Good Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1:3-5 and Gen 1:14-16 define Day as a time of light; and Night as a
time of darkness; viz: Day is daytime and Night is nighttime; or you could
say: Day is when the sun is up, and Night is when the sun is down. Those
definitions might seem superfluous; but in realty they are crucial to correctly
piecing together the chronology of crucifixion week.

A relatively obscure detail often absent from people's calculations is that
a calendar day is 24 hours; but the maximum number of hours in a New
Testament civil day is only twelve (John 11:19). The gospel's Jews began
the first hour of their civil day at 6:am regardless of the season of year.
Of course a Genesis day always begins at sunup and ends at sundown;
but it's impractical to regulate civil affairs strictly by the sun.

†. Matt 12:40 . . For as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three
days and three nights, so I, the Son of Man, will be in the heart of the earth
for three days and three nights.

†. John 2:19-22 . . Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
What?! they exclaimed. It took forty-six years to build this Temple, and you
can do it in three days? But by "this temple," Jesus meant his body. After he
was raised from the dead, the disciples remembered that he had said this.

Anybody with rudimentary arithmetic skills can easily deduce that burying
Jesus on a Friday afternoon leaves no possible way to obtain a third night
before Sunday morning.

Does it really matter which of day the week Jesus was buried just so long
as people believe the incident actually happened? Yes; it matters a great
deal. Jesus predicted he would be deceased three days and three nights.
If the New Testament doesn't corroborate his prediction, then in all good
conscience I have no choice but to write him off as a liar. And if he lied about
one of the essential elements of Christianity, then there's reason to suspect
he lied about other elements of Christianity too.

What's at stake here is Christ's integrity. Not everyone is able to appreciate
the gravity of this matter; but those of us who are counting on Jesus being
110% honest have a lot riding on the reliability of his statements.

Buen Camino
/

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Jesus is without sin. Your understanding and calculations then become suspect, not the Lord's integrity.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Webers_Home said:
Gen 1:3-5 and Gen 1:14-16 define Day as a time of light; and Night as a
time of darkness; viz: Day is daytime and Night is nighttime; or you could
say: Day is when the sun is up, and Night is when the sun is down. Those
definitions might seem superfluous; but in realty they are crucial to correctly
piecing together the chronology of crucifixion week.

A relatively obscure detail often absent from people's calculations is that
a calendar day is 24 hours; but the maximum number of hours in a New
Testament civil day is only twelve (John 11:19). The gospel's Jews began
the first hour of their civil day at 6:am regardless of the season of year.
Of course a Genesis day always begins at sunup and ends at sundown;
but it's impractical to regulate civil affairs strictly by the sun.

†. Matt 12:40 . . For as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three
days and three nights, so I, the Son of Man, will be in the heart of the earth
for three days and three nights.

†. John 2:19-22 . . Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
What?! they exclaimed. It took forty-six years to build this Temple, and you
can do it in three days? But by "this temple," Jesus meant his body. After he
was raised from the dead, the disciples remembered that he had said this.

Anybody with rudimentary arithmetic skills can easily deduce that burying
Jesus on a Friday afternoon leaves no possible way to obtain a third night
before Sunday morning.

conscience I have no choice but to write him off as a liar. And if he lied about

Buen Camino
/
Well, I have good news for you. Jesus was not buried on a friday. He died on the day of preperation, the day before the sabbath. But it was not the seventh day sabbath, it was the "high" sabbath, marking the beginning of the feast. (There are more than one kind of sabbaths). He was buried on a wednesday, late in the day. He spent three days (thurs, fri, sat.) and three nights (wed,thurs,fri) in the grave and was resurrected Saturday evening after six, making it after the official seventh day sabbath. Each day in their custom began at six in the evening. The first day of the week began on saturday evening at six o'clock. When they arrived at His gravesight first thing in the morning on sunday, He was already gone.

