Good wedding vow? "Lorena" by Reverend Henry Webster

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Dwight

Mar 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey guys, I was wondering if I was going to have a wedding, if you guys like your vow in song, like "Lorena"?
We can analyze it off the top of my head a little. First what was the historical environment? Dating developed in the 50's and anything besides marriage maybe in the 80's, before this was Courting obviously, and I think the gentleman's Reputation Faired Better, with the presentation to his broken off engagement with society. Its written by a Reverend and I think it is very reflective if not direct about Protestant Reformed values, and women's choices. If this were My wedding vow, doesn't it reinforce how this choice is presented without harm on a woman's conscience before she were to give, an "I do". First off, its a private letter, so it starts with pleasantries of acquaintances, like the change of weather. The weather has changed for the worse with time. However, the heart does Not change, and is warm like summer. The speaker has even not been near this person for 100 months, but wishes to write full admiration to a family and a woman who did move on to another marriage, and "admirers" were more common particularly for married women.

Then, a particular account is made that they were due to arrive at Church, for the "wedding Service"! Oh my! However, "Duty" did prevent that woman from accepting, due to financial and family arrangement concerns, and, it closes, in the here after, we are all laid together without division. What do you think for my stated purpose of it and the theme theologically? Thanks.