Halloween Street Preaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly do. Many, many thousands of Fundamentalist, using their "revered and God Authorized" KJV, (facetiousness intended) conclude that Luke 14:26 tells us we must hate our entire families in order to be Jesus' disciples.
Your words, (quoted above), claim that since a certain group (be it those guys, or the Vatican guys) declare a passage means "such-and-so" — no individuals have any right to read it differently.
And I say that isn't so, since the Bible consistently and repeatedly tells us to make up our own minds, and to decide for ourselves about a variety of declarations made therein.
Hi Willie,

If we have the right to individually and personally decide what the truth of Scripture is then please don't EVER tell me I am wrong about my or the CC interpretation of Scripture. According to your theory we will always both be right.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh well, maybe you will understand one day.
Wow....what a dodge....o_O

I thought you were prepared. Your not....:( 1 Peter 3:15

What is there for me to understand? According to your theory we can all individually interpret Scripture and we are right...no matter how crazy our interpretation is. I'm right...your right....Calvin was right...the CC is right....Luther was right....Joseph Smith was right....Fred Phelps was right....Sun Myung Moon was right.....David Koresh was right...EVERYONE is right....the Protestant churches that teach that abortion and gay marriage is blessed by God is right.

Sooooo just to be CLEAR....at no time and never on ANY DAY will I EVER understand your belief and what you have written since it is opposite of what Scripture says.

Mary

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow....what a dodge....o_O

I thought you were prepared. Your not....:( 1 Peter 3:15

What is there for me to understand? According to your theory we can all individually interpret Scripture and we are right...no matter how crazy our interpretation is. I'm right...your right....Calvin was right...the CC is right....Luther was right....Joseph Smith was right....Fred Phelps was right....Sun Myung Moon was right.....David Koresh was right...EVERYONE is right....the Protestant churches that teach that abortion and gay marriage is blessed by God is right.

Sooooo just to be CLEAR....at no time and never on ANY DAY will I EVER understand your belief and what you have written since it is opposite of what Scripture says.

Mary
I thought people here might not be giving you a fair chance, but I see I owe them an abject apology. You don't even seem to be capable of comprehending what I posted only one post previously.

Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church is the body of Christ...all those who place their faith in Christ and what He did for them on the Cross.

And I would say that if it is up to the church to interpret scripture, that that is speaking of all of us.

So, @Marymog,

Am I to conclude that you believe that the Catholic Church teaches that it has authority that is greater than that of the Bible? Or, as a Catholic, do you believe that the Bible has authority over the doctrines of the church?

Because if the former, then my original statement was correct, and you were just blowing smoke when you asked me to provide documentation for my statement.

The latter statement is also acceptable to me; because it means that the Bible is the standard by which we judge what is the truth; and that therefore the Catholic Church does not have the authority that you think it has.

So my simple question, @Marymog, is, which position do you hold to as a Catholic?

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought people here might not be giving you a fair chance, but I see I owe them an abject apology. You don't even seem to be capable of comprehending what I posted only one post previously.
You didn't answer any of my questions. Sooooo what is there to comprehend? With no answer comes no comprehension.

Perhaps it is the teacher and not the student?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church is the body of Christ...all those who place their faith in Christ and what He did for them on the Cross.
Hi JBF,

I will go with your theory that the Church is all those who place their faith in Christ.

There are several billion Christians in this world. Scripture says that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth (1 timothy 3:15). Which one of the billions of Christians on this earth is the pillar and foundation of truth?

Which one of the billions of Christians has the authority to fulfill the authoritive Church spoken of in Matthew 18:17?

Once you give me a logical answer to both of those questions, which are based on your theory, I will revert back to Protestantism.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought people here might not be giving you a fair chance,....
I often quote Scripture to back up what I believe. Once I do that people here go on the attack like you did by saying, "You don't even seem to be capable of comprehending..." That my Christian friend is what we call a cop out.

I comprehend very well. Perhaps it is the messenger that is unable to comprehend Scripture and properly convey it?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi JBF,

I will go with your theory that the Church is all those who place their faith in Christ.

There are several billion Christians in this world. Scripture says that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth (1 timothy 3:15). Which one of the billions of Christians on this earth is the pillar and foundation of truth?