Good friday is merely a convenient way of making Easter a long weekend. But it likely first came about from the confusing of the scripture regarding which sabbath they were referring to.

Reactions: forrestcupp

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An important detail to factor into the chronology of Jesus' resurrection is that
he was predicted to rise on a day rather than during a night.

†. Mark 9:31 . .The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they
shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

†. Luke 18:33 . . And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the
third day he shall rise again.

†. Luke 24:6-7 . . He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you,
while he was still with you in Galilee: The Son of Man must be delivered into
the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.

And that's the way it went down.

†. Luke 24:46 . .Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and
to rise from the dead the third day

†. Acts 10:39-41 . . And we are witnesses of all the things He did both in the
land of the Jews and in Jerusalem. And they also put him to death by hanging
him on a cross. God raised him up on the third day

†. 1Cor 15:4 . . He rose again the third day

FYI: Gen 1:3-5, Gen 1:14-16, and John 11:9-10 define Day as when the
sun is up, and Night is defined as when the sun is down.

Clearly then, Jesus rose from the dead on the third day rather than on a fourth
after the third was over.

Buen Camino
/

Feb 7, 2013
Hi Webers,

God Bless search engines.

I will share with you what I have found out about the three days surrounding Jesus death and resurrection. And also respond to some statements made in these post, like "write him (Jesus) off as a liar" & the claim of a Wednesday crucifixion.

I found 27 references to "three days or third day" and will expand on a few of them shortly, but want to be upfront about the difficult passages.

Firstly, of these references only the 2 you (webers_home) mentioned Jonah 1:17 & Matthew 12:40 say "three days and three nights".
In commenting on the Matthew 12:40 text I will only note that Jesus here is responding directly to the scribes and Pharisees who had just asked him for a sign, and whom he called part of the evil and adulterous generation. Personally I think it is quite likely that we can apply what Jesus says about speaking in parables to this situation.
Mat 13:11 "He answered and said unto them (disciples), Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given... Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand".
If we study the word of God diligently, he will reveal the mysteries of the kingdom of God to us.

(As a side note in Mark 14:56-59 the testimonies of the false accusers during Jesus trial did not match, does this mean they did not understand the 3 days as well?).

Secondly; There are 2 verses which state Jesus would rise after 3 days. In Matthew 27:63 the Chief Priest and Pharisees state this to Pilate; and, Mark 8:31 finds Jesus himself saying this.
This does add confusion to the matter for sure. So I looked up Strong's Dictionary for the word "after"

G3326
μετά
meta
met-ah'
A primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly denoting accompaniment; “amid” (local or causal); modified variously according to the case (genitive case association, or accusative case succession) with which it is joined; ....
Now I am not a linguist by any means but even this description leaves room for interpretation and certainly does not have a definite time period attached to it.

Now for the Good News.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
Here Paul is telling us that Jesus death and resurrection was according to the scriptures. The Apostles were all personal witness of this, and they understood his resurrection to be in line with scripture, being on or in the third day.

So what scripture were they talking about?
The OT obviously. Here it is.

Hosea 6:1 Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
Hosea 6:2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
Hosea 6:3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

This is the first verse in the OT of the bible which predicts when Jesus resurrection will take place. 1 Cor 15:4 "he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"

So which day is the third day? Let's ask Luke.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre,...
Luk 24:21 ... and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
Counting backwards... Day #3 = 1st day of the week (Sunday); Day #2 = 7th day of the week (Saturday); Day #1 = 6th day of the week (Friday).
(Note: A Wednesday crucifixion is clearly not possible as it would end up being day # -1)

Also worth noting is Matthews account of the chief priests and Pharisees coming to Pilate.

