Happiness is their god.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happiness: OED

The state of pleasurable content of mind, which results from success or the attainment of what is considered good.

Happiness Internet:

the state of being happy.

synonyms: pleasure, contentment, satisfaction, cheerfulness, merriment, gaiety, joy, joyfulness, joviality, jollity, glee, delight, good spirits, lightheartedness, well-being, enjoyment;

it seems many think God is to be equated with what one considers happiness and everything else that doesn’t satisfy their need for happiness is evil.

Hence, they wouldn’t be happy to fear God (as the bible instructs many times over) therefore that can’t be their god in their own judgement of what their god is, because by all intents and purposes their god is to make them happy, what they considered good.

and their refusal to acknowledge that one should fear God, is the proof.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would say the pursuit of pleasure is the god/goal, as many people are not happy and they seek happiness in pleasure.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say the pursuit of pleasure is the god/goal, as many people are not happy and they seek happiness in pleasure.

same difference. what ever one considers happiness is one thing idolizing it is another. and it is because western culture does idolize life liberty and the pursuit of happiness according to their own judgement of what that is.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
same difference. what ever one considers happiness is one thing idolizing it is another. and it is because western culture does idolize life liberty and the pursuit of happiness according to their own judgement of what that is.

God never promised Happy, God said that he would Bless. Many start out with the basics, you know! shelter, clothing, food, and a car in this age. But then they become discontent, then they want, better shelter, better clothing, better food, and assuredly a better car, and we as people just continue to chase the carrot of prosperity that this world dangles in front of our nose. now I know that it is written, in Scripture that we should be content with what and where we are at any given time. You are in the world!!! just do not be of IT. If you look like the Heathen, smell like the Heathen, and act like the Heathen, well you might be a Heathen. As believers we should be Peculiar, different, RIGHT!!!!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God never promised Happy, God said that he would Bless. Many start out with the basics, you know! shelter, clothing, food, and a car in this age. But then they become discontent, then they want, better shelter, better clothing, better food, and assuredly a better car, and we as people just continue to chase the carrot of prosperity that this world dangles in front of our nose. now I know that it is written, in Scripture that we should be content with what and where we are at any given time. You are in the world!!! just do not be of IT. If you look like the Heathen, smell like the Heathen, and act like the Heathen, well you might be a Heathen. As believers we should be Peculiar, different, RIGHT!!!!

"God never promised Happy" absolutely correct
and yes its true about once one has necessities we start whining and wanting for more.

its human nature to do and say what ever it takes when one is in the dire need. but once the lacking is over and we find ourselves in prosperity we tend to forget who is taking care of us. hence yes the Lord knows how to get our attention. its easy to reach out to power in humble posture for mercy and grace, but are we still in the same attitude when its over.

the book of judges shows that over and over even as a nation of people. there's a Psalm that declares the same I just don't know which one.

but contentment isn't encouraged in a capitalist society like ours, its basically bad for the economy. want is the engine that brings profit to the advertisers. so we in the US of A have that challenge, so to speak, to keep in perspective the things the Lord has allowed us to have at hand.

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
"God never promised Happy" absolutely correct
and yes its true about once one has necessities we start whining and wanting for more.

its human nature to do and say what ever it takes when one is in the dire need. but once the lacking is over and we find ourselves in prosperity we tend to forget who is taking care of us. hence yes the Lord knows how to get our attention. its easy to reach out to power in humble posture for mercy and grace, but are we still in the same attitude when its over.

the book of judges shows that over and over even as a nation of people. there's a Psalm that declares the same I just don't know which one.

but contentment isn't encouraged in a capitalist society like ours, its basically bad for the economy. want is the engine that brings profit to the advertisers. so we in the US of A have that challenge, so to speak, to keep in perspective the things the Lord has allowed us to have at hand.
You are both wrong and right.

I think God very much promised us happiness: that’s why the Bible keeps telling us to rejoice and to take delight.

But you are totally right in that we are to crave a different kind of happiness than that advertised in this capitalist, materialist world of ours:

“ But rejoice insofar as you share in Christ’s sufferings, so that you may rejoice and be glad also in the revelation of His glory.“ (1 Peter 4:19)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think God very much promised us happiness: that’s why the Bible keeps telling us to rejoice and to take delight.

But you are totally right in that we are to crave a different kind of happiness than that advertised in this capitalist, materialist world of ours:

“ But rejoice insofar as you share in Christ’s sufferings, so that you may rejoice and be glad also in the revelation of His glory.“ (1 Peter 4:19)

where not saying no one should rejoice in the Lord or to be glad to be a partaker therein. it is what one considers happiness and everything else that doesn’t satisfy their need for happiness is evil. therefore they idolize what they see as happiness in there own judgement. and you are still wrong if you think you are entitled happiness from God.

if what He is, is what you want, desire honor respect fear love so on and so forth then you will not be found wanting. the Lord is King David's Shepard and he did not want. because the Lord his God is what King David loved honored and feared.

