Greatest Idol of Today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I find internet/smart phone/electronics my biggest downfall. I find myself hoping for a rapture, because mankind already is sucked into the internet world. It has become a world all on its own that mankind has been taking part of.

I cut the cable about 15 years ago. At the time I was worried how I was ever going to get through the day without being able to see what was on television. Now I can't figure out how I could have gotten anything done with it. I still have a laptop, and a smartphone, but I don't have a Facebook account, or a Twitter account or any of those other social/networking apps. I also still write things down with a pen and paper because that's part of the real world, and I can look at all the things I need to do today on that notepad. When I see what I have to do, I go and do those things, and when I have some time left over, I check my email, and occasionally purchase something that is available, or cheaper to buy online than at the local hardware store, Walmart, etc.

Becoming aware that it is a problem is lightyears away from the rest of the world. Most people are oblivious. The task is to turn it all off and tune into what's really important. I go out into the wilderness when I have the chance because it resets my internal clock. I go to sleep when the sun goes down and wake up before it comes up. Staring into that glowing screen at 3 am is the best way to completely destroy so many of the natural processes in your body and mind.

I was looking at some investment literature a while ago, and they were bragging about how their technologies are so efficient at hooking people. The list of companies that already utilize these technologies was quite extensive. If you find yourself wondering if anyone has posted something on Facebook, or if anyone has responded to something you posted online, it's because these technologies aggressively wear down our addictive personalities, and have us hooked.

The best way I've found to deal with it is to simply practice turning everything off. Even if it's only for just a few minutes while you go out to get the mail, or take out the trash. I've also noticed that it's much easier to do when living out in the country rather than in a metropolitan area. I just have more to do out here than I did when I lived in the city. At least more that doesn't require modern electronic technologies. I've got chickens to feed, compost piles to turn, weeds to pull, veggies to pick, soil that needs tilling, etc. If I didn't enjoy it so much, it would be a never ending job.

These technologies should be complimentary, not supplementary.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave up tv years ago and now I can’t really tolerate commercials or the constant recaps - 20 minutes of new information for every 50 minute show, I do not miss it. The only social app I have ever had is fb, but I rarely use it. I do post here quite often and I read a lot

I think our opinion is our greatest idol

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave up tv years ago and now I can’t really tolerate commercials or the constant recaps - 20 minutes of new information for every 50 minute show, I do not miss it. The only social app I have ever had is fb, but I rarely use it. I do post here quite often and I read a lot

I think our opinion is our greatest idol

Took the words right out of my mouth Ron. It has been decades since I sat in front of the TV...I will watch a movie now and then and that is usually on my laptop. Facebook is something I rarely go on but, as of late...I do check it a couple times a week as, Helen, Epi, Triumph are "friends" on my FB, and I like to check in once in awhile. I'm a reader as well. TV makes me restless...so many other things to do like, loving our neighbors ♥

Reactions: aspen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mayflower,
I will.

If I might suggest, set aside some time every day, to turn off all your elctronics, and sit quietly in contemplative prayer...

'Be still and know that HE is GOD'

Peace be with you!

Been easy in Colorado to do this with the reception. I have to sit at the kitchen table in the only corner that works. :D but it has been nice.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I seen a mate get into facebook and he lives it, if I went over to his place I may as well not of been their really, if he was not looking at it or trying to show or tell me about what he was doing on it, it's become his life and I think that he feels empowered by it.

It's the power of such a social media that he is ranting on about I think for one. not to mention they feel educated, but from what I can tell much of what he is telling me truly lacks depth and is manly just social twaddle under the veneer of political correctness that just turns people into shallow simple minded morons.

A brothers girl friend is a facebook junky as well, one has to be mindful when speak to her because she will be on FB directly, not to mention she shows ever meal she eats, where she is going, for all to know even when they are going away for the day, when my brother says not to mind, because thieves will know they are not home, but she does not care at all as she has nothing at all. as everything she has is all on hock. not to mention that that's typical of new age of dills.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greatest Idol of today:
The wafer (and wine); which the Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Church teach is God Himself.
That's over 1 billion professing Christians who worship this idol.

TheWind

Aug 3, 2019
ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find internet/smart phone/electronics my biggest downfall. I find myself hoping for a rapture, because mankind already is sucked into the internet world. It has become a world all on its own that mankind has been taking part of. So much of buying and selling is already done by computer/electronic registers. I feel as if God is telling me to give up electronics completely. I have no idea where to begin. I can't just take up into the country and become Amish. Though a lot live around here. I just wonder how to train my daughter up in this electronic world and how to gain self discipline. I definitely have a lack of it. Pray for me. I want to pray for better willpower. I know I can do things only in Christ's strength. But limits are hard for me. It is an all or nothing sort of thing. Anyone struggle with this? What are y'alls thoughts on today's electronic world? Depression and teen suicide is up. They link this to smart phones. It is becoming a big problem. I don't want to be desensitized where I just say okay to anything. I had a dream a long time back about bowing down to the antichrist. That is something I never want to do. But when we make ourselves idols, in a way we are doing just that. In Matthew, Jesus says His yoke is easy and His burden is light. That is what I desire.
The greatest idol today is man.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greatest Idol of today:
The wafer (and wine); which the Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Church teach is God Himself.

Do you claim to have read that in your idol?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
A car and a cell phone... What's she doing, ordering pizza or something? I remember watching a commercial where the cat said humans have the coolest toys because they can talk into them and pizza arrives at the door.
She knows how to hold a cup really good.
I say washing the dinner dishes comes next.
Why waste a good grip?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Greatest Idol of today:
The wafer MIGHT BE the body and blood of Jesus.
We won't know FOR SURE till we get to the pearly gates....
But I wouldn't put it down.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am critical of the Vatican at times - I am not over identified with Catholicism, but I believe the Eucharist is the Real Presence

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wafer MIGHT BE the body and blood of Jesus.
We won't know FOR SURE till we get to the pearly gates....
But I wouldn't put it down.

2 Corinthians 4:18
"...while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
2 Corinthians 5:7
"For we walk by faith, not by sight."

The Wafer is either God, or not God.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greatest Idol of today:
I thought they said it was the Blood and Body of Christ. I've never heard a Catholic or Orthodox person say it is God. What are you talking about?

If it is plain bread and wine, how could partaking of it unworthily possibly lead someone to damnation?

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

They don't discern what it is. Many people do not.

Reactions: amadeus

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
2 Corinthians 4:18
"...while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
2 Corinthians 5:7
"For we walk by faith, not by sight."

The Wafer is either God, or not God.
Depends which church you attend...
just like everything else.

Jesus said: THIS IS MY BODY.
Jesus said: THIS IS MY BLOOD.

He said to remember this.

Your verses have nothing to do with this concept, IMO.

I'm saying we cannot know something like this FOR SURE.
Even Luther believed in the real presence,,,which is almost the same.

I'm just not willing to debate this...
I don't understand how anyone could be so sure of this...
incl my brother (we're both protestant) with whom I've had many discussions.
He's like you...certain.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I thought they said it was the Blood and Body of Christ. I've never heard a Catholic or Orthodox person say it is God. What are you talking about?

If it is plain bread and wine, how could partaking of it unworthily possibly lead someone to damnation?

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

They don't discern what it is. Many people do not.
If it's the body and blood of Christ,,,then it IS God !
Transubstantiation....it become, literally, Christ.

Have you considered the reverence that is given to the host?
Some priests refuse to give it in the hand.
It it falls everyone gasps.
Some have said to bleed...
etc.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wafer and wine are changed to the body and the blood of Christ - yes it is God.

Reactions: Philip James