'Good' in Genesis 1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How would God's angels be classified not having experienced evil? I wonder if they know what is good!
Do you know when Lucifer fell? He was the most beautiful angel in heaven, then He sinned and he changed into Satan, the dragon/serpent. I believe when God made man, Lucifer became jealous, envious, angry, rebellious. Where did that come from? It had to have already existed, just had to be tapped into.
"...You were the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
You were in Eden, the garden of God;
“You were the anointed cherub who covers;
I established you;
You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created,
Till iniquity was found in you." Ezek. 28:12-15

The Bible describes Lucifer, a cherub as beautiful, however, the Serpent in the Garden was not. Lucifer fell before Adam and Eve did. Proof of this is in Gen. 3. The Serpent was cunning, tempted Eve, put doubts in her head and basically deceived her. But how does he deceive? Is it all lies we are fed? No, it's mixed with some truth, half-truths, a little here and there to manipulate and draw you in. Liars always embellish the truth, distort it, tell you something true that you grab onto to get your trust - then they got you, hit you with lies. False religions contain truths that grab you and pull you in. So you see some light in the beggining, move towards it but then it gets dimmer, is distorted little by little, then darkness comes ... you realize you've been had and sometimes not. He will use something that is good, feels good, looks good and tell you it is good for you.
God knows what Satan thinks and what he is going to do. Remember even in this state, Satan, the accuser, who tries to defeat us, by setting traps, must get permission to do so as he did with Job. God is omniscient, so knew what Satan would do and allowed it for His purpose. Otherwise He would have not allowed a cunning serpent in the Garden at all if His intentions were different. God's plan is perfect, He is sovereign.

All of a sudden Adam and Eve felt guilt, they were naked and ashamed and they knew the Serpent deceived Eve. The first lesson of the knowledge of Good and Evil was a hard one. They hid themselves, they felt fear. All these things for the first time. They were punished, kicked out of the Garden. So now they knew what they once had was good, because they did not have it anymore. They learned to appreciate what good is because of what happened.
Nothing more I can say to you. You don't see it that way, see it your way!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ronald said:
Man needed exactly what He got. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom. Man's first test was to prove that man cannot keep God's commandments. It was just one, but if he failed at one he would break them all. But man was destined to know the truth and love, our Savior and His sacrificial death for us, and that He would offer eternal life to those who believed.
Praise God for His perfect plan.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me you are saying that when God created Adam, that Adam didn't have the ability to love God enough to exercise faith in God and simply be obedient to God's command of refraining from eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It seems that your basing this on the fact that because Adam failed to obey that command you're saying that when God created Adam he was incapable of obedience and that God was proving to Adam that this was true. So you're saying that God created Adam with a deficiency, a shortcoming? If so, I say I don't think so. Adam had the ability to exercise loving faith in God to be obedient to him, just because Adam didn't love God enough to exercise that kind of faith in God doesn't mean Adam wasn't capable of exercising that kind of faith at that time, it just means Adam didn't progress in that kind of love, not from some shortcoming in which God had created him but simply because he failed to love God enough to exercise that kind of faith. The fault was Adams fault alone not in any kind of shortcoming in which God had created Adam and Eve.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you're saying that God created Adam with a deficiency, a shortcoming? I don't think so. Adam had the ability to love God enough to be obedient to him
I think man DID have a deficiency. I'm thinking that only God is intrinsically good, therefore, man was not, and could not be. Not being intrinsically good, that meant man was unstable, and could lose what was not intrinsically his. The tree showed that deficiency, and has led now to our being united to the Holy Spirit, joined to Christ, Who IS good, and shares that goodness with us, so that He can say, put on the new man that is created patterned after God, in righteousness and true holiness.

Much love!

Reactions: charity

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think man DID have a deficiency. I'm thinking that only God is intrinsically good, therefore, man was not, and could not be. Not being intrinsically good, that meant man was unstable, and could lose what was not intrinsically his. The tree showed that deficiency, and has led now to our being united to the Holy Spirit, joined to Christ, Who IS good, and shares that goodness with us, so that He can say, put on the new man that is created patterned after God, in righteousness and true holiness.

Much love!
Then you're saying it was Gods fault on how God created man that he sins because how God created him, which means you agree with Satan the Devil who said he could cause any man to fall into sin

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you're saying it was Gods fault on how God created man that he sins because how God created him, which means you agree with Satan the Devil who said he could cause any man to fall into sin
You put words in my mouth that aren't mine.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. God did not create more Gods.

Much love!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You put words in my mouth that aren't mine.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. God did not create more Gods.

Much love!