Which one of the billions of Christians has the authority to fulfill the authoritive Church spoken of in Matthew 18:17?

Once you give me a logical answer to both of those questions, which are based on your theory, I will revert back to Protestantism.
Why does it have to be one of them?

I would say that every one of us who believes is the pillar and foundation of the truth; but in context, the scripture in question is referring to the body of Christ when it meets inside of a building.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does it have to be one of them?

I would say that every one of us who believes is the pillar and foundation of the truth; but in context, the scripture in question is referring to the body of Christ when it meets inside of a building.
Well, because Scripture says that The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth and The Church decides who is to be treated as a pagan/tax collector. You are suggesting that everyone is the church. That is IMPOSSIBLE.

But lets go with YOUR theory.

When my 1+ billion Catholics meet inside a building and they disagree with your 1 billion Protestants who meet inside a building which group is the pillar and foundation of truth?

Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, because Scripture says that The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth and The Church decides who is to be treated as a pagan/tax collector. You are suggesting that everyone is the church. That is IMPOSSIBLE.

But lets go with YOUR theory.

When my 1+ billion Catholics meet inside a building and they disagree with your 1 billion Protestants who meet inside a building which group is the pillar and foundation of truth?

Mary
The ones that have the Bible to back up their system of belief.

For believing in Christ implies believing in what His word says.

So if a group of people gathers together and doesn't believe the word of God, can they rightly call themselves believers, or the church?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ones that have the Bible to back up their system of belief.

For believing in Christ implies believing in what His word says.

So if a group of people gathers together and doesn't believe the word of God, can they rightly call themselves believers, or the church?
Hi JBF,

How about we do this kiddo......You answer my question and I will answer yours.

They both have the bible in their hand. They both believe in Christ. They both believe that the bible backs up their system of belief.

Patient Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi JBF,

How about we do this kiddo......You answer my question and I will answer yours.

They both have the bible in their hand. They both believe in Christ. They both believe that the bible backs up their system of belief.

Patient Mary
The answer to my question is the answer to your question.

Sincerely,

@justbyfaith.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They both believe that the bible backs up their system of belief.
My contention is that one of these groups doesn't hold the Bible to be the final authority.

So, where they depart from the Bible and adhere to the doctrines of the church, they are in error.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are suggesting that everyone is the church. That is IMPOSSIBLE.
Not everyone believes in Jesus and what He did for them on the Cross.

Those that truly do believe, have the Holy Spirit to guide them in doctrine.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer to my question is the answer to your question.

Sincerely,

@justbyfaith.
Nice dodge kiddo......I see you can't back up what you believe by using Scripture or logic soooooo I will leave you alone.

One thing to remember: 1 Peter 3:15

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone believes in Jesus and what He did for them on the Cross.

Those that truly do believe, have the Holy Spirit to guide them in doctrine.
Who decides who truly believes and has the HS to guide them? YOU? The CC? The Lutheran Church? Majority rules?

Your statement is very vague and not logical. It's a copout.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My contention is that one of these groups doesn't hold the Bible to be the final authority.

So, where they depart from the Bible and adhere to the doctrines of the church, they are in error.
Who decides they are in error? YOU? That is what it sounds like to little ol' Marymog....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi JBF,

Soooo the group that holds to the bible to be the final authority is the Protestant group? That's how I take your cryptic response.

Weird....since all the Protetestants have different doctrine with some to that doctrine agreeing with Catholic doctrine.

Your theory is flawed kiddo.....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am I to conclude that you believe that the Catholic Church teaches that it has authority that is greater than that of the Bible? Or, as a Catholic, do you believe that the Bible has authority over the doctrines of the church?
Your conclusion is WRONG.....When have I EVER suggested that the CC has greater authority than the bible?????????????????????? You preach what YOU believe....the CC preaches what it believes.....are you really any different than the CC????

Please don't put words in my mouth and when you are ready to have a serious conversation.....let me know.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are the one who said everyone is right in their interpretation. I disagree with you.

According to your theory everyone is right.....Including Fred Phelps. You are the one defending Phelps....not me.

Thank you.