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
(The priests and Pharisees were scared of Jesus body being taken on the second night, before the third day. This show that even the Chief Priests and Pharisees did not consider the third night because they knew it was on the third day he would rise up according to scripture. Hosea 6:1)
Mat 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.
Mat 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

Mat 28:1 In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
(The moment the third day began, the dawning of the first day of the week; this also refutes a Wednesday crucifixion as there is no third night.)
Mat 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
(The stone was rolled away from the tomb at the dawning of the first day of the week, not just after sunset, also refutes a Wednesday crucifixion).
Mat 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
Mat 28:4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
Mat 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
Mat 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
(Matthew also confirms Jesus resurrection occurred according to Jesus own prophecy; Jesus word can be trusted!)
Mat 28:7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

I hope what I have found and shared sheds some light on the subject and upholds Jesus good name and word as trustworthy along with the bible which he inspired.

Steve

Reactions: daq

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
brrrilliantsteve said:
Hi Webers,

God Bless search engines.

I will share with you what I have found out about the three days surrounding Jesus death and resurrection. And also respond to some statements made in these post, like "write him (Jesus) off as a liar" & the claim of a Wednesday crucifixion.

I found 27 references to "three days or third day" and will expand on a few of them shortly, but want to be upfront about the difficult passages.

Firstly, of these references only the 2 you (webers_home) mentioned Jonah 1:17 & Matthew 12:40 say "three days and three nights".
In commenting on the Matthew 12:40 text I will only note that Jesus here is responding directly to the scribes and Pharisees who had just asked him for a sign, and whom he called part of the evil and adulterous generation. Personally I think it is quite likely that we can apply what Jesus says about speaking in parables to this situation.
Mat 13:11 "He answered and said unto them (disciples), Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given... Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand".
If we study the word of God diligently, he will reveal the mysteries of the kingdom of God to us.

(As a side note in Mark 14:56-59 the testimonies of the false accusers during Jesus trial did not match, does this mean they did not understand the 3 days as well?).

Secondly; There are 2 verses which state Jesus would rise after 3 days. In Matthew 27:63 the Chief Priest and Pharisees state this to Pilate; and, Mark 8:31 finds Jesus himself saying this.
This does add confusion to the matter for sure. So I looked up Strong's Dictionary for the word "after"

G3326
μετά
meta
met-ah'
A primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly denoting accompaniment; “amid” (local or causal); modified variously according to the case (genitive case association, or accusative case succession) with which it is joined; ....
Now I am not a linguist by any means but even this description leaves room for interpretation and certainly does not have a definite time period attached to it.

Now for the Good News.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
Here Paul is telling us that Jesus death and resurrection was according to the scriptures. The Apostles were all personal witness of this, and they understood his resurrection to be in line with scripture, being on or in the third day.

So what scripture were they talking about?
The OT obviously. Here it is.

Hosea 6:1 Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
Hosea 6:2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
Hosea 6:3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

This is the first verse in the OT of the bible which predicts when Jesus resurrection will take place. 1 Cor 15:4 "he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"

So which day is the third day? Let's ask Luke.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre,...
Luk 24:21 ... and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
Counting backwards... Day #3 = 1st day of the week (Sunday); Day #2 = 7th day of the week (Saturday); Day #1 = 6th day of the week (Friday).
(Note: A Wednesday crucifixion is clearly not possible as it would end up being day # -1)

Also worth noting is Matthews account of the chief priests and Pharisees coming to Pilate.

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
(The priests and Pharisees were scared of Jesus body being taken on the second night, before the third day. This show that even the Chief Priests and Pharisees did not consider the third night because they knew it was on the third day he would rise up according to scripture. Hosea 6:1)
Mat 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.
Mat 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

Mat 28:1 In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
(The moment the third day began, the dawning of the first day of the week; this also refutes a Wednesday crucifixion as there is no third night.)
Mat 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
(The stone was rolled away from the tomb at the dawning of the first day of the week, not just after sunset, also refutes a Wednesday crucifixion).
Mat 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
Mat 28:6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
(Matthew also confirms Jesus resurrection occurred according to Jesus own prophecy; Jesus word can be trusted!)
Mat 28:7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

I hope what I have found and shared sheds some light on the subject and upholds Jesus good name and word as trustworthy along with the bible which he inspired.

