Has anyone here ever read this document?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cannot you decide for yourself that Haitian Voodoo is false, or do you need counsel from a superior to inform you?
We can agree that it is false.

What is the next one on your list we can agree on?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. I doubt if they wanted to go that far. But, I do believe they were smart enough to see that the way we are now going is not God's will, and that we had best try to rectify the mess we have made of things with our destructive divisions.
It is difficult to determine their intent so I agree with you...I don't know either, however, it seems more logical that a bunch of pastors, bishops, religious leaders etc. WOULD want to fulfill scripture.

In your opinion, what is the best way to rectify this mess and do away with our destructive divisions?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. It was devised by deluded though perhaps sincere men attempting to reunite what God divided at Babel. Beware when truth becomes the first casualty...its a sign of war.
Interesting that you would call these men deluded when they want to UNITE and be one voice and fulfill the prayer of Jesus in John 17:20-23 and the aforementioned passage from Corinthians.

I think a person that calls men that are attempting to fulfill scripture and Jesus prayer "deluded" is actually deluded themselves.

Mary

Reactions: Willie T

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is difficult to determine their intent so I agree with you...I don't know either, however, it seems more logical that a bunch of pastors, bishops, religious leaders etc. WOULD want to fulfill scripture.

In your opinion, what is the best way to rectify this mess and do away with our destructive divisions?

Mary
I don't think the "opinion" of an old man on a forum full of equally undistinguished people could really out-class anything all those learned leaders came up with.
But, in a nutshell, I might say to church leaders, "Swallow your pride, Everyone."

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the "opinion" of an old man on a forum full of equally undistinguished people could really out-class anything all those learned leaders came up with.
But, in a nutshell, I might say to church leaders, "Swallow your pride, Everyone."
That is very humble of you.

To "swallow pride"means one would have to ignore their ego...which it seems they did.

I am not sure what YOU mean by Swallow their pride?

Mary

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very humble of you.

To "swallow pride"means one would have to ignore their ego...which it seems they did.

I am not sure what YOU mean by Swallow their pride?

Mary
Putting aside personal egos is not always the same as seeing our "pride of being a __________ ." (Fill in the Denomination of your choice.)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Putting aside personal egos is not always the same as seeing our "pride of being a __________ ." (Fill in the Denomination of your choice.)
Thank you. I think I understand what you are saying.

You think a person should put aside their pride of being a Catholic or Baptist or Lutheran etc. etc.? Well, once again, it seems they did do that in their letter since the letter has general wording that all of Christianity can generally agree with. I don't see any "denominational" wording in the letter. Unless you saw something that I missed?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having pride in the doctrines/dogma of ones denomination. After all, if you believe in your heart that your denomination is teaching the Truth and that every other denomination is wrong and only has a portion of the Truth, shouldn't one be proud of that?

Mary

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. I think I understand what you are saying.

You think a person should put aside their pride of being a Catholic or Baptist or Lutheran etc. etc.? Well, once again, it seems they did do that in their letter since the letter has general wording that all of Christianity can generally agree with. I don't see any "denominational" wording in the letter. Unless you saw something that I missed?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having pride in the doctrines/dogma of ones denomination. After all, if you believe in your heart that your denomination is teaching the Truth and that every other denomination is wrong and only has a portion of the Truth, shouldn't one be proud of that?

Mary
Actually, that just might kick me in the butt enough to take a closer look at my beliefs.
Most insane people also think that only what they believe is right, while the rest of the world has to be wrong.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, that just might kick me in the butt enough to take a closer look at my beliefs. Most insane people also think that only what they believe is right, while the rest of the world has to be wrong.
I have found a swift kick in the butt is needed sometimes. As you may know, if you have kids ;)

How do you believe we, as a Christian community, can discern who is right and who is wrong? We all read from the same book but come up with different answers. For instance a majority of Christians and Christian Churches teach that abortion and gay marriage is wrong. There as some (very few) that teach opposite of that. Does the "majority" of Christians decide what all Christians should believe is the Truth of scripture? Who are the insane ones in those two teachings?

