'Good' in Genesis 1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible does say Eve was deceived, Adam on the other hand willingly chose to disobey.
Won't it be so nice when this issue is settled.
'For since by man came death,
.. by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die,
.. even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
.... But every man in his own order:
Christ the firstfruits;
.. afterward they that are Christ's
.... at His coming.'

(1 Corinthians 15:21-22)

Hello @Robert Gwin,

Yes, Satan is a master of strategy, and struck at Adam through the weaker vessel, bringing both down by doing so, didn't He? and us through Adam: for we were in him; but God in His mercy and grace has provided the means whereby we can be saved from the consequence of that fall, by placing those who believe in the saving work of His only Begotten Son, in Christ; thereby cancelling. for them, the power of sin which is death, and giving the hope of eternal life through Him.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So using that logic, my wife can’t appreciate my being good to her, unless first I treat her horribly and abuse her, to show her the contrast of a good vs horrible husband
No, she knows how horribly other women have been treated and knows you are not like that. If you did, she might forgive you though. Of course she must have forgiven you for so many things already. You understand what forgiveness is when she forgives you. It is precious isn't it?

BTW over two billion dollars of aid to Haiti was stolen by graft and corruption, leaving them still in grinding poverty and in dire need.
Yes, the rulers are corrupt, which is whynthey were so impoverished. Lots went through though
And the people realized that love.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan created lies and malevolent evil, not God

Scripture says what God does is to create calamity and disaster when judging evil, as in the world wide flood calamity and disaster - which is far different than creating malevolent evil such as Satan is filled with.
I didn't claim God created sin.
How do you define God's sovereignty? He is in control. Satan doesn't do anything unless he has permission. So we have evil _ throughout history _ created or allowed by God, either way, He is in charge.
Do you think God is not in control of evil? You have to define evil. We perceive it differently.
What is the worst evil that can happen to a person? Most people would say death. God gives life and takes it away. Do you think death happens somehow outside of God's sovereignty? Example: God had salvation in mind for a person _ all planned out _ but then a catastrophy happenned, an earthquake, a disease, a car accident, a freak thing, and you think Satan did it, He came along and screwed up God's plan?
Natural disasters, disease, calamities, accidents, deaths happan and Satan does His thing, but God is in control.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree that God knowingly and willfully created the Devil or a Satan.

He created a universe with the knowledge of good and evil. If evil already existed before man then man didn't create it, He just takes a bath in it sometimes. What you are claiming is that Satan created evil.
Angels can't create anything. The concept and thoughts about evil existed before Satan. The plan for a Savior was already in place prior to creation. I guess you can't wrap your mind around that?
God causes all things to work together for good for believers. It does'nt work out so well for unbelievers.
"All things" includes all sorts of evil.

I disagree that sin and death was part of God's plan or part of his purpose.

That is your perspective and prerogative.

Chaos and confusion doesn't originate from The True God, but according to you you're saying they do because you're saying that Satan the Devil and sin and death which would include chaos and confusion was all part of Gods plan always part of his purpose for these things to be this way.

I don't believe that there is such a thing as chaos. That would imply God is not in control. There apparently is much confusion though!

Regarding God’s creation, which includes the first humans on earth, the Genesis account says: “God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good.” Genesis 1:31 Adam and Eve were perfectly made, perfectly suited to their earthly environment.

Yep, everything he made was good.
Except man was ignorant to knowledge - man would have to learn about what is good and what is evil.

There was nothing deficient in their makeup.They were created “very good,” they were certainly capable of the good conduct that was required of them. They were created “in God’s image.” Genesis 1:27.
They were created in God's image but He left one finishing touch: "Behold, they have become like us, knowing good and evil."

So they had the capacity to demonstrate to some degree the godly qualities of wisdom, loyal love, justice, and goodness. Reflecting such qualities would help them to make decisions that would benefit them and bring pleasure to the Only True God their heavenly Father.

Do you understand that they didn't eat from the Tree of the knowledge of Evil only, so that only evil would be released and known.
>>> What usually slips by believers is that this Tree was also released knowledge of GOOD. It was entitled the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL . So, they didn't have the capacity to demonstrate or reflect the attributes of God in the state they were in because they did not know how to.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He created a universe with the knowledge of good and evil. If evil already existed before man then man didn't create it, He just takes a bath in it sometimes. What you are claiming is that Satan created evil.
Angels can't create anything. The concept and thoughts about evil existed before Satan. The plan for a Savior was already in place prior to creation. I guess you can't wrap your mind around that?
God causes all things to work together for good for believers. It does'nt work out so well for unbelievers.
"All things" includes all sorts of evil.

That is your perspective and prerogative.

I don't believe that there is such a thing as chaos. That would imply God is not in control. There apparently is much confusion though!

Yep, everything he made was good.
Except man was ignorant to knowledge - man would have to learn about what is good and what is evil.

They were created in God's image but He left one finishing touch: "Behold, they have become like us, knowing good and evil."