Steve
Very good exegesis Steve! :)

----------------------------------------

The prophetic statement concerning Jonah in the belly of the great fish and the Son of man being in the kardia-heart of the earth, ('adamah-soil of the heart in O/T-Tanak terms) has nothing to do with a "dead body" lying "in state" in a tomb or sepulcher. The man is not the body but rather the man is the nephesh-soul, (which resides in the blood). Yeshua said nothing of "the grave" or the tomb in the Matthew 12:40 statement. I addition the tomb was not even earthen but rather hewn from solid rock. It is not the Passion Week timeline that is confusing as the Gospel of Mark lays out the entire week revealing that if one believes "Palm Sunday" was indeed a Sunday then Yeshua was surely crucified on Friday, (14 Abib-Nisan according to the commandment). Once a person understands, (and is willing to accept these things) the same will come to realize that it is the prophetic statement concerning the "three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" which is misunderstood and unreasonably foisted-forced upon the time period concerning from the Crucifixion-death of Messiah to the Resurrection, (which is a mere 25 hours at the most but still occurred in the third day). Likewise "yowm" is most often "a day" but can also be a time, a year, a season, and although not translated anywhere as such in Scripture; it can also be an hour, (three hours of day and three hours of darkness over all the land-earth). Likewise the first time this is foretold, and is what Paul speaks of also, is not Hosea 6:2 but rather Genesis 1:12-13, (in relationship to what Yeshua states in Matthew 13:31-32, John 12:24 and other similar passages) for the man is likened to the grain of wheat and likewise the tree. :)

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The hours between sunset Saturday evening till sunrise Sunday morning
constitute the first night of a Jewish week. Therefore Jesus could not have
risen during those hours because it is very easy to prove he rose on the first
day of the week rather than its first night.

According to Matt 28:1, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1; women went out to the
cemetery on the first day of the week.

According to Luke 24:13-24, that day was the third day since Jesus' crucifixion.

According to Mark 9:31, Luke 18:33, Luke 24:6-7, Luke 24:21, Luke 24:46,
Acts 10:39-41, and 1Cor 15:4: the third day is the day he rose.

Ergo: Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week rather than its
first night.

FYI: Gen 1:3-5, Gen 1:14-16, and John 11:9-10 define Day as when the sun
is up, and Night is defined as when the sun is down. In other words: Day is
light, and Night is darkness.

Buen Camino
/

Feb 7, 2013
Yes, that is right. Jesus rose the moment the 1st day of the week dawned (the third since his crucifixion) as explained in Matthew 28:1,2. It was then that the Angel came down from heaven with a great earthquake and rolled back the stone.

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

It is Odd and interesting though that Mattthew says that the dawn of the 1st day was the end of the Sabbath!, given that we know the Sabbath commences at sunset on the 6th day and finishes at sunset on the 7th Day.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
†. John 18:28. .Then the Jews led Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of
the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial
uncleanness the Jews did not enter the palace; they wanted to be able to
eat the Passover.

†. John 19:14 . . Now it was the day of preparation for the Passover; it was
about the sixth hour. And he said to the Jews: Behold, your King!

Passover's preparation is the day that Jews are supposed to remove all
leavened bread from their homes; and slaughter and roast lambs ready to
eat by sundown. Clearly then, the Jews didn't eat their Passover till after
Jesus was dead and buried.

But Jesus had eaten his own Passover the night of his arrest. So then, the
Jews' religious calendar was a full day behind the Lord's religious calendar.

Jesus was a prophet always in close personal contact with his Father at all
times. So then he, above everybody else in Israel, would've known the
precise date that Yhvh's people were supposed to eat the Passover. For
some reason, the authorities' religious calendar was running a day late the
year that the Lord was crucified; which worked to God's advantage because
it was apparently His intention that Christ be a Passover sacrifice (1Cor 5:7).
Had the authorities been punctual, they wouldn't have executed the Lord on
time because they earnestly endeavored to avoid bloodshed during the Feast.