I for one sure would like to know who the "insane" ones are so I can stay away from them....How do we decide that?:)

Mary

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have found a swift kick in the butt is needed sometimes. As you may know, if you have kids ;)

How do you believe we, as a Christian community, can discern who is right and who is wrong? We all read from the same book but come up with different answers. For instance a majority of Christians and Christian Churches teach that abortion and gay marriage is wrong. There as some (very few) that teach opposite of that. Does the "majority" of Christians decide what all Christians should believe is the Truth of scripture? Who are the insane ones in those two teachings?

I for one sure would like to know who the "insane" ones are so I can stay away from them....How do we decide that?:)

Mary
I hope I never find myself believing everything a particular denomination teaches. I don't even agree with everything the Major Creeds state.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope I never find myself believing everything a particular denomination teaches. I don't even agree with everything the Major Creeds state.
Sounds like you are an open minded person!

Do you believe everything you have taught yourself? Or to be asked a different way: What you have taught yourself to be true, you believe to be true. Correct?

What is the biggest statement in the Apostles Creed that you disagree with? It seems pretty general to me that all Christians can agree with.

Mary

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First impression: the documents writer's need to use a little bit of formatting.

Impression once I get over that: I am all for Christians of all stripes working together to better love each other/everyone, and promote common goals. This doesn't mean we have to pretend we're all identical in our beliefs, or that those differences aren't important. But that even while acknowledging those differences we can still love each other, serve everyone, and strive for common goals.

I agree with you that the formatting is horrible. I can't read the whole thing. People need to learn to divide their writing into paragraphs--not too short and not too long! I could lapse into English teacher mode and do a lesson on what makes a good paragraph, but I'll spare all of you who really don't care. :)

Many of my beliefs as a Christian don't line up with those of the Catholic Church at all. I don't mean to offend the Catholics on this forum, but I believe that at least some Catholic dogma is based totally on man's reasoning and not the Bible. This is dangerous.
However, I also believe that we can work together on some issues. For instance, I appreciate the open stand many Catholics have taken on the issue of abortion. I'd like to see Protestants be as consistent in fighting this injustice to the unborn and women as Catholics have been.

Above all, it's important for Protestants not to hate Catholics and vice versa. We will never agree on everything, but we don't need to be having bloody fights with one another. We all need to remember who the real enemy is, and the real enemy works through all kinds of churches at times. We should all treat each other with dignity and respect when we voice our disagreements.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like you are an open minded person!

Do you believe everything you have taught yourself? Or to be asked a different way: What you have taught yourself to be true, you believe to be true. Correct?

What is the biggest statement in the Apostles Creed that you disagree with? It seems pretty general to me that all Christians can agree with.

Mary
Well, it is just exactly that generalization I shy from. I find I have no idea what is meant when it says I am to "believe in the communion of Saints." Frankly, that can mean almost anything.

B

brakelite

Interesting that you would call these men deluded when they want to UNITE and be one voice and fulfill the prayer of Jesus in John 17:20-23 and the aforementioned passage from Corinthians.

I think a person that calls men that are attempting to fulfill scripture and Jesus prayer "deluded" is actually deluded themselves.

Mary
Even more interesting that you feel the necessity to take over the work of the Father to whom Jesus was praying in John 17. He wasn't asking you to unite his people... Jesus was asking his Father to do that. The very fact that Lutherans can pretend to be now united with Rome despite some completely disparate differences in doctrine concerning salvation, is evidence that God is not involved in any way whatsoever with the current dogs breakfast called ecumenism.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even more interesting that you feel the necessity to take over the work of the Father to whom Jesus was praying in John 17. He wasn't asking you to unite his people... Jesus was asking his Father to do that. The very fact that Lutherans can pretend to be now united with Rome despite some completely disparate differences in doctrine concerning salvation, is evidence that God is not involved in any way whatsoever with the current dogs breakfast called ecumenism.
I'm not a fan of "ecumenism", which I understand being trying to (on a system-wide level) unite two beliefs systems and make them one. Rather, I think that if any conversion is going to happen, it should always be on the individual scale.

However, I am fan of different folks from beliefs systems working together and treating each other with loving respect.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie, this process has been underway for some time. TheHolyBookEnds posted on it exhaustively some months back yet few were interested let alone took notice.
Well, that is understandable. Not many forum people want to be preached at in two or three long, long, boring posts. I really didn't think very many people would bother to read this OP Document.

Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009