to the opening, i guess where i first um accosted you, and see i guess. The worms come out when the wood is turned over, yeh? Bam if you think i was deflecting or anything back there pls quote it and let's see :)

Been pondering the "divinity" Q btw, and i guess it's just too subjective a concept to really give any meaningful reply maybe

di·vine1
/dəˈvīn/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of, from, or like God or a god.
    "heroes with divine powers"
    synonyms: godly, godlike, angelic, seraphic, saintly, beatific; More

2. 2.
    INFORMAL
    excellent; delightful.
    "he had the most divine smile"
    synonyms: lovely, handsome, beautiful, good-looking, prepossessing, charming, delightful, appealing, engaging, winsome, ravishing, gorgeous, bewitching, beguiling; More
noun
  1. 1.
    DATED
    a cleric or theologian.
    synonyms: theologian, clergyman, member of the clergy, churchman, churchwoman, cleric, ecclesiastic, man of the cloth, man of God, holy man, holy woman, preacher, priest; More

2. 2.
    providence or God.

I mean pls satan becomes divine in at least one render lol

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Whuut...? A conversation with Bbyrd that's all over the place? Whatever are you talking about?? :D:D:D:D:D
Well, lemme know who appears to be changing the subject, if any, ok? As i am involved i would not be able to judge there. Y'all have a nice day

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, we could go back to the opening, i guess where i first um accosted you, and see i guess. The worms come out when the wood is turned over, yeh? Bam if you think i was deflecting or anything back there pls quote it and let's see :)

Been pondering the "divinity" Q btw, and i guess it's just too subjective a concept to really give any meaningful reply maybe

di·vine1
/dəˈvīn/
adjective
  1. 1.
    of, from, or like God or a god.
    "heroes with divine powers"
    synonyms: godly, godlike, angelic, seraphic, saintly, beatific; More

2. 2.
    INFORMAL
    excellent; delightful.
    "he had the most divine smile"
    synonyms: lovely, handsome, beautiful, good-looking, prepossessing, charming, delightful, appealing, engaging, winsome, ravishing, gorgeous, bewitching, beguiling; More
noun
  1. 1.
    DATED
    a cleric or theologian.
    synonyms: theologian, clergyman, member of the clergy, churchman, churchwoman, cleric, ecclesiastic, man of the cloth, man of God, holy man, holy woman, preacher, priest; More

2. 2.
    providence or God.

I mean pls satan becomes divine in at least one render lol
I wouldn't even be able to "quote" anything as, it doesn't take a whole lot to confule me :oops: And which would you place Satan in? 1, 2 or 3??

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quite liked that, at first read! Some stuff is leaking out tho, to me anyway, so some questions to maybe ponder,
Why will you "do" anything today, if God will do everything? What is your purpose?
If you are oh say cancerous, or diabetic, or have gut or skin issues--particularly the first three but i guess all four will kill you--my Q is what about those believers who obv suffer lack, yet appear to have much belief? Say someone like an Aspen or a ViJ? Bc going by the first statement, God has done that to/for them, yes?

Change your mind about a lot of things? Do you think that honors the intent there?
Iow that now seems like a way to avoid really changing your mind; although it also maybe describes the process too, only imo it can also only too easily become...the top step on that ladder, rather than the bottom one?

I dunno if changing your mind about "things" is...well, maybe you could rephrase that, see bc "things" are what i had for breakfast, that i could have "changed my mind" if i had wanted, even though as you say God does everything, even feeding me breakfast? If i had changed my mind about what to eat for breakfast would i have been sinning?

Doesn't God change our hearts, if they change? Hey and what about that heart of flesh, huh? Pretty sure i could say that to many believers, "you have a heart of flesh," and prolly get stoned for it i bet?
Flesh?

See i'm hearing "God does everything," but then you immediately say that i should do this and that, change my mind about things, change my own heart, guide my own steps even, which i sorta don't disagree even, but these are coming in as contrary to the first thing imo.

well, sounds good, but i note faith and trust are conflated right away, when...they are two different roots, right? Even if they do share a synonym, sure, but they also more likely do not imo. Faith is not trust, iow, at least imo. Now belief is trust i guess...yup, except for that one of the five, Abe's belief was conditional apparently, and i get the sense anyway that that is not ezackly trust, "I believe you for now, and we'll see" or similar, but anyway, do you see any diff at all in faith and trust/belief? Ever? Can you Quote any conflation of faith and trust in Scripture, and by that i mean "faith = trust?" What I'm trying to get at is that you can have all the trust in the world, and yet have no faith, imo

Good morning, I was waiting for you! Had you been in my house, I would have been clanking pans around in the kitchen hoping to wake you! :D

Why will I do anything today if God will do everything, what is my purpose?

Well...blessed by God are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness in their heart and mind. He has blessed me with this hunger, and I...hmm...I don't know why I strive to trust more and better...I just have the hunger to be good, to do good, in my heart. I want to be pleasing to Him and I want to not be odious to myself. I also see what good trusting Him brings me. I see what good it brings me to stop worrying about everything and just trust Him as He has asked. So I guess there is some selfishness in me that desires that rest from the world and my tyrranical self. And yet...that's what He WANTS- for me to trust Him. He WANTS that rest for me. He WANTS me to depend completely on Him.