†. Mrk 14:1-2 . . After two days was the feast of the Passover, and of
Unleavened Bread: and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they
might take him by craft, and put him to death. But they said: Not on the feast
day, lest there be an uproar of the people.

Because their religious calendar was running a day late that year, the authorities
inadvertently ended up doing the very thing they wanted to avoid. And to top it
off, they executed Jesus on the first of the two sabbaths instituted for Passover
week at Ex 12:16. You see; because their religious calendar was running a day
late that year; they were tricked into thinking the first of those two sabbaths didn't
begin till sundown the day Jesus was crucified; but in reality it had begun at
sundown the previous day without them knowing it.

NOTE : Passover sabbaths float; viz: they aren't regulated by a fixed calendar
date like President's Day; but rather, they're regulated by the moon-- specifically
full moon. Because of that, it sometimes happens that Passover sabbaths run
back to back with a regular seventh-day sabbath; thus producing two sabbaths
in a row.

That very situation occurred in 1994, 2001 and 2008. Passover fell on Sunday.
So the Jews had to observe two sabbaths in a row those years: the regular
seventh-day on Saturday, followed immediately by a Passover sabbath on
Sunday; which for the Jews is normally the first day of the week. At the end
of Passover week; they did it all over again.

Similar circumstances occurred during the week the Lord was crucified. Having
consecutive sabbaths in the mix throws people off when they try to construct a
chronology of crucifixion week because it's so easy to mistake a Passover sabbath
or the regular seventh-day sabbath.

†. John 19:31 . . Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to
be a special sabbath. Because the Jews did not want the bodies left on the
crosses during the sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and
the bodies taken down.

There it is: the first of Passover's two sabbaths; called in John's gospel a
special sabbath; and if we didn't have his gospel, that special sabbath would
slip by totally unnoticed because John's is the only one of the four gospels
that mentions it.

According to Matt 28:1, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1; women went out to the
cemetery on the first day of the week. In other words; they went out there
after the regular seventh-day sabbath was over.

Here's a rough schedule of events:

Wednesday night: Jesus eats his Passover and gets arrested

Thursday: Jesus crucified and buried

Thursday sundown: the first of the Jew's two Passover sabbaths begins

Thursday night: Jews eat their Passover

Friday sundown: the first of the Jews' two Passover sabbaths ends, and
simultaneously a regular seventh-day sabbath begins.

Saturday sundown: the regular seventh-day sabbath ends

Sunday morning: Jesus rises from the dead.

In order for the chronology to come out right, it's essential to NOT count
crucifixion day as one of the days that Christ was interred. Let the cross
have crucifixion day all to itself-- leave that day alone and don't start your
countdown till after the sun sets upon Golgotha. Put another way: the Lord's
cross owns crucifixion day, while the Lord's resurrection owns the grave, and
neither shared a day with the other.

Buen Camino
/

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Dear Brother in Christ,

These are the Basic questions will raise to most of the new generation christian who studies and questions the scrptures in the bible for better understanding or contradict the issue.

But here is the solution for it.

As per Mat 12: 40, Jesus himself prophesied that, He will raise from the dead like Jonah was there in the belly of Fish for 3 days and 3 nights.

yes. I also got the same doubt. Jesus Christ have spent only two nights and one day in tomb. Then Jesus Prophesy is wrong?? NO, It wont be.. It should not be false prophesy.

Then, if we go through the same type of verses in the bible, we can understand it.

The below studies reveal that it is a idiomatic usage only. for eg: If we read Mat 27: 63, where Pharises tell Pilate to guard the tomb till 3rd day. Because Jesus said "After 3 days i will raise again" If they thought that Its mathematically 3 days and 3 days, they would have asked to guard for 4th day also. but not

One more example in 1 samuel 30:11 - 13, Here also it says, He had not eaten food for 3 days and 3 nights, then it explaned that his master left him 3 days ago.

