Greetings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NuclearDruid

May 13, 2007
Hello!I'd just like to start out by saying I am not a Christain. So now that's out of the way I've registered because I am curious on the Christain point of view things as of late. I'm not here for debating, that gets no where with religion!A little about myself,I was raised Christain for my whole life. First was introduced to Catholic on my Father's side, then later, got introduced to Luthern on my Mother's side. Needless to say, there's hardly a difference between the two (Kind of confused where there is such a huge controversy on which branch is right).About the age of 12 I've started questioning what I was raised with. So I started out looking at other religions and their beliefs, thinking I could just go out there and choose one that I liked best. Turns out that's not exactly the best idea, mainly due to the fact you actually have to "believe" what they teach. It's hard to do that when you know there are so many religions out there that could be right.Later I've started questioning the existance of a God, a higher up. The internet was my main resource for that then. There is no offline material around here that questions religion. I've decided that you can't really disprove god, but nor can you prove him. When I came to that realization I asked myself, can you really disprove or prove anything outside Mathematics and Predicate Logic? The answer is no, there could just as equally be little spirits governing everything that goes on around you. There could also be an invisible fairy the floats in the clouds that governs what people are feeling. Over all I just didn't buy it anymore. The answer of what started the Universe, we will never know. Frankly because, we can't dig up the start of the universe from our earth. If there is an origin, it's out there in space, not here on earth. We need to go out and find it ourselves, or we can sit here and make assumptions of what seems to be "right".I already get discriminated for that at my school, but you know, it really doesn't matter to me.Even if I am wrong, so will many, many other people. For they do not follow the same religion. Most of the world is damned for Hell, or any other place of punishment depending on the religion. So I'm comfortable with the fact that I am atheist. Hey, I'm still a young'un, maybe you can convert me?
tongue.gif
Anyways, my hobbies consist of reading, listening to music, playing simulators on my computer, or just being with friends. I look forward to talking to you all soon!Note: It seems many people take offense in simply knowing the fact I am atheist. If you are one of them, please don't respond to this, it will only end in argument.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
Greetings, NuclearDruid.I, too, was raised Christian, but I have elected to stay that way. I do hear what you are saying about Catholic and Lutheran. They can seem very similar. However, traditional Lutheran thought is anti-Catholic, so I am reasonably sure the two groups don't consider themselves the same.
smile.gif
Religion can be like that. However, as a point of interest, one of the Lutheran groups (uh, maybe ELCA) and the Catholic Church have engaged in dialogue on salvation, etc. and come to some agreements. So a tiny bit of a wound is healing.I felt discrimination for my religion as a youth as well. This is the way of things, I suppose. Do you realize that Christians are still martyred for the faith in other countries? Life is like that.

NuclearDruid

May 13, 2007
Just about every belief out there has it somewhere. Atheism is the least trusted minority in America, and America has the lowest number of atheists. It's all a matter of how the country is developed and who's running it really.Thanks for the welcome!
smile.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Welcome to Christianity Board. Hope you enjoy your stay here.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

HeatherLeigh7

Mar 22, 2007
Welcome NuclearDruid. Probably the reason that you don't believe is because of the milky-ness or syrupy teachings that you will hear in abundance in churches..sorry if I offended anyone, but who can believe most of the stuff that they teach. I have had the priviledge of studying the Bible since I was 10 years old without being in church. There are many things that are missing from what you may have been taught in church not allowing you to connect the dots. If that makes any sense. I suggest that if you are interested in learning more study the Three World Ages. It aligns up with science very well on how old the Earth is. God created it eons ago. There may be a link to a study on here...let me go look and I'll be right back!

nike

Jul 20, 2007
Your on this site so your still seeking truth; your not likely to find it in most of the churches today no matter what they call themselves. I have not found one that teaches the parable of the tares. I would recommend the newsletter "The True Sin in the Garden of Eden" on this site; I have not found a church that teaches this truth either. If you take the OT back to the Hebrew it is made clear what really happened there. Most People (christians) are just not able to understand (or will not allow themselves to be open to) this basic truth that will make to Bible easier to understand. The rapture theory is only about two hundred years old (and bunk) why would we want to "fly away" when there will be so much work to be done here. Speaking in tongues, as it is done in the churches today, is not biblical (and bunk), Acts 2 vs 6 says "every man heard them (the disciples) in his own language" not something that sounds and is bable. Are you aware of the first earth age (the foundation) before this earth age, when satan led a third of God's children astray? It's the real reason we are here now. In His service, Nike (overcomer in Greek) Chuck