Do you understand that they didn't eat from the Tree of the knowledge of Evil only, so that only evil would be released and known.
>>> What usually slips by believers is that this Tree was also released knowledge of GOOD. It was entitled the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL . So, they didn't have the capacity to demonstrate or reflect the attributes of God in the state they were in because they did not know how to.
They knew one thing, They only had one commandment to obey and that was NOT to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. And they disobeyed God. One thing, that is all it took. Neither were they eternally secure even from the beginning.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They knew one thing, They only had one commandment to obey and that was NOT to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. And they disobeyed God. One thing, that is all it took. Neither were they eternally secure even from the beginning.
That's just it! They were not good of themselves. Only God is. So now being alive by being joined to Him we are eternally alive through Him Who alone is eternal.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting to ponder what they knew. ?
God gave them intelligence, a language so He could communicate and understand Him
Most believe they were fully grown adults to start.
It didn't start with ugh! God told Adam to name all the animals and botanicals. Wow, to do that and remember all the names, you would have to have an encyclopedic mind. He surely had a photographic memory. So he was intellegent, like Einstein, but wisdom, character, morality were things they had to learn. There emotions were most likely not mature, a bit raw and wild. Like when he first saw Eve ... She looked back at him and said, "Not so fast bucko, I think you need a cold shower ... I'm not that kind of girl!

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God gave them intelligence, a language so He could communicate and understand Him
Most believe they were going fully grown adults to start.
It didn't start with ugh! God told Adam to name all the animals and botanicals. Wow, to do that and remember all the names, you would have to have an encyclopedic mind. He surely had a photographic memory. So he was intellegent, like Einstein, but wisdom, character, morality were things they had to learn. There emotions were most likely not mature, a bit raw and wild. Like when he first saw Eve ... She looked back at him and said, "Not so fast bucko, I think you need a cold shower ... I'm not that kind of girl!
Made in God's image??...how does that not ooze maturity; emotionally, physically, and mentally?

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Made in God's image??...how does that not ooze maturity; emotionally, physically, and mentally?
My opinion on this is conjecture, but I'll grapple with ya.
Are young adults emotionally mature? Do you know what made in God's image means? Having been made with a mind, will, emotions, talents, creativity, even a spirit does not mean you are mature in any one of those areas. We were not made in His image physically because He is spiritual, invisible ... unless you ooze in unapproachable light?
I don't know, do you think you ooze spiritual maturity?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ronald said:
He created a universe with the knowledge of good and evil. If evil already existed before man then man didn't create it, He just takes a bath in it sometimes. What you are claiming is that Satan created evil.[/Quote\]

When God created creation he had the knowledge of what is in the best interests of what he created (good) and what wasn't in the best interests of what he created(evil). So no, I'm not saying that the angel that became Satan, created evil, I'm saying he became evil. It doesn't mean that before God created creation God knew that there would be an angel who would become evil either.

Ronald said:
The plan for a savior was already in place prior to creation. [/Quote\]

I haven't found a scripture that actually says that. I have found scriptures where some people interpret it that way, but I disagree with their interpretation.

Ronald said:
Yep, everything he made was good. Except man was ignorant to knowledge - man would have to learn about what was good and what is evil [/Quote\]

When God told Adam about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil that he was forbidden to eat from that tree and that if he did eat from it he would die, Adam understood God. It seems like you're saying that you believe God gave a command and warning that was beyond Adam to comprehend what God was saying to him. It seems to me that when God spoke to Adam Adam didn't have a clue what God was saying. After Adam and Eve sinned God asked Adam if he had eaten of the tree that God had commanded him not to eat. Why would God ask a question like that if God knew Adam wouldn't comprehend the command in the first place? Adam knew it was wrong to eat that forbidden fruit. He also knew that death was an evil to be shunned. Genesis 3:5 is more than about helpful knowledge of what is right and wrong. For Adam to know good and evil as Jehovah God and his Only Begotten Son knows good and evil means that Adam and Eve would decide for themselves what was good and evil without God decision as to what's in the best interests of mankind, so Adam no longer was theocratic he no longer looked to God as the universal Sovereign over mankind, Adam was no longer accepting what God said was right or wrong. They were going to determine for themselves what they were going to do on the earth and not let God be the Supreme Arbiter.

The plain simple fact Ronald is right from the beginning God has wanted mankind which includes Adam to love him so much that they would exercise faith in him, so that when God commanded him to do something or not do something
he knew it was in their best interests to be obedient to his loving commands.

No matter how much anyone denies it, God created Adam in his image. That means that Adam was perfectly so man has qualities that show Adam capable of reflecting those qualities of his heavenly Creator, so the qualities that God had Adam was able to reflect those qualities God had because God created Adam in his image, in his likeness.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My opinion on this is conjecture, but I'll grapple with ya.
Are young adults emotionally mature? Do you know what made in God's image means? Having been made with a mind, will, emotions, talents, creativity, even a spirit does not mean you are mature in any one of those areas. We were not made in His image physically because He is spiritual, invisible ... unless you ooze in unapproachable light?
I don't know, do you think you ooze spiritual maturity?
You cavil with the scriptures to your hurt Ronald. Adam named all the animals and from memory I think it was more than a handful....is that not indicative of a capable mind; a mind that remembers detail of all sorts; a mind dare I say it, is mature? A mind that has the intellect which fallen mortals 6000 years down the track of disfunction can not even imagine.