Genesis 42: 17, 18 which says Joseph put them in jail for 3 days, but released them on 3rd day.

So, by the above examples, we can come to a conclusion that, its simply idiomatic, interchangeable terms, clearly a common mode of jewesh expression.

Thanks,

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Counting days in the Bible is a bit tricky, and can easily throw somebody's
tally off if they do it improperly. Let me show you what that means.

†. Acts 10:30 . . Cornelius answered: Four days ago I was in my house
praying at this hour, at 3:00 o'clock in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in
shining clothes stood before me

If you sum the days in that section regarding Peter's visit to Cornelius' home,
you'll find that according to some people's way of thinking, only three days
had transpired instead of the four that Cornelius attested. But Cornelius
counted the very day that Peter showed up as one of those four days even
though it wasn't over when he arrived.

The preponderance of New Testament evidence-- which includes
Matt 17:22-23, Mark 9:31, Luke 9:22, Luke 18:33, Luke 24:41, Luke 24:46,
John 2:19, Acts 10:39-41, and 1Cor 15:4 --testifies that the number of days
that the Lord spent in the tomb wasn't three whole days; but rather two whole
days plus a partial day-- that partial day being counted as a third; which informs
us that Jonah exited his fishy tomb on the third day too instead of on a fourth
after the third day was over (Jonah 1:17, Matt 12:40).

Buen Camino
/

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Webers_Home said:

The reason it doesn't matter is because anyone who actually cares to study it will know that the Bible doesn't say Friday, and they'll just celebrate Good Friday because that's when the holiday is set. Anyone who doesn't care enough to study it probably won't even question whether He was lying or not. Like others said, the Bible is talking about the Feast Sabbath, and not the 7th day Sabbath, so it actually never implies that it happened on Friday. You can't use man's traditions to try to prove that Jesus was lying.

brrrilliantsteve said:
Good stuff. He must have been put in the grave sometime Thursday evening, not Wednesday or Friday.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
forrestcupp said:
The reason it doesn't matter is because anyone who actually cares to study it will know that the Bible doesn't say Friday, and they'll just celebrate Good Friday because that's when the holiday is set. Anyone who doesn't care enough to study it probably won't even question whether He was lying or not. Like others said, the Bible is talking about the Feast Sabbath, and not the 7th day Sabbath, so it actually never implies that it happened on Friday. You can't use man's traditions to try to prove that Jesus was lying.

Good stuff. He must have been put in the grave sometime Thursday evening, not Wednesday or Friday.
This cannot be acceptable, When Bible is telling that Jesus was put into tomb before sabbath day (saturday) starts..means He was kept in tomb on friday only. Read the sabbath rules in Old Testament, then you will understand.

Thanks.

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
Yes, that is right. Jesus rose the moment the 1st day of the week dawned (the third since his crucifixion) as explained in Matthew 28:1,2. It was then that the Angel came down from heaven with a great earthquake and rolled back the stone.

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
It is Odd and interesting though that Mattthew says that the dawn of the 1st day was the end of the Sabbath!, given that we know the Sabbath commences at sunset on the 6th day and finishes at sunset on the 7th Day.
What is odd and interesting is that you did not quote the entire passage, as Paul Harvey used to say, "Now for the rest of the story."

He was already gone...

Mar 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
Mar 16:3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
Mar 16:4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
Mar 16:5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
Mar 16:6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
Luk 24:2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
Luk 24:3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Joh 20:2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

He was already gone before daylight. He rose just about sunset the evening before, exactly three days and three nights after His crucifixion.

How long is a day?

Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

The nighttime portion and the daylight portion. How long are they?

Joh 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
Joh 11:10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Christ here shows the daylight portion is twelve hours and then there is night. How long is a day? 24 hours then, just as it is now? If I told you on a Friday, to meet me a the Empire State Building three days and three nights from now, when would you show up?