For your next question, I don't think that physical suffering, like your example of cancer, is to suffer lack. Ask the men and women who say they THANK God for having gone through cancer or physical ailments. They have suffered physically and they say it got them the rest of the way there in trusting. And since there is nothing more precious than our trust (faith :)), since it is the greatest thing we have, how have those men and women suffered lack? They consider that to be temporary and to be nothing compared to eternity with the one they love.

Can't say I understand your next question...changing my mind about what to have for breakfast is not the same as changing my mind about say...getting mad at someone in the house for a selfishness, once I see that I have my own selfishnesses. (That doesn't make me suddenly unselfish, but its a first step to see the truth about myself and the second step is to say, yes, I see Lord, and to then pray for what I lack.

Concerning which job I should take, if I ask Him and I only get crickets, I tell Him I will make the decision and just believe Him that He guides my steps. And even if it later appears to my eyes to have been a mistake on my part, I don't bother myself about it and fuss over it. I just go on and say: He guides my steps. Its akin to...my God can save me, and even if He doesn't, even if He slays me, I will still trust Him.

Your next question - why am I working for food if God does everything? During the years when I couldn't find a single person to hire me for anything, not even a fast food joint or the Dollar Store, I finally gave up trying to find a job and said: Lord, you say if a man doesn't work he shouldn't be fed. Where is the work You will give me to do with my hands? ( I actually asked it loudly and in some frustration and anger!) Within a few days, He answered me by my circumstances. But there's another layer there, because I cannot then start trusting money to feed me because if the money doesn't seem to come, I have to have the obedience of trust that He can make my shoes last for 40 years or sew up the hole in my pocket and stretch what I have. If He can make a fish and a loaf of bread feed thousands or hundreds of men, then He can surely do it for me.

I was not saying I should change my heart. That's impossible for me. I just agree with Him when He shows me what's in it instead of making excuses and slapping up fig leaves. Once we are walking in agreement of what is true, I pray for what I see I need (its always more humility in my case it seems), but I just pray and wait.

Did I answer them all?

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Flesh?

What is the Nietzsche quote..."Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
Why does this so often seem to manifest among Christian believers, do you think?

Oh I forgot your last question! Suppose you were my husband and we had five kids and for some reason I...could not work. And suppose you said to me, don't worry, we will be okay, I have this job and we will be okay! Then suppose I said to you, I do have faith that you will take care of us and provide for us, I just don't TRUST that you will?

In other words, what the heck have I really just said if I say: I have faith in you, I just don't trust you??

Reactions: faithfulness

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well...blessed by God are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness in their heart and mind. He has blessed me with this hunger, and I...hmm...I don't know why I strive to trust more and better...I just have the hunger to be good, to do good, in my heart
Sure, i get that, and i am going to post as hard as i can to attempt to get you to stop, right after a little break, ok. Pls reflect on "God does everything" and "I just have a hunger...to do good" up there if you will, not meaning to disagree with either, but to illuminate...a possible conflict. Which you maybe addressed already. Ok brb

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, i get that, and i am going to post as hard as i can to attempt to get you to stop, right after a little break, ok. Pls reflect on "God does everything" and "I just have a hunger...to do good" up there if you will, not meaning to disagree with either, but to illuminate...a possible conflict. Which you maybe addressed already. Ok brb

If you think I'm needing to stop something I'm doing, I'm all wax filled ears! :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My entire existence it seems, has become to see where I'm still not trusting a certain thing He's said, some sneaky little end around I've constructed, and pulling it down.

I used to spend a lot of time with theological issues, but I think they mostly distracted me from all the ways I say I trust even though I'm proving I don't!!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My entire existence it seems, has become to see where I'm still not trusting a certain thing He's said, some sneaky little end around I've constructed, and pulling it down.

I used to spend a lot of time with theological issues, but I think they mostly distracted me from all the ways I say I trust even though I'm proving I don't!!

I mean, what kind of serious fracture is it in a man that he would say, I have great faith in God and I know He will raise me up and give me a new body and I will live with Him forever, and then to worry about how I will pay the mortgage or fix the car??

I believe for the humongous thing and then worry about the smaller thing?

If you won't trust Me about an earthly thing, how will I tell you about heavenly things?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean, what kind of serious fracture is it in a man that he would say, I have great faith in God and I know He will raise me up and give me a new body and I will live with Him forever, and then to worry about how I will pay the mortgage or fix the car??

I believe for the humongous thing and then worry about the smaller thing?

If you won't trust Me about an earthly thing, how will I tell you about heavenly things?
Ahh, sure been there! Thought I would have to walk away from my house as, I saw NO other way...and with 3 dogs to boot! He brought me to my face, literally! He came through out of the blue! (Sry @bbyrd009 :D ) and He was not too late or too early but, just. on time ♥. Four years later, I am still have my home ♥
It has finally come to the point where, when I see absolutely NO way, I get excited to see how HE will get me out of (usually) my own messes! And boy, have I messed up the large majority of this life He gave me :oops:
And...yes, even if He does not deliver us from these things, He still has our best interests in mind and, He just has another plan for us...this is my own experience, of course but, it has grown my faith exponentially! Just the fact that you are so open to His Truth shows, to me anyhow, that the Holy Spirit is shining His light inside of you, showing you areas that need to go...a little at a time. So, when your trust wavers just remember this scripture:
Mark 9:24 "Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!" He grows our faith...I liken it to a muscle. Especially if we already KNOW that a certain something is His will, we can pray and rest. Then just watch Him work ;)