I would also say, your quote below is more of a projection onto Adam of your own lust than Adam's from the hand of God
There emotions were most likely not mature, a bit raw and wild. Like when he first saw Eve ... She looked back at him and said, "Not so fast bucko, I think you need a cold shower ... I'm not that kind of girl!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cavil with the scriptures to your hurt Ronald. Adam named all the animals and from memory I think it was more than a handful....is that not indicative of a capable mind; a mind that remembers detail of all sorts; a mind dare I say it, is mature? A mind that has the intellect which fallen mortals 6000 years down the track of disfunction can not even imagine.

I would also say, your quote below is more of a projection onto Adam of your own lust than Adam's from the hand of God
A mind that does'nt understand good and evil is neither good nor evil. Man needed exactly what He got. The fear of the Lord us the beginning of knowledge and wisdom. Man's first test was to prove that man cannot keep God's commandments. It was just one, but if he failed at one he would break them all. But man was destined to know the truth and love, our Savior and His sacrificial death for us, and that He would offer eternal life to those who believed.
Praise God for His perfect plan.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Come on! Read it will you. Adam was thrust out of the garden and prevented from ever returning. The temptress remained. We need to make sure we do as God commands and not be tempted away. We are the children of Adam, and as you say, the shedding of blood redeems those who confess their sins before the Lord. With all the religions in the world, I'm not sure many will come to Jesus for the remission of sins.

Genesis 3:17-24 ISV
(17) He told the man, "Because you have listened to what your wife said, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat from it,' cursed is the ground because of you. You'll eat from it through pain-filled labor for the rest of your life.
(18) It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you'll eat the plants from the meadows.
(19) You will eat food by the sweat of your brow until you're buried in the ground, because you were taken from it. You're made from dust and you'll return to dust."
(20) Now Adam had named his wife "Eve," because she was to become the mother of everyone who was living.
(21) The LORD God fashioned garments from animal skins for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.
(22) Later, the LORD God said, "Look! The man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, so he won't reach out, also take from the tree of life, eat, and then live forever—"
(23) therefore the LORD God expelled the man from the garden of Eden so he would work the ground from which he had been taken.
(24) After he had expelled the man, the LORD God placed winged angels at the eastern end of the garden of Eden, along with a fiery whirling sword, to prevent access to the tree of life.

So you think they had no chance for repentance? So were they doomed to hell at that moment ? I know He said that they would die that day, which they did, however they were still a soul ,do you think they were subject to the 2nd death ?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Most believe they were fully grown adults to start.
I do not go making stuff up. Just go by what is written and get it straight.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So you think they had no chance for repentance? So were they doomed to hell at that moment ? I know He said that they would die that day, which they did, however they were still a soul ,do you think they were subject to the 2nd death ?
The account says God thrust Adam out of the garden, never to return. I think Adam is a 'type' of the wicked, and maybe he wasn't up for repentance? Eve remained, even though she was the one who tempted Adam. Maybe the lesson is not to give way to temptation? It is always there, like Eve, so perhaps we ought to follow Christ's example and say, "Get thee behind me Satan." Satan is always here.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A mind that does'nt understand good and evil is neither good nor evil. Man needed exactly what He got. The fear of the Lord us the beginning of knowledge and wisdom. Man's first test was to prove that man cannot keep God's commandments. It was just one, but if he failed at one he would break them all. But man was destined to know the truth and love, our Savior and His sacrificial death for us, and that He would offer eternal life to those who believed.
It was Lucifer who claimed God's Commandments could not be kept. It looks like you agree with him?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How would God's angels be classified not having experienced evil? I wonder if they know what is good!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
The account says God thrust Adam out of the garden, never to return. I think Adam is a 'type' of the wicked, and maybe he wasn't up for repentance? Eve remained, even though she was the one who tempted Adam. Maybe the lesson is not to give way to temptation? It is always there, like Eve, so perhaps we ought to follow Christ's example and say, "Get thee behind me Satan." Satan is always here.

Can't see Adam as a type of the wicked , I see him as a type of being deceived by the wicked one

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was Lucifer who claimed God's Commandments could not be kept. It looks like you agree with him?
I think God knew what He was doing. He put the serpent, who was cunning and deceptive in the Garden with them.
Did you ever wonder why He allowed a creature that was already evil in there to tempt them? He knew what would happen. It was a necessary evil.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Robert Gwin,

Yes, Satan is a master of strategy, and struck at Adam through the weaker vessel, bringing both down by doing so, didn't He? and us through Him: for we were in him; but God in His mercy and grace has provided the means whereby we can be saved from the consequence of that fall, by placing those who believe in the saving work of His only Begotten Son, in Christ; thereby cancelling. for them, the power of sin which is death, and giving the hope of eternal life through Him.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Amen to that Chris, I can't for the life of me understand why most of the world chooses to side with satan, does that make any sense to you? Taking advantage of that provision, not only results in eternal blessings, but the best life possible right now.