Has a lot of you researched about historical evidence of Jesus? Discuss!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was wondering about this, what others have to say about this! Thanks! Not necessarily ''evidence'' but the history of Jesus that can point to evidence. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read a few books. Ian Wilson's Jesus: The Evidence; John Meier's A Marginal Jew (Part 1) (I couldn't bring myself to go looking for parts 2-4 in the days before Amazon); Josh McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict. At one time I found such things interesting. I kinda still do.

I'm curious as to why you're asking.

Last edited:

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've read a few books. Ian Wilson's Jesus: The Evidence; John Meier's A Marginal Jew (Part 1) (I couldn't bring myself to go looking for parts 2-4 in the days before Amazon); Josh McDowell's Evidence That Demands a Verdict. At one time I found such things interesting. I kinda still do.

I'm curious as to why you're asking.
oh, I just haven't gone as far as looking into the historical evidence of Jesus. That would be interesting so I decided since i haven't yet, maybe i can get info on what others have already done it that and that would surely do something in terms of understanding and confirming in my faith!

Reactions: Lambano

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Josh McDowell has a lot of material on this, and there are certainly others. McDowell simply catalogues of lot of what has been written about it over the years.

My own sense of Jesus' historical reality is based on common sense. Jesus isn't exactly a mythical, legendary figure. He had 12 major disciples who spearheaded the effort to start the Church throughout the Roman Empire and elsewhere.

Christianity didn't begin out of nothing, just like heaven and earth did not come into existence out of nothing. A Creator had to create it. There had to be a Jesus.

Beyond this, the Gospel accounts of what Jesus said is nothing short of amazing. He synthesizes all of the truths of the Law into moral teachings that reflected on himself as divine, and others as sinners in need of his redemption. Nothing about what he said rings false or hollow. Everyone who follows him, even today, in some way sounds like him.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Evidence. ( FAITH)

John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Colossians 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.