Halloween Street Preaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you watch the video?
Yes: and I stand by my statement.
This video exemplifies and justifies fear-based evangelism. It is not of Christ and rather mocks HIs ways in favor of fear.
It does not make disciples or build relationships. It only generates children fearful of a father figure.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes: and I stand by my statement.
This video exemplifies and justifies fear-based evangelism. It is not of Christ and rather mocks HIs ways in favor of fear.
It does not make disciples or build relationships. It only generates children fearful of a father figure.
Wow, how did you get that out of the video?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me put is this way. If you think that the video is designed to cause fear, then you missed the point of it.
Ends don't justify means.
And fear-based evangelism never makes a true disciples. Yes, you can scare people into falling into line, showing up to church, reciting a prayer, whatever. But not love & true discipleship.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ends don't justify means.
And fear-based evangelism never makes a true disciples. Yes, you can scare people into falling into line, showing up to church, reciting a prayer, whatever. But not love & true discipleship.
Let me ask you a question. You mentioned your daughter in a post recently. When she was very young, did you ever warn her that if she touched a hot stove, she could burn herself? Or about other dangers and their consequences?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you a question. You mentioned your daughter in a post recently. When she was very young, did you ever warn her that if she touched a hot stove, she could burn herself? Or about other dangers and their consequences?
We've been over this: there's a difference between acknowledging that there's is danger, verses it being the center point of evangelicalism.
I do not advocate for not acknoweding that there are dangers. But I do advocate against fear-centered evangelicalism.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've been over this: there's a difference between acknowledging that there's is danger, verses it being the center point of evangelicalism.
I do not advocate for not acknoweding that there are dangers. But I do advocate against fear-centered evangelicalism.

Okay, but people who refuse God's provision for salvation are in danger of eternal damnation. Consider what John 3 says, that they are condemned already. I realize that there are people who don't believe this is the case, but I believe the Bible teaches otherwise. So, failing to warn people of this truth would not be loving at all.

Sometimes we have to understand the danger to appreciate the remedy, the bad news before they can desire the Good News. People have to be warned that they stand condemned before God unless they accept His provision of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ--in His finished work on the cross. Then, and only then, do they receive the right to called sons of God and disciples of Christ.

John 3:16-20
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but people who refuse God's provision for salvation are in danger of eternal damnation. Consider what John 3 says, that they are condemned already. I realize that there are people who don't believe this is the case, but I believe the Bible teaches otherwise. So, failing to warn people of this truth would not be loving at all.

Sometimes we have to understand the danger to appreciate the remedy, the bad news before they can desire the Good News. People have to be warned that they stand condemned before God unless they accept His provision of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ--in His finished work on the cross. Then, and only then, do they receive the right to called sons of God and disciples of Christ.

John 3:16-20
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
Again: I do not advocate for not acknoweding that there are dangers. But I do advocate against fear-centered evangelicalism.

"Cliff" analogies are fear-based evangelicalism.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again: I do not advocate for not acknoweding that there are dangers. But I do advocate against fear-centered evangelicalism.

"Cliff" analogies are fear-based evangelicalism.

Well, then consider this. People who are not saved are condemned already based on John 3. So, that means that they are like a condemned criminal headed for execution. Now, that criminal can appeal to the judge for a stay of execution based on certain stipulations.

This is a picture of the lost person. They will CONTINUE in their condemnation unless they appeal to the Supreme Judge and come to Him on His terms. Of course, the only way to get that "stay of execution" is to believe in Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 15:3-6--lI delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died mfor our sins nin accordance with the Scriptures, oon the third day pin accordance with the Scriptures, qhe appeared to Cephas, then rto the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, then consider this. People who are not saved are condemned already based on John 3. So, that means that they are like a condemned criminal headed for execution. Now, that criminal can appeal to the judge for a stay of execution based on certain stipulations.

This is a picture of the lost person. They will CONTINUE in their condemnation unless they appeal to the Supreme Judge and come to Him on His terms. Of course, the only way to get that "stay of execution" is to believe in Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 15:3-6--lI delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died mfor our sins nin accordance with the Scriptures, oon the third day pin accordance with the Scriptures, qhe appeared to Cephas, then rto the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.
This isn't something we're going to agree on, because I don't believe ends justify means.
If I were to beat a person until they recited a Sinner's Prayer, am I doing the Lord's work?
If I were to blatantly threaten until they recited a Sinner's Prayer, am I doing the Lord's work?
If I were to subtly threaten until they recited a Sinner's Prayer, am I doing the Lord's work?

For me, the answer is a resounding "no" to all of those. Again, it's not something we're going to agree on.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This isn't something we're going to agree on, because I don't believe ends justify means.
If I were to beat a person until they recited a Sinner's Prayer, am I doing the Lord's work?
If I were to blatantly threaten until they recited a Sinner's Prayer, am I doing the Lord's work?
If I were to subtly threaten until they recited a Sinner's Prayer, am I doing the Lord's work?

For me, the answer is a resounding "no" to all of those. Again, it's not something we're going to agree on.
You can't beat anyone into getting saved. That's ridiculous. But we can speak the truth to them that they are a sinner in need of a Savior.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't beat anyone into getting saved. That's ridiculous. But we can speak the truth to them that they are a sinner in need of a Savior.

Using fear-based evangelism is threatening.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't I just say that you can't beat someone into getting saved? But telling them about their condemned state is not beating them. It's telling them the truth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But, when a person preaches or teaches a hellfire message to a person, is he not prejudging a person he does not know at all? Why should you do that? I could think of why we should not but...?

The person is condemned already if he does not know Jesus so would it not better to introduce him to Love of Jesus and the Life of Jesus so as to be lifted up out of that pit... if he appears willing to go that way?

What Jesus offers is Life more abundantly. What a person who does not know Jesus already has is death. Why try to scare him with more of the same? He needs no help to understand about the pit. He needs help to understand that there is something infinitely better available.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't I just say that you can't beat someone into getting saved? But telling them about their condemned state is not beating them. It's telling them the truth.
I 100% agree you can't beat/threaten someone into being a disciple of Christ.
Which is why fear-based evangelism does not make disciples of Christ, and while such methods (including street searching, burning analogies, cliff analogies, etc) do not work and I advocate against them.