Greek Dative of Reference

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PaNo

May 7, 2023
Bonn
Faith
Christian
Country
Germany
Can you tell me if this is correct?

Dative of reference / reference
There are different dative types, depending on the context.
In Rom. 6,10+11 the dative of reference is used.
This is where the word "for" comes from in the translation because it denotes a reference. In German, however, it is often understood to mean that person A does something for person B. From the meaning, however, it is to be handed down that the life we have now is divine. Life has the direct relationship with God. It originates from God and is from God. That is, for us, we "live God." We live him out. We live in him. Through him. And towards him.
Therefore the word "for" is a very unfavorable translation in Romans 6:10,11 (see also Gal. 2:19; 2 Cor. 5:15).

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you tell me if this is correct?

Dative of reference / reference
There are different dative types, depending on the context.
In Rom. 6,10+11 the dative of reference is used.
This is where the word "for" comes from in the translation because it denotes a reference. In German, however, it is often understood to mean that person A does something for person B. From the meaning, however, it is to be handed down that the life we have now is divine. Life has the direct relationship with God. It originates from God and is from God. That is, for us, we "live God." We live him out. We live in him. Through him. And towards him.
Therefore the word "for" is a very unfavorable translation in Romans 6:10,11 (see also Gal. 2:19; 2 Cor. 5:15).
For is the connector Pano. Keep in mind the Bible didn't have verses or chapters or even books when it was originally penned. The old testament had been combined and did exist in Jesus' day, as many of the terms he quoted as well as the apostles as found in the new testament were quoted from the Greek Septuagint available in his day. I think it was sometime in the late 1400's to early 1500's when the first complete Bible was compiled. I am not sure. But the wording of each version was at the discretion of the translator, and every version I looked at led into verse 10 using the word for thus a continuation of what was said in verse 9.