Reactions: Truth

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
it seems many think God is to be equated with what one considers happiness and everything else that doesn’t satisfy their need for happiness is evil.

Hence, they wouldn’t be happy to fear God (as the bible instructs many times over) therefore that can’t be their god in their own judgement of what their god is, because by all intents and purposes their god is to make them happy, what they considered good.

There are those who try to find happiness in the things of the world but these things shake and fade away and with that, they try to replace the happiness that is no longer there. In other words, they are seeking Jesus without even knowing it. Simon said to Jesus, "Everyone is looking for you!" Mark 1:37.

Believers should rest and have security and happiness in Jesus and to say God doesn't want them to be happy is a joke and to say happiness is their God is not evil.

The proof is knowing Jesus lives in you, a new and living way, Hebrews 10:20 and with that, perfect love casts out fear, 1 John 4:18.

Reactions: junobet

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
where not saying no one should rejoice in the Lord or to be glad to be a partaker therein. it is what one considers happiness and everything else that doesn’t satisfy their need for happiness is evil. therefore they idolize what they see as happiness in there own judgement. and you are still wrong if you think you are entitled happiness from God.

if what He is, is what you want, desire honor respect fear love so on and so forth then you will not be found wanting. the Lord is King David's Shepard and he did not want. because the Lord his God is what King David loved honored and feared.
Yes, I understood what you meant to say and I agree that we should not crave superficial happiness and vain pleasures. Of Course we are not entitled happiness from God, we're entitled to nothing. But I think God does not only want us to fear Him, He also wants us to take delight in Him, just as David says:

“Clap your hands, all you people!
Shout to God with a joyful voice.” (Psalm 47:1)

In this spirit – to cheer people here up - this is the translation one of my favourite hymns:

“Celebrate, rejoice, rise up and praise these days,
glorify what the Highest has done today!
Abandon despair, banish laments,
sound forth full of delight and happiness!
Serve the Highest with glorious choruses,
let us honor the name of the Supreme Ruler“

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

This goes to support total depravity, that even seekers are driven by desire to be happy through a relationship with God.

It is as John and that hymn goes, we love God because he first loved us.

Love is not selfish.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This goes to support total depravity, that even seekers are driven by desire to be happy through a relationship with God.

It is as John and that hymn goes, we love God because he first loved us.

Love is not selfish.

yea but that means one is able to love God, because He loved us first. just as one can't be born of the Spirit unless it be of the will of the Spirit. one can't receive the Life of Christ unless God first wills that to happen. you can't be born into the world without the actions of others first. so one can't experience love of God for God without His love first.

but to seek opportunity of fulfillment of what is in the heart is a natural occurrence that's so instinctive that one can't escape the heart and the desires therein. therefore when the Lord God places His law in the hearts of those He loves then there hearts are to become like His.

therefore in the case of happiness and what they considers happiness is idolized as good and their god, and everything else that doesn’t satisfy their need for happiness is evil. I see the argument here all the time, trying to convert Christianity into this view.

simple you and many others go to God is love. but its God's love. also seeing God is love then God defines what love is. but these define what love is knowing what they love, therefore define what their god is. and because they are correct about what they think and love, they refuse to see that what they think is incorrect and that God defines what love is. in a free society one is free to believe what they want about anything, therefore in their hearts and minds they use secular law to supersede the Truth of God in scripture, and use only text excerpts from verses that can be used to support their views. no different then what the serpent did in the garden.

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well I think it was Peace that passes all understanding, When we are confronted with Trials and Tribulation, we are to show a Peace that others can't understand, Blessings, and Joy Unspeakable in the Lord!

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I think it was Peace that passes all understanding, When we are confronted with Trials and Tribulation, we are to show a Peace that others can't understand, Blessings, and Joy Unspeakable in the Lord!

yea but I panic, when confronted with Trials and Tribulation, actually I run screaming down the street. ok you can put me on ignore now.

but you're correct and its all of the Lord our God's, for example many think to have world peace and that is the focus but its really about God's Peace with you in that you can dwell with Him in His Pease that passes understanding. when the Lord comes, peace in the world will be enforced by His Presence, but it won't come peacefully will it? but we will already be in and at Peace with God.

Reactions: Truth

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happiness: OED

The state of pleasurable content of mind, which results from success or the attainment of what is considered good.

Happiness Internet:

the state of being happy.

synonyms: pleasure, contentment, satisfaction, cheerfulness, merriment, gaiety, joy, joyfulness, joviality, jollity, glee, delight, good spirits, lightheartedness, well-being, enjoyment;

....said every unhappy person