Heaven vs paradise

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Greek word for paradise is G3827 παράδεισος. It appears 27 times in LXX.

Brenton Septuagint Translation, Genesis 2:

8 And God planted a garden [G3827 ] eastward in Edem, and placed there the man whom he had formed.
A paradise seems to be some concept of heaven with physicality.

In the NT, G3827 appears only three times.

Jesus told the repentant thief on the cross in Luk 23:

43 And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Paul seemed to equate Paradise to 3rd heaven in 2 Corinthians 12:

2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of it I do not know, but God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or out of it I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to Paradise. The things he heard were too sacred for words, things that man is not permitted to tell.
John alluded to Genesis 2 with Rev 2:

7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’
In the future, we will live in a renewed version of the Garden of Eden/paradise.

The word heaven is general and polysemantic, while paradise, more specifically, refers to some form of heaven with a physical reality.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In the future, we will live in a renewed version of the Garden of Eden/paradise.

The word heaven is general and polysemantic, while paradise, more specifically, refers to some form of heaven with a physical reality.
Well you need to understand that Paradise was also known as Abrahams Bosom/ sheol/hades/hell, the place where dead souls go. In Jesus day there were three compartments of sheol/hades/hell/ grave, tartarus- where the angels of Gensis 6 are chained, the place of torments where the rich man of Lazarus and all lost go, and Paradise, where the righteous souls went prior to Jesus ascension.

When Jesus ascended He took paradise/ Abrahams bosom with him so now in the world of the dead there is the place of torments and tartarus.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe heaven is peace of mind. Peace of mind is attained by repenting of our sin (Matthew 4:17).

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
reference?
Well this is hard as Paradise and Abrahams bosom have very little refeence to them.

But it was a common teaching of Israel that the righteous when they died went to
Abrahams Bosom/ Paradise awaiting the resurrection for the promised kingdom (Israel never had a heavenly hope like the church has)

See Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum 4 volume series "The life of Jesus the Messiah.

When Jesus died, He did not go to heaven, but went to hades/sheol/hell/grave to preach to the souls in prison. 1 Peter 3:19 and He promised that the penitnet thief would be with him in paradise that day.