You said you believed that God created Adam with a deficiency a shortcoming. When you said that, you responded to a message that I posted that was saying that it seemed to me that Robert was saying that God had created Adam in such a way that Adam was incapable of loving God enough to obey the command to refrain from eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Not only that but it seemed to me that Robert was saying that God was proving that to Adam with regard to the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Now if you agree with what Robert seems to be saying then both you and Robert seem to be saying the reason Adam sinned is because of the way God created him, meaning it seems you're saying it was impossible for Adam to love God enough to be obedient to him simply because of his love for him. If you believe that the deficiency in Adam was that he was incapable of loving God enough to exercise faith in him because of his love for God then you're saying that God created Adam with the inability to love him enough to be obedient to him. Satan has said in the scriptures that he can cause anyone to fall into sin, because of their lack of love for God. So if you believe that the deficiency that was in Adam was his inablity of loving God enough to be obedient to God then you are siding with Satan.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said you believed that God created Adam with a deficiency a shortcoming. When you said that, you responded to a message that I posted that was saying that it seemed to me that Robert was saying that God had created Adam in such a way that Adam was incapable of loving God enough to obey the command to refrain from eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Not only that but it seemed to me that Robert was saying that God was proving that to Adam with regard to the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Now if you agree with what Robert seems to be saying then both you and Robert seem to be saying the reason Adam sinned is because of the way God created him, meaning it seems you're saying it was impossible for Adam to love God enough to be obedient to him simply because of his love for him. If you believe that the deficiency in Adam was that he was incapable of loving God enough to exercise faith in him because of his love for God then you're saying that God created Adam with the inability to love him enough to be obedient to him. Satan has said in the scriptures that he can cause anyone to fall into sin, because of their lack of love for God. So if you believe that the deficiency that was in Adam was his inablity of loving God enough to be obedient to God then you are siding with Satan.

What I said was . . . what I think is . . . Only One is good, God. God declared Man to be good. To reconcile these statements, I understand that Jesus is speaking in terms of an Absolute, that the Eternal and Unchanging God is Good. When God created, when He made Man, He declared Man "good", man was good, but not in the same way that God is good.

I see this as God's intrinsic goodness, and He does not change, compared to Man's imparted goodness, and subject to change. And in this I see the impecability of God, as goodness is His very nature, and the pecability of Man. Hopefully this will clarify. I'm not making any statement at all about Adam's ability to love God, I really don't have the slightest idea about that.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think God knew what He was doing. He put the serpent, who was cunning and deceptive in the Garden with them.
Did you ever wonder why He allowed a creature that was already evil in there to tempt them? He knew what would happen. It was a necessary evil.
I doubt God God put the Serpent there with evil intention. Either Satan shape shifted or he used the snake as a medium.
If you believe God is in any way in cahoots with Satan in any form you have not understood the immensity of the sacrifice of Jesus.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt God God put the Serpent there with evil intention. Either Satan shape shifted or he used the snake as a medium.
If you believe God is in any way in cahoots with Satan in any form you have not understood the immensity of the sacrifice of Jesus.
:(

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm of the opinion that God had created 5 living creatures to be around His throne, each the pinnacle of it's sort, one like an Ox, the greatest of domesticated animals, the Lion, greatest of the wild animals, the Eagle, greatest of flying animals, the Dragon, the greatest of the reptiles, and Man, greatest of all.

I think that when the dragon realized that Man was intended by God to be elevated above him, he became envious, and rebelled. Having rebelled, he then attempted to subvert what God was doing, but God allowed him because it would test man, and reveal his innate weakness. That revealing would also begin the remediation process by which that weakness could be purged while still allowing God plan to go forward, to have a family of those who desired to be His family.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm of the opinion that God had created 5 living creatures to be around His throne, each the pinnacle of it's sort, one like an Ox, the greatest of domesticated animals, the Lion, greatest of the wild animals, the Eagle, greatest of flying animals, the Dragon, the greatest of the reptiles, and Man, greatest of all.

I think that when the dragon realized that Man was intended by God to be elevated above him, he became envious, and rebelled. Having rebelled, he then attempted to subvert what God was doing, but God allowed him because it would test man, and reveal his innate weakness. That revealing would also begin the remediation process by which that weakness could be purged while still allowing God plan to go forward, to have a family of those who desired to be His family.

Much love!
hmmmm, quiet a hypothesis, marks!

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Adam disobayed God. That is what the wicked do, and he was thrust out from the presence of God and that is what happens to the wicked, but please think want you like, because do you know what, I do not care.

Again I disagree ,Peter denied Christ 3 times, was he wicked ?

As for me thinking what I want , I will and I don't think that comment was necessary as this is a discussion place for Christians and if you don't care ,why are you here?

Reactions: quietthinker

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I care about the Bible and not the opinions of those who compare Adam's disobedience with Peter's situation. So, welcome to my ignore list.
Cooper, Cooper, Cooper, why are you so proud?