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
stefen said:
This cannot be acceptable, When Bible is telling that Jesus was put into tomb before sabbath day (saturday) starts..means He was kept in tomb on friday only. Read the sabbath rules in Old Testament, then you will understand.

Thanks.
It wasn't talking about the Saturday Sabbath. It was talking about the day before the High Sabbath for Passover, which wasn't on Saturday.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a very simplified method for figuring out which day of the week
Jesus was buried.

Matt 12:40 and John 2:19-22 predict that Jesus would be deceased three
days and three nights. However, according to Matt 17:22-23, Mark 9:31,
Luke 9:22, Luke 18:33, Luke 24:41, Luke 24:46, John 2:19, Acts 10:39-41,
and 1Cor 15:4; Jesus rose from the dead on the third day rather than on
a fourth after the third day was over.

According to Matt 28:1, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1; women went out to
the cemetery on the first day of the Jews' week; viz: Sunday.

According to Luke 24:13-24, that day was the third day since Jesus'
crucifixion.

So: working in reverse from Sunday: the three days are Sunday, Saturday,
and Friday. The three nights are Saturday night, Friday night, and Thursday
night; which puts Jesus' burial squarely on a Wednesday afternoon.

Buen Camino
/

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Webers_Home said:
So: working in reverse from Sunday: the three days are Sunday, Saturday,
and Friday. The three nights are Saturday night, Friday night, and Thursday
night; which puts Jesus' burial squarely on a Wednesday afternoon.

Buen Camino
/
But that doesn't make sense. If He was buried on Wednesday afternoon, then Wednesday night would be one of the nights. Even if you count the night of Wednesday afternoon as being Thursday night, He was still resurrected on Sunday morning. So it seems like He would have had to have been buried on Thursday afternoon.

But no matter what, it definitely wasn't on Friday.

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
"Webers_Home" and I have already had this discussion on another forum board but for those of you who are seeking the Truth you would do well to heed the Gospel of Mark Timeline as stated above in my previous post with the other information presented therein. The only real question is that of "Is Palm Sunday actually a Sunday or not?" It is indeed a Sunday because a Monday is way too late in the Passion Week and if it were a Sabbath then those who went about cutting down palm branches, (which included the disciples in some accounts) would have been breaking the Sabbath; and therefore the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Scribes, would have surely condemned them to the Master as they did also in so many other instances when they felt the Sabbath was being broken. If indeed Palm Sunday is a Sunday, (and it was) then the following cannot be denied:

Gospel of Mark Timeline:

PALM SUNDAY

Mark 11:1-11 KJV
1. And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples,
2. And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him.
3. And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.
4. And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him.
5. And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt?
6. And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go.
7. And they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.
8. And many spread their garments in the way: and others cut down branches off the trees, and strawed them in the way.
9. And they that went before, and they that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna; Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord:
10. Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest.
11. And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.

MONDAY

Mark 11:12-19 KJV
12. And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
13. And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
14. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.
15. And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;
16. And would not suffer that any man should carry any vessel through the temple.
17. And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.
18. And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.
19. And when even was come, he went out of the city.

TUESDAY

Mark 11:20-33 KJV
20. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.
21. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
22. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
23. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
24. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
25. And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26. But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
27. And they come again to Jerusalem: and as he was walking in the temple, there come to him the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders,
28. And say unto him, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority to do these things?
29. And Jesus answered and said unto them, I will also ask of you one question, and answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.
30. The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? answer me.
31. And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then did ye not believe him?
32. But if we shall say, Of men; they feared the people: for all men counted John, that he was a prophet indeed.
33. And they answered and said unto Jesus, We cannot tell. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things.

WEDNESDAY - THURSDAY

Mark 14:1 KJV
1. After two days was the feast of the Passover, and of unleavened bread: and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might take him by craft, and put him to death.