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
I definitely agree. So many churches these days are wishy-washy, don't preach the word, and keep going over the same basic lessons over and over. Very frustrating. Better than nothing, but still frustrating. Glad to see you're on the board here, looking around. If you ever want to talk about why, from a purely scientific point of view, I'm absolutely convinced there is at least some sort of God, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. Glad to know you're not here for argument/debate though. Totally pointless. Look forward to talking with you later.

barshaddai

Aug 2, 2007
If you read your bible from the old testatment, you will discover that no matter how far the children of Isreal derailed or desserted God, God always had a remnant (of children) reserved for Himself, who continued, no matter how bad things seem to be going in the church today; which is nothing new of cause, there are not too many choices for supposed child of God, you either determine to be amongst God's remnant (remnant are not critics), those who are actually backslidding (usually they are the last to know it) or those who are just plain enemies of God. which of these 3 is it going to be?

brotherbernard

Jul 11, 2007
Good morning all and welcome nucleardave,I thought that I would just share a thought about mathematics and the tendency for some folks to associate it with objective truth. First let me say that I realize that without the use of mathematics we would never have gone to the moon, erected fantastic monuments of engineering and discovered other hard or semi hard sciences. Mathematics is a wonderful tool for discovering the universe around us, but it still relies upon human rational thought.When I was in college, a professor in one of my classes took up the challenge of a bright young student who insisted that objective truth and reality can be found through the use of the hard science of mathematics. The professor went to the blackboard and wrote upon it 2+3=5 and then asked the class, "Is this simple mathematical formula scientifically verifiable (remember: scientific proof rests upon empirical evidence which is data gathered by the five human senses)". Immediately the young student shouted "yes" and proceeded to demonstrate that he could empirically represent the numerical values of 2,3, and 5 with pencils and thus prove the objective truth of the formula empirically or scientifically. "Ah yes", responded the professor slowly, "but how do you empirically represent the concepts of addition and equalization?" At that, the student fell silent scratching his head. The professor continued, "you see, even in the so-called "hard science" of mathematics, an element of rationalism and human reasoning must exist to comprehend the meaning of certain symbols. Even if the ratio of empirical evidence to human reasoning is 100000:1 or greater, the very existence of human reasoning in the process invalidates the claim that mathematics is objective truth based upon the scientific method. Thus, one can say that nothing is entirely objective in the human experience because it contains the element of subjective human reasoning". The class remained silent at this until one brave individual remarked, "but that means that nothing within the human experience can be proven objectively - that everything boils down to an exercise in human interpretation". "Exactly" responded the professor, "in fact, when you think about it (no pun intended) even the empirical evidence representing the simple fact that you are sitting in my class must be processed through the filter of human reasoning and thus must be held in suspect". In my humble opinion, objective Truth does exist, but we cannot prove it objectively. It takes the element and exercise of faith to accept it as a reality - something that comes to us from outside the human experience and which involves a leap of faith. That goes for everything and anything. Now, that means that everything and anything may qualify as truth. And while that much is true, there must be something that helps us to choose the best system of believing in something - something that comes as close to objective truth as possible. I believe that that something is "love". Even though love is a subjective human experience it still registers pretty high on the scale of what is good and true in the human experience. And, it sure is easy to discern when it is contrasted with its opposite - greed, pride, selfishness, and evil! Yes, it is true, we cannot even trust ourselves to define what "love" is, but when a vast community of individuals across thousands of years all gravitate in unison to one particular source or representation of what "love" is, well, I for one will sit up and take notice of it. I guess that is why I am a believer in the God who is love. For me, He is my objective Truth, Truth that I accept by faith existing outside of human experience. He breaks into the world of subjective human existence every once in awhile - to help us understand Him and have faith in who He is. One of those faith creating moments was the Incarnation of Himself as the Messiah, i.e., the Christ. Oh, I guess I could on and on so please forgive my long windedness. Continue to follow what you believe to be true and good and you will eventually arrive at the Source. God speed.Christ plus nothing,Bernard