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
I care about the Bible and not the opinions of those who compare Adam's disobedience with Peter's totally different situation. So, welcome to my ignore list.

Okay Mr I care about the Bible , where in scripture does it say Adam was wicked ?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen to that Chris, I can't for the life of me understand why most of the world chooses to side with Satan, does that make any sense to you? Taking advantage of that provision, not only results in eternal blessings, but the best life possible right now.
Hello @Robert Gwin,

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 makes sense of it, doesn't it?:-

'But if our gospel be hid,
it is hid to them that are lost:
In whom the god of this world
(Satan)
hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,
lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ,
Who is the image of God,
should shine unto them.'

(2 Corinthians 4:3)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Cooper

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Thou art worthy, O Lord,
to receive glory and honour and power:
for Thou hast created all things,
and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.'

(Rev 4:11)

Hello there,

Prior to eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil Adam and Eve were in a state of innocence: it is knowledge that brings responsibility and therefore accountability and judgment.

In their state of innocence God had walked and talked with Adam and Eve, He sought them, He called them (Genesis3:8-9). They had no fear, no sense of guilt, no self-consciousness, nothing to mar the joy of being in His presence. After they received the knowledge of good and evil, guilt and fear entered and they hid from God. How sad this must have made God: for we were made for His pleasure.

* Compare the depth of grief that God felt later in the days of Noah:- Genesis 6:5-6

'And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth,
and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
And it repented the LORD that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart.'

* How wonderful that now, In Christ Jesus, we can come into His presence where there is fulness of joy and pleasures for evermore (Psalm 16:11). God has provided the way for paradise to be restored, in and through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. It will come to pass as He has said.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good:
(H2896)
and God divided the light from the darkness.'
(Gen 1:3-4)

Hello there,

I opened my Bible to the first chapter of Genesis and started to read, and was arrested by the word 'good', for I remembered a debate in which it was argued that if everything that God made was good how could evil come from it? or something to that effect.

In my Bible's marginal notes the word, 'good' equals 'beautiful', and reference is made to Ecclesiastes 3:11, and I'm sorry but I have to quote it within it's context (ie., vv. 10-15):-

'What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?
I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.
.. He hath made every thing beautiful in His time:
(H3303)
.... also He hath set the world (ie., the age) in their heart,
...... so that no man can find out the work that God maketh
........ from the beginning to the end.
I know that there is no good in them,
.. but for a man to rejoice,
.... and to do good in his life.
...... And also that every man should eat and drink,
........ and enjoy the good of all his labour,
.......... it is the gift of God.
I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever:
.. nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it:
.... and God doeth it, that men should fear before Him.
That which hath been is now;
.. and that which is to be hath already been;
.... and God requireth that which is past.'

* This is an amazing portion of Scripture, and deserves to be considered for it's own sake, doesn't it. (Feel free to do that if you would like)

* So, the word, 'good' in Genesis 1:3-4 has the meaning of 'beautiful' in this context: and not 'good' in a moral sense, yes? Each day's work is called 'good' except the second day, in which nothing was created only divided (vv. 6-8).

* The word 'world', when translated from ('Kosmos' G2889) means a decoration, or an adorning too.

Any thoughts?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

i must of posted it many times:
only God is good therefore He knows good and what is good, which in that He is the Judge of what is good and evil for His creation and the creatures therein, no exceptions.

man has decided otherwise. Man is God's place in the earth, therefore what is of otherwise is out of place. that which does not belong in the light is in darkness, where it belongs. but if what belongs in darkness is in the place that is for light, this is not good, it is evil.

hence the present condition of man who sees that he himself is the judge of what is good and evil. not only for himself but the world around him. whereas Jesus says that man is to live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. not some, not most, every.

Jesus is the Word of God made flesh and has given that Life that He lives as the Beloved Son of God to the born again. seeing He is the Word of God it stands to reason that His Life is every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. as in the fulfillment there of.

which by the way was the life that Adam and Eve were supposed to live:

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

in creation days one might notice that God is the Judge of what is good, when He declares it good then its fulfilled to His satisfaction.

the Torah i do believe uses the word Elohim is used where "God" is used and Elohim means Creator and Judge. and Jude is the part most omit in their thoughts on creation.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Robert Gwin,

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 makes sense of it, doesn't it?:-

'But if our gospel be hid,
it is hid to them that are lost:
In whom the god of this world
(Satan)
hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,
lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ,
Who is the image of God,
should shine unto them.'

(2 Corinthians 4:3)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Sadly, yes it does. satan is very good at what he does. But there is one thing I might add, he only has power over those who let him maam. It has to do with the illustration of the soil, as to how the seeds we sow, grow. (That poet and don't know it thing) ;)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

'And He said unto him,
"Why callest Thou Me good?
(agathos - G18)
there is none good but One,