THURSDAY - SUNDOWN
(Friday on the Hebrew calendar)

Mark 14:12-17 KJV
12. And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the Passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
13. And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
14. And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
15. And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us.
16. And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
17. And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.

In that night, Friday 14th Nisan, Yeshua was betrayed and arrested.
The next morning, still Friday 14th Nisan, Yeshua was tried and crucified at 9AM

6:00 AM ~ First Hour
9:00 AM ~ Third Hour
12 Noon ~ Sixth Hour
3:00 PM ~ Ninth Hour

Mark 15:25-33 KJV
25. And it was the third hour, [9AM] and they crucified him.
26. And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
27. And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.
28. And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.
29. And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
30. Save thyself, and come down from the cross.
31. Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.
32. Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.
33. And when the sixth hour was come, [Noon] there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour [3PM].

Amos 8:9-10 KJV
9. And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord God, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:
10. And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.

We know therefore, by these and other Scriptures, that Yeshua arose early the first day of the week which is undisputedly the opening of a Sunday, (at least not many dispute that fact). Albeit in the very twilight of the first day of the week it was, which would have been immediately after sunset of the High Day Shabbat-Sabbath, the night before Sunday morning AM, (in Hebrew reckoning). It was somewhere in Twilight between the High Sabbath and the first day of the week that he arose, in the twilight and dawning or opening of a Sunday.

Matthew 28:1-2 KJV
1. In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn [twilight] toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
2. And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

John 20:1 KJV
1. The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

We know that the same Sabbath was an High Day, meaning that it was 15 Nisan, the Passover and first Holy Convocation of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and it fell on a normal weekly Sabbath which means that it was a full Saturday-Sabbath that the body of Yeshua was in the sepuchlre or tomb. Thereby we also may know that the Sabbath which Paul honored, preaching the Word every Sabbath day in the synagogues, would have been the same Sabbath day.

John 19:30-31 KJV
30. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
31. The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for that Sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Matthew 12:7-8 KJV
7. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

8. For the Son of man is Master even of the Sabbath day.

Chronology of Christ

The Son of man is Master of Shabbat ~ And in it He Rested! :)

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you don't think Jesus was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights?

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
forrestcupp said:
So you don't think Jesus was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights?
Can you show me where Matthew 12:40 says anything about a "grave", a "tomb", or a "sepulcher"?

Matthew 12:40 KJV
40. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

In addition the man is not the body but rather "in the body" until death because the living soul is the man:

Jonah 2:1-7 KJV
1. Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,
2. And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
3. For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.
4. Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
5. The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
6. I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.
7. When my soul fainted within me I remembered the Lord: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

And the man is from the dust of the 'adamah-soil-earth and the heart of the man is an altar and temple:

John 19:34-35 KJV
34. But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
35. And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.

And the nephesh-soul resides in the blood. Therefore it is the Matthew 12:40 prophetic statement which is misunderstood just as was stated in my first post above. And now I have a question for you: Do you believe the Most High waited "twelve hours" for a "night" to pass between Genesis 1:5 until he spoke again in Genesis 1:6? Or is it possible that the length of a "yowm" (translated as "day") in the creation account is misunderstood? If an evening and a morning are the waning and the waxing of the period of an hour rather than a twenty-four hour period then the Most High spoke everything of creation in the space of six hours and rested in the seventh "yowm"-hour. Should we honestly be expected to believe that the Most High "paused" for twelve hours for a night to pass before he spoke the Word again the next morning of the next day? If what I say here then be at all a possibility, and one comes to understand the supernal implications of this totally new beginning, then surely for the same shall the light of the sun be sevenfold, as the light of seven yamiym-days, as Isaiah spoke, and there is no night there in the new Genesis. Likewise the Son of man was indeed "in the heart of the 'adamah" for three days and three nights upon the Cross during his crucifixion; that is, three yamiym-hours of light and three yamiym-hours of darkness.