Going to church can guard against depression, new study finds

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going to an organized religious service regularly can guard a person against depression. Depression can manifest in different ways. From being sad and unmotivated to attacking others. This new npr study is interesting. Thoughts?

But lets face it, being immersed in the Holy Spirit comes much easier when attending church services. It can also make a person more social and less isolated which can improve a persons self esteem.

From the study:
"It's been debated a long time: Does being part of organized religion improve your mental health? A new study finds that religion can buffer adolescents against depression." https://www.npr.org/2019/11/05/7762...es-going-to-church-improve-your-mental-health

Read the full article. It is a no brainer but interesting that church is good for your mental health.

Reactions: Debp

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GOD, fully sold out to him.... that's what guards against the many ways the enemy tries to USURP GOD even yet by destroying our mental faculities. We must have our hearts & minds fully in tune with Christ's.

He does it through all the meds the big pharma doles out for profit through medical practitioners.They mess with the natural order of the functioning fascinating BRAIN God created.

Now our EMOTIONS that IS where FELLOWSHIP helps us fight & overcome how the devil desires to destroy us. We are to love, edify, encourage, pray, even carry if needed & prefer our brethren over ourselves. By fellowshipping & sharing the love & words that come from God, this strengthens true believers.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the study discussion:

KING: So I feel like I've read reports before that say if you're religious, it does benefit your mental health in some ways.

VEDANTAM: That's right, Noel. There have been a number of studies suggesting that going to church on a regular basis or being part of a religious community, this is good for your mental health. But many critics have been skeptical. If religious people have better mental health, that doesn't tell you that religion is what's making you healthy. It could be, for example, caused by some third factor that's influencing both those things. Here's economist Jane Fruehwirth at the University of North Carolina.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GOD, fully sold out to him.... that's what guards against the many ways the enemy tries to USURP GOD even yet by destroying our mental faculities. We must have our hearts & minds fully in tune with Christ's.

He does it through all the meds the big pharma doles out for profit through medical practitioners.They mess with the natural order of the functioning fascinating BRAIN God created.

Now our EMOTIONS that IS where FELLOWSHIP helps us fight & overcome how the devil desires to destroy us. We are to love, edify, encourage, pray, even carry if needed & prefer our brethren over ourselves. By fellowshipping & sharing the love & words that come from God, this strengthens true believers.
There's no doubt that it's God's spirit that makes us less depressed. And there are several ways to invite the Holy Spirit into our lives:

Prayer & Fasting
Reading the Scriptures
Attending Church Services
Proclaiming the Gospel
Helping the less fortunate
etc.

It's no mystery that one of the most effective ways to invite the Holy Spirit into our lives is by attending church regularly. The Fruits of the Holy Spirit are clear: Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

I watch daily Mass, read scripture and pray. And that blesses me with the Holy Spirit daily. What a blessing.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
KING: So I feel like I've read reports before that say if you're religious, it does benefit your mental health in some ways.
And if one is Christian- rather than just religious - that benefits us even more.

I always think how hard it must be, even for religious people, when they are facing hardships or pain or any kind of trouble really without the Holy spirit in their lives.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if one is Christian- rather than just religious - that benefits us even more.

I always think how hard it must be, even for religious people, when they are facing hardships or pain or any kind of trouble really without the Holy spirit in their lives.
I think a lot of the people that attend churches have the Holy Spirit in their lives. That would be the reason less of them are depressed.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think a lot of the people that attend churches have the Holy Spirit in their lives. That would be the reason less of them are depressed.
amongst buddist monks are found far less depression . DONT MEAN they have the HOLY GHOST .
social gatherings may lessen depression but it dont mean a thing if it aint CHRIST centered .
man cannot live by physologies and feelings , but rather by ER WORD of GOD .

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going to an organized religious service regularly can guard a person against depression. Depression can manifest in different ways. From being sad and unmotivated to attacking others. This new npr study is interesting. Thoughts?

But lets face it, being immersed in the Holy Spirit comes much easier when attending church services. It can also make a person more social and less isolated which can improve a persons self esteem.

From the study:
"It's been debated a long time: Does being part of organized religion improve your mental health? A new study finds that religion can buffer adolescents against depression." https://www.npr.org/2019/11/05/7762...es-going-to-church-improve-your-mental-health

Read the full article. It is a no brainer but interesting that church is good for your mental health.
One thing about a church, is that if we involve ourselves in the church's ministry, and I'm speaking of the laity, it certainly improves how we view ourselves. I would think that would combat depression.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing about a church, is that if we involve ourselves in the church's ministry, and I'm speaking of the laity, it certainly improves how we view ourselves. I would think that would combat depression.
Yes it would improve someone thru God's spirit.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Funny, 2 ladies walked up to me the other day when I was outside and one of them talked to me about the bible and invited me to their church, she seemed really nice and said she would call me. I wonder if I'd make any friends in that church and if it's the right church. Nice thread